Home Mobile Forum News Cookbook FaceBook Us T-Shirts etc.: Europe/Worldwide. eBay Motorsport Links Advertising Live Chat  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > NASCAR & Stock Car Racing


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10 Aug 2017, 06:45 (Ref:3758549)   #1
gttouring
Veteran
 
gttouring's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location:
USB 2.0 port II
Posts: 4,528
gttouring should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Composite bodies

So next year at some tracks teams in Xfinity series will be allowed to use flange fit composite bodies in NASCAR, making this even weirder to call it stock cars.
I read this on motorsport.com
Composite bodies to debut...
And
https://www.nascar.com/news-media/20...ll-time-by-19/

What the heck?

I like the big tall spoilers and steel cars,but am thinking this will go with a move to smaller engines, maybe stock based and noise limits and lighter cars

After all those new ford Mustangs and dodge challengers sound solo good on the street
Heck even Toyota tundra v8s sound good.




Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk
gttouring is offline  
__________________
SuperTrucks rule- end of story.
Listen to my ramblings! Follow my twitter @davidAET
I am shameless ...
Quote
Old 10 Aug 2017, 11:39 (Ref:3758595)   #2
broadrun96
Veteran
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
United States
Posts: 3,403
broadrun96 has a real shot at the championship!broadrun96 has a real shot at the championship!broadrun96 has a real shot at the championship!broadrun96 has a real shot at the championship!broadrun96 has a real shot at the championship!broadrun96 has a real shot at the championship!
Surprisingly the lower classes have used one piece composite bodies since early 2010s but the major series have not. Arca/K&N went to same build of cars a couple years ago with full composite single piece bodies and now have settled on composite body panels for ease of repair. But supposedly it is 'significantly lighter' according to the series.

Course they also went to a quasi-spec engine package with an Ilmor built LS engine.
broadrun96 is online now  
__________________
It was fun while it lasted, have enjoyed the people I've met but the measuring contests and arguments over who's more insider and who's smarter has just made it not worth the effort any longer. It should be fun, not work and it's just work to find actual information.
Quote
Old 10 Aug 2017, 12:42 (Ref:3758613)   #3
Number4
Racer
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
England
Berkshire, England
Posts: 124
Number4 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by gttouring View Post
So next year at some tracks teams in Xfinity series will be allowed to use flange fit composite bodies in NASCAR, making this even weirder to call it stock cars.
I read this on motorsport.com
Composite bodies to debut...
And
https://www.nascar.com/news-media/20...ll-time-by-19/

What the heck?

I like the big tall spoilers and steel cars,but am thinking this will go with a move to smaller engines, maybe stock based and noise limits and lighter cars

After all those new ford Mustangs and dodge challengers sound solo good on the street
Heck even Toyota tundra v8s sound good.




Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk
There is not a single part on a Cup, Xfinity, or Truck that is "stock" at the moment. Instead of teams spending hours forming sheet metal into a body that have to fit strict templates, they will be able to unclip and refit a moulded panel in next to no time.
They run tapered spacer air restrictors at all tracks in Cup, and plates at the superspeedways, so new engine rules make sense.
NASCAR rules moving out of the 50's and into the 90's would at least be a positive step
Number4 is offline  
Quote
Old 10 Aug 2017, 18:07 (Ref:3758659)   #4
FIRE
Race Official
Veteran
 
FIRE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Netherlands
Posts: 16,146
FIRE has a real shot at the podium!FIRE has a real shot at the podium!FIRE has a real shot at the podium!FIRE has a real shot at the podium!FIRE has a real shot at the podium!
Logical move but will miss the hammering and bending of the sheet metal after a crash.
FIRE is offline  
Quote
Old 10 Aug 2017, 18:28 (Ref:3758665)   #5
gttouring
Veteran
 
gttouring's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location:
USB 2.0 port II
Posts: 4,528
gttouring should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Number4 View Post
There is not a single part on a Cup, Xfinity, or Truck that is "stock" at the moment. Instead of teams spending hours forming sheet metal into a body that have to fit strict templates, they will be able to unclip and refit a moulded panel in next to no time.
They run tapered spacer air restrictors at all tracks in Cup, and plates at the superspeedways, so new engine rules make sense.
NASCAR rules moving out of the 50's and into the 90's would at least be a positive step
i know that, but my suspension of disbelief is in effect, steel cars steel race cars, most i was to ask for since it isn't stock but a tin top.
but now it will be a plasti-top or fiber top
i know it isn't new all together, but this only invites other changes as mentioned.
a car that loses 500 lbs (240kg?) with the current 950HP motor will go how much faster? will they choke the engine, or down size it? like ARCA and their specish motors.
i expect the same- it doesn't do anything to lessen the racing when things are so equal but the fan backlash and it can hurt the image and we know the dmaage this does like in indy car etc.
frankly i though NASCAR was going to go and use the DP (first gen) as a replacement for the cup series, but it didn't do that did it.

the drivers creep closer to the center every generation of car, which is okay, it is for safety. but what is the want and desire of the people in charge.

they say the composite bodies will lower costs, and at the same time they mention all the body and metal shops supporting teams..will not be needed.
doh! lots of folks will be out of work, seeing as composites will likely be sourced from one or 2 suppliers.

overall though i am interested in seeing where this goes, i really do enjoy my NASCAR
it isn't all bad
gttouring is offline  
__________________
SuperTrucks rule- end of story.
Listen to my ramblings! Follow my twitter @davidAET
I am shameless ...
Quote
Old 15 Sep 2017, 10:41 (Ref:3767046)   #6
Number4
Racer
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
England
Berkshire, England
Posts: 124
Number4 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The Xfinity teams used the composite bodies last weekend at Richmond. I did not realise until Jeff Burton mentioned it. The cars looked absolutely identical and I could see no difference in performance at all.
Number4 is offline  
Quote
Old 17 Sep 2017, 14:03 (Ref:3767947)   #7
gttouring
Veteran
 
gttouring's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location:
USB 2.0 port II
Posts: 4,528
gttouring should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Number4 View Post
The Xfinity teams used the composite bodies last weekend at Richmond. I did not realise until Jeff Burton mentioned it. The cars looked absolutely identical and I could see no difference in performance at all.
Funny isn't it, they must maintain wieght with balast,how are the lap time not better, I didn't catch the race

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk
gttouring is offline  
__________________
SuperTrucks rule- end of story.
Listen to my ramblings! Follow my twitter @davidAET
I am shameless ...
Quote
Reply

Bookmarks




Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Composite moldings richard_sykes Racing Technology 21 26 Aug 2005 10:29
Barnard and Williams have composite gearbox! Inigo Montoya Formula One 19 22 Nov 2002 20:39
Spec bodies Crash Test NASCAR & Stock Car Racing 7 29 Apr 2000 15:42


Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3

All times are GMT. The time now is 03:44.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Original Website Copyright © 1998-2003 Craig Antil. All Rights Reserved.
Ten-Tenths Motorsport Forums Copyright © 2004-2016 Royalridge Computing. All Rights Reserved.