Home Mobile Forum News Cookbook FaceBook Us T-Shirts etc.: Europe/Worldwide. eBay Motorsport Links Advertising Live Chat  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 26 Aug 2017, 06:15 (Ref:3761668)   #16
Paul Leek
Rookie

United Kingdom
Benenden, Kent
Paul Leek should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by bauble View Post
Anyone interested in learning more about Mike should read 'Challenge Me The Race' and 'Champion Year' both illuminating and amusing reqds.

Advertisment. I have a copy of Mike Hawthorn, Golden Boy I could be parted from.
"Mon Ami Mate" by Cris Nixon which tells the stories of JMH and Peter Collins is also essential reading.
Old 26 Aug 2017, 18:46 (Ref:3761743)   #17
Erich Stahler
Rookie

United Kingdom
Surrey
Erich Stahler should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I saw the documentary, very interesting to me particularly as I live in Farnham his old town where there are still plenty of reminders of him. Consequently I knew quite a bit about him but I didnt realise he was more or less to blame for the 1955 crash at Le Mans which caused many crowd fatalities! Came as quite a shock to me.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk
Old 26 Aug 2017, 20:24 (Ref:3761765)   #18
bauble
Veteran

England
Bedfordshire
bauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Erich Stahler View Post
I saw the documentary, very interesting to me particularly as I live in Farnham his old town where there are still plenty of reminders of him. Consequently I knew quite a bit about him but I didnt realise he was more or less to blame for the 1955 crash at Le Mans which caused many crowd fatalities! Came as quite a shock to me.

Some blamed Mike for the accident, some blamed Macklin, a few blamed Levegh, but as he died and he was French, little was said. However he was probably too old for such a fast car, and at the end of the day it was a combination of the narrow road, no separate pit road, and the huge speed differential of the cars.

To try and apportion blame was pointless ... it was a 'racing accident'. It certainly ruined Macklin's life, for it was his manoeuvre that launched the Mercedes into the barrier, regardless of why he had to move across.

The design of the Merc using I think magnesium alloy also contributed to the casualties.

Having witnessed the accident I have never wanted to return to Le Mans.
Old 27 Aug 2017, 06:18 (Ref:3761850)   #19
Mike Bell
Race Official
Veteran

England
Attleborough- 5 minutes from Snet!
Mike Bell has a real shot at the podium!Mike Bell has a real shot at the podium!Mike Bell has a real shot at the podium!Mike Bell has a real shot at the podium!
That a very balanced view and I think the one most would support. Whatever the cause, the results were absolutely horrific, and a stark reminder of the dangers of motor racing in those days.
Old 27 Aug 2017, 08:03 (Ref:3761857)   #20
Erich Stahler
Rookie

United Kingdom
Surrey
Erich Stahler should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Some blamed Mike for the accident, some blamed Macklin, a few blamed Levegh, but as he died and he was French, little was said. However he was probably too old for such a fast car, and at the end of the day it was a combination of the narrow road, no separate pit road, and the huge speed differential of the cars.

To try and apportion blame was pointless ... it was a 'racing accident'. It certainly ruined Macklin's life, for it was his manoeuvre that launched the Mercedes into the barrier, regardless of why he had to move across.

The design of the Merc using I think magnesium alloy also contributed to the casualties.

Having witnessed the accident I have never wanted to return to Le Mans.
Bauble,
Thanks for the clarification from an eye witness, must have been a terrible thing to see. Can understand your feeling about the plave since.

Old 27 Aug 2017, 08:41 (Ref:3761860)   #21
Aysedasi
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Indeed so. Much has been said about the accident and every 'general' film about Le Mans (such as the recent 'Tuesday Documentary') just has to include it, sadly. I have to say that I've stood on those tribunes many, many times over the last 32 years and my thoughts have often turned to the appalling carnage in 1955. Even going back a little less in history and Norbert Haug's Flying Circus, you just don't want to think about the outcome had that happened in a place where spectators were crowded. I too understand why you wouldn't want to go back....
Old 27 Aug 2017, 09:54 (Ref:3761883)   #22
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridS griffin should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridS griffin should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridS griffin should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I just want to say that the drivers who were in the accident were just minding their own business and they all met in the middle with each other

I just want to know why the great Stirling was not on the program
Old 27 Aug 2017, 10:31 (Ref:3761898)   #23
Alan Morgan
Subscriber
Veteran

Alan Morgan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
I just want to know why the great Stirling was not on the program
He's spent several months in hospital this year so may not have been well enough.
Old 27 Aug 2017, 10:54 (Ref:3761904)   #24
midgetman
Veteran

England
Rural Wiltshire
midgetman has a real shot at the championship!midgetman has a real shot at the championship!midgetman has a real shot at the championship!midgetman has a real shot at the championship!midgetman has a real shot at the championship!
I watched it on UK TV web site on my laptop trackside. It is a very interesting documentary to people like me who of course knew of MH but weren't around at the time. I learned quite a bit about the man and events of the time. I thought it was an excellent portrait.

Sent from my EVA-L09 using Tapatalk
Old 27 Aug 2017, 13:45 (Ref:3761986)   #25
Gerard C
Subscriber
Veteran

France
Paris area
Gerard C should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Some blamed Mike for the accident, some blamed Macklin, a few blamed Levegh, but as he died and he was French, little was said. However he was probably too old for such a fast car, and at the end of the day it was a combination of the narrow road, no separate pit road, and the huge speed differential of the cars.To try and apportion blame was pointless ... it was a 'racing accident'.Having witnessed the accident I have never wanted to return to Le Mans.
Ami Robert, I dont know if my late dad was at Le Mans this day but I remember from mom's words he did know Levegh. I'm quite convinced he wouldn't disagree with you and may be he could add some other words.
As Mike said, easy to understand you dont want to go back to this place since. On a different mode, my dad's first name is the same as yours, Ami Robertů
Old 27 Aug 2017, 15:50 (Ref:3762024)   #26
Tel 911S
Racer

Tel 911S should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridTel 911S should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Erich Stahler View Post

There was a BBC program called [ I believe ] "The Deadliest Crash " , which attempted to blame Hawthorn for the crash .
This was a lot of faked quotes & not accurate pictures .
Genuine film footage of the time , & an investigation by the Race Stewards proved it was not Hawthorns fault .
https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rc...0MVl_WC907bhaQ
Old 27 Aug 2017, 16:49 (Ref:3762035)   #27
Eric.D
Rookie

England
Bedfordshire
Eric.D should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tel 911S View Post
There was a BBC program called [ I believe ] "The Deadliest Crash " , which attempted to blame Hawthorn for the crash .
This was a lot of faked quotes & not accurate pictures .
Genuine film footage of the time , & an investigation by the Race Stewards proved it was not Hawthorns fault .
https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rc...0MVl_WC907bhaQ
Initially a shocked Hawthorn said that it had been his fault but that was shock talking, It was of course a 'racing accident' and a tragedy for everyone involved. A couple of months later Lance Macklin finished 5th in the Goodwood 9 Hours in the works HWM-Jaguar shared with Bill Smith.