Home Mobile Forum News Cookbook FaceBook Us T-Shirts etc.: Europe/Worldwide. eBay Motorsport Links Advertising Live Chat  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 5 Sep 2017, 09:19 (Ref:3764679)   #16
LC2guy
Veteran

LC2guy should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridLC2guy should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by crmalcolm View Post
Other than Vettel, how many others on that list were in driver development programmes with an aim to get them into their mentor's top team?

The route to a top car is already laid out for some at an early age.

That's really my point, you can't compare Apples to Oranges, especially with the Elongated Calendars we have in F1 today. There are good drivers in lower formulas that really have no chance, ever, as when they compete with " the chosen ones " in supposedly equal equipment, the reality is that the well funded Junior programmes are always going to give an unfair advantage, that gets taken all the way to F1. ( unless you are unlucky enough to arrive in F1 the year your Benefactor Team goes South ( Vandoorne ). ).
Old 5 Sep 2017, 09:28 (Ref:3764683)   #17
Mike Harte
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
W. Yorkshire
Mike Harte should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMike Harte should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by crmalcolm View Post
Other than Vettel, how many others on that list were in driver development programmes with an aim to get them into their mentor's top team?
It could be argued that Michael Schumacher was groomed by Mercedes for F1. He was part of their sports car driver scheme, and they actively sought his drive in the Jordan.

By the way, whilst talking about Schumacher, I am yet to be convinced that he was one of F1's greats. Yes, he undoubtedly created a number of records during his career and won many races. I would contend, though, that that was part a very high work rate ethic that helped create winning partnerships with his teams, also a part having very quick cars, moreover always ensuring that his teammate was a designated No 2, and also an utter ruthlessness/aggressiveness on track. Examples, nearly forcing his own brother just centimetres from the pit wall during a race, and his taking out Villeneuve to try to get another title.

And often when he was unable to win, for whatever reason, his teammates were able to easily to take the plaudits.
Old 5 Sep 2017, 10:48 (Ref:3764693)   #18
bauble
Veteran

England
Bedfordshire
bauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Harte View Post
It could be argued that Michael Schumacher was groomed by Mercedes for F1. He was part of their sports car driver scheme, and they actively sought his drive in the Jordan.

By the way, whilst talking about Schumacher, I am yet to be convinced that he was one of F1's greats. Yes, he undoubtedly created a number of records during his career and won many races. I would contend, though, that that was part a very high work rate ethic that helped create winning partnerships with his teams, also a part having very quick cars, moreover always ensuring that his teammate was a designated No 2, and also an utter ruthlessness/aggressiveness on track. Examples, nearly forcing his own brother just centimetres from the pit wall during a race, and his taking out Villeneuve to try to get another title.

And often when he was unable to win, for whatever reason, his teammates were able to easily to take the plaudits.
Pretty much in the Senna mould. While there were undoubtedly a few villains back in the '50's and 60'S, mainly the drivers respected each other, and in many cases good friends on and off track, I can not say when the 'win at all costs' mentality became prevalent but it was certainly common in the '80's.

With each example from a top driver, the more the rising stars will take note, and learn from the fallout. if any.

One only has to watch a Ginetta Junior race to see what has become acceptable, and don't mention the BTCC.
Old 5 Sep 2017, 11:23 (Ref:3764697)   #19
Mike Harte
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
W. Yorkshire
Mike Harte should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMike Harte should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
The BTCC!
Old 5 Sep 2017, 12:31 (Ref:3764711)   #20
LC2guy
Veteran

LC2guy should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridLC2guy should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Ssshhhh. I mentioned it once, but I think I got away with it ....
Old 5 Sep 2017, 12:40 (Ref:3764719)   #21
bauble
Veteran

England
Bedfordshire
bauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
The BTCC!
I have a well rounded approach to all forms of Motor Racing, except, Indycar, F3, WTCC, DTM ... oh and one or two others I can't recall at present.
Old 5 Sep 2017, 17:59 (Ref:3764776)   #22
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer has a real shot at the championship!chunterer has a real shot at the championship!chunterer has a real shot at the championship!chunterer has a real shot at the championship!chunterer has a real shot at the championship!
The only real way you can gauge a drivers level comparatively is by what they manage to do with the kit they are given season by season.

Even today we have a pretty good idea who has it and who hasn't but it was much easier to tell in the past when the cars were simpler yet arguably much harder to drive.
Old 5 Sep 2017, 19:27 (Ref:3764792)   #23
Mike Harte
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
W. Yorkshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by chunterer View Post
The only real way you can gauge a drivers level comparatively is by what they manage to do with the kit they are given season by season.

Even today we have a pretty good idea who has it and who hasn't but it was much easier to tell in the past when the cars were simpler yet arguably much harder to drive.
Do you see the irony , or is it a paradox, in what you say; probably quite unintentionally?

The FIA/FOM, as well as the drivers and team bosses, have repeatedly claimed that this year's cars would extra hard to drive, yet their seems to be little evidence so far to prove their point.
Old 5 Sep 2017, 19:31 (Ref:3764793)   #24
bauble
Veteran

England
Bedfordshire
Quote:
Do you see the irony , or is it a paradox, in what you say; probably quite unintentionally?

The FIA/FOM, as well as the drivers and team bosses, have repeatedly claimed that this year's cars would extra hard to drive, yet their seems to be little evidence so far to prove their point.
Why even teenage kids manage to drive without a problem,
Old 5 Sep 2017, 20:25 (Ref:3764801)   #25
Aysedasi
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Yep, it's a stroll in the park......

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9_mBYbJsUBQ

(Sorry, had to include the link - a favourite of mine..... )
Old 5 Sep 2017, 21:03 (Ref:3764813)   #26
bauble
Veteran

England
Bedfordshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aysedasi View Post
Yep, it's a stroll in the park......

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9_mBYbJsUBQ

(Sorry, had to include the link - a favourite of mine..... )
Why does that not surprise me?
Old 5 Sep 2017, 21:14 (Ref:3764816)   #27
Mike Harte
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
W. Yorkshire
This will be more to Baub's taste, or should that be ear.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ToPBAYlf2GQ
Old 6 Sep 2017, 14:27 (Ref:3764950)   #28
Aysedasi
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
This will be more to Baub's taste, or should that be ear.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ToPBAYlf2GQ
Nice one Mike

(I'll stick with my selection though..... )
Old 6 Sep 2017, 15:49 (Ref:3764968)   #29
bauble
Veteran

England
Bedfordshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aysedasi View Post
Nice one Mike

(I'll stick with my selection though..... )
| can't come up with a 'stroll' connection but I do like a bit of Rock'n (s)roll.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1dC0DseCyYE

Yardbirds
Old 6 Sep 2017, 16:10 (Ref:3764976)   #30
Eric.D
Rookie

England
Bedfordshire
Eric.D should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by bauble View Post
| can't come up with a 'stroll' connection but I do like a bit of Rock'n (s)roll.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1dC0DseCyYE

Yardbirds
When it comes to 'The Stroll' you ant beat the great Chuck Willis the acclaimed 'King Of he Stroll'. He could rock 'n' roll too!.