Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Baltic Touring Car Championship Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Touring Car Racing

Old 2 Oct 2017, 07:11 (Ref:3771182)   #126
rdjones
Take That Fan
Veteran

England
Leeds, Yorkshire
rdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Well done to Ash Sutton, however I do think that had Turkington not been hit I think he would have gone onto the win the championship. Hopefully he will be back at WSR next year to have another crack as in my view he is the best driver in the championship.
Old 2 Oct 2017, 08:17 (Ref:3771199)   #127
sceptic
Veteran

sceptic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Some facts, to clear up some of the rubbish that has been posted in this thread:

The BMWs didn't get any extra boost for race 2. The difference was all down to Colin being on the option tyre, which Ash had used in race 1 (when the track was so damp he couldn't get the best out of it).

Moffat's party was in the Mercure hotel, and didn't start until quite late in the evening, so websites that post photos of people tidying their garages out of context probably have their own agenda.

Colin was never going to get the same penalty as Ash received at Silverstone. It was Colin's first offence while it was Ash's third. The level of punishment goes up the more often you have to climb the naughty steps at the front of the bus.
Old 2 Oct 2017, 10:07 (Ref:3771223)   #128
steve_r
Veteran

Lord Howe Island
European Capital of Culture 2008
steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!
It really was looking like race 3 was going to be a classic. Shame to see it end like that. Never mind.

It's always nice to see a new Champion. Sutton drove brilliantly all year long. He was so good, that he got more points than his 3 teammates combined. I hope he is back to defend his title next year.

Delighted for Rob Austin in race 3 - what a drive that was.
Old 2 Oct 2017, 10:20 (Ref:3771225)   #129
850Estate
Veteran

Sweden
GBR/SWE
850Estate should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by sceptic View Post
Some facts, to clear up some of the rubbish that has been posted in this thread:

The BMWs didn't get any extra boost for race 2. The difference was all down to Colin being on the option tyre, which Ash had used in race 1 (when the track was so damp he couldn't get the best out of it).

Moffat's party was in the Mercure hotel, and didn't start until quite late in the evening, so websites that post photos of people tidying their garages out of context probably have their own agenda.

Colin was never going to get the same penalty as Ash received at Silverstone. It was Colin's first offence while it was Ash's third. The level of punishment goes up the more often you have to climb the naughty steps at the front of the bus.
I'm intrigued by this. I notice the tweet that linked on here is no longer up, so I'm assuming something happened, but I find it incredible to believe that the Touring Car Times have an agenda against Laser Tools/Cicely Racing/Aidan Moffat.

In saying that I've been around the BTCC long enough to know how weird things often are behind the scenes - so I guess nothing would surprise me.
Old 2 Oct 2017, 11:52 (Ref:3771244)   #130
touring fan01
Veteran

touring fan01 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridtouring fan01 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridtouring fan01 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
loving the conspiracy theory. all that happened is they were given special permission to start clearing their garage early as they had to pack up and go to a hotel to set up for aidens big birthday party straight after the race!
Old 2 Oct 2017, 12:08 (Ref:3771246)   #131
BobJones
Veteran

BobJones should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by GT6 View Post
Congrates to Ash, but absolutely great weekend at Brands, BTCC is well worth going to see in person. The whole series of races were good and whatever people say about penalties and ballast BTCC always delivers exciting racing right up to the very last race so they must be doing it right.
Absolutely, well said. Cracking spectator sport, glad you had fun.
Old 2 Oct 2017, 12:11 (Ref:3771247)   #132
BobJones
Veteran

BobJones should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by sceptic View Post

Yes, this was all utterly bananas. Goodness only knows why some folks thought he would get the same penalty as Sutton did at Silverstone. He was penalised as per the rules, the same penalty that Ash had already received early in the season for his first infraction. It was quite clear.
Old 2 Oct 2017, 16:47 (Ref:3771320)   #133
SteveLevin
Rookie

United States
near the Corkscrew!
SteveLevin should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobJones View Post
Yes, this was all utterly bananas. Goodness only knows why some folks thought he would get the same penalty as Sutton did at Silverstone. He was penalised as per the rules, the same penalty that Ash had already received early in the season for his first infraction. It was quite clear.
Actually, for the far more blantantly admitted "I punted him out of the way because I was faster" I expected him to get the same penalty that was given to Jonathan (dangit, can't recall his last name) driving a 3 series for WSR (or was it motorbase?) got for doing to same thing to Jason Plato a few years back.

The penalty Turkington got was a gift, pure and simple. But it did keep tensions high for a couple extra hours.

Steve
Old 2 Oct 2017, 17:32 (Ref:3771334)   #134
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveLevin View Post
Actually, for the far more blantantly admitted "I punted him out of the way because I was faster" I expected him to get the same penalty that was given to Jonathan (dangit, can't recall his last name) driving a 3 series for WSR (or was it motorbase?) got for doing to same thing to Jason Plato a few years back.

The penalty Turkington got was a gift, pure and simple. But it did keep tensions high for a couple extra hours.

Steve

Johnny Adam in the Motorbase BMW. What hacked me off about that was that was the same who had gotten away with worst
Old 2 Oct 2017, 20:12 (Ref:3771358)   #135
justracing
Veteran

United Kingdom
West Sussex
justracing should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridjustracing should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Biscuits In A Red Bull View Post
Reminds me of Shedden charging for the title a couple of years back. When it matters, they deliver. That drive was outstanding, I think Moffat braking so early with the ballast and that caught out Turks so he couldn't react, which is a shame. I'd understand a penalty, but I don't think Gow would ruin the show...
From where I was watching on South Bank I would say this interpretation is about right although not so much as Moffat breaking early as just not carrying the speed through Paddock Hill that Turkington anticipated. He didn't exactly punt him deliberately, he just ran in the back of him. I could have cried in the last race but that's racing. Great days live entertainment for me despite the weather! Deserved win for Sutton, Turks will be back, he's too good to not be there.
Old 3 Oct 2017, 06:55 (Ref:3771452)   #136
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveLevin View Post

Steve
The penalty Turkington got is exactly in-line with what others got on the first offense though. It says a lot about Turks driving standards that he only got his first offence in race 29 out of 30, whilst others had had so many offenses that they were approaching grid drops and race bans by that point. Most had burned their first penalty by rounds 4 or 5!
Old 3 Oct 2017, 07:03 (Ref:3771454)   #137
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!
If people remember, back in 2007 Turks had more or less the same incident when passing Matt Neal for the lead. In passing him, he hobbled the right rear of his car and then his 320 was crabbing for the rest of the race, however in that instance he managed to finish.

It does seem to be that the rear wishbones are not as strong as perhaps they once were, we see a lot of cars now get retired through either a tap to the rear wheel or a wack, I dont recall seeing that all too much in the past.
Old 3 Oct 2017, 15:13 (Ref:3771523)   #138
auroan
Veteran

auroan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sodemo View Post
It does seem to be that the rear wishbones are not as strong as perhaps they once were, we see a lot of cars now get retired through either a tap to the rear wheel or a wack, I dont recall seeing that all too much in the past.
NGTC rear subframes are totally different to the S2000 cars of the past. They actually design weak points (shear plates) into them so the repair costs are cheaper (replace individual parts rather than all the suspension.
Old 3 Oct 2017, 15:48 (Ref:3771529)   #139
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sodemo View Post
If people remember, back in 2007 Turks had more or less the same incident when passing Matt Neal for the lead. In passing him, he hobbled the right rear of his car and then his 320 was crabbing for the rest of the race, however in that instance he managed to finish.

You mean 2009?
Old 3 Oct 2017, 16:07 (Ref:3771535)   #140
Greem
Veteran

United Kingdom
Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by auroan View Post
NGTC rear subframes are totally different to the S2000 cars of the past. They actually design weak points (shear plates) into them so the repair costs are cheaper (replace individual parts rather than all the suspension.
Not sure if that's what happened to Turkington, but it seems a false economy if so. Having stronger suspension would have given him a chance of the championship, which I would argue brings in more money than the cost of replacing parts!
Old 3 Oct 2017, 16:46 (Ref:3771543)   #141
Mike Harte
Veteran

United Kingdom
W. Yorkshire
Mike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greem View Post
Not sure if that's what happened to Turkington, but it seems a false economy if so. Having stronger suspension would have given him a chance of the championship, which I would argue brings in more money than the cost of replacing parts!
If they are spec parts, could the thinking behind it be to try to stop competitors tapping each other at that point of the car? Although it seems not to be very well thought out as it is the innocent party that is always the one that is disadvantaged!
Old 3 Oct 2017, 16:49 (Ref:3771547)   #142
peebee2
Veteran

peebee2 User had had their licence endorsedpeebee2 User had had their licence endorsed
You guys crack me up

Do you really think the usual suspects get involved in the costs of supplying spec-parts to sell one set per car? No money in that, only losses!
Old 3 Oct 2017, 18:24 (Ref:3771564)   #143
luckn002
Veteran

England
South England
luckn002 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=DfLVTWDRI98

Some of my amateur footage from Paddock Hill Bend on Sunday
Old 5 Oct 2017, 17:32 (Ref:3772122)   #144
FIRE
Race Official
Veteran

Netherlands
FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!
Although I cheer for BMW Ash Sutton is a deserved champion.
Old 10 Oct 2017, 15:29 (Ref:3773455)   #145
tbtstt
Veteran

United Kingdom
Redhill, England
tbtstt should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridtbtstt should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Few snaps from Brands...

...and a handful more here:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/229616...57686907557871