Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 3 Mar 2005, 23:39 (Ref:1241785)   #1
Rennen
Veteran

United Kingdom
Hertfordshire
Rennen should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRennen should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRennen should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRennen should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
More important is Ferrari's clever automatic tyre adjusting system!...you heard it here first folks!
Correct tyre pressures will be key to them lasting the distance and help preserve fading performance.
Old 4 Mar 2005, 00:21 (Ref:1241822)   #2
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rennen
More important is Ferrari's clever automatic tyre adjusting system!...you heard it here first folks!
Correct tyre pressures will be key to them lasting the distance and help preserve fading performance.
Serious?
Old 4 Mar 2005, 00:32 (Ref:1241830)   #3
Rennen
Veteran

United Kingdom
Hertfordshire
Rennen should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRennen should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRennen should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRennen should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Apparently so!
Old 4 Mar 2005, 01:26 (Ref:1241853)   #4
Dutton
Veteran

United Nations
Not Much North of Montana
Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!
I have heard this tyre pressure thing refered to. Don't know anything more though.
Old 4 Mar 2005, 08:17 (Ref:1242057)   #5
Super Tourer
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
East Anglia
Super Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
http://www.grandprix.com/ns/ns14361.html

Apparently teams will be testing pressures during stops and altering if required.

The Formula 1 pit stops this year will not feature tyre changes but while race fans might worry that watching fuel being pumped into a car is not very excitement we understand that things will be a little bit more exciting than expected because the teams will be using hand-held tyre pressure adjustors with which they will be able to increase or decrease the pressure of the tyres to take account changing temperatures.

If this was April I would have looked twice at this one...!
Old 4 Mar 2005, 08:29 (Ref:1242071)   #6
f1_carzy
Racer

United Kingdom
Bangor, Co Down
f1_carzy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
So, pit-stops are not going to be a dull affair....if not 8 guys changing the tyres, we will have atleast 4 checking tyres...most of the teams have the tyre-pressure testers...spotted some BAR mechanics carrying these on their shouders with the Ghostbuster stickers....
Old 4 Mar 2005, 08:47 (Ref:1242089)   #7
Dutton
Veteran

United Nations
Not Much North of Montana
Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!
So no more word on this automatic system thing of Ferrari's, then?
Old 4 Mar 2005, 08:53 (Ref:1242094)   #8
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rennen
Well I heard all about McLarens and BARs a couple of weeks ago and someone posted a picture of the BAR device in the Aussie F1 photographic thread. This was also report in Autosport a couple of weeks ago

It is a good idea, tyre pressures are crucial and they don't want to be stuck with a problem all the race. I bet the adjustments will be minute, but important.

Unless of course it is a while on track system. A good idea (and one I'd wondered about before), I wonder how it is achieves this. A valve to reduce it is easy, a pressured container to re-inflate - would affect wheel balancing.

Last edited by Adam43; 4 Mar 2005 at 08:55.
Old 4 Mar 2005, 09:33 (Ref:1242121)   #9
ralf fan
Forum Host
Veteran

United Nations
Apartment No.203
ralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Will be interesting to see...
Last year the BS's had big problems with re-starts after safety cars due to lack of pressure.... This year they'll line up on the grid again and the teams can work on the cars...i was wondering weather they can cover up the tyres again to keep the heat.... or even add some pressure to the tyres just before the restart?
Old 4 Mar 2005, 09:40 (Ref:1242127)   #10
Dave Brand
Veteran

England
Hadfield, Derbyshire (UK)
Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamAshmore
I wonder how it is achieves this. A valve to reduce it is easy, a pressured container to re-inflate - would affect wheel balancing.
Military vehicles (possibly off-road competition vehicles) use a system which uses an on-board compressor, with feed to the tyres through the wheel centres.
Old 4 Mar 2005, 10:15 (Ref:1242173)   #11
Rennen
Veteran

United Kingdom
Hertfordshire
I was told how it actually works but I erased the text in error opps! sorry folks.
Old 4 Mar 2005, 11:47 (Ref:1242252)   #12
sonic
Veteran

sonic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
As tyre temp increases so does the air inside (or whatever gas they fill F1 tyres with these days)

heat = expansion = an increase in pressure - which leads to overheating.

perhaps over these very long runs and tyres degrade they will want to increase pressure again towards the end of the race.

The ferrari system isn't on-board, its basically just a system that allows mechanics to adjust pressures very quickly during the stops.

They set the pressure on the gauge, stick it on the valve - then it automatically either takes out or puts in whatever airis required. clever stuff.

wonder what the rules are re: on-board pressure readjustments, im sure that would be benficial.
Old 4 Mar 2005, 12:11 (Ref:1242289)   #13
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
The BAR mechanics have their ghostbusters packs for that too, don't they? I know McLaren has a system too.

Found the picture from 1200Datto27's post http://tentenths.com/forum/showthrea...34#post1241034

Tyre pressures are so important as you say. I remember a critical time (or at least one time we heard about it) in Monaco '03. JPM and RS ran together early on, with RS pulling away early on. RS had started with slightly higher tyre pressures. However JPM eventually caught him back and went on to win the race.

Last edited by Adam43; 4 Mar 2005 at 12:14.
Old 4 Mar 2005, 12:14 (Ref:1242292)   #14
Super Tourer
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
East Anglia
Super Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Another tactic for us to follow!

JA can speculate about how much wind in the tyres, as well as how much fuel in the car!
Old 4 Mar 2005, 12:35 (Ref:1242309)   #15
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!
Can we speculate how much wind is coming out of JA?
Old 4 Mar 2005, 12:38 (Ref:1242310)   #16
ralf fan
Forum Host
Veteran

United Nations
Apartment No.203
ralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
There;s so much hot air coming from JA he could probably be used as a "pressure pumper" at Minardi....
Old 4 Mar 2005, 13:17 (Ref:1242336)   #17
RWC
Veteran

RWC should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
"The ferrari system isn't on-board, its basically just a system that allows mechanics to adjust pressures very quickly during the stops"

Thanks for that sonic,i wish people would check things first.Automatic tyre pressure adjustment (including maximum pressure bleeder valves) are banned in f1 for safety reasons
Old 4 Mar 2005, 13:33 (Ref:1242345)   #18
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Thanks for that RWC. When was it banned? We didn't know that, it appears both sonic and I thought it could be of some use. It just goes to show there are no new ideas

Has anyone seen any of the other teams with a similar device. Or is it only Ferrari, BAR and McLaren? I would imagine most have something similar, or a foot pump!

Last edited by Adam43; 4 Mar 2005 at 13:49.
Old 4 Mar 2005, 15:14 (Ref:1242401)   #19
Toth
Racer

Toth should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Brand
Military vehicles (possibly off-road competition vehicles) use a system which uses an on-board compressor, with feed to the tyres through the wheel centres.
It was used in off-road competition, I've definately seen it in the dakar rally but they've banned it too now. Here is a pic of the system. I guess they could make a nice "internal" version without that cable hanging about for F1 but I see it's banned there too.
Old 4 Mar 2005, 17:21 (Ref:1242482)   #20
sonic
Veteran

sonic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamAshmore
Thanks for that RWC. When was it banned? We didn't know that, it appears both sonic and I thought it could be of some use. It just goes to show there are no new ideas

Has anyone seen any of the other teams with a similar device. Or is it only Ferrari, BAR and McLaren? I would imagine most have something similar, or a foot pump!
I believe ferrari are the only ones who have a fully automated one where they preset an optimum pressure and the device does the rest

The others will have to rely on the mechanics to read the gauge and either inflate or deflate the tyres accordingly.
Old 4 Mar 2005, 17:24 (Ref:1242485)   #21
Red
Veteran

Romania
Bucharest, Romania
Red should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
That wouldn't be that much of an (dis)advantage, would it? The refuelling lasts like 8-10 seconds anyway, they have plenty of time, I believe.
Old 4 Mar 2005, 17:57 (Ref:1242522)   #22
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
I presume that they have sensors on the car so that they know the pressure before the car comes in? Then they can choose the pre-set. They will work to relative pressures presumably. Any set-up discussions to affect handling will be 'raise or lower by 0.5psi' the pressure, not a 'lets try 20.3psi'. (or whatever hot tyre pressures in F1 are).

I bet they are all working on whether the slow pit lane is long enough to cause significant drop in temp/pressure. Also they will be working with running pressures as opposed to cool pressures (albeit in tyre warmers). Although they already know this, as all tyres will be checked after a run anyway.

It will be a different working practice through the race though.