Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Road Car Forums > Road Car Forum

Old 16 Mar 2012, 14:41 (Ref:3042223)   #1
dtype38
Race Official
Veteran

England
East London
dtype38 has a real shot at the podium!dtype38 has a real shot at the podium!dtype38 has a real shot at the podium!dtype38 has a real shot at the podium!
Middle age men and convertibles?

Prompted by a reaction on another thread, I was wondering if there are ANY convertible cars that it's acceptable for a greying 50yr old bloke to drive round town in? I know our good friends at Top Gear would say a definite NO, but I'm not so sure that's the case. For example, if for the word convertible we put cabriolet then I'd agree, but if instead we try the words roadster or spider it conjures up a completely different idea of motoring. Would one of those be acceptable? Or is it a matter of size, eg a Mini would be a no-no, but would an Aston V12 a yes-yes?.... or just a knob-knob?

So that's the question. Can a self respecting man of a certain age find anything he can enjoy the sunshine in? Any ideas?

A Jaguar E-type roadster perhaps? Although I suspect that would just mean enjoying the sunshine while waiting for the breakdown truck. Something a bit more modern maybe?
Old 16 Mar 2012, 15:18 (Ref:3042252)   #2
Tim Falce
Race Official
Veteran

England
Very edge of S E London almost in Kent
Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!
I think you'd look good in this.
Attached Thumbnails
moggy 3wheeler.jpg  
Old 16 Mar 2012, 15:24 (Ref:3042257)   #3
nicanary
Veteran

Northern Ireland
Newtownards Co.Down
nicanary has a real shot at the podium!nicanary has a real shot at the podium!nicanary has a real shot at the podium!nicanary has a real shot at the podium!
My reaction in the other thread should really have been :- I'll get my Uggs and my husband's credit cards, darling.

I really don't care what people think, but some cars seem to have social connotations. My daughter (26, bright as a button) has all cars compartmentalised according to their perceived owners/users.

I had an MGB for a while ( no problems with that, it's a classic and therefore a hobby) but when I talked about a Honda S2000 to keep for fun and long-term investment she said "no way". Apparently all modern open 2-seaters (MX5, MGF etc.) are hairdressers cars.

Similarly, to her all cabriolets are for "ladies that lunch", and are too effete for any self-respecting man. She drools over the "Coburn" 250GT California, and anything that oozes class with an engine of 6+ cylinders,but doesn't realise that Daddy the Wallet hasn't the funds to fill the tank, let alone buy one.

I don't think this is a product of our times - the SSJaguars were regarded in their time as a "cad's" car. Social stigma isn't new.
Old 16 Mar 2012, 16:05 (Ref:3042277)   #4
Steven Humphrey
Veteran

England
cambridgeshire
Steven Humphrey should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSteven Humphrey should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Well I'm 42 & have owned a MK2 MX5 for nearly a year. Yes, I get all the hairdresser jokes (a mate even made up a magnetic 'mobile hairdresser' sign & planted it on my passenger door!) but then most people say, 'actually, they're really good cars'. And they are-you won't get more driving pleasure for your money.

I get the odd stare when driving through towns with the roof down but I don't really care-better than sweating my **** off! So just hide under a hat & dark glasses & don't worry what other people think
Old 16 Mar 2012, 16:43 (Ref:3042291)   #5
garcon
Weasel Wrangler
Veteran

Antarctica
Wilmslow, Cheshire
garcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
It's also worth remembering that the only two men who looked good in the back of a four seater convertible were Hitler and Mussolini.
Old 16 Mar 2012, 17:00 (Ref:3042298)   #6
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!
we had a convertible m3 for a while but to be honest i felt like a bit of a div in it. went nicely, but so did your street cred.

i think mazdas and hondas do work for guys - you don't really see that many girls driving them in reality. they don't have enough taste for starters
Old 16 Mar 2012, 17:18 (Ref:3042307)   #7
Steven Humphrey
Veteran

England
cambridgeshire
Steven Humphrey should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSteven Humphrey should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
My (slightly) younger brother had a Z3 for a while & got a lot more abuse in that than I do in the 5. The Alfa Spider is a nice looking car & ok for blokes, though you'd probably get plenty of abuse while standing beside it waiting for the AA. I think Porsches seem to have a bit more of a stigma attached to them, for some reason (probably a throwback to the yuppie days) so my next step would be a Lotus Elise (not a true convertible but close!). Anything above that & your talking silly money.
Old 16 Mar 2012, 18:44 (Ref:3042343)   #8
JHamilton
Veteran

United States
Atlanta, GA
JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!
The reason people make jokes about older gentlemen driving nice, convertible sports cars is because they are typically the only ones that can afford them. My dad is 62 and drives a torch red corvette vert. Screw what anyone else thinks, buy what you want.
Old 16 Mar 2012, 19:36 (Ref:3042371)   #9
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
terence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridterence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Chap opposite us has a new Merc whatever,always think of the old joke about the difference between a Hedgehog.Hedgehog has the pricks on the outside.
Old 16 Mar 2012, 19:40 (Ref:3042373)   #10
mountainstar
Veteran

United States
mountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
In my late teenage years I recognized that if I did what everyone else thought I should do or not do, I'd have a miserable life. Political correctness and conformity is constantly forced on us and how sad is that.

I wouldn't worry about what is appropriate or not, buy what you want.

Of the cars I have driven, if I had the money and wanted a car like this, I'd buy a 2007+ Jaguar XKR.

For more of a classic, I would think a Porsche 911(964) from 1989-1994 would be a good bargain that would also look great.

For something cheaper I'd get an American Ford Mustang 5.0 from 1987-1993. There are still plenty of nice convertibles out there that can be found and they are easy to fix and work on. Put some Flowmaster mufflers on and change the horn to one of those Dukes of Hazzard horns and you are all set. It's not hard work to import something from the USA.

Example:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/VERY-...item4163b8c411
Old 16 Mar 2012, 20:33 (Ref:3042439)   #11
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!
big old american cars are fine if all you're going to do is sit in them and fluff your hairdo. i don't think anyone in their right mind would run them in the uk at our fuel prices :/
Old 16 Mar 2012, 20:50 (Ref:3042452)   #12
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainstar View Post
In my late teenage years I recognized that if I did what everyone else thought I should do or not do, I'd have a miserable life. Political correctness and conformity is constantly forced on us and how sad is that.

I wouldn't worry about what is appropriate or not, buy what you want.
Did you get an ear-ring? Don't you worry, none of us here are trying to conform, we're just having a little fun with a stereotype.

Anyway, back to talking about cars.

An MG midget is the one. Lots of fun and you look great because everyone can see your driving gloves with the string lace on them.

Last edited by Adam43; 16 Mar 2012 at 21:07.
Old 16 Mar 2012, 20:59 (Ref:3042457)   #13
Tim Falce
Race Official
Veteran

England
Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!
Get an old man's car, an MGB...................ooops.
Old 16 Mar 2012, 21:07 (Ref:3042463)   #14
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
yep, that certainly is fun.
Old 16 Mar 2012, 22:16 (Ref:3042483)   #15
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
Kent+Mojacar Spain, but not always ?
GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!
I have a couple of A6 V6 ragtops on my books that belong to "gentlemen" of a certain age
Balls of steel (knob of butter) They're Asking For Larkins. ( Proper beer) not you're Eurofizz crap. Hace más calor en España. Me han conocido a hablar un montón cojones! Send any cheques and cash to PO box 1 Lagos Nigeria Africa !
Old 16 Mar 2012, 22:28 (Ref:3042487)   #16
Steven Humphrey
Veteran

England
cambridgeshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by bella View Post
big old american cars are fine if all you're going to do is sit in them and fluff your hairdo. i don't think anyone in their right mind would run them in the uk at our fuel prices :/
And those darn corners
Old 16 Mar 2012, 22:42 (Ref:3042493)   #17
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
peckstar has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
seems to me if you are worried about what other people think then maybe you are not ready for a convertible yet.

Get what you want because its what you want, teh teasing and the haters will happen no matter what

PS convertible driver for 13 years, currently in a 306
Old 16 Mar 2012, 23:17 (Ref:3042506)   #18
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Hairdresser.
Old 17 Mar 2012, 09:16 (Ref:3042622)   #19
Tim Falce
Race Official
Veteran

England
The main girlie convertibles have to be the Audi TT and Porcshe Boxter (posh hairdressers cars) and BMW convertibles (chav Essex girls).
Dtype38, just go for the XKSS rep, you know you want to.
Old 17 Mar 2012, 09:23 (Ref:3042625)   #20
dtype38
Race Official
Veteran

England
East London
dtype38 has a real shot at the podium!dtype38 has a real shot at the podium!dtype38 has a real shot at the podium!dtype38 has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by peckstar View Post
seems to me if you are worried about what other people think then maybe you are not ready for a convertible yet.
Now that's a fair point. It's not the attention I'm concerned about: I used to drive my Jaguar D-type replica round town and I'm not averse to going to Tesco's in the Mk2. It's just that I'd prefer not be an object of ridicule. For example, a chap who lives not far from me bought a canary yellow bentley convertible with matching hub caps and upholstery. I expect he thought that it was the dog's danglies, but I don't think I could cope with that much pointing and laughing from pedestrians!

How do we feel about the number of seats in a rag top. I agree with the problem about having anyone in the rear seats of a full on four seater. Is a 2+2 like the Jag XK better (4 seats but only two usable), or is that a pointless waste of leather?

Oh, in case anyone doesn't know the XKSS Tim suggested above...... (although a good replica comes in over £40k)
Attached Thumbnails
jaguar-xkss-erer.jpg  
Old 17 Mar 2012, 09:41 (Ref:3042636)   #21
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
It is odd, but I never considered anything like that here. Perhaps that is because it doesn't just win the desireable convertible prize it challenges for most desireable car ever.
Old 17 Mar 2012, 10:22 (Ref:3042661)   #22
nicanary
Veteran

Northern Ireland
Newtownards Co.Down
nicanary has a real shot at the podium!nicanary has a real shot at the podium!nicanary has a real shot at the podium!nicanary has a real shot at the podium!
This is getting interesting.

I agree about the Midget - I've had two RWA models over the years and they were nicer to drive (IMO) than the MGB, and they attract friendly attention of the right kind.

As has been pointed out, classics do tend to strand you at inconvenient times. For me it therefore has to be a good (Lynx,Proteus) C-type rep, alloy body ,proper XK motor and a modern 'box. Surely that passes muster?

As for four-seaters, what about a Willys Jeep?
Old 17 Mar 2012, 11:43 (Ref:3042702)   #23
Tim Falce
Race Official
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicanary View Post

As for four-seaters, what about a Willys Jeep?
I had one as my first car, along with a Mini, and it was the best fun outside the bedroom or kitchen table.
I am often tempted to get another but the prices now seem quite high.
Old 17 Mar 2012, 11:48 (Ref:3042705)   #24
dtype38
Race Official
Veteran

England
East London
I agree that if it's going to be a "classic" style car then a replica is probably the way to go. With modern brakes, electrics, etc. at least you're likely to actually get to a country pub. But even the ones you suggest are pretty expensive... last time I looked Lynx C-type's start around £80k which I think is too much for most of us here. For that price you could have a really nicely prepared E-type with change to buy a comprehensive spare parts store and tool kit for the boot

Money no object there are quite a few options in that direction... but lets keep this thread to something more affordable that you'd be happy to put the hood up/tonneau on and leave in a pub car-park without feeling the need to check on it every few minutes.
Old 17 Mar 2012, 11:53 (Ref:3042710)   #25
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
The Jeep is a bit left-field. What if it is decked out as if in a war. Camouflage, spade, radio, fake gun? Do you need to be concerned what people say then?