Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Road Car Forums > Road Car Forum

Old 18 Mar 2012, 20:33 (Ref:3044172)   #51
dtype38
Race Official
Veteran

England
East London
dtype38 has a real shot at the podium!dtype38 has a real shot at the podium!dtype38 has a real shot at the podium!dtype38 has a real shot at the podium!
This would be Stirling Moss in period in his original factory Jaguar D-type. The XKSS pictured earlier was Jaguar's attempt at a road-going supercar version, but the project was cut short by a fire at the factory. There are only a handful of real ones each worth millions, but I was contemplating a nice replica. Or possibly converting my own replica D-type into one. The second picture is what my car looked like when I first built it, and the last as it is now:
Attached Thumbnails
StirlingMossD.jpg   View Front.jpg   kenp-spa.jpg  

Old 18 Mar 2012, 20:41 (Ref:3044177)   #52
dtype38
Race Official
Veteran

England
East London
dtype38 has a real shot at the podium!dtype38 has a real shot at the podium!dtype38 has a real shot at the podium!dtype38 has a real shot at the podium!
Sorry, bit of thread diversion there. Back to convertibles for 50-somethings - with or without daughter approval!

How about..... (its a replica so has modern electrics etc)
Attached Thumbnails
Suffolk SS100.jpg  
Old 18 Mar 2012, 21:35 (Ref:3044203)   #53
nicanary
Veteran

Northern Ireland
Newtownards Co.Down
nicanary has a real shot at the podium!nicanary has a real shot at the podium!nicanary has a real shot at the podium!nicanary has a real shot at the podium!
Now we're getting somewhere. I've gone back to the first post, and there's no mention of maximum price, although my own bank manager would blanch at this one.

I recall a TV show testing a Suffolk SS100 - it wasn't Top Gear, but maybe 5th Gear or that Classic Car Roadshow thingy. I recall they really liked it.

(Apropos almost nothing:- I've just come off another website where the "enthusiasts" didn't know what HWM1 was, nor could they recognise a Lister "knobbly" or "flatiron"

Replicas - hmmm.. Hate 427 pastiches, but a Hawk 289 tastefully finished?
Old 18 Mar 2012, 23:14 (Ref:3044276)   #54
dtype38
Race Official
Veteran

England
East London
It was me who later suggested keeping it to things that might be "affordable" to avoid the danger of it just becoming a "fantasy garage" thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicanary View Post
Replicas - hmmm.. Hate 427 pastiches, but a Hawk 289 tastefully finished?
Now there's a thought, but if you want something in that line, might I suggest the Hawk 2.6 (built on the same chassis, but bodied as an ACE) :
Attached Thumbnails
ACHawkeAce.jpg  
Old 19 Mar 2012, 00:55 (Ref:3044337)   #55
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!
in my humble opinion, many of these cars would require the driver to be sporting a handlebar moustache...
Old 19 Mar 2012, 01:48 (Ref:3044367)   #56
mountainstar
Veteran

United States
mountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Some other suggestions:

Ferrari 348 Spider
Chevy Corvette C5 or C6 convertible
Old 19 Mar 2012, 04:23 (Ref:3044386)   #57
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
peckstar has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
agree with bella. big handlebar moustache

many of those cars are not for middle age men, there for men who have retired
Old 19 Mar 2012, 07:56 (Ref:3044428)   #58
garcon
Weasel Wrangler
Veteran

Antarctica
Wilmslow, Cheshire
garcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Some of those mentioned are for men who are lucky enough to have retired while they're still middle-aged.
Old 19 Mar 2012, 08:58 (Ref:3044454)   #59
Steptoe
Racer

England
10618 miles from Le Mans - NSW Australia
Steptoe should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSteptoe should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by dtype38 View Post
ANY convertible cars that it's acceptable for a greying 50yr old bloke to drive round town in?
IMHO Anything pre 1960 2 seater but there are rules;
Hood down whatever the weather
Not overly polished you're not going to a concours show
No driving gloves
No Beards & Pipes
Flying jacket only allowed if there is a blizzard and temp drops below -5c
Old 19 Mar 2012, 10:12 (Ref:3044515)   #60
dtype38
Race Official
Veteran

England
East London
Quote:
Originally Posted by garcon View Post
Some of those mentioned are for men who are lucky enough to have retired while they're still middle-aged.
Got me. Why do you think I asked the question!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bella View Post
in my humble opinion, many of these cars would require the driver to be sporting a handlebar moustache...
Like this you mean?
Attached Thumbnails
MyMate01.jpg  
Old 19 Mar 2012, 10:31 (Ref:3044528)   #61
nicanary
Veteran

Northern Ireland
Newtownards Co.Down
nicanary has a real shot at the podium!nicanary has a real shot at the podium!nicanary has a real shot at the podium!nicanary has a real shot at the podium!
Didn't know the Hawk 2.6 existed - lovely, just like Simon Taylor's, only cheaper.

I'd grow a handlebar 'tache if i thought someone would then buy me one.

re the corvette suggestion from our transatlantic friend, I've always thought they had a sort of medallion-man image over here, probably unfair, although many seem to be fitted with "Dukes of Hazzard" tune horns.
Old 19 Mar 2012, 11:20 (Ref:3044553)   #62
johngee
#WhatAreHashTags
Veteran

johngee has a real shot at the podium!johngee has a real shot at the podium!johngee has a real shot at the podium!johngee has a real shot at the podium!
Who on earth suggested a TVR? This is 10/Tenths .... not PistonHeads!

Having just bought a Merc coupe (see avatar), yes -I know it's not a really a convertable but at least it has a full length sunroof - I refuse to go to my grave in a 'eurobox'
I'm sure the wind is good for my bald patch!
Old 19 Mar 2012, 11:29 (Ref:3044556)   #63
nicanary
Veteran

Northern Ireland
Newtownards Co.Down
Quote:
Originally Posted by johngee View Post
Who on earth suggested a TVR? This is 10/Tenths .... not PistonHeads!

Having just bought a Merc coupe (see avatar), yes -I know it's not a really a convertable but at least it has a full length sunroof - I refuse to go to my grave in a 'eurobox'
I'm sure the wind is good for my bald patch!
I think you'll find that the PH-brigade "think" they own a TVR, like they think Pamela Anderson is their girlfriend.There's a thread on that site where members list the cars they own - if it's true then the luxury-car dealers must be in clover.

Mind you, the sound of those engines is sweet music.
Old 19 Mar 2012, 12:52 (Ref:3044613)   #64
MGDavid
Veteran

England
Berkshire
MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!
got me looking at ragtops now; followed an Audi S5 last night, looked modern, classy and understated; shocked to discover they're 40 grand!
Old 19 Mar 2012, 14:32 (Ref:3044670)   #65
dtype38
Race Official
Veteran

England
East London
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicanary View Post
I think you'll find that the PH-brigade "think" they own a TVR, like they think Pamela Anderson is their girlfriend.
Now, now folks lets not be unkind to those less fortunate that ourselves. After all we were all (well ok, most of us were) young and foolish once.

But now we're older, some of us want a nice sedate mid-life crisis. You know, the kind that got a bit of excitement but doesn't involve buying a superbike and dying, or going to clubs where no-one is more than half our age....

So on with the hunt for exposed, but dignified motoring. How about something from the Triumph range? Can one of these be made sufficiently reliable to be a modern day car?
Attached Thumbnails
TR6.jpg  
Old 19 Mar 2012, 18:53 (Ref:3044814)   #66
JHamilton
Veteran

United States
Atlanta, GA
JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I don't know the answer to your question but believe the answer is 'no'. Maybe 'yes' if you consider a MGB reliable. However, I am in the market for a TR6 myself... I'd rather have a TR4 or TR250 but they are out of my range. I love them!
Old 19 Mar 2012, 18:56 (Ref:3044815)   #67
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
So on with the hunt for exposed, but dignified motoring.
have you considered pitching this thread to top gear as a james may presented special episode?

that triumph looks awesome!
Old 19 Mar 2012, 19:27 (Ref:3044842)   #68
Steven Humphrey
Veteran

England
cambridgeshire
Steven Humphrey should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSteven Humphrey should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Well I had a blast around some country roads today with the roof down on my MX5 & thoroughly enjoyed myself! I even drove it through St Neots town centre without any disapproving glares, just a few enviable ones (or so I like to think!).

That Triumph does look good though, as does the Stag. Unfortunately I don't have the time and/or mechanical knowledge to run a classic.
Old 19 Mar 2012, 20:45 (Ref:3044895)   #69
Tim Falce
Race Official
Veteran

England
Very edge of S E London almost in Kent
Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!
Quote:
So on with the hunt for exposed, but dignified motoring. How about something from the Triumph range? Can one of these be made sufficiently reliable to be a modern day car?
The running gear is pretty bullet proof for road use so as long as it's well maintained there shouldn't be any problem with something like a TR.
Old 19 Mar 2012, 21:00 (Ref:3044908)   #70
dtype38
Race Official
Veteran

England
East London
Is the avatar your actual car Tim? Got it running?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JHamilton View Post
I'd rather have a TR4 or TR250 but they are out of my range. I love them!
Yes, well I think we've probably all got something we would love to have, but is tantalisingly just to expensive to afford.......
Attached Thumbnails
jaguar-xk-120-m-01.jpg  
Old 19 Mar 2012, 21:12 (Ref:3044919)   #71
Tim Falce
Race Official
Veteran

England
Very edge of S E London almost in Kent
Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Well It's Susi's car, but that's the one. I got it running ages ago although It's still sitting in my neighbours garage until I can clear a space for it.
Old 20 Mar 2012, 03:08 (Ref:3045075)   #72
JHamilton
Veteran

United States
Atlanta, GA
JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:

Yes, well I think we've probably all got something we would love to have, but is tantalisingly just to expensive to afford.......
Ain't that the truth. A TR250 is a fantastic thing they just didn't make that many of them.

How much does a good TR6 go for in England? Are they fairly common? I have always wondered about importing a RHD version.
Old 20 Mar 2012, 03:44 (Ref:3045082)   #73
mountainstar
Veteran

United States
mountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Now, now folks lets not be unkind to those less fortunate that ourselves. After all we were all (well ok, most of us were) young and foolish once.

But now we're older, some of us want a nice sedate mid-life crisis. You know, the kind that got a bit of excitement but doesn't involve buying a superbike and dying, or going to clubs where no-one is more than half our age....

In my opinion, something like an MG or Triumph is a bit fuddy duddy and cliched. Everyone has been there and done that.

To me a proper mid life crisis should involve something that makes lots of noise, goes fast and squeals tires. Putzing and weezing around in a Triumph with parts falling off behind it as you trundle down the road for a mid life crisis car sounds to me like you've already given up and milktoast is next on the menu. I'd say a mid life crisis car should be something that terrifies the wife, scares the children into believing any inheritance they might receive someday will be squandered and has the neighbors and co workers talking with raised eyebrows all around.
Old 20 Mar 2012, 07:17 (Ref:3045113)   #74
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
terence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridterence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Like a Nissan 350Z ?
Old 20 Mar 2012, 08:25 (Ref:3045142)   #75
dtype38
Race Official
Veteran

England
East London
No I think he might have been thinking of something more like this. And to be honest I'm actually tempted!!
Attached Thumbnails
ford-mustang1.jpg