Old 12 Mar 2007, 16:56 (Ref:1864795)   #1
The STIG
Veteran

United Kingdom
Too far from home
The STIG should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Helmet Choices

Hi guys

I'm thinking of doing a sprint later on in the year, Just trying to sort out some kit to go and do it with.

I've worked it out that I can either afford a fairly low cost full face helmet, or a mid range open faced helmet, Can't work out which one is the better one to get. so what kind of helmet do you use for sprinting, and what should I be looking for.

Thanks

p.s. Can't afford a Simpson Bandit.
Old 12 Mar 2007, 17:10 (Ref:1864819)   #2
Steve Wilkinson
Veteran

United Kingdom
Southport
Steve Wilkinson is a back marker
Get the best that you can afford. If the car you are driving is closed cockpit then go for the open face one as it should afford better protection if you are unfortunate enough to have a shunt!
Old 12 Mar 2007, 19:25 (Ref:1864946)   #3
lifeof
Rookie

lifeof should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I would have thought that full face is the most sensible unless you are into, possible, facial re-arrangement.
Old 12 Mar 2007, 20:16 (Ref:1865011)   #4
wight jr
Rookie

Scotland
up north
wight jr should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Give Dave Kimberley a shout at tweeks he will keep you right. (that what i do)
Old 12 Mar 2007, 21:43 (Ref:1865114)   #5
Dennis.Doyle
Racer

England
Bury, Lancs
Dennis.Doyle should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I don't think there is an contest in an open car - go for full face in case you catch a bird or a bee by surprise.

In a closed car I'd go back to open face - better protection for the money, most likely injury is probably caused by head hitting door glass, less likely to steam up if you wear glasses, more comfy & you can smoke (if you don't mind being shouted at )

Either way get one that's stickered up to the latest standard possible - less likley to become obsolete sometime soon.
Old 12 Mar 2007, 22:02 (Ref:1865132)   #6
The STIG
Veteran

United Kingdom
Too far from home
Thanks for the answers so far guys. the car will be closed so either are possible!

Don't smoke, but I do wear glasses.
Old 12 Mar 2007, 22:14 (Ref:1865143)   #7
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Is there a difference in helmets for Sprinting/Hill Climbing, compared to racing or rallying? Surely not?
Old 12 Mar 2007, 22:47 (Ref:1865161)   #8
Sheila M
Veteran

England
Burton-Upon-Trent
Sheila M should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSheila M should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamAshmore
Is there a difference in helmets for Sprinting/Hill Climbing, compared to racing or rallying? Surely not?
No. Helmet standards are laid down in the Blue Book. However, for sprinting, particularly at the level that Stiggy is looking at, for example, a competitor might not be able to afford the full FIA approved version that F1 drivers would use.

As a Clerk of the Course for Sprints, I would recommend that any competitor goes for a full face helmet (whether in a closed or open car) because in the event of any accident, a full face helmet would (in my opinion) offer more protection over the lower jaw and cheekbones.
Old 12 Mar 2007, 23:30 (Ref:1865196)   #9
b1ackcr0w
Veteran

b1ackcr0w is going for a new world record!b1ackcr0w is going for a new world record!b1ackcr0w is going for a new world record!b1ackcr0w is going for a new world record!b1ackcr0w is going for a new world record!b1ackcr0w is going for a new world record!b1ackcr0w is going for a new world record!
Hi Stig,

Steve W got it right on the head. The guiding rule is you get what you pay for, go for the most expensive your budget will run to. The bonce is a delicate item, don't risk it.

After that, try them on and see which you find easiest to put on properly. Sounds stupid, but when I'm paddock marshalling at speed events, I often have to stop people before taking the line because their lid isn't on right because they're rushing to meet their running order. A helmet you can fasten easily is a good idea at any motor sport, but even more at a speed event.
Old 12 Mar 2007, 23:43 (Ref:1865207)   #10
Dennis.Doyle
Racer

England
Bury, Lancs
Dennis.Doyle should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by The STIG
Don't smoke, but I do wear glasses.
Don't smoke - good advice

More good advice from my optician: Avoid thin, metal-framed glasses - the John Lennon type may look cool but the lenses pop out too easily. If possible get some with plastic lenses. See, easy, there's another hundred quid gone.
Old 13 Mar 2007, 00:05 (Ref:1865217)   #11
Steve Wilkinson
Veteran

United Kingdom
Southport
Standard check

Try also to get a helmet that is to the British Standard (BS6658-85 A/FR) rather than the Snell standard as the latter are lifed and the helmet then cannot be used once the standard has lapsed!

Old 13 Mar 2007, 00:53 (Ref:1865243)   #12
Fireblade
Racer

Fireblade should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Also no VAT on a BS rated helmet whereas there is with the other standards.
Old 13 Mar 2007, 01:38 (Ref:1865254)   #13
bentimingstrut
Rookie

Slovakia
bentimingstrut should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Just try your local bike shop.You will be suprised to find that many bike helmets also comply with the required m.s.a standards at a much cheaper price.
Old 13 Mar 2007, 06:02 (Ref:1865311)   #14
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Full face but not necessarily with a visor. If you wear glasses get plastic lens'. They will protect your eyes in the event of something flying in through the side window or, heaven forbid, the laminated screen delaminating (it does happen).

Also even if you are strapped in tight you might still be close enough for your chin to hit the steering wheel in a heavy shunt because belts do stretch which is why they must be replaced after an accident.

Oh and to my knowledge bike helmets are not suitable because they don't have the impact capability or the fireproofing (they aren't designed with possible roll cage contact or enclosed fire risks in mind). You need to read the Snell foundation to understand this.

Last edited by Peter Mallett; 13 Mar 2007 at 06:06.
Old 13 Mar 2007, 08:51 (Ref:1865378)   #15
The STIG
Veteran

United Kingdom
Too far from home
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis.Doyle
More good advice from my optician: Avoid thin, metal-framed glasses - the John Lennon type may look cool but the lenses pop out too easily. If possible get some with plastic lenses.
ahhh...

I happen to wear, Thin, Metal framed (made by Lotus) glasses with plastic lenses...

b1ackcr0w : Thanks for that, hadn't thought of that point!

To everyone, Very good advice here guys, lots of thanks.

Currently looking at a one of these

Clicky for Demon-Tweeks

One other point, is it possible to share a helmet with someone else? I have a team mate who may fit the same size helmet, and anything to save money and all that...

Cheers!
Old 13 Mar 2007, 08:53 (Ref:1865380)   #16
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
Kent+Mojacar Spain, but not always ?
GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!
Always full face and make shure its the latest spec. You may not be contemplating abroad meetings, but you never know as a new helmet spec last for a few years also you won't get any trouble from the continental scrutes (at least with the helmet !) You don't need a million pound F1 one as long as its got the correct labels, but dont forget you have only got one head !!
I personally would'nt share a skid lid (all that sweat !! )

Last edited by GORDON STREETER; 13 Mar 2007 at 08:55.
Old 13 Mar 2007, 08:58 (Ref:1865385)   #17
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I use the OMP Grand Turismo which is FIA approved. However I suspect you've got similar protection with that one but of course its not FIA but you don't need that.

If you are sharing a helmet and there's no reason why not as long as you scrutineer together and the helmet is presented for each driver, however from a hygeine viewpoint I'd think twice, these things get very sweaty.
Old 13 Mar 2007, 09:07 (Ref:1865398)   #18
rescue dude
Veteran

England
rescue dude is a back marker
I'm hillclimbing my 205 this year and have bought a Sparco Formula full face helmet.

As a member of a Rescue crew i have in my possession one of these helmets that a chap in a Caterfield slid up a track upside down on his head while wearing one and it stood up really well so that is why i chose this particular helmet.

It was the best i could afford and as a marshal i feel i need to lead by example and not get a horrible plastic thing.

As Gordon Streeter said "you only get one head".

Last edited by rescue dude; 13 Mar 2007 at 09:13.
Old 13 Mar 2007, 09:35 (Ref:1865427)   #19
Steve Wilkinson
Veteran

United Kingdom
Southport
Name game

Quote:
Originally Posted by The STIG
One other point, is it possible to share a helmet with someone else? I have a team mate who may fit the same size helmet, and anything to save money and all that...

Cheers!
There should be no problem sharing a helmet so long as your team mate hasn't put his name on it. Once you have your name on the helmet it becomes a personal piece of equipment that cannot be shared.

The other suggestion is if sharing a helmet ensure you wear a balaclava as that absorbs the sweat and shouldn't cause discomfort for the second user!

Old 13 Mar 2007, 09:46 (Ref:1865437)   #20
Tim Falce
Race Official
Veteran

England
Very edge of S E London almost in Kent
Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Wilkinson
Try also to get a helmet that is to the British Standard (BS6658-85 A/FR) rather than the Snell standard as the latter are lifed and the helmet then cannot be used once the standard has lapsed!
Dont bank on the BS number being infinite and anyway would you seriously consider using the same helmet for more than ten years?

Quote:
If the car you are driving is closed cockpit then go for the open face one as it should afford better protection if you are unfortunate enough to have a shunt!
I can't see your reasoning on that, perhaps you could enlighten me.

Quote:
Once you have your name on the helmet it becomes a personal piece of equipment that cannot be shared.
Er, where does it say that in the Blue book?
Old 13 Mar 2007, 11:35 (Ref:1865512)   #21
Steve Wilkinson
Veteran

United Kingdom
Southport
Quote:
Originally Posted by falcemob
I can't see your reasoning on that, perhaps you could enlighten me.
Simple really - as open faced helmets are inevitably cheaper and are perfectly adequate in a closed car the quality of the helmet & hence the protection would be better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by falcemob
Er, where does it say that in the Blue book?
As for the name on the helmet - I have seen several drivers whose helmet has failed scrutineering and then been refused permission by the scrutineer to use another helmet with a name on it other than their own. Something to do with misidentification in case of an accident. The same has also been applied to overalls bearing another name.

Old 13 Mar 2007, 11:46 (Ref:1865519)   #22
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
http://www.demon-tweeks.co.uk/produc...13&tlgrp=MS001
Or
http://www.demon-tweeks.co.uk/produc...13&tlgrp=MS001

Not any significant differences really.
Old 13 Mar 2007, 13:47 (Ref:1865592)   #23
Woolley
Race Official
Veteran

England
Wolverhampton, England
Woolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Mallett
Also even if you are strapped in tight you might still be close enough for your chin to hit the steering wheel in a heavy shunt because belts do stretch which is why they must be replaced after an accident.
I've seen the results of that. I know they're not everyone's choice, but personally if I were to race and wouldn't consider anything that didn't protect my chin from the steering wheel.
Old 13 Mar 2007, 18:06 (Ref:1865722)   #24
b1ackcr0w
Veteran

b1ackcr0w is going for a new world record!b1ackcr0w is going for a new world record!b1ackcr0w is going for a new world record!b1ackcr0w is going for a new world record!b1ackcr0w is going for a new world record!b1ackcr0w is going for a new world record!b1ackcr0w is going for a new world record!
On the subject of sharing a lid. It's one item that I personally wouldn't share, no matter how much I wanted to save money or trusted my team mate.

If it's protecting your skull, it's one item that you want be absolutely sure you know the entire history of. If it takes a bang at some point, you want to be sure YOU know what sort of bang it's taken. They are one use items, and if it were me, i'd want to be 110% sure whether or not that one time I need it to work, had been compromised.

Blue Book and Hygene issues aside, your lid and your belts are life and death issues, they're one use, know when you've used them! (Pete & Woolley make good points about the chin, knowing their experience, they are people I'd listen to).
Old 13 Mar 2007, 18:23 (Ref:1865738)   #25
b1ackcr0w
Veteran

BTW - I did once find a helmet on a chap with a sticker in an odd spot. When I prodded it, there was a big crack underneath. He'd had an off earlier in the day and thought he could float the lid past the scrute by covering it up. In fact the scrute later said he only missed it because it was an unusually busy day. Normally stickers and decorations on the helmet instantly raise his suspicions. I've only seen that once, but I think there's Lessons in there for scrutes, drivers and paddock marshals alike