Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Baltic Touring Car Championship Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Touring Car Racing

Old 12 Feb 2005, 16:42 (Ref:1223785)   #1
cybersdorf
Veteran

Austria
Vienna, Austria
cybersdorf should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridcybersdorf should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Chebby

I don't follow touringcar racing too closely these days, and it seems I am not familiar enough with the Daew--, erm, Chevrolet model range - what production model is the Chevrolet WTCC car based on? I have stood next to the car, and I still can't figure it out. It can't be the Evanda, that's too big. The Lacetti is a hatchback, the Nubira ia too small. What other saloon do they have?

Last edited by cybersdorf; 12 Feb 2005 at 16:44.
Old 12 Feb 2005, 17:21 (Ref:1223805)   #2
E46
Veteran

Spain
Zaragoza, Reino de Aragón
E46 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It´s Daewoo Lacetti (although in Spain was named Nubira).

Last edited by E46; 12 Feb 2005 at 17:24.
Old 12 Feb 2005, 20:02 (Ref:1223896)   #3
kmchow
Veteran

kmchow should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
In NA, the car is marketed as the Chevrolet Optra. Perhaps I'm just slow, but I just realized the Optra/Lancetti/etc... are really small sized cars. They're only Corolla/Civic sized!

Last edited by kmchow; 12 Feb 2005 at 20:04.
Old 12 Feb 2005, 20:37 (Ref:1223908)   #4
cybersdorf
Veteran

Austria
Vienna, Austria
cybersdorf should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridcybersdorf should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
You may think they are small, but by European standards they are "lower mid-size". Also, this Chevrolet WTCC car (maybe a Nubira, maybe a Lacetti sedan) is about as big as a BMW 3 series.
GM Europe is already busy setting up national "Euro-Chev" sites, here's ours: www.chevrolet.at

Last edited by cybersdorf; 12 Feb 2005 at 20:38. Reason: misspelled "Chevrolet" - duh...
Old 13 Feb 2005, 01:46 (Ref:1224028)   #5
kmchow
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by cybersdorf
You may think they are small, but by European standards they are "lower mid-size". Also, this Chevrolet WTCC car (maybe a Nubira, maybe a Lacetti sedan) is about as big as a BMW 3 series.
3 series?? Really, I gotta find a 3 series and park it beside the Lancetti? I would have sworn the 3 series is bigger??? Wow..
Old 13 Feb 2005, 09:48 (Ref:1224146)   #6
Hazard
Veteran

United Kingdom
United Kingdom
Hazard should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridHazard should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridHazard should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
You won't have to go to the effort. A few 3 series will be parked next to (or mostly infront of) the Lacetti's in Italy around April 10th

I've never seen one in the aluminium, so don't know the size too well myself - 'lower mid-size?' - rather muddled sizing system we must have.
Old 13 Feb 2005, 10:24 (Ref:1224169)   #7
P.Cummins
Racer

Ireland
Dublin, Ireland
P.Cummins should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Over here it is known as the Nubira. It is a big saloon. Yes, about the size of a 3 series.
Old 13 Feb 2005, 16:45 (Ref:1224424)   #8
dinkytoy
Rookie

Netherlands
The Netherlands
dinkytoy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
According to the Chevrolet Belgium press release (from the Liege Racing Show Press Introduction) the car is called Chevrolet Nubira (Lacetti) and it is the "J200/2.0 liter/ 4 door/ Canadian "version they will use as base for the WTCC car.

Quote:

"Technische benadering

Vanuit een technisch perspectief hebben we het wat wij het “J200” platform noemen gekozen als het meest geschikt voor de S2000 raceauto.

Na een aantal tests in de windtunnel en overleg met de FIA hebben we de definitieve configuratie vastgesteld (J200 4-deurs / 2.0-liter Canadese versie).

Diegenen onder u die bekend zijn met de technische reglementen weten dat de basis wordt gevormd door de Groep A met enkele specifieke aanpassingen. Op alle punten waarvan je als team denkt dat jouw auto de concurrentie op het gebied van prestaties niet kan volgen, dien je een ‘case’ in bij de FIA Touring Car commissie die het zal bestuderen en besluit of jouw verzoek wordt geaccepteerd of niet.

In het geval van de Chevrolet WTCC hadden wij het gevoel dat we speciale verzoeken in moesten dienen op het gebied van:

- Wielophanging (wagenhoogte)
- En de carrosseriebreedte"

Unquote.

So maybe our Canadians can help to sole this problem!

Quote:
Old 13 Feb 2005, 17:02 (Ref:1224434)   #9
dinkytoy
Rookie

Netherlands
The Netherlands
dinkytoy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
(from the Chevrolet Press Release): The Nubira 4 doors Notch is the best suited because of its body shape.
The results of the engine strip down work have given the FIA the reason why of our choice of base engine (2 liter variant of the Canadian sold Chevrolet Optra).
Can any Canadian member help out with specs of the base engine?
Old 13 Feb 2005, 20:19 (Ref:1224551)   #10
P.Cummins
Racer

Ireland
Dublin, Ireland
P.Cummins should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Sounds like they sound confident but looking at the car, the Chevrolet Press Realease quote makes me laugh.
Old 13 Feb 2005, 20:56 (Ref:1224585)   #11
cybersdorf
Veteran

Austria
Vienna, Austria
Never mind.

Last edited by cybersdorf; 13 Feb 2005 at 20:58.
Old 14 Feb 2005, 13:17 (Ref:1225077)   #12
+ its a Chevy
Rookie

England
London
+ its a Chevy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
okay , size-wise nubira/lacetti saloon is 4515mm by 1725mm take that as u will, as for the race engines, no info further than that already quoted.....UK Chevrolet website is at Chevrolet.co.uk
Old 15 Feb 2005, 13:52 (Ref:1226197)   #13
andy_b
Veteran

Canada
Vancouver (I escaped from UK)
andy_b is going for a new world record!andy_b is going for a new world record!andy_b is going for a new world record!andy_b is going for a new world record!andy_b is going for a new world record!andy_b is going for a new world record!andy_b is going for a new world record!
www.gmcanada.com
Old 15 Feb 2005, 22:14 (Ref:1226611)   #14
Craner Curves
Veteran

United Kingdom
Kelso
Craner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridCraner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridCraner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridCraner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
The UK-spec Nubira has now been renamed the Lacetti.
Old 16 Feb 2005, 06:42 (Ref:1226829)   #15
kmchow
Veteran

The Canadian version (Chevy Optra) also has a 2L engine with 119hp. Most NA auto journalists don't look upon the Daewoo (now Chevy) cars too highly. They see them as unrefined. What do other global based car mags/journalists think?