Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 15 Jul 2002, 01:47 (Ref:333959)   #1
Gt_R
Veteran

Gt_R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGt_R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
On track...weakspots of great drivers?

I watched the Silverstone race again this morning...and studied the way Montoya drove...and it struck me something.

It seems like Montoya has a particular tendency to brake overlimit at very tight corners/chicanes when being pressurised to defend. This could be hugely contributed to the perhaps poor handling of his car/tires...but the problem is there.

Why do i say so. Remember how Michael overtook Montoya in Australia this year? Into a tight corner, Michael took the racing line as Montoya chooses to take the defensive inside line. At the braking place, Montoya brakes late and his car slides from the apex to the outside of the circuit. Michael braked early and took that corner and manage to get down the accelerator earlier, thus enabling him to get past. At Silverstone, again we see Montoya braking slightly too late (for the tight corner at Club) at the inside line to slide from the inside corner across to the outer side...giving Michael opportunities to take stabs at him. All these could be traced back to Austria 2001, where the great fight between JPM and Michael ended when similarly, Michael tried to take the outside, but JPM entered the tight a little too late on brakes, and slide wide.

Poorly described, but i think some of you should get an idea of what i am driving at. Its not a critism, but a worry, considering that many circuits have similar corners which are actually possible overtaking places (ie a straight leading to tight corner/chicane). For example, the 1st corner of Melbourne, the 2nd corner of Austria, the abovementioned at Silverstone, and also the very tight hairpin at France GP...to mention a few more realistic examples (the latter being a very common ground for such error to be capitalised by a chasing driver).

Following this, i also noticed jacques had a tendency to overbrake into tight corners, not during defensive, but when attempting to overtake...over-ambitious on the brakes and hence often collecting the car in front. Example? Austria 2002, he tried to overtake and had a touch with someone, and Canada 2000, where he collected Ralf...to mention a few off my head.

Every great driver has a couple of weakspot. Even Michael has them (ie make unnessary mistakes on the circuit eg when pressurising Nurburgring 2002 or eg out alone at Indy 2000). But for now, lets just take a look at 2 of the more 'dramatic' drivers who happens to be from CART.

Btw, what other driving niggles do other good drivers suffer on a more regular basis (not a one-off)?