Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Racers Forum

Old 30 Aug 2008, 12:57 (Ref:2278057)   #1
EdLeake
Racer

United Kingdom
Nottingham
EdLeake should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Valuing a race car

Valuing a race car is a particularly tricky subject, is there any metric or guides to follow or is it a case of taking a judgment based on the current market and other similar metal?

I was asked to put a value on a car recently, a rather nice capable machine at that, but after a ball-park figure came to mind I did struggle to really warrant any of the figure manipulation.

Just a general subject of your ideas on the subject.
Old 30 Aug 2008, 13:22 (Ref:2278070)   #2
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!
Dunno but from past experience as this credit crisis does not appear to be going away stand by for values to plummet.
Old 30 Aug 2008, 13:37 (Ref:2278077)   #3
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
Kent+Mojacar Spain, but not always ?
GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!
The value can only be what somebody is prepared to pay for it. If its for race insurance purposes then it can only be an agreed price with the insurers, and obviously the more you say it is then the more the premium.
Lets face it a race car resale value will only be a small amount compared with what it cost to build , as most of us have found over the years !
Balls of steel (knob of butter) They're Asking For Larkins. ( Proper beer) not you're Eurofizz crap. Hace más calor en España. Me han conocido a hablar un montón cojones! Send any cheques and cash to PO box 1 Lagos Nigeria Africa !
Old 30 Aug 2008, 13:49 (Ref:2278086)   #4
EdLeake
Racer

United Kingdom
Nottingham
Quote:
Originally Posted by GORDON STREETER
The value can only be what somebody is prepared to pay for it. If its for race insurance purposes then it can only be an agreed price with the insurers, and obviously the more you say it is then the more the premium.
Lets face it a race car resale value will only be a small amount compared with what it cost to build , as most of us have found over the years !
Yeah I think we'd all agree that producing race cars to sell on is a fruitless game!

It's the old cliche of "whatever someone is willing to pay for it", it's understandable but also very hard to fathom. I mean just look at racecarsdirect right now, seems a lot of ex touring spec cars selling for £45+ so I think/guess they've all taken the same tactic and used each other as price guides.
Old 30 Aug 2008, 13:49 (Ref:2278087)   #5
EdLeake
Racer

United Kingdom
Nottingham
Quote:
Originally Posted by Al Weyman
Dunno but from past experience as this credit crisis does not appear to be going away stand by for values to plummet.
Indeed Al, there's no denying the long term impact of such an economic forecast i.e. doom and gloom.
Old 30 Aug 2008, 16:28 (Ref:2278147)   #6
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdLeake
Indeed Al, there's no denying the long term impact of such an economic forecast i.e. doom and gloom.
Which is why I'll wait a bit longer before putting in an offer for a Gp2 Capri.

That said I do wonder where some people get their prices from. As Gordon says the cost of building and developing a car is massive compared to what it may be worth. Although if SWMBO is reading this my car has only cost £2.50 in the last three years.
Old 30 Aug 2008, 17:36 (Ref:2278198)   #7
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!
Actually my car cost next to nothing to build. That's what I told my wife and she knows I would never lie !
Balls of steel (knob of butter) They're Asking For Larkins. ( Proper beer) not you're Eurofizz crap. Hace más calor en España. Me han conocido a hablar un montón cojones! Send any cheques and cash to PO box 1 Lagos Nigeria Africa !
Old 30 Aug 2008, 19:55 (Ref:2278293)   #8
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
terence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridterence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Anyone want an MGB racer,on the button and ready to go.Only £100k +.
[Never know whos reading this]
Old 30 Aug 2008, 22:22 (Ref:2278376)   #9
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
Quote:
Originally Posted by terence bower
Anyone want an MGB racer,on the button and ready to go.Only £100
[Never know whos reading this]
A hundred quid Terry, that's pushing it a bit !
Old 31 Aug 2008, 05:41 (Ref:2278509)   #10
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
terence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridterence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
A hundred quid Terry, that's pushing it a bit !

Well,it is a risky business.
Old 31 Aug 2008, 09:27 (Ref:2278573)   #11
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
It is probably about 25% less that whatever you come up with!
Old 31 Aug 2008, 11:17 (Ref:2278650)   #12
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamAshmore
It is probably about 25% less that whatever you come up with!

OK,done,I'll accept £75k for it.
Old 31 Aug 2008, 20:36 (Ref:2278937)   #13
AU N EGL
Veteran

United States
Raleigh, North Carolina
AU N EGL should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridAU N EGL should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Actually my car cost next to nothing to build. That's what I told my wife and she knows I would never lie !

And so were her Diamond ear rings she purchased and told you about. or did she say they were Zircon?
Old 1 Sep 2008, 22:34 (Ref:2279791)   #14
R59
Veteran

Heard and McDonald Islands
Bedfordshire
R59 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridR59 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
How much is it worth - less than your horses my dear!

Yes, a difficult one. Going on the prices that some people expect for some tired has-been touring cars, my Thundersaloon Belmont must be worth £500,000 due to it's unique qualities, and my ASCAR is worth £2.4M
My rusting Nova GSi Mod-Prod is worth more than the remaining oil reserves on planet earth.

What I can say though, my motorhome is worth ten-bob less than stuff all thanks to the tax we have to pay to fill it up and keep that lovely little big block gurgling.

Terence, now, what was that, you'd pay me £75 to take that MG away from you. Only if it's a V8, and Malcolm Beer built it to the same spec as Peter Cox's BGT-V8 - and as clean.

Gordon hit the nail on the head - it's worth what someone wants to pay for it. Eventually, the price will have to fall to meet the money available.
Old 3 Sep 2008, 07:02 (Ref:2280602)   #15
greenamex2
Veteran

England
Hertfordshire
greenamex2 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Work out what it would cost to build from scratch using all new parts then divide that figure by 4.

If it's won a championship they you might be able to get another 25% for it if you sold it straight away.
Old 4 Sep 2008, 20:55 (Ref:2281887)   #16
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!
Yes but lets be honest our cars are also our hobby and no matter what hobby you have you are going to do good money on it at least with our sport you do actually have something tangable at the end of it that you can cash in, if you were into horses for example you could spend the same sort of money and have an old nag left at the end of the day and a clapped out horse box. Golf is another one, at the end of your golf playing days what would you have for all the years of green fees and membership fees, sod all but maybe a set of old clubs, 100 quid on ebay.
Old 4 Sep 2008, 22:22 (Ref:2281967)   #17
AU N EGL
Veteran

United States
Raleigh, North Carolina
AU N EGL should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridAU N EGL should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Not sure what I could sell my car for, or all the extra equipment?

But any time on a track is priceless to me.
Old 5 Sep 2008, 13:35 (Ref:2282314)   #18
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
It really is a very tricky business,one that will sometimes catch out the professionals,I was involved in the auctioning of a particular Aston,the auction house had valued it 50k under what it went for!
The moral of the story is to have as much history on the car as possible,the very reason this Aston made the money it did was down to the fact it was ex Salvadori might have influenced the hammer price.
Old 5 Sep 2008, 20:00 (Ref:2282497)   #19
Stuart H
Veteran

England
Wellingborough
Stuart H should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
No amount of money would be able to split me from my little car.

I'll take the money however!!
Old 6 Sep 2008, 14:18 (Ref:2282862)   #20
AU N EGL
Veteran

United States
Raleigh, North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuart H
No amount of money would be able to split me from my little car.

I'll take the money however!!

There is an old Jack Benny joke that went something like that.

A mugger came up to Jack Benny and said

"Your Money or your life."

Benny put his hand to his chin and thought for a while.

the Mugger was getting impatient and said.

come on man. Your money or your life?"

Benny said, " OH, I though you said my money or my WIFE?"
Old 10 Sep 2008, 07:50 (Ref:2286275)   #21
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
There is an interesting article on old Group C cars in Octane this month (or was it motorsport?). These have increased in value due to the race series taking off. While a Richard Lloyd Porsche failed to meet its £250K reserve it is generally considered that these cars are worth more than that. Apparently most are sold privately rather than through the auction.

The article split the Group C cars into a few categories which went something like this (this is from memory, please correct if you see a mistake):
1. Works Cars (Jags, Saubers, works Porsches) >£1m
2. Decent Porsche 956/962 customer cars £500-750K
3. Decent Privateer cars (Richard Llyod Racing, Kremer, ...) £400
4. Other Useable Group C cars £250K

Not too long ago these were worth little. However the active racing scene has increased the values. Support races at Le Mans can't have hurt either.