Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 1 Mar 2007, 03:05 (Ref:1854277)   #1
Venom XR
Racer

Australia
Venom XR should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Increase in Mainstream Media Exposure for V8 Supercars?

Maybe it's just me because the season hasn't started proper, but I notice there has a been a trend towards more media exposure in the mainstream with V8 Supercars.

News Limited seem to be using more print space (thus articles on their news sites) on the V8s in the core sport section. Today's Herald Sun had a nice V8 Supercar liftout (probably paid for by 7) and a few articles regarding the upcoming event. Last year there was lucky to be anything prior to Friday.

Is it the move to 7? Is it the interest that was generated by the events at Phillip Island that have had people talking (as Craig Lowndes has mentioned a few times since...) Something else?

Last edited by Venom XR; 1 Mar 2007 at 03:11.
Old 1 Mar 2007, 03:10 (Ref:1854278)   #2
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Whispers from the powder room have suggested that News Limited has been paid for the space in their august publications... whether by V8Supercar, its sponsors or the host broadcaster in kind...
“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House
Old 1 Mar 2007, 04:16 (Ref:1854309)   #3
v8race1
Racer

v8race1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
There was a 8 page v8 supercars lift-out in todays courier mail which I found very unusual as normally nothing is covered in great amounts up here considering Qld is home to most v8 teams.

If anyone can post the link it makes for some 'humourous' reading....
especially the comments made by reck kelly not getting a x-mas card from lowndsey....he even sounded bitter ( in my view) that although he won the championship he has yet to receive the plaudits and reconition he thinks he may deserve...

Maybe a few lessons from CL in how to perform pr might help.

All up a pleasant surprise to find the lift-out...lets hope they can offer a substantial increase for all motor-sport, not just the taxi's..
Old 1 Mar 2007, 05:51 (Ref:1854336)   #4
Venom XR
Racer

Australia
Venom XR should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Rick needs to pay more attention to stuff he reads - or the people who tell him these things need to. I believe Craig said he'd sent him an Xmas email, which is a lot different to a card through the post, though I'm sure the gesture was still sincere.
Old 1 Mar 2007, 08:05 (Ref:1854365)   #5
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
peckstar has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
last years and the years before herald sum had an 8 page liftout (i still have 2005)

but we were talking about this at work today and we felt the same thing

also of interest is that the hrald sun are running articles on marcos ambrose 3 or 4 times a week, usaly just rehashing his press release but still article.

maybe the media are learning
Old 1 Mar 2007, 10:21 (Ref:1854450)   #6
Phase3
Veteran

Australia
Always Amazing, Ever Changing Gold Coast
Phase3 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Mod Hat On

This thread is about increased media coverage of V8 Supercar , lets try and keep it that way please

Last edited by marcus; 1 Mar 2007 at 21:00.
Old 1 Mar 2007, 22:03 (Ref:1854954)   #7
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Of significance is the amount of radio coverage the series has.. on Macquarie National News on the hour they mentioned the start of the series, as they also did on Radio 2UE...

Maybe the 'alleged' punting of HRT has stirred up an interest from other media outlets?

The liftout in Sydney's Daily Telegraph has huge ads from WPS, from GIO, and #7... all 3 V8Supercar sponsors/supporters...
“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House
Old 1 Mar 2007, 22:56 (Ref:1854987)   #8
Robert Ryan
Veteran

Robert Ryan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Noticed Channel 7 had some live news on Clipsal on the "Sunrise" show.
Old 2 Mar 2007, 00:32 (Ref:1855055)   #9
Just Do It!
Veteran

Just Do It! should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJust Do It! should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJust Do It! should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTRMagic
Of significance is the amount of radio coverage the series has.. on Macquarie National News on the hour they mentioned the start of the series, as they also did on Radio 2UE...

Maybe the 'alleged' punting of HRT has stirred up an interest from other media outlets?

The liftout in Sydney's Daily Telegraph has huge ads from WPS, from GIO, and #7... all 3 V8Supercar sponsors/supporters...

Interesting to see that Verdnik is now sponsored by GIO Insurance.. ... ..that screws up their usual recent excuse - and that of airlines - saying they don't sponsor race cars, because race cars crash.
Old 2 Mar 2007, 20:54 (Ref:1855801)   #10
Da Moo
Racer

Da Moo should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think coverage has definately increased for V8 Supercars but unfortunately it seems a lot of the time there is a v8sa ad opposite v8 stories in news ltd papers.....outside of that though, most television networks cover races etc so its definately on the increase but if v8sa didnt spend their money with news ltd, you wouldnt see those liftouts or a lot of the other stories. Can someone confirm the story that v8sa actually pay for journalists to attend races because some papers wouldn't go otherwise??
Old 2 Mar 2007, 21:44 (Ref:1855853)   #11
TSR
Veteran

Australia
Sutherland Shire
TSR has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
You nailed it on the head GTR, the increase media coverage is due to the Skaife/HRT debacle. Full Stop. PR from VE$A cashorts.
2015 V8Supercar Champion #5 PDA Mark Frosty Winterbottom
To Finish First, First you must Finish
Old 2 Mar 2007, 21:52 (Ref:1855861)   #12
chavez
Veteran

Australia
The Basin, Victoria
chavez should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchavez should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchavez should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
The qualifying results has even been mentioned on the news on 3AW.

Early days yet, but is the mainstream media waking up to the popularity of V8Supercars?
Old 2 Mar 2007, 22:34 (Ref:1855889)   #13
Robert Ryan
Veteran

Robert Ryan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:

The liftout in Sydney's Daily Telegraph has huge ads from WPS, from GIO, and #7... all 3 V8Supercar sponsors/supporters
Also recent ABS statistics on Motorsport as a whole, has made the Media relise they have been under reporting motorsport.