Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > 24 Heures du Mans

Old 30 May 2007, 17:51 (Ref:1924819)   #1
paul-collins
Veteran

Canada
Mosport on a good day
paul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridpaul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridpaul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Kangaroo TV for Le Mans

Quote:
Kangaroo TV® and ACO agree on multi-year partnership to deliver handheld TV service at legendary “24 Heures du Mans”

MIRABEL (CANADA), LE MANS (FRANCE) (May 16, 2007) – Automobile Club de L’Ouest (ACO), the sanctioning body of the legendary “24 Heures du Mans”, the world’s oldest and longest lasting racing event has entered into a partnership with Kangaroo TV Europe Ltd, to introduce the Kangaroo TV service at the 2007 edition of the race. The agreement grants Kangaroo TV exclusive rights to provide the commercial service in 2008 and 2009, and incumbent rights to further extend the agreement in 2010 and beyond.

The ACO and Kangaroo will closely collaborate on a jointly funded initial trial of the service, content and application at the 75th edition of the Le Mans race taking place on June 16 and 17 2007. Several hundred Kangaroo handsets will be made available to fans, teams, sponsors and media, adding a new dimension to the classic race which has been taking place since 1923.
<snip>
The distribution of the Kangaroo handsets to different stakeholders in the 2007 Le Mans trial will allow Kangaroo to fine tune its various applications specifically to the Le Mans race. Kangaroo TV will provide access to the main race broadcast, in-car driver cameras, team radio audio, including driver-to-pit conversations, live commentary and radio play-by-play when available, race timekeeping, leader board and statistics in real-time, current event news and information, biographic files on teams and drivers.
http://www.kangaroo.tv/html/press_ro...lease38en.html

... Since all men live in darkness, who believes something is not a test of whether it is true or false. I have spent years trying to get people to ask simple questions: What is the evidence, and what does it mean?

-Bill James
Old 30 May 2007, 17:56 (Ref:1924823)   #2
Rockmunky
Veteran

England
'artfordshire
Rockmunky should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridRockmunky should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Bet this will be pricey!
Worth it though, adds another dimension for fans to follow the race.

A good step forward.
Old 30 May 2007, 17:57 (Ref:1924824)   #3
bernard b
Veteran

European Union
France
bernard b has a real shot at the championship!bernard b has a real shot at the championship!bernard b has a real shot at the championship!bernard b has a real shot at the championship!bernard b has a real shot at the championship!bernard b has a real shot at the championship!
that looks quite nice, but if it's 100€ for the week end, no way for me!
Old 30 May 2007, 18:15 (Ref:1924835)   #4
SALEEN S7R
Veteran

England
Poole, England
SALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Nice idea, as has been said it is probably going to be very expensive though at the moment. Still perhaps in a few years when this sort of technolgy is widely available the price will come down signifcantly too giving it a wider audieance.
Old 30 May 2007, 18:16 (Ref:1924838)   #5
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Does it come in a pouch.........?

Old 30 May 2007, 18:19 (Ref:1924842)   #6
paul-collins
Veteran

Canada
Mosport on a good day
paul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridpaul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridpaul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Weekend rates at champcar - er, CART events back when the system first showed up (2003) were more like $65 Cdn. (That would be about 40-45 euros) I think current NASCAR weekend rates are $50 US (which is $55 Cdn, so less again).
... Since all men live in darkness, who believes something is not a test of whether it is true or false. I have spent years trying to get people to ask simple questions: What is the evidence, and what does it mean?

-Bill James
Old 30 May 2007, 18:20 (Ref:1924846)   #7
paul-collins
Veteran

Canada
Mosport on a good day
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aysedasi
Does it come in a pouch.........?
Nope - but I'm told it packs quite a visual kick.

-Bill James
Old 30 May 2007, 20:08 (Ref:1924919)   #8
SebringMG
Veteran

United Kingdom
SebringMG should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Sweet Now if it was only possible to combine this with RLM coverage
Old 30 May 2007, 20:48 (Ref:1924946)   #9
paul-collins
Veteran

Canada
Mosport on a good day
Not possible, probable.

Check out the online demo at http://www.kangaroo.tv/index.html to see what they provide - team radios, in car cameras, various trackside cameras, stats, trackside radio, etc. Sure makes me want one!

-Bill James
Old 30 May 2007, 20:49 (Ref:1924947)   #10
GT6
Veteran

England
MAIDSTONE, KENT, ENGLAND
GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!
I think i will stick to RML and watch the actual cars plus the big screens, leaves more money for Beer/wine
Old 30 May 2007, 21:57 (Ref:1924998)   #11
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by GT6
I think i will stick to RML and watch the actual cars plus the big screens, leaves more money for Beer/wine
Yep, I'll go with that too. (adding champagne, merguez, grand marnier crepes and anything else other than tartiflette........ )
Old 30 May 2007, 21:58 (Ref:1925000)   #12
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by GT6

Hang on a minute?

RML?

That's Ray Mallock's team! Is there something you haven't told us?

Old 30 May 2007, 23:03 (Ref:1925037)   #13
neiltbag
Racer

United States
Petaluma, CA
neiltbag should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
and anything else other than tartiflette........
{off-topic} Ayse, to this day I don't understand your dislike of the legendary 'flette. How can anyone be afraid of the cheesy potatoey behemoth? We even make it at home the years I can't get to Le Mans. {/off-topic}
Old 31 May 2007, 07:18 (Ref:1925171)   #14
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
I think it just looks so awful.....

But then again, on that basis I'd never touch another merguez.....
Old 31 May 2007, 12:19 (Ref:1925365)   #15
GT6
Veteran

England
MAIDSTONE, KENT, ENGLAND
GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Hang on a minute?

RML?

That's Ray Mallock's team! Is there something you haven't told us?

don't they have a pit to car radio link this year then
Old 31 May 2007, 22:08 (Ref:1925727)   #16
brielga
Veteran

Uruguay
Bloemendaal, Netherlands
brielga should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I want one of those Kangaroos!!!!
Old 19 Jun 2007, 19:18 (Ref:1941955)   #17
paul-collins
Veteran

Canada
Mosport on a good day
Update:

It was a nice little bit of kit. Sadly I didn't get it in time to boast to the tenth'ers at the meeting, but I grabbed it about 2h after the start of the race.

Three video feed options: main feed (ie the video screen output), in car, and pit lane. Only the Peugeots were available for in car, and they remembered to turn it off when the #7 failed . I'd bet the system would have a couple of alternate editorial feeds (say, following each class for their individual battles) and that all in car feeds would be available in a full commercial version.

Two audio sources: the announcers and RLM. Again, they'd have team radios in a full commercial version.

6 stat windows:
1. overall with fast laps and gaps and laps completed, and something I've forgotten
2. overall with fast laps, best laps, and laps completed
3-6. classes but as #2

The drivers were indicated, with the car make abbreviated in parentheses.

The coverage was from three towers (which is apparently the full complement for an F1 race. I didn't think to try it at Tertre Rouge so I don't know if it worked there; it pixellated a bit behind the stands on the front straight (and the audio would drop packets) but was on the whole excellent. It was not operational in Arnage (the town) nor at Arnage or Mulsanne (the corner). In fact it would not work in parking Expo.

The video with only the main feed was a bit of a waste, given how many screens were around the track. Similarly, the audio was duplicated and I'd prefer the analogue signal fading to the digital signal packetizing.

But the data... Awesome! More please! We were able to watch the only battle going on during the last two hours with great interest, and were gutted when the Safety Car came out. I wonder how many knew just what Ron was able to do, to haul in DB like that...

-Bill James
Old 20 Jun 2007, 00:43 (Ref:1942163)   #18
TheNewBob
Veteran

England
Lincs, UK
TheNewBob should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridTheNewBob should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Sounds like a really good system, then, if they develop the ideas a little bit more. If a commercial system came out then I'd consider buying one if it made the race easier to follow.
Old 20 Jun 2007, 06:36 (Ref:1942265)   #19
AMICALEMANS
Racer

France
AMICALEMANS should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
you wont be able to buy it ! but you will be able to rent it ! Price should be between 50 and 70 euros !

It is an amazing system !
Old 20 Jun 2007, 12:46 (Ref:1942499)   #20
paul-collins
Veteran

Canada
Mosport on a good day
Quote:
Originally Posted by AMICALEMANS
you wont be able to buy it ! but you will be able to rent it ! Price should be between 50 and 70 euros !

It is an amazing system !
The company, I don't think, has decided for sure if they won't be for sale or not - but it's unlikely that, for one event only, it would be worthwhile to do so. Price for the weekend may get as high as 100 euros - they're still determining the market. IMO it would still be worth it. I had a different perspective on the last two hours than most around me, because of the data screens.

-Bill James
Old 21 Jun 2007, 05:48 (Ref:1943081)   #21
AMICALEMANS
Racer

France
AMICALEMANS should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Just spoke with the Communication Head manager of ACO and he told me, that for Le Mans, they (ACO I mean ) want to rent it with an affordable price (50-70 euros for the race he told me); Kangaroo company will be under the ACO authority for the 24H of Le Mans en 2008.
Old 21 Jun 2007, 08:04 (Ref:1943135)   #22
SebringMG
Veteran

United Kingdom
SebringMG should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I would seriously consider renting one BUT only if it could reach Arnage and Mulsanne as those are the main corners we frequent!!!!
Old 21 Jun 2007, 13:01 (Ref:1943370)   #23
paul-collins
Veteran

Canada
Mosport on a good day
Sebring, they're aware of that. I spoke to them at length about it.

Amicalemans, that's interesting, because the questionnaire specifically asked you to rate how much you'd pay, and the rates for weekend rental ranged up to 100 euros. In order to do it for 50 euros you'd need to rent a *lot* of them to break even (and you would, of course, with 250k people there), and then you'd have all this hardware that wouldn't be used for a whole year.

I don't see that as feasible for a single event, but it's an admirable goal. I'd appreciate it if you could PM me so we can take this discussion further.

-Bill James
Old 25 Jun 2007, 15:56 (Ref:1946422)   #24
Suze
Veteran

England
Suze should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuze should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuze should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I saw one of these at Le Mans and, dependent on price, would be interested - I thought the screen may be too small but actually it had a good quality feed. Anyone manage to test one and take it to the far side of the circuit? [I was in the paddock]. Just wondering how they'd compare over there...
Old 25 Jun 2007, 16:11 (Ref:1946443)   #25
paul-collins
Veteran

Canada
Mosport on a good day
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suze
Anyone manage to test one and take it to the far side of the circuit? [I was in the paddock]. Just wondering how they'd compare over there...
Suze, what do you mean by "far side?"

-Bill James