Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > National & International Single Seaters

Old 6 Oct 2011, 09:43 (Ref:2966555)   #1
cappra250
Rookie

cappra250 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
2012 FR 3.5 Off Season news etc

Does anybody know which are going the teams for next year FR 3.5?

How many teams are going to be selected?
Old 10 Oct 2011, 09:30 (Ref:2968517)   #2
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
Someone posted that Mofaz is closing.

Did i read a provisional calendar suggesting Moscow is on and no British round?
Old 10 Oct 2011, 11:05 (Ref:2968592)   #3
jondownunder
Veteran

United Kingdom
England
jondownunder should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridjondownunder should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
More about the Mofaz closure:
http://www.motorstv.com/car/single-s...nault-35-squad

Really hope that the "TBC" shown is a British round... with the huge crowds Renault gets exposure to here I'd have thought it would never be in doubt. No Monza either, which is disappointing.

Quote:
Motorland Aragon, May 5-6
Monaco, May26-27
Spa-Francorchamps, June 2-3
Nurburgring, June 30-July 1
Moscow, July 14-15
TBC, August 25-26
Hungary, September 15-16
Paul Ricard, September 29-30
Barcelona, October 20-21
http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/95241

Edit: Just read that properly, and the TBC event is for F.Renault 3.5 only! So whatever happens, looks like we'll only get FR3.5 at best in the UK I was really excited about the momentum the series seems to have against GP2 as well... would be a shame if we don't get a round. Guess it may just be British F3 for me then in terms of single seater meetings next year. F2 isn't worth the bother, and the GP is too expensive/hectic.

Last edited by jondownunder; 10 Oct 2011 at 11:11.
Old 10 Oct 2011, 12:43 (Ref:2968671)   #4
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
I know what you mean jon, not a lot to warrant forking out for in terms of quality single seater action is there. Oh how I wish we could go back to the 1980's-late 90's calendars for choice but with the current series!

If the TBC round is to be stand alone, maybe it'll be with the LMES or British Int'l F3 at Silverstone?
Old 10 Oct 2011, 15:40 (Ref:2968752)   #5
Valker
Veteran

Finland
Tampere, Finland
Valker should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by jondownunder View Post
Really hope that the "TBC" shown is a British round...
Wasn't it supposed to be Brazil?
Old 10 Oct 2011, 21:50 (Ref:2968923)   #6
jondownunder
Veteran

United Kingdom
England
jondownunder should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridjondownunder should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Don't know, where did you hear that?
Old 11 Oct 2011, 06:40 (Ref:2969061)   #7
p-matt
Veteran

p-matt should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Brazil was mentioned a while back. But unlikely in August I'd have thought?
Old 12 Oct 2011, 11:23 (Ref:2969843)   #8
Alex K
Veteran

United Kingdom
England
Alex K has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
They have probably chosen cheap to hire circuits. Hungaroring is a no go... Racing is dull there whatever you race and watch. Two rounds in Spain and France... ehm, why?! Thought they wanted to keep the series for a good advertising and publicity in main markets (e.g. mentioning of Brazil).
Old 13 Oct 2011, 08:46 (Ref:2970328)   #9
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

Danes to the fore in the 2 day test midweek then!

Kevin Magnussen on Tuesday and Marco Sorensen yesterday.

Valteri Bottas, Adrian Quaife-Hobbs were also present.

God when you think that Kevin is only 18 if his career keeps its momentum and McLaren continue to back him, he could be in for a mega long career at the top!

Maybe the big rivalry of 5 years time will be Magnussen vs Korjus!!
Old 13 Oct 2011, 09:27 (Ref:2970360)   #10
strider
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Middle Earth
strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!
If it makes you feel better, Kevin was 19 last week!

He was also fastest in the afternoon of the second day, so this is clearly the formula for him.
Old 13 Oct 2011, 10:36 (Ref:2970399)   #11
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!
i have to agree with others in being a little disappointed with the 2012 calendar. the hungaroring date is wrong (and actually the racing hasn't been all that bad there in the past but it won't suit the drs system), it should be in july before the grand prix to capitalise on the enthusiasm of the locals for motorsport. i have no idea what to think about moscow, but really hope it's a success purely for the number of russian drivers who are in the series and in the eurocup.

about no silverstone round... i guess the costs are getting too great in terms of crowd management and so on but it's a real shame they can't limit the ticket numbers instead and do it on a smaller scale. there's some big sponsors involved with the event that were absolutely thrilled at the silverstone event, and their influential guests were too. that level of crowd participation is really only something you see at the spanish rounds, and it's key to their presence in something like wsr.

paul ricard is a great venue for the guests, and perhaps if it's in a second year the crowd numbers will pick up a bit. magny cours was better for racing, but hey, maybe they'll be able to use a slightly different layout to make things a little easier for overtaking.

spain is important for the organisers and it's where the whole thing started in the first place. motorland is well attended, and the atmosphere at barcelona is superb. so i don't see a problem with visiting those.

my choice would be to bin off the nurburgring or spa. i guess they stick with the nurburgring because they held a couple of trackdays there in the run up but it's grim, cold and horrible, and not particularly well attended either. the atmosphere is rubbish. spa is obviously a keeper, but if i were them i'd drop the wsr event and try and get fr3.5 there on its own.

monza needs to happen in the spare date.

excuse the sermon
Old 13 Oct 2011, 12:37 (Ref:2970478)   #12
strider
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Middle Earth
strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!
I need the calendar to include some events I can get to next year and that is my primary and selfish concern!
Old 13 Oct 2011, 18:24 (Ref:2970623)   #13
EastonNeston
Veteran

EastonNeston should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'd assume that the Nurburgring and Spa are kept as the German and Benelux markets are important for Renault.

You would also hope that Renault considered the UK market important, but it would seem that is not the case, or Renault UK no longer feel that a big motorsport event gives a suitable return for the costs.
Old 13 Oct 2011, 21:28 (Ref:2970715)   #14
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!
i've just noticed that in the barcelona edition of the "magazine" tv feature they produce, the competition marketing guy says that they will return to the uk as a support race, so it'll be interesting to see what they end up with. presumably that's the tba date in the middle.
Old 14 Oct 2011, 11:03 (Ref:2971005)   #15
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

FR3.5 as a support race?!

God that would be good!

The only things I can think of that could possibly fit that avenue would be ELMS (or whatever the Peugeot v Audi dust up is called nowadays?) or maybe another biggish sportscar series like FIA GT, even though in my mind the 3.5's would be the bigger card in the latter's case.
Old 14 Oct 2011, 11:51 (Ref:2971045)   #16
jondownunder
Veteran

United Kingdom
England
It's a similar time of year to when the Silverstone 6 Hours (ILMC/LMS) was this season, so I would hope it would be on the World Endurance Championship support bill. That would be a good meeting! Splitting the paddocks though is a big drawback (ILMC was at the new pits, the supports were behind the old pits... I assume that would have to continue).

Will be a shame to miss out on the FR Eurocup 2.0 and the UK series, but I'll take that if it does away with the horrible WSbR crowds (even though we'll have to pay now!) Here's hoping
Old 14 Oct 2011, 17:48 (Ref:2971245)   #17
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
why not save the money you'd pay for a ticket and go to spa or the nurburgring instead? it's quieter, more civilised, and exactly the same stuff to see.... if there's say, four of you that'd go, you'd pay £20 a ticket for something in the uk, that's £80, well there's the majority of your fuel bill. a ferry is £30-50 return, and you can b&b it or camp...
Old 15 Oct 2011, 00:29 (Ref:2971397)   #18
Stephen H
Veteran

England
East Sussex
Stephen H should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridStephen H should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridStephen H should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
It's a similar time of year to when the Silverstone 6 Hours (ILMC/LMS) was this season, so I would hope it would be on the World Endurance Championship support bill. That would be a good meeting! Splitting the paddocks though is a big drawback (ILMC was at the new pits, the supports were behind the old pits... I assume that would have to continue).

Will be a shame to miss out on the FR Eurocup 2.0 and the UK series, but I'll take that if it does away with the horrible WSbR crowds (even though we'll have to pay now!) Here's hoping
The 6hour was September? Has been for several years now? The TBC date is august Bank Holiday. Plus the 6 hour only managed one Euro F3 race as support on the Sunday.

Next year the ILMC will be the World Endurance Championship, and talk is Silverstone is not certain to get a round.

I can see the logic of a FR3.5 round only in the UK, as it would stopped the need to ferry across truck loads of vintage vehicles and displays, plus the clio`s had to rely on the dutch series this year.

But it`s a shame to loose the event, and if the TBC is to be in the UK, then it will face a lot of competition on the Bank Holiday weekend, and it is less likely to be an event that introduces newcomers to motorsport.
Old 15 Oct 2011, 09:40 (Ref:2971488)   #19
jondownunder
Veteran

United Kingdom
England
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen H View Post
The 6hour was September? Has been for several years now? The TBC date is august Bank Holiday. Plus the 6 hour only managed one Euro F3 race as support on the Sunday.
I only mean the the TBA date is at a similar time of year as I said, it's only a few weeks' difference. As recently as 2006 it was in August. Pure speculation though, and if the Silverstone WEC round sounds in doubt then it looks like that can't be it. And you're right, the 2nd FR 3.5 race would have to be squeezed in first thing in the morning before the 6 Hours.

Last edited by jondownunder; 15 Oct 2011 at 09:45.
Old 15 Oct 2011, 09:44 (Ref:2971491)   #20
jondownunder
Veteran

United Kingdom
England
Quote:
Originally Posted by bella View Post
why not save the money you'd pay for a ticket and go to spa or the nurburgring instead?
Spa would certainly be tempting. Always planned to go there at some point, and considered popping over to the WSbR meeting in the past... without friends into motorsport though the costs would be a bit higher!
Old 15 Oct 2011, 11:10 (Ref:2971513)   #21
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
Quote:
Spa would certainly be tempting. Always planned to go there at some point, and considered popping over to the WSbR meeting in the past... without friends into motorsport though the costs would be a bit higher!
it's a cracker, because it's just busy enough to get a feel of it being a well supported meeting, but quiet and open enough to have a really good explore of the circuit and the surrounding areas. i cost share with a friend and we can usually do it for under £200 saturday-sunday. well recommended, even if it's usually wet and grim
Old 15 Oct 2011, 13:10 (Ref:2971538)   #22
Stephen H
Veteran

England
East Sussex
Stephen H should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridStephen H should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridStephen H should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
I only mean the the TBA date is at a similar time of year as I said, it's only a few weeks' difference. As recently as 2006 it was in August. Pure speculation though, and if the Silverstone WEC round sounds in doubt then it looks like that can't be it. And you're right, the 2nd FR 3.5 race would have to be squeezed in first thing in the morning before the 6 Hours.
Sorry, should have read your post more carefully. If silverstone doesnt get the WEC there is always the european le mans series, so maybe, I guess the renaults would only take 20min or 30 mins longer to run than the F3`s.
Old 15 Oct 2011, 13:19 (Ref:2971541)   #23
Stephen H
Veteran

England
East Sussex
Quote:
Have to say after advice from "Bella on ten tenths", I plucked up the courage to do the Spa this year. And if you choose the right ferry crossing times and camp, the biggest cost was petrol, and being in the south of england, petrol wise would not have been much more than a trip to donington.

Next season the proposed date will be the June bank holiday weekend, so I dont know if that would effect ferry prices?
Old 15 Oct 2011, 16:28 (Ref:2971588)   #24
strider
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Middle Earth
I can see Spa being a definite for me and I'm hoping that the extra date will be either Monza or Silverstone.
Old 15 Oct 2011, 19:46 (Ref:2971643)   #25
mickey29
Racer

England
Wellingborough
mickey29 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridmickey29 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Off topic: from rumours I've heard Silverstone will have WEC but not LMES. The SIlverstone rounds of LMES and ILMC were the best attended IIRC, so I can't see them dropping a British round, and no other venue is big enough.

Back on topic: equally, I can't see Renault World Series wanting to abandon the busiest venue of the year.

The issue AFAIK is down to circuit hire fees.