Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Overdrive BTCC Diecast Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > General Forums > Armchair Enthusiast

Old 14 Jun 2011, 08:58 (Ref:2898638)   #101
mikenunn-78
Racer

United Kingdom
mikenunn-78 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Finally I saw this last night. This was the period of F1 when I was starting to take an interest in it and being very young had no idea of the behind the scenes politics I was gripped during the driver breifings.

My girlfriend has no interest at all in motorsport and she was left saddened by the whole experience commenting how melancholy Senna appears in all of the interviews and how sad it was that when it came to the crash he died all alone, none of the marshals approached the car.

I'll buy this when it comes out on DVD I think it's important to remember what had to happen in order that drivers now walk away from just about every accident with the most minor of injuries
Old 14 Jun 2011, 09:33 (Ref:2898651)   #102
diddy100
Racer

England
Within ear shot of Snetterton !
diddy100 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Make sure you don't sit behind very tall people - a lot of subtitles used. My wife and I had the pleasure of siting behind the tallest people at a recent pcaked showing in Norwich - missed a lot of the comments and spoiled the film slightly !
Old 14 Jun 2011, 12:36 (Ref:2898802)   #103
MiniMadness
Veteran

Canada
Glen Allen VA/Kent UK
MiniMadness should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Anyone know if and when this is being released in the US ?
Old 14 Jun 2011, 13:03 (Ref:2898819)   #104
skells22
Veteran

skells22 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
i got a question as well, when is this due to go on DVD/blue ray?
Old 14 Jun 2011, 17:36 (Ref:2898949)   #105
Paradise City
Veteran

Bhutan
Dublin
Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!
If this is a drama then poetic license and a liberal interpretation of the story is permitted.

If they are selling this is as a factual documentary then bias against Prost misleads the public and Prost is defintely entitled to be upset.

I'd like to just note I haven't seen this yet. I have access to it on my computer but I'll be paying to see it in the cinema this weekend.
Old 14 Jun 2011, 18:59 (Ref:2899000)   #106
chunder
Veteran

England
Stevenage
chunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Clearly a movie about Ayrton is going to bias him.

My view was that as someone who was around when all this was going on the reasons why the antipathy started were not given, just that there was an issue over favoritism in the team from one side, then the Estoril thing. That was the germ becoming a shoot!

The rest was pure theatre and they both have issues. But for me, the guy who takes his rival to the fence at 150mph in a strop about pole position can NEVER be on an equal footing in terms of class, no matter how much he cared about safety and other drivers. Same as the guy who drives a damaged car into his rival to take him out then tried to do the same a year later but messes it up.

But then, these things are always about interpretation.
Old 15 Jun 2011, 14:41 (Ref:2899516)   #107
strider
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Middle Earth
strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by skells22 View Post
i got a question as well, when is this due to go on DVD/blue ray?
If you go to Amazon they have these for sale already, but they're not worth getting. If you read the buyers' reviews the film is basically in Italian and, although there is an option to change the voice to English, the sub-titles remain in Italian.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MiniMadness View Post
Anyone know if and when this is being released in the US ?
August 12th
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paradise City View Post
I'd like to just note I haven't seen this yet. I have access to it on my computer but I'll be paying to see it in the cinema this weekend.
Wise choice. I think people who go hold of early copies just so they could say they had seen it made a big mistake. It's much better seen in a cinema.
Old 15 Jun 2011, 14:44 (Ref:2899522)   #108
Banger racer
Rookie

Banger racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Off to see it tonight! Can't wait
Old 15 Jun 2011, 15:20 (Ref:2899548)   #109
strider
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Middle Earth
strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!
One of the things that interested me was that the film also included footage of Viviane Galisteu, who was Senna's girl friend at the time of his death. He had an apartment in Portugal and she was there, waiting for him to come back after the race, when the accident occurred.

Her relationship with the Senna family was always difficult. They thought her a gold digger and at the funeral publicly snubbed her in favour of Xuxa Meneghel, his previous girlfriend, who is also seen in the film. That's why I was surprised to see her in the film, which was so rigorously checked over by the family. Perhaps time has added a different perspective.
Old 15 Jun 2011, 19:26 (Ref:2899722)   #110
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by strider View Post
Perhaps time has added a different perspective.
Maybe yes, maybe not. But in the end she was not a gold digger and I guess they had to accept it. She's doing very fine by now and never used his link to Senna for anything. However, the relation with Xuxa always raised suspicion for many people, as at the time it seemed to be a great big marketing strategy by GloboTV. Anyway, that footage of Senna going to her TV show and she kissing him, wishing a good new year always got me chilling... she kissed him happy new 89, happy 90, happy 91, happy 92 and happy 93... stopping there, no happy 94...
Old 15 Jun 2011, 19:44 (Ref:2899741)   #111
strider
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Middle Earth
I'm really glad you said that because I had exactly the same reaction!

I'm glad to hear Adriane (not Viviane!) is doing well now. Did you ever read the book she wrote?
Old 15 Jun 2011, 19:55 (Ref:2899751)   #112
beau1
Veteran

Wales
Swansea,Wales
beau1 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridbeau1 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridbeau1 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Not sure if this has been mentioned in this thread yet. Odean Cinemas are showing 'Senna' nationwide in the UK for one day on 21st June.

Helps me out because if this wasn't happening, I was looking at a trip to Cardiff Cineworld.

Glad that it's got a semi-general release though.
Old 15 Jun 2011, 20:11 (Ref:2899761)   #113
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by strider View Post
I'm really glad you said that because I had exactly the same reaction!

I'm glad to hear Adriane (not Viviane!) is doing well now. Did you ever read the book she wrote?
Yeah, long time ago, but nothing's special about it.
Old 16 Jun 2011, 02:36 (Ref:2899918)   #114
Lennon
Rookie

United Kingdom
Bournemouth
Lennon should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
She's doing very fine by now and never used his link to Senna for anything
Well, she was no one before dating him, and also wrote a book about him as soon as he died, and then people invited her to do shows and stuff on TV. U can say that she's not a golden digger, but u cannot tell that being Senna's last girlfriend never gave her lots of chances.
Old 16 Jun 2011, 10:16 (Ref:2900098)   #115
Banger racer
Rookie

Banger racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Watched the Senna last night - found it very emotional, moving and also funny at times. Although (obviosuly) very biased towards Senna, I thought it captured him personality very well and appealed to both motorsport and non-motorsport fans.

The footage they uncovered was incredible (although did spot the sound had been poorly over dubebd at times as mentioned earlier on this section) and also enjoyed how it captured the whole esence of 1 at the time from the cigarette advertising to the power of the FIA.

My only slight concerns were that it didn't mention how he got into F1...almost suggested he did a couple of karting races and then just drove in F1!

Still, a very good film of an amazing driver.
Old 16 Jun 2011, 13:03 (Ref:2900243)   #116
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Banger racer View Post
My only slight concerns were that it didn't mention how he got into F1...almost suggested he did a couple of karting races and then just drove in F1!
I guess that's because that's well known as he did it, but IIRC it showed some footage of that famous test he did for Williams back then...
Old 21 Jun 2011, 05:06 (Ref:2902682)   #117
fourWheelDrift
Veteran

United Kingdom
fourWheelDrift should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridfourWheelDrift should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridfourWheelDrift should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridfourWheelDrift should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Finally got to see this and have to say it's a great film although reliving Imola 94 was heartbreaking, it was bad enough the first time.

My son who is not into Motorsport loved it and says that he now understands who the great man was and that in those days F1 was so raw and dramatic that he might have been a fan.

It does make you realise how little of the story of a life can be squeezed into a film, so much was left out but I guess people wouldn't go to watch a six hour film .
Old 21 Jun 2011, 12:34 (Ref:2902851)   #118
Ingsy
Racer

Ingsy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Off to see this tonight. Our cineworld is only showing it today, it seems. Had my tickets bought for the last two weeks.
Old 21 Jun 2011, 22:13 (Ref:2903170)   #119
Paradise City
Veteran

Bhutan
Dublin
Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!
I enjoyed it. The drivers meetings where worth the price of the tickets alone. Balestre was hilarious! Senna had a good sense of fun. Senna's friendship with Berger was not noted which surprised me.

It was tilted against Prost somewhat but he was shown reconciling with him in later years and as a trustee of Senna's foundation. Some French director should do one of Prost to even up the balance. The Senna tragedy wasn't overdone nor was it overly sentimental but caught the mood just right. The sounds were great.

I do miss Senna and F1 from those times. Great film.
Old 22 Jun 2011, 08:30 (Ref:2903319)   #120
warweezil
Racer

England
Half way up on the left - far from Home
warweezil should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Saw it at Carmarthen last night, when I booked it was a one night only deal.. but checking this morning it has been extended into next week.

Enjoyed it immensely - although it reminded me of how much F1 has left me behind, although we have better coverage now, I find the sport itself is far less attractive.

There were a few places that drew laughter from the audience, and I think the introduction of a few "lighter" moments was well timed. I took someone much younger than I along, He says he learned about F1 as it was then (just before he started watching it).

I have seen (on another forum) someone saying they were disappointed with the film (Maybe a Prost fan ), But for me it was worth seeing.

Just My Opinion.... YMMV
Old 22 Jun 2011, 11:23 (Ref:2903418)   #121
ptclaus98
Veteran

United States
ptclaus98 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bononi View Post
Maybe yes, maybe not. But in the end she was not a gold digger and I guess they had to accept it. She's doing very fine by now and never used his link to Senna for anything. However, the relation with Xuxa always raised suspicion for many people, as at the time it seemed to be a great big marketing strategy by GloboTV. Anyway, that footage of Senna going to her TV show and she kissing him, wishing a good new year always got me chilling... she kissed him happy new 89, happy 90, happy 91, happy 92 and happy 93... stopping there, no happy 94...
I literally had that reaction as well.
Old 22 Jun 2011, 11:53 (Ref:2903436)   #122
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paradise City View Post

I do miss Senna and F1 from those times. Great film.

Looking at it through a logical perspective we can see how much those times affected the present by the directions taken after '94 events...
Old 22 Jun 2011, 11:59 (Ref:2903441)   #123
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bononi View Post
Looking at it through a logical perspective we can see how much those times affected the present by the directions taken after '94 events...
So many changes rushed through, some highy necessary like car safety, some not so like some of the circuit changes.

Ayrton's death left a huge vacuum in the driver ranks as well, only Damon and to a lesser extent Schuey, who was still developing, Berger and Alesi were considered biggish names as such? Compare that to now, practically the top dozen drivers are probably household names!

It took me a few years to reignite my passion for F1 after that May weekend, up until then I loved seeing the superstars against all the top young guns that had risen through F3 and 3000 that I had seen trackside in the UK etc.
Old 22 Jun 2011, 12:41 (Ref:2904236)   #124
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!
I watched the film last night, I really enjoyed it, though felt a bit depressed at the end, and I admit that I filled up slightly when all the images of the funeral were being played out. I was a bit surprised that there was no mention of his friendship with Berger, although apparently the version released to the public is 1hr 46min, whereas the one showed at Canne (the one that won all the awards) was 2hr 44min. So im not sure exactly what happened there and what was cut out.

The fact was that if that peice of suspension had not popped up in the manner it did and at that angle, Senna would probably be still alive today. I will concede that a lot of the safety measures in F1 today are a good thing, HANS, cockpit structures etc. Where I draw the line is tarmac run off. There is just too much of it, even Mark Webber said that they have gone too far in a few areas.
Old 22 Jun 2011, 12:47 (Ref:2904239)   #125
boyracer019
Rookie

boyracer019 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Went to watch it last night - I have deliberately ignored this thread until now
Thought there was a little too much hero worship - not enought of a balanced picture IMHO, but then again on reflection it was always going to be so.

In the theater
There was laughter
There were tuts - mostly at Balestre
There were gasps - At Rubens and then Roland going in
And then there was silence all the way from Ayrton's accident to the credits

Interestingly when the credits rolled, only 1 person moved (a theater of about 150) and 75% of the theater remained all the way to the final picture under the credits

Last edited by boyracer019; 22 Jun 2011 at 12:48. Reason: My Grammar needed improving