Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 12 Sep 2006, 11:17 (Ref:1708719)   #1
williamsf1
Veteran

williamsf1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Who here has been taught by " The F1 Driver coach Rob Wilson"

G'day all,

Just looking to see who has been and done a course with Rob Wilson, I hear from all reports that it is a great learning experience....

on the subject if you have done it, do you have any contact details like a website etc?

here in Australia his name crops up having "reformed" good drivers, into GREAT drivers...

comments?
Old 12 Sep 2006, 15:14 (Ref:1708892)   #2
Frank_White
Racer

Frank_White should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Who are the "Great:" drivers from Australia?
Old 12 Sep 2006, 15:54 (Ref:1708934)   #3
GarrettMacD
Rookie

Ireland
Lovely (?) Leicester
GarrettMacD should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Here's a few snippets I've picked up, please feel free to correct me if I'm wrong...

He has been contracted to McLaren for a while, and has coached Raikkonen, Montoya and Coulthard. I assume he has also coached Paffet and Hamilton.

Have you ever seen the Channel Five programme "Fifth Gear"???. There's a guy who has been on the programme a couple of times, name is Frank Mountain. Rob Wilson is his coach and raced with him at Le Mans. Mountain isn't particularly good, but I guess he paid for Wilson's seat at LM, so that probably saved him from laying out £50k!!!

He does not, to the best of my knowledge, have a website. You would probably have to contact him via the Cirtek GT team, and give him the option to get back to you. He seems to be a reasonably private figure, at least for someone who is involved with F1 drivers.

I know of one person who used him for half a day at Goodwood, about 10 years ago. The price then was £500, so I guess that today he would charge about £1500 for a full day. You would probably need at least 3 sessions to see significant improvement, assuming you have previous experience and are already pretty decent in a car. If you are at a lower level in racing you would undoubtedly be better off getting multiple sessions with an ARDS instructor. These would cost about £250, so you would get 6 sessions with an 'unknown' instructor Vs 1 session with Rob Wilson.

I don't know of any of the Australian drivers he has coached. Possibly Mark Webber and a few of the single seater drivers. I don't know of his record with other car types, i.e. FWD saloons, Aussie V8's, DTM, etc.

That's all I *think* I know. Somebody will be along soon to rip my snippets to shreds...
Old 12 Sep 2006, 16:15 (Ref:1708954)   #4
VIVA GT
Veteran

England
Leicestershire
VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!
I've seen Rob lots of times coaching drivers (including DC) at Bruntingthorpe Proving Ground (here in lovely Leicestershire!).
Apparently (or allegedly) he was also the bass guitarist in 60's rock band Eddison Lighthouse!

Must go now, time for my milky drink and a lay down...
Old 12 Sep 2006, 16:17 (Ref:1708957)   #5
b1ackcr0w
Veteran

b1ackcr0w is going for a new world record!b1ackcr0w is going for a new world record!b1ackcr0w is going for a new world record!b1ackcr0w is going for a new world record!b1ackcr0w is going for a new world record!b1ackcr0w is going for a new world record!b1ackcr0w is going for a new world record!
Is this the same Rob Wilson who partnered Tim Harvey in a Viper in the British GT Championship a few years ago?

If so, I seem to remember the Viper was too heavy and evil handling compared to the well sorted (Jordan/Warnock) Lister Storm, and Rob seemed to be the only person that year with the nuts to get it going as quick as it was capable of, when Tim hadn't crashed it that is.
Old 12 Sep 2006, 16:23 (Ref:1708966)   #6
strider
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Middle Earth
strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!
That'll be the same guy.

BAR Honda used him a couple of years ago when they carried out their Young Driver Evaluation Programme.

Many, many years ago he raced in F3. I think it may have been him who gave Ralt its first ever win, at Thruxton, I think.
Old 12 Sep 2006, 16:36 (Ref:1708978)   #7
Alan Raine
Veteran

England
Hale, Cheshire
Alan Raine should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAlan Raine should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAlan Raine should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAlan Raine should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Rob Wilson was fairly big in F3 around the late 70's early 80's. He had some good results although never made the big time. I believe he was very good at setting up cars and has now made a career out of driver coaching. Although I have never met him, he is recognised is being pretty good at what he does and a good guy to have around.
Old 12 Sep 2006, 16:55 (Ref:1708998)   #8
ensign14
Veteran

British Antarctic Territory
Deception Island
ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by VIVA GT
Apparently (or allegedly) he was also the bass guitarist in 60's rock band Eddison Lighthouse!
He was, but it's a bit complicated. There was really no such band, just a bunch of session musicians given a group name for the single and when it became a hit they had to put a band together (lead singer Tony Burrows was in 3 different bands in the top 10 at the same time - Edison, White Plains and Brotherhood of Man - in January 1970).

The "band" toured around their one hit and people came and went with some regularity - and Rob was one of the later bassists.

He nearly had a drive for Tyrrell in 1981 at San Marino, but Alboreto came up with some local funding.
Old 12 Sep 2006, 21:13 (Ref:1709182)   #9
mountainstar
Veteran

United States
mountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I know he worked for Skip Barber for sometime back in the early 90's especially with the barber-saab championship.