Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 1 Nov 2017, 21:13 (Ref:3778055)   #1
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Cheese Marcos Ambrose Interview With Greg Rust

Story Here

Owns his lot in life.
Reflecting on the good stuff Mr Ambrose takes from life, and moving on past the bad clearly agrees with him.
Life is much longer than a motor racing career

Nice interview Mr Rust. Supercar will miss his connection and likeability too
“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House
Old 1 Nov 2017, 21:17 (Ref:3778057)   #2
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
peckstar has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Was a great interview, really enjoyed it.

Hoping he will be in Newcastle when DJRTP win the championship
Old 1 Nov 2017, 22:02 (Ref:3778063)   #3
Kingair
Veteran

Kingair should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridKingair should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
His hotel, has just been nominated third best unique hotel in the world by Lonely Planet this week.

Always good to see a driver move out of the race seat, and move into a new career.
Old 2 Nov 2017, 03:52 (Ref:3778118)   #4
djr81
Racer

djr81 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by peckstar View Post
Was a great interview, really enjoyed it.

Hoping he will be in Newcastle when DJRTP win the championship
Was it? I thought Rust could have pressed him harder to properly discuss a number of things. The Greg Murphy fluff was obviously played for laughs but like most things supercars related it was pretty superficial.

Ambrose appears to be well happy with his lot so good luck to him. Shame he is lost to the sport, however.
Old 2 Nov 2017, 10:39 (Ref:3778146)   #5
Average Punter
Veteran

Australia
a drug store in Wagga
Average Punter should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridAverage Punter should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridAverage Punter should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Just watched it. Good yarn.

What really stuns me is the tripe that goes on in the comments section on that site.

Thankfully this place is usually more civil....
Punters Beer Fest. Indy 02, Clipsal 03, Winton 04, Paperclip 05, Darwin 06, Oran Park 07, Phillip Island 08, Sandown 09, Townsville 10, Symmons 11, Eastern Creek 12, Winton 13. Townsville 14. Paperclip 15, Sandown 16, Symmons 17, PI 18, The Bend 19
Old 2 Nov 2017, 11:06 (Ref:3778147)   #6
Umai Naa
Veteran

Umai Naa should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridUmai Naa should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
The comments sections on social media off the back of these sorts of things, are downright disgusting at times. I don't know how some people feel it's ok to think the way they do.
Old 3 Nov 2017, 08:32 (Ref:3778314)   #7
Razor
10-10ths official Trekkie
Veteran

Australia
Behind the wheel
Razor should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRazor should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRazor should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Umai Naa View Post
The comments sections on social media off the back of these sorts of things, are downright disgusting at times. I don't know how some people feel it's ok to think the way they do.
Trolls will be trolls.

Getting back on topic, I understand why Ambrose pulled the pin on NASCAR and then V8 Supercars to focus on spending time with his family. Being in the top levels means a LOT of time away from home and family and they miss a lot of achievements their kids do. Plus being away for bulk of the year can destroy relationships as well
Old 3 Nov 2017, 09:07 (Ref:3778317)   #8
one five five
Veteran

one five five should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridone five five should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by djr81 View Post
Was it? I thought Rust could have pressed him harder to properly discuss a number of things. The Greg Murphy fluff was obviously played for laughs but like most things supercars related it was pretty superficial.
I thought it was pretty light on as well, but perhaps thats all it was ever intended to be (maybe a proviso for the interview to happen at all?)

My take is that he was done with NASCAR, wanted to come home and felt he didn't want to stop racing, then once he was home and back into it realised he could live without racing, and made the smart decision to stop (pretty much) the minute the desire was lost rather than tool around on a 'retirement tour for the fans'.

His participation in the 2015 enduro's probably worked out ok as well, he did a solid job, and after a few months out of the chair it would have been a good guide to reinforce whether he had made the right choice to stop, or if he missed it and wanted to carry on.

No shame in stopping early, the likes of Geoghegan, Martin and Morris did so as well.
Old 4 Nov 2017, 21:16 (Ref:3778619)   #9
275 GTB-4
Veteran

Australia
South of Sydney NSW, Australie
275 GTB-4 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid275 GTB-4 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I am happy that Marcus has found life after racing...we are sometimes a little selfish when it comes to hero-worship etc...

As for the Murphy "fluff"...I was on the Flag Point at the incident, and my heart sank when Marcus rode the wall. Next time you visit Mount Panorama, have a look what is behind the "safety barrier"
Old 6 Nov 2017, 04:18 (Ref:3778937)   #10
Sandgroper
Veteran

Australia
Perth WA (south of the river)
Sandgroper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by 275 GTB-4 View Post
I am happy that Marcus has found life after racing...we are sometimes a little selfish when it comes to hero-worship etc...

As for the Murphy "fluff"...I was on the Flag Point at the incident, and my heart sank when Marcus rode the wall. Next time you visit Mount Panorama, have a look what is behind the "safety barrier"
Oh do tell?
But be bolted down otherwise it would be stolen
Old 6 Nov 2017, 04:30 (Ref:3778939)   #11
275 GTB-4
Veteran

Australia
South of Sydney NSW, Australie
275 GTB-4 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid275 GTB-4 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandgroper View Post
Oh do tell?
But be bolted down otherwise it would be stolen
No eye deer what part you want bolted down...but if Marcos had carried just a smidgin more speed, the drop behind that wall has got to be at least 30 metres...would have been difficult for medical and recovery to get to him quickly around the back of the circuit

Last edited by 275 GTB-4; 6 Nov 2017 at 04:45.
Old 8 Nov 2017, 01:48 (Ref:3779354)   #12
djr81
Racer

djr81 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by one five five View Post
I thought it was pretty light on as well, but perhaps thats all it was ever intended to be (maybe a proviso for the interview to happen at all?)

My take is that he was done with NASCAR, wanted to come home and felt he didn't want to stop racing, then once he was home and back into it realised he could live without racing, and made the smart decision to stop (pretty much) the minute the desire was lost rather than tool around on a 'retirement tour for the fans'.

His participation in the 2015 enduro's probably worked out ok as well, he did a solid job, and after a few months out of the chair it would have been a good guide to reinforce whether he had made the right choice to stop, or if he missed it and wanted to carry on.

No shame in stopping early, the likes of Geoghegan, Martin and Morris did so as well.
I thought there was an opportunity to detangle the lost motivation/lack of belief he could lead djrtp/belief the car wasnt good enough/belief the cars had changed too much from what he had at SBR grab bag of reasons and to look at them with a bit of hindsight.

Its not like he lacked ability - he wasn't anywhere near the weakest link and the cars improved after a slow start in 2015 (mostly in 2016 and especially now, obviously).

But maybe the relaxed & happy bloke you see on the tv (Ambrose, not Rust) is more than enough of a reason. So good luck to him and good luck to djrtp who are also going along nicely at the moment. The best revenge is to live well, after all. (A reference to Murphy, not djrtp)
Old 8 Nov 2017, 04:35 (Ref:3779384)   #13
Sandgroper
Veteran

Australia
Quote:
Originally Posted by 275 GTB-4 View Post
No eye deer what part you want bolted down...but if Marcos had carried just a smidgin more speed, the drop behind that wall has got to be at least 30 metres...would have been difficult for medical and recovery to get to him quickly around the back of the circuit
Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh I understand now
I misread your post
Old 8 Nov 2017, 05:00 (Ref:3779389)   #14
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
peckstar has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandgroper View Post
Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh I understand now
I misread your post
I think i read it the same as you, was expecting some nice little memento or comment on the wall at that spot
Old 9 Nov 2017, 04:45 (Ref:3779570)   #15
Average Punter
Veteran

Australia
a drug store in Wagga
Average Punter should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridAverage Punter should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridAverage Punter should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Makes you wonder where that kangaroo came from that kamikazed into Jim Richards in 2004.
Punters Beer Fest. Indy 02, Clipsal 03, Winton 04, Paperclip 05, Darwin 06, Oran Park 07, Phillip Island 08, Sandown 09, Townsville 10, Symmons 11, Eastern Creek 12, Winton 13. Townsville 14. Paperclip 15, Sandown 16, Symmons 17, PI 18, The Bend 19
Old 9 Nov 2017, 23:20 (Ref:3779707)   #16
old fart
Racer

Australia
a racetrack -wish it was Mt Panorama.
old fart should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridold fart should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Average Punter View Post
Makes you wonder where that kangaroo came from that kamikazed into Jim Richards in 2004.
We breed them big - good fresh country air and feed(well most of the time) all helps.

Unfortunately prolonged dry weather makes them head closer to town in their quest for food and water.
Old 12 Nov 2017, 01:01 (Ref:3779980)   #17
Sandgroper
Veteran

Australia
What a great interview, pity they couldnt do a full hour interview but great insight to the man. Nice to see him relaxed and move on.