Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 21 Mar 2018, 13:01 (Ref:3809609)   #1401
Greem
Veteran

United Kingdom
Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I honestly don't think they'll care.

We've had DRS, kinky noses, low noses, high noses, grooved tyres, narrow wings, wide wings, wings themselves, bargeboards, flick-flack aero, cockpits with low sides, cockpits with high sides, V12, V8, V6, supercharging, turbocharging, flappy paddle gearboxes, rear engines, yadda yadda yadda - all have been posited at the time as the beginning of the end.

Maybe the Halo is the End of the Beginning of the End, or something, but I genuinely don't see it as a single contributing factor to why a casual fan won't like the look of a car.
Old 21 Mar 2018, 14:03 (Ref:3809622)   #1402
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greem View Post

We've had DRS, kinky noses, low noses, high noses, grooved tyres, narrow wings, wide wings, wings themselves, bargeboards, flick-flack aero, cockpits with low sides, cockpits with high sides, V12, V8, V6, supercharging, turbocharging, flappy paddle gearboxes, rear engines, yadda yadda yadda - all have been posited at the time as the beginning of the end.

Maybe the Halo is the End of the Beginning of the End, or something, but I genuinely don't see it as a single contributing factor to why a casual fan won't like the look of a car.
Apart from the Halo, aesthetically the current F1 cars are fine. Subsequently, I see the Halo as the single contributing factor to why a casual fan won't like the look of a car.
Old 21 Mar 2018, 14:09 (Ref:3809624)   #1403
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:

Old 21 Mar 2018, 15:14 (Ref:3809639)   #1404
Mike Harte
Veteran

United Kingdom
W. Yorkshire
Mike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:

We've had DRS, ..................

.............yadda yadda yadda - all have been posited at the time as the beginning of the end.
I have diligently searched through the latest FIA rules and regulations, but a yadda yadda yadda has got me beat. Where is it actually positioned?
Old 21 Mar 2018, 15:54 (Ref:3809642)   #1405
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Exactly where I need to be.
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Harte View Post
I have diligently searched through the latest FIA rules and regulations, but a yadda yadda yadda has got me beat. Where is it actually positioned?
I think this was the yadda yadda yadda

Old 21 Mar 2018, 16:05 (Ref:3809644)   #1406
Greem
Veteran

United Kingdom
Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Harte View Post
It's the mandatory radio button, mainly used by Kimi and Seb
Old 21 Mar 2018, 16:32 (Ref:3809650)   #1407
E.B
Veteran

United Kingdom
About 7kms East of Albert Park Melbourne
E.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
It's the mandatory radio button, mainly used by Kimi and Seb
Kimi only uses it to say STFU I know what Im doing.....
Old 22 Mar 2018, 22:03 (Ref:3809988)   #1408
F1Guy
Veteran

Antarctica
Driving dangerously
F1Guy User has been fined for unsportsmanlike behaviour!
So F1 have already made changes because drivers towards the front of the grid are concerned about not being able to see the start lights. And now the FiA have issued a mandatory change to all circuits coming up on the calendar.

The lack of visibility of the start lights was bought up very early on in the halo introduction, but FiA/FOM wait 'till the GP weekend to make changes??

Old 22 Mar 2018, 23:14 (Ref:3809997)   #1409
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!
err... they tested real life visibility out in pre-season testing and had a solution fabricated and installed in time for the first race of the season... seems pretty fair to me. or are you throwing a wobbly about them not telling you first?
Old 23 Mar 2018, 04:08 (Ref:3810031)   #1410
Skam85
Veteran

Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!
Utterly outrageous to think that they'd use common sense and install lower lights once the cars are actually at the circuit... I wonder if this latest travesty will cause even more to ask for a refund of their tickets? There might only be a handful attendees at this rate on Sunday.
Old 23 Mar 2018, 08:58 (Ref:3810051)   #1411
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by F1Guy View Post
The lack of visibility of the start lights was bought up very early on in the halo introduction, but FiA/FOM wait 'till the GP weekend to make changes??

When do you think they should have made the changes to a temporary circuit?

As you say, the issue was identified previously. Would they also have been criticised if they had designed changes but not tested them when the cars are at the track?

It seems to me that - yes there are people upset about the introduction of the Halo - but eventually people will have to accept that they are on the cars for 2018 and get on with it.

Let's hope the start of racing will mean we can finally stop whinging about a change that has already been introduced.
Old 23 Mar 2018, 10:14 (Ref:3810067)   #1412
E.B
Veteran

United Kingdom
E.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by crmalcolm View Post

Let's hope the start of racing will mean we can finally stop whinging about a change that has already been introduced.
Lets just hope it does not go on for as long as the 'Why did we have to lose V10's' debate, still mourned and moaned about well over a decade on.
Old 23 Mar 2018, 10:16 (Ref:3810069)   #1413
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Quote:
Originally Posted by E.B View Post
Lets just hope it does not go on for as long as the 'Why did we have to lose V10's' debate, still mourned and moaned about well over a decade on.
Was there such an outcry over grooved tyres?

They were eventually removed and we went back to slicks - look how pleased everyone is now with the tyres!!
Old 23 Mar 2018, 10:22 (Ref:3810071)   #1414
F1Guy
Veteran

Antarctica
Driving dangerously
F1Guy User has been fined for unsportsmanlike behaviour!
Fernando Alonso was one the more vocal, and very much in favour of the halo being implemented as a necessary safety device.

Then he complained on the radio that the halo impeded his vision when he almost ran into the back of the Force India during practice.
Old 23 Mar 2018, 10:27 (Ref:3810073)   #1415
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Quote:
Originally Posted by F1Guy View Post
Fernando Alonso was one the more vocal, and very much in favour of the halo being implemented as a necessary safety device.

Then he complained on the radio that the halo impeded his vision when he almost ran into the back of the Force India during practice.
I expect the complaint over the radio was more a heat of the moment comment rather than a long-term viewpoint. Typically drivers will clutch at any excuse for making an error as opposed to admitting their own mistake.

I wouldn't take many drivers' comments over the radio as a reasoned argument for change.
Old 23 Mar 2018, 11:22 (Ref:3810096)   #1416
billybanana
Veteran

billybanana should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridbillybanana should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I live in Melbourne. Been to all bar one GP over the years and to Singapore a couple of times. Made up my mind a long ago I wouldn't attend now they've introduced the halo. The single most hideous thing I've seen on a race car. I'm not paying money to look at that monstrosity.
Old 23 Mar 2018, 11:23 (Ref:3810098)   #1417
mini1400
Veteran

United Kingdom
Chelmsford, Essex
mini1400 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Why not put lights on the inside edge of the Halo that mirror the track side lights?

Could then be used for starts, red flags, blues, yellows etc

No more 'I didn't see the flags' issues then either?
Old 23 Mar 2018, 11:25 (Ref:3810100)   #1418
Tourer
Veteran

Australia
Sideways
Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by mini1400 View Post
Why not put lights on the inside edge of the Halo that mirror the track side lights?

Could then be used for starts, red flags, blues, yellows etc

No more 'I didn't see the flags' issues then either?
Well they already have those lights on the dash of course - not the start lights but all the signalling lights.
Old 23 Mar 2018, 13:35 (Ref:3810139)   #1419
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
I think the halo's flaws will be shown more now the cars are racing with it for the first time
Old 23 Mar 2018, 14:14 (Ref:3810152)   #1420
littleman
Veteran

littleman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridlittleman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
As a layman, I can see how the Halo offers protection against flying wheels, suspension, bodywork etc but I can't see how it can prevent much smaller objects from penetrating the cockpit.

How does it prevent injury in a "Helmut Marko" type incident? I can't work out how it stops stones, nuts, bolts, any small debris actually, from hitting the drivers visor.
Old 23 Mar 2018, 14:35 (Ref:3810156)   #1421
E.B
Veteran

United Kingdom
Quote:
Originally Posted by littleman View Post
As a layman, I can see how the Halo offers protection against flying wheels, suspension, bodywork etc but I can't see how it can prevent much smaller objects from penetrating the cockpit.

How does it prevent injury in a "Helmut Marko" type incident? I can't work out how it stops stones, nuts, bolts, any small debris actually, from hitting the drivers visor.
Or more recently the Felipe Massa 2009 Hungarian GP incident, when his skull was fractured by a small object thrown up off of Barichello's Brawn.
Old 23 Mar 2018, 14:40 (Ref:3810157)   #1422
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by littleman View Post

The Shield or Windscreen, they are currently in IndyCar would be better. With the Halo, there is nothing to stop another Massa type accident.
Old 23 Mar 2018, 14:41 (Ref:3810158)   #1423
littleman
Veteran

littleman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridlittleman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
My point exactly!

Does anyone on here know the answer?
Old 23 Mar 2018, 14:43 (Ref:3810160)   #1424
Greem
Veteran

United Kingdom
Quote:
Originally Posted by E.B View Post
Or more recently the Felipe Massa 2009 Hungarian GP incident, when his skull was fractured by a small object thrown up off of Barichello's Brawn.
To be fair, that was a spring from the rear suspension of the Brawn, and it wasn't small at all. That's why it did so much damage.

The halo isn't designed to stop small bits hitting the visor - that's why the visors themselves have been strengthened over the years.

I know it's aesthetically displeasing, but given a set problem of "stop stuff bigger than X hitting the helmet from any direction" it seems to fulfil the brief. If the brief was "stop anything hitting the helmet from any direction" then the only solution would be a canopy.

I think it looks rubbish, but then I thought the stepped noses looked rubbish and I soon stopped caring about them. Both were a case of function over form.
Old 23 Mar 2018, 14:55 (Ref:3810162)   #1425
littleman
Veteran

http://www.motorsportretro.com/wp-co...lmutMarkO2.jpg

As a driver this would concern me more. You'd never see a smaller object coming and have the time to react.