Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > ACO Regulated Series

Old 26 Sep 2011, 16:15 (Ref:2961212)   #101
JohnMiller
Veteran

JohnMiller should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridJohnMiller should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
No problem Victor RO, I was just making the point that the 45 car was a lap ahead with seconds to go and was rather unfortunate to not win, to say the least.
Old 26 Sep 2011, 17:18 (Ref:2961235)   #102
vyselegend
Racer

France
Paris, France
vyselegend should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Here's a clip of the race, not really highlighting the events, but nice to watch nonetheless. There's a clean overtaking from the Rebellion on the Pesca at ~3mn40.

Waiting for more comprehensible footage, but this clip confirms there were profesional cameramen recording the event, so I'm optimist we get to see more soon.
Old 26 Sep 2011, 19:50 (Ref:2961306)   #103
ubrben
Veteran

United Kingdom
Birmingham
ubrben has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
The key plays in the GTE race were:

Stint 1 - Rob Bell checks out and leads by 25 seconds
Stint 2 - James Walker checks out and leads by 48 seconds
Stint 3 - Rob hits Jota and looses 20 seconds. Rob then comes up to lap Pilet in the IMSA Porsche in P3, who then proceeds to block him and slow him down by 3 seconds a lap, completely ignoring blue flags until the 77 car is just 3 seconds behind. 77 then leapfrogs 66 in the pits and leads again. 88 Felbemayr also used by Porsche as a blocker and gets a stop/go having lost Rob another 3 seconds or so
Stint 4 James catches up to the back of 77
Stint 5 Rob emerges ahead off 77 in the pitstops and holds on for the win.

Amazing feeling on the wall at the end, but the organised blocking across two separate teams by Porsche is the most cynical thing I've ever seen - they should be ashamed. But the result proves that cheats don't prosper :-)

Ben
Old 26 Sep 2011, 19:55 (Ref:2961310)   #104
Deleted
Veteran

Deleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
The rules don't exactly forbid blocking... so technically it isn't cheating, just playing safe and dirty

Obvously I haven't seen any footage but I doubt it's any worse than the stuff diesels do to each other in every race
Old 26 Sep 2011, 20:13 (Ref:2961317)   #105
ubrben
Veteran

United Kingdom
Birmingham
ubrben has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chiana View Post
The rules don't exactly forbid blocking... so technically it isn't cheating, just playing safe and dirty

Obvously I haven't seen any footage but I doubt it's any worse than the stuff diesels do to each other in every race
For me ignoring blue flags for 10+ laps is beyond fair. I don't mind a bit of blocking for position - I think MS at Monza was ok to be honest, but if you're a lap down that's a step too far.

I hesitate to say it, but the blue flags only appeared when someone complained, and after the Ricard start debacle it just looked like someone was "owed" a win, if that doesn't sound too conspiratorial.

Ben
Old 26 Sep 2011, 21:02 (Ref:2961349)   #106
AGD
Veteran

AGD should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridAGD should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chiana View Post
According to Hindy, yes.
Quote:
Originally Posted by vyselegend View Post
Here's a clip of the race, not really highlighting the events, but nice to watch nonetheless. There's a clean overtaking from the Rebellion on the Pesca at ~3mn40.

Waiting for more comprehensible footage, but this clip confirms there were profesional cameramen recording the event, so I'm optimist we get to see more soon.
Any idea if the highlight show, if one will exist, will air on SpeedTV? They used to air LMS highlights (albeit very delayed) back in the day, but I don't know if they are still doing that. Maybe it is on Speed2, but I don't have access to that. I don't know if Racefanstv is showing LMS highlights now either. The LMS used to upload highlights (I'm not talking about the video podcasts linked above) to Dailymotion or something like that a couple of years ago, but I don't think they are doing that anymore.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Victor_RO View Post
EDIT: In other news, Karim Ojjeh will be retiring from driving duties.[/url]
The Ojjeh's still own that Zytek, right? Will they continue to own one (or both) of the cars that Greaves will use next year? I know there was word that they would run two cars next year, but I have no idea regarding the details of the program. Anyway, congrats to Ojjeh and Greaves on a spectacular season. Oh, and a Norma on the podium? Who would have guessed that? Great job by them even if it was a little lucky.
Old 26 Sep 2011, 21:28 (Ref:2961370)   #107
AndrewF31
Veteran

Canada
Spain
AndrewF31 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridAndrewF31 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Real shame this wasn't televised. Was at the circuit joyriding around the track. Got some up close visuals near the end of the JMW and Felbermayr duking it out at the uphill chicane for the GTE lead. And even the IMSA Porsche was busying receiving jabs from the lonesome AF Corse 458.
Not to mention the grudge match between Pescarolo and Rebellion, including an amazing pass by Rebellion almost half way through on the Pescarolo down the start-finish straight.

TV companies and sponsors really got it wrong by not investing in TV coverage.

There's nothing like Le Mans racing. Those LMPs are just amazing looking machines.

And was great to shake hands with Bobby Rahal in the paddock as he was there driving a Lola in the Classic Endurance race, also a very entertaining lot.
Old 27 Sep 2011, 07:27 (Ref:2961508)   #108
rich07
Veteran

Australia
Victoria
rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!
Sounds like a great race and would love to see the GT-E battle but unfortunately it looks like we may not. Half assed doesnt begin to describe what I think of this.....

Thanks to vyselegend btw for posting the link to the xtremeproductions vid on youtube.
Old 27 Sep 2011, 10:25 (Ref:2961563)   #109
old man
Veteran

England
UK
old man should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridold man should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridold man should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Thanks ubrben for more insight than you can get from Live Timing, this explains Reb Bell's comment post race (DSC) that "Porsche pulled rank", all adds to the picture and makes lack of TV a real shame.

If Hindy is reading this can he give any idea when (If??) the highlights will be on. Will need to set the recording device as I shall not be in UK next week.

Surely ignoring blue flags is an offence?
Old 27 Sep 2011, 10:29 (Ref:2961567)   #110
Joe Taylor
Veteran

United Kingdom
Warwickshire, UK
Joe Taylor should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I thought the general rule in sportscar racing was that blue flags are advisory that there is a faster car behind, but it is up to the car behind to actually make the pass.

Dangerous blocking on the other hand (if this is what actually happened) should be clamped down upon whether it's for position or lapping traffic.
Old 27 Sep 2011, 12:34 (Ref:2961634)   #111
vyselegend
Racer

France
Paris, France
vyselegend should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Taylor View Post
I thought the general rule in sportscar racing was that blue flags are advisory that there is a faster car behind, but it is up to the car behind to actually make the pass.

Dangerous blocking on the other hand (if this is what actually happened) should be clamped down upon whether it's for position or lapping traffic.
I was about to answear that Blue flag is a categoric invitation to let the faster car pass, but a quick check on the official sources left me puzzled. Indeed, the Le Mans Sporting Regulations pdf does not even contain the words "blue flag" (that, or I am a crappy reader, and a poor user of the CTRL+F function...)

Only place to display info about flags on the lemans-series.com website is here, and surprisingly the only description to Blue Flag is: "A faster competitor is about to overtake."

So indeed it seems the Blue Flag waiving is just informative for the slower driver, but does not imply a mandatory pass of the faster car...

Anyway I'm not for the hard blue flag rule ala F1, because in sportscar a laped car must have the right to unlap itself if it's faster, but obviously no one is pleased by the blockings like the ones from Pugs at 2010 Zhuhai and 2011 LM, and Audi's 2011 Sebring etc...

My feeling is that the lack of rules forbiding blocking is a sensible choice for Sportscar racing, but somehow ACO should find a way to prevent abuse from competitors. (ie clarifying the limits of the line between defensive driving and dangerous blocking.)
Old 8 Oct 2011, 16:11 (Ref:2967604)   #112
outnumbered
Racer

United Kingdom
Reading
outnumbered should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'm just watching the highlights of this race on Motors TV in the UK. It is possibly the worst race coverage I have ever seen. They spent most of it covering qualifying and a load of pointless driver interviews, and about 10% of the time on the race itself. Complete waste of time
Old 8 Oct 2011, 20:31 (Ref:2967684)   #113
isynge
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by outnumbered View Post
I'm just watching the highlights of this race on Motors TV in the UK. It is possibly the worst race coverage I have ever seen. They spent most of it covering qualifying and a load of pointless driver interviews, and about 10% of the time on the race itself. Complete waste of time
Rapidly coming to the conclusion that the only way of watching races is either live T&S with radio or seeing them in the flesh.

When coverage works it's great, but it so often disappoints.

I know in a lot of ways this sounds like needless moaning, given we now have so much more than we did in years gone by, but really there are fewer and fewer excuses for bad production values these days.