Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 1 Oct 2011, 12:10 (Ref:2963390)   #51
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
peckstar has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Armco Bender View Post
Explains why the V8's go to the Middle East and 3 people turn up to watch it then.
sorry thought id already made it clear, if you can help expand market share then you get a reduced priced, like the austin race, if you cant help expand that share you pay the full price like NZ will do if they wanted it
Old 1 Oct 2011, 12:12 (Ref:2963392)   #52
on_to_it
Veteran

New Zealand
New Zealand
on_to_it has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!

[QUOTE=The only thing rugby is good for is promoting gay rights.[/QUOTE]

What. Are you serious?
Old 1 Oct 2011, 12:48 (Ref:2963399)   #53
Carsandmotorracing
Veteran

New Zealand
Auckland NZ
Carsandmotorracing should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by on_to_it View Post
What. Are you serious?
A bit tounge in cheek

Seems as though all I ever see when I watch a rugby game is grown men jumping on each other
Old 1 Oct 2011, 21:16 (Ref:2963843)   #54
promax
Veteran

New Zealand
New Zealand
promax has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carsandmotorracing View Post
A bit tounge in cheek

Seems as though all I ever see when I watch a rugby game is grown men jumping on each other
you need to go crawl back into your cave if that's how you really feel

regardless if you like rugby or not.. influx of rugby fans is a good thing for the country. dream on if you think NZ will ever get a F1 GP
Old 1 Oct 2011, 21:28 (Ref:2963849)   #55
Carsandmotorracing
Veteran

New Zealand
Auckland NZ
Carsandmotorracing should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by promax View Post
you need to go crawl back into your cave if that's how you really feel

regardless if you like rugby or not.. influx of rugby fans is a good thing for the country. dream on if you think NZ will ever get a F1 GP
Yes I can dream!
Old 1 Oct 2011, 23:59 (Ref:2964095)   #56
cavvy
Veteran

cavvy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Juarez Jed View Post
Well good news for V8supercars DRT if they can buy the $9m assets for a song and flog them to someone else.
another brick in the wall for opponents of street races -
Old 3 Oct 2011, 00:00 (Ref:2964538)   #57
Mr Revhead
Veteran

New Zealand
New Zealand
Mr Revhead has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
oh lol, the RWC is a have. Well off topic but rugby is the pits.
This cup was well over hyped and the numbers talked about have failed to arrive.
Towns have spent millions and it will not be recovered.

As for races, It's hard to imagine anything above the V8s coming to NZ. We are such a ****ant market on the world stage that why would anyone bother? If Mr Giltrap hadn't fronted the $$ A1 wouldn't have come here.

The street race will never ever happen in Welly again. I'd have said Chch would be the best bet for a street race.
Old 3 Oct 2011, 01:31 (Ref:2964551)   #58
promax
Veteran

New Zealand
New Zealand
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Revhead View Post
oh lol, the RWC is a have. Well off topic but rugby is the pits.
This cup was well over hyped and the numbers talked about have failed to arrive.
Towns have spent millions and it will not be recovered.

As for races, It's hard to imagine anything above the V8s coming to NZ. We are such a ****ant market on the world stage that why would anyone bother? If Mr Giltrap hadn't fronted the $$ A1 wouldn't have come here.

The street race will never ever happen in Welly again. I'd have said Chch would be the best bet for a street race.
care to name some of these towns that have spent millions?
Old 3 Oct 2011, 01:36 (Ref:2964552)   #59
Mr Revhead
Veteran

New Zealand
New Zealand
Any town that has hosted games and to do so has had to upgrade stadiums, footpaths, close roads, put people up bridges for security, etc etc.
Massive costs yet hotel owners report bugger all people staying...
Old 3 Oct 2011, 02:12 (Ref:2964561)   #60
mountainstar
Veteran

United States
mountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Any town that has hosted games and to do so has had to upgrade stadiums, footpaths, close roads, put people up bridges for security, etc etc.
Dunedin if I recall built a brand new stadium and plenty of others upgraded and put a lot of money in over the years. And I've been hearing for at least 2 years that bazillions of people would turn up from all over the road and I think it's been a bust, at least from what I have heard. I think people were expecting something like the Soccer World Cup and it was anything but. Maybe some foreigners came but not enough worth the investment.

A V8 race at an airfield in an urban area makes tons of sense for minimal investment. As I recall, V8SC bought all the barriers and fencing off of Hamilton for $1.5 mil. At the airfield, they'll have plenty of room to spread out and accommodate a crowd. Great idea.
Old 3 Oct 2011, 02:32 (Ref:2964566)   #61
promax
Veteran

New Zealand
New Zealand
Quote:
Millions were spent upgrading stadiums?? Dunedin finally got around to replacing an ageing Carisbrook (that wasn't up to test standards) and money was spent on Eden Park. can't say i've seen millions spent in New Plymouth, Napier, Palmerston North or Wellington?? looking on tv.. Trafalgar Park, Waikato Stadium & Rotorua Stadium don't look like they've had million dollar upgrades either? obviously any big event will cost money.. at least we're getting better bang for bucks than the money we throw away on the America's Cup.
Old 3 Oct 2011, 02:36 (Ref:2964568)   #62
promax
Veteran

New Zealand
New Zealand
Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainstar View Post
A V8 race at an airfield in an urban area makes tons of sense for minimal investment. As I recall, V8SC bought all the barriers and fencing off of Hamilton for $1.5 mil. At the airfield, they'll have plenty of room to spread out and accommodate a crowd. Great idea.
would V8SC want to race on airfield? i thought it was a street race or nothing.
Old 3 Oct 2011, 02:43 (Ref:2964571)   #63
Mr Revhead
Veteran

New Zealand
New Zealand
Trafalgar park underwent a lot of work. A year ago there was like one stand. They also redid footpaths and added in a couple of flash bus stops just for 3 rugby games.
Not to mention all the $$$ that has been spent behind the scenes.
It was pointed out last year that the council will not recoup the money they are spending and they are relying on tourists to spend money in the region to make it worth while.
Report the other day said tourists operators and accommodation suppliers were reporting between 0-5% increase over this time last year.

So many people have been saying all will be well after the RWC as if it will solve all of NZs problems. News flash NZ, 99% of the world doesn't give a toss about rugby.
And the majority of them are in the wrong time zone to watch much of it.

Well off topic not! So may as well carry on, here it is:
Rugby is bad for NZ.
The thuggish booze culture surrounding it makes me ashamed to be a Kiwi.
Do not even attempt to deny that. Rugby = booze = thuggery.
Old 3 Oct 2011, 03:01 (Ref:2964574)   #64
Purist
Veteran

United States
Wichita, Kansas, USA
Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!
I was actually somewhat amazed to see a RWC match on NBC today (yes, that NBC). Also, FOX (not any of the secondary channels, but the FTA network the comes along with NBC, ABC, CBS, and PBS) has been showing Premier League Football of late.

As for V8s in NZ, it sounds like the airbase is the only real option at present. If Tony only wants a true street circuit, then he's not serious about making a NZ round happen.
Old 3 Oct 2011, 03:29 (Ref:2964577)   #65
promax
Veteran

New Zealand
New Zealand
Quote:
Trafalgar park underwent a lot of work. A year ago there was like one stand. They also redid footpaths and added in a couple of flash bus stops just for 3 rugby games.
Not to mention all the $$$ that has been spent behind the scenes.
It was pointed out last year that the council will not recoup the money they are spending and they are relying on tourists to spend money in the region to make it worth while.
Report the other day said tourists operators and accommodation suppliers were reporting between 0-5% increase over this time last year.

So many people have been saying all will be well after the RWC as if it will solve all of NZs problems. News flash NZ, 99% of the world doesn't give a toss about rugby.
And the majority of them are in the wrong time zone to watch much of it.
Million plus fans attend RWC pool games

Wichita, Kansas, USA must be in the right timezone just like that evening games for the UK teams

Quote:
Well off topic not! So may as well carry on, here it is:
Rugby is bad for NZ.
The thuggish booze culture surrounding it makes me ashamed to be a Kiwi.
Do not even attempt to deny that. Rugby = booze = thuggery.
LMAO!!!!!!!!!!!!! ever been to Bathurst? man you really need to get off your high horse
Old 3 Oct 2011, 03:32 (Ref:2964578)   #66
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Purist View Post
I was actually somewhat amazed to see a RWC match on NBC today (yes, that NBC). Also, FOX (not any of the secondary channels, but the FTA network the comes along with NBC, ABC, CBS, and PBS) has been showing Premier League Football of late.

As for V8s in NZ, it sounds like the airbase is the only real option at present. If Tony only wants a true street circuit, then he's not serious about making a NZ round happen.
There has been a lot of chat about what might represent a suitable venue in NZ. Mr Murphy has stated the obvious, that the NZ event (why is there only one?) needs to be near a major population centre, to embrace the event across a wider cross section of the population.

V8SA has always shouted from the rooftops that the Clipsal 500 weekend in Adelaide is a model they want to emulate in other markets, that the location, and support of the public, and support of the various levels of government, has gotten right behind the event such that it is a major part of their calendar, not just another round of a series.

The atmosphere in Adelaide during race week is awesome. Its as good as it was when the F1 was in town. Locals seem genuinely proud of bringing the big bangers to their town, and most of the media coverage of the race sits on the positive side of the ledger.

How do V8SA emulate this in NZ?

I can recall the crowds of the Nissan Mobil series in both Wellington and Auckland, as street races, dragging crowds from everywhere to watch a load of local Kiwis, some imports from Australia, and some faraway names from Europe... in a vast array of different cars...

The perfect solution... dual street race weekends, one in Wellington, one in Auckland... 500km, 250km on each of Saturday and Sunday...

Can this be done again? Well safety standards have come a long way, so the infrastructure investment will be significant in one or t'other (or both!) these possible venues.

But the key is Mr Key.

In a country in such dire straits economically, it is the 'hero' events that get people behind a national spirit. To a man the crowd in the stands clapped & cheered every lap Mr Van Gisbergen was in front at Hamilton this year... as they did for Mr Murphy at Pukekohe previously. Galvanised behind 'their' stars in cars...

It would be unlikely that V8SA left the Hamilton round without a viable alternative in mind, in planning, or almost agreed.

Hopefully without the negativity that has bounced around Hamilton since its inception, from the media, from the council, and all the other naysayers.
“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House, House
“Trust But Verify” - Commissioner Frank Reagan, Blue Bloods
Old 3 Oct 2011, 03:33 (Ref:2964579)   #67
Mr Revhead
Veteran

New Zealand
New Zealand
No, I don't.
Take a look around in town after the local club has played the next towns club.
Take a look at any local clubs after party.
The culture in NZ is bred around rugby and drinking beer.
Old 3 Oct 2011, 03:36 (Ref:2964581)   #68
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
No, I don't.
So lets get the Team Kiwi Racing spirit back, with an appropriate brand custodian, with a Kiwi driver, and a Kiwi beer company sponsor... to keep this impetus humming....!
Old 3 Oct 2011, 03:36 (Ref:2964582)   #69
promax
Veteran

New Zealand
New Zealand
Quote:
No, I don't.

you make a wet afternoon amusing
Old 3 Oct 2011, 03:37 (Ref:2964583)   #70
Mr Revhead
Veteran

New Zealand
New Zealand
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTRMagic View Post
There has been a lot of chat about what might represent a suitable venue in NZ. Mr Murphy has stated the obvious, that the NZ event (why is there only one?) needs to be near a major population centre, to embrace the event across a wider cross section of the population.

V8SA has always shouted from the rooftops that the Clipsal 500 weekend in Adelaide is a model they want to emulate in other markets, that the location, and support of the public, and support of the various levels of government, has gotten right behind the event such that it is a major part of their calendar, not just another round of a series.

The atmosphere in Adelaide during race week is awesome. Its as good as it was when the F1 was in town. Locals seem genuinely proud of bringing the big bangers to their town, and most of the media coverage of the race sits on the positive side of the ledger.

How do V8SA emulate this in NZ?

I can recall the crowds of the Nissan Mobil series in both Wellington and Auckland, as street races, dragging crowds from everywhere to watch a load of local Kiwis, some imports from Australia, and some faraway names from Europe... in a vast array of different cars...

The perfect solution... dual street race weekends, one in Wellington, one in Auckland... 500km, 250km on each of Saturday and Sunday...

Can this be done again? Well safety standards have come a long way, so the infrastructure investment will be significant in one or t'other (or both!) these possible venues.

But the key is Mr Key.

In a country in such dire straits economically, it is the 'hero' events that get people behind a national spirit. To a man the crowd in the stands clapped & cheered every lap Mr Van Gisbergen was in front at Hamilton this year... as they did for Mr Murphy at Pukekohe previously. Galvanised behind 'their' stars in cars...

It would be unlikely that V8SA left the Hamilton round without a viable alternative in mind, in planning, or almost agreed.

Hopefully without the negativity that has bounced around Hamilton since its inception, from the media, from the council, and all the other naysayers.
Welly cannot happen again.
the reason their last bid died so fast is because of the development around the old track area they would need ot move the track north. That takes it into a different zone for resource consent and there is just no way they will get it.
Auckland (yeah right) and Chch are the only likely Cities.
Old 3 Oct 2011, 03:39 (Ref:2964584)   #71
promax
Veteran

New Zealand
New Zealand
Quote:
So lets get the Team Kiwi Racing spirit back, with an appropriate brand custodian, with a Kiwi driver, and a Kiwi beer company sponsor... to keep this impetus humming....!
you want us to tell people a bunch of lies and take their money?
Old 3 Oct 2011, 03:40 (Ref:2964585)   #72
Mr Revhead
Veteran

New Zealand
New Zealand
Quote:
Originally Posted by promax View Post

you make a wet afternoon amusing
As amusing as main st NZ after a local rugby game?
Mate I grew up surrounded by it. I worked the door of a bar in a town that had to ban the local clubs colours from being worn out on a Saturday night because of the clubs causing the violence. 20 person brawls in the middle of the road...

But of course NZs religion rugby can never cause any harm can it
Old 3 Oct 2011, 03:41 (Ref:2964586)   #73
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
Quote:
Welly cannot happen again.
the reason their last bid died so fast is because of the development around the old track area they would need ot move the track north. That takes it into a different zone for resource consent and there is just no way they will get it.
Auckland (yeah right) and Chch are the only likely Cities.
So, what's wrong with using Christchurch as a venue?

Showcase to the world that the difficulties and sadness of recent times has departed, and the motorsport beamed across the world can help demonstrate that those guys are still there, pitching

The Japanese ran MotoGP at Motegi yesterday, waving the flag at the world that they are still around... despite devastation and loss of life and property of a similar type.

Anything is possible with the appropriate level of entrepreneurial vision!
Old 3 Oct 2011, 03:41 (Ref:2964587)   #74
promax
Veteran

New Zealand
New Zealand
LOL @ Rev
Old 3 Oct 2011, 03:46 (Ref:2964589)   #75
Mr Revhead
Veteran

New Zealand
New Zealand
Quote:
So, what's wrong with using Christchurch as a venue?
Are you asking me? Nothing at all, in fact as NZs 2nd largest city it makes sense really. There is also the chance to redesign the CBD to make an excellent track