Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > ACO Regulated Series

Old 6 Sep 2016, 23:28 (Ref:3670634)   #501
Jam3s
Racer

Jam3s should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coach Ep View Post
I remember TDS Thiriet in ELMS having lots of issues with their brakes on their then new Ligier in 2014 (?) - so much, they traded that car for a new Oreca after only a partial season. Was Brembo the brake supplier then as well?
Yeah and if I'm not mistaken, a few current Ligier teams have switched to AP (carbon industry discs I think) due to issues with the Brembos.

Seems strange that select Oreca teams appear to be having many more issues than others though, I don't recall any ELMS teams having issues with the brakes yet. It's not like there's any trick to their installation or maintenance.
Old 7 Sep 2016, 04:53 (Ref:3670680)   #502
TF110
Veteran

United States
TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!
Audi had brake issues as well, and what do they run? Brembo. I'm not sure if it was the brakes themselves or if it was an electric issue in the braking system.
Old 7 Sep 2016, 05:11 (Ref:3670682)   #503
Jam3s
Racer

Isn't indycar changing away from Brembo due to QC issues? I get the sense that although there's clearly issues, when they are working they work better than the competitors which is why teams seem reluctant to change.

Losing a race due to their failure such as G-drive over the weekend won't go down well though.
Old 7 Sep 2016, 07:21 (Ref:3670692)   #504
chernaudi
Veteran

United States
Mansfield, Ohio
chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!
Who else uses Brembo? Porsche, who had no issues at Mexico. The Audi issues, as Audi Sport explained it, was with the electronic brake bias adjuster/brake by wire, as in the same thing that Toyota has used since 2014 that Audi and Porsche initially tried to make illegal in 2014 at LM until the ACO said they could also use it. Granted, Audi had front brake problems with the #8 at LM (and changed front rotors on the #7 as a precaution) and the #8 also lost Bahrain because a brake disc exploded.

Besides, when you consider that all the LMP1 factory teams pay Michelin for tires made to their specs, it makes sense that they pay whoever supplies their brake parts that they're built to their specs. LMP2 teams use whatever that Brembo, AP, Hitco or Carbone Industries have off the shelf probably on account of the cost cap rules.

Also, most GTE teams use Brembo calipers at least. But then again, GTE rules mandate steel brake discs, not carbon disks.

We also have to remember that because a team uses Brembo calipers, they might not necessarily be using their discs.

Last edited by chernaudi; 7 Sep 2016 at 07:30.
Old 8 Sep 2016, 00:54 (Ref:3670866)   #505
TF110
Veteran

United States
TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!
Doesn't mean that brembo can't get it wrong on Audi too. You just pointed out that they had failures with them before. Seems like you're trying to dispute my point but make the same point...? Lmp isn't the only series with brembo issues, F1 teams went through it as well.
Old 8 Sep 2016, 01:25 (Ref:3670869)   #506
chernaudi
Veteran

United States
Mansfield, Ohio
chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!
I'm tired of arguing my points. I've really lost interest in racing in general the past couple of years, anyways.
Old 8 Sep 2016, 02:10 (Ref:3670879)   #507
Articus
Veteran

Articus should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridArticus should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridArticus should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by TF110 View Post
Audi had brake issues as well, and what do they run? Brembo. I'm not sure if it was the brakes themselves or if it was an electric issue in the braking system.
What's the point of this initial statement? The comment in general is pretty wishy-washy in being accusatory and clueless all at once. Its look as though you are accusing brembo of doing something wrong without really having any facts that would point to that. Then suggesting that you don't have any facts. So why comment?
Old 8 Sep 2016, 02:15 (Ref:3670880)   #508
broadrun96
Veteran

United States
broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Think Lewis has switched between Brembo and Carbon Industries before I think settling on the balance of CI earlier this season or late last but think more than a few others have swapped within race weekends trying to get the right brakes. Indycar is moving to Performance Friction and it sounded like drivers were much happier with a better temperature control on the new PFC brakes. Brembos apparently cooled and turned to concrete with any pit stop, and complaints about inconsistency between discs and finding a balanced set for the car. And PFC's are apparently much more durable.
Old 8 Sep 2016, 02:31 (Ref:3670883)   #509
TF110
Veteran

United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by Articus View Post
What's the point of this initial statement? The comment in general is pretty wishy-washy in being accusatory and clueless all at once. Its look as though you are accusing brembo of doing something wrong without really having any facts that would point to that. Then suggesting that you don't have any facts. So why comment?
Why are you asking that? I made a suggestion that the issues Audi had with the brakes could be related to brembo. And there's a precedent set with their pads on lmp's. You are talking about "facts" right? Even if that wasn't fact, since when is speculation wrong? Brembo had issues with the brakes on lmp2 cars the same weekend and in the past on lmp1's. I didn't say the brakes failed because brembo but suggested that could be the case. Lighten up friend
Old 8 Sep 2016, 02:34 (Ref:3670884)   #510
chernaudi
Veteran

United States
Mansfield, Ohio
Besides, Audi said that the problem in Mexico was with the automated brake bias adjuster in the brake by wire system. If it was like the other issues in Mexico, Audi probably would've DNF'd when Lotterer had his problems, though the issue did hurt the car's performance the rest of the race.

Granted, I do think that even Audi and Porsche might ditch Brembo or whoever is supplying their brake rotors for another supplier at this rate.
Old 8 Sep 2016, 23:52 (Ref:3671128)   #511
Jam3s
Racer

More fuel to the Brembo fire:

Quote:
Manor will continue with a single Oreca 05 Nissan in next weekend’s Six Hours of Circuit of The Americas, resulting in a 31-car entry for the the sixth round of the FIA World Endurance Championship.

It’s understood recent mechanical issues, linked to the brake supplier of the Oreca LMP2 cars, have been among the reasons for the team’s reduced effort.
http://sportscar365.com/lemans/wec/m...e-car-at-cota/

Though their major internal issues are probably the more likely reason.