Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 7 Apr 2017, 16:26 (Ref:3724381)   #26
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Exactly where I need to be.
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by chillibowl View Post
im not knowledgeable about copters but it seems to me that a medical helicopter should be designed to operate in extreme weather...we have them here servicing rural communities and they go out in extreme wind conditions, blizzards, -40c all the time.
There's a difference between a medical crew choosing to go out and assist once someone is in need of support, and deliberately taking the risk of needing a helicopter in adverse conditions.

The individuals being served by the helicopters you are referring to, probably didn't factor in the need for medical cover when they started whatever activity led to the need.

Why compound the risk of an accident on the track, on top of the risk of an accident for the medical helicopter supporting them?
Old 7 Apr 2017, 16:37 (Ref:3724382)   #27
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by crmalcolm View Post
There's a difference between a medical crew choosing to go out and assist once someone is in need of support, and deliberately taking the risk of needing a helicopter in adverse conditions.

The individuals being served by the helicopters you are referring to, probably didn't factor in the need for medical cover when they started whatever activity led to the need.

Why compound the risk of an accident on the track, on top of the risk of an accident for the medical helicopter supporting them?
you make a fair point, but im wondering if the risk cannot be better mitigated in the future with better equipment/crew?
Old 7 Apr 2017, 18:09 (Ref:3724417)   #28
Mike Harte
Veteran

United Kingdom
W. Yorkshire
Mike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Regardless of who supplies the medivac helicopter, it's pilots have to abide by local aviation rules and laws. What may be permitted in Canada may not be allowed in other countries.

And whilst racing drivers may accept uncertain risks to satisfy their passion for motor racing, there is an oft repeated saying amongst the flying community: “There are old pilots, and there are bold pilots, but there are no old, bold pilots.”. High calibre pilots will never take unnecessary risks, and if that means keeping the craft on the ground, so be it.
Old 7 Apr 2017, 19:28 (Ref:3724436)   #29
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Harte View Post
Regardless of who supplies the medivac helicopter, it's pilots have to abide by local aviation rules and laws. What may be permitted in Canada may not be allowed in other countries.

And whilst racing drivers may accept uncertain risks to satisfy their passion for motor racing, there is an oft repeated saying amongst the flying community: “There are old pilots, and there are bold pilots, but there are no old, bold pilots.”. High calibre pilots will never take unnecessary risks, and if that means keeping the craft on the ground, so be it.
And ask any pilot of Med-Evac aircraft (off the record) and they will tell you that they will push the boundaries themselves at times when they know a life is in danger, but they would much rather that the people didn't put their lives in danger in the first place.

F1 may have the financial revenue to fund advances in aviation safety to allow helicopters to operate in increasingly adverse conditions - but it is much cheaper to avoid the risk than to mitigate it.
Old 7 Apr 2017, 19:36 (Ref:3724438)   #30
Armco Bender
Llama Assassin and Sheep Botherer
Veteran

New Zealand
International Sheep Ambassador
Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!
Its all sorted a new helicopter is being rushed to the circuit.....https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XfRJZHA03qs&t=323s
Old 7 Apr 2017, 19:52 (Ref:3724442)   #31
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Quote:
Originally Posted by Armco Bender View Post
Its all sorted a new helicopter is being rushed to the circuit.....https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XfRJZHA03qs&t=323s
I think I'll walk thanks.....
Old 7 Apr 2017, 19:53 (Ref:3724443)   #32
Mike Harte
Veteran

United Kingdom
W. Yorkshire
Mike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by crmalcolm View Post
And ask any pilot of Med-Evac aircraft (off the record) and they will tell you that they will push the boundaries themselves at times when they know a life is in danger, but they would much rather that the people didn't put their lives in danger in the first place.

F1 may have the financial revenue to fund advances in aviation safety to allow helicopters to operate in increasingly adverse conditions - but it is much cheaper to avoid the risk than to mitigate it.
And unfortunately, pilots pushing the boundaries too often end tragically. For example, the helicopter pilot who, against advice not to fly because of the poor visibility, took off from Kent to fly to Luton to pick up a client, but was forced to cut short the journey. Due to the worsening conditions he attempted to land at Battersea Heliport, but collided with a tower crane on his approach which he didn't see.
Old 7 Apr 2017, 20:14 (Ref:3724447)   #33
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Helicopters are grounded all the time due to fog. Its kinda hard to land if you cannot see the helideck. The oil and has industry doesn't ground helicopters on a weekly basis just for fun.
Old 8 Apr 2017, 00:39 (Ref:3724476)   #34
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Is this the new F1 movie?

Old 8 Apr 2017, 04:19 (Ref:3724512)   #35
F1Guy
Veteran

Antarctica
Driving dangerously
F1Guy User has been fined for unsportsmanlike behaviour!
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjohnsonsmith View Post
Is this the new F1 movie?

Dragon: The Seb Vettee Story.
Old 8 Apr 2017, 04:39 (Ref:3724514)   #36
F1Guy
Veteran

Antarctica
Driving dangerously
F1Guy User has been fined for unsportsmanlike behaviour!
News from China pitlane suggests the emergency medical issues have apparently been solved. Race will go ahead tomorrow without the need for the medivac helicopter.

The FIA approved hospital is 38km's from the track. That hospital has the necessary equipment. This equipment has now been moved to the hospital that is only a 5min drive from the track. And a clear path by road to this hospital will be created later today. Problem solved.

The above is yet to be confirmed.
Old 8 Apr 2017, 12:10 (Ref:3724629)   #37
stripedcat
Veteran

stripedcat should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridstripedcat should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
There's a 90% chance of rain tomorrow. So, please no Mercedes safety car test session or "We can't race because there's too much rain" excuses.

I am looking forward to what the rainmasters Vettel and Hamilton can do. Also, maybe Verstappen can make his way up the field in the wet - like last year in Brazil?

Oh - and please no problems for the medical helicopter!
Old 8 Apr 2017, 13:06 (Ref:3724639)   #38
Mr Pink
Veteran

Sweden
Sweden
Mr Pink should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Casto View Post
That was hilarious. Right after that shot, those who were working on the Vettel banner were looking over the top and realized the problem and pulled up the extra "E". Then they cut to the Ferrari garage and showed Vettel in the car looking at his monitor. He clearly had a bit grin on his face under his balaclava. He then held up his fingers to make an "L" to indicate the missing letter.

Then a bit later they show fans in full driving suits and helmets dressed as the Stig, Alonso and Vettel. With another cut back to the garage with Alonso and Vettel grinning at what they see on the world feed. At least they are having fun while not on track!

Richard
On a related note, how "real" do you think the fan clubs who are present at the race are? I got a funny feeling during qualifying that they had been put there in order to make it look good..
Old 8 Apr 2017, 13:25 (Ref:3724646)   #39
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!
pretty real tbh - the fan/hero culture in china is strong in a similar way to japan, but it's a lot smaller. dunno what the ticket arrangements are at shanghai but fridays are often roaming days, where you can sit in any stand regardless of where your seat is for the rest of the weekend.
Old 8 Apr 2017, 13:58 (Ref:3724654)   #40
Mr Pink
Veteran

Sweden
Sweden
Quote:
Originally Posted by bella View Post
pretty real tbh - the fan/hero culture in china is strong in a similar way to japan, but it's a lot smaller. dunno what the ticket arrangements are at shanghai but fridays are often roaming days, where you can sit in any stand regardless of where your seat is for the rest of the weekend.
Happy to hear I was wrong on that one!
Old 8 Apr 2017, 14:12 (Ref:3724655)   #41
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!
not necessarily wrong, just saying there's a decent chance it's actually genuine but i hear ya on feeling it was a bit fake!
Old 8 Apr 2017, 16:15 (Ref:3724670)   #42
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
looks to be a very exciting order of cars on the grid tomorrow.

nice to see Stroll make Q3 plus a Renault, FI, and STR in the top ten as well, Sainz looking in from 11th, and with Max near the back we should see a nice charge through the field from him...i would expect to see a lot more overtakes.

and if it rains who knows how it will all shake out.

something to be said about a lack of practice running?
Old 8 Apr 2017, 16:19 (Ref:3724671)   #43
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by F1Guy View Post
Dragon: The Seb Vettee Story.
Old 8 Apr 2017, 16:31 (Ref:3724675)   #44
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Harte View Post
makes sense. thanks Mike.
Old 9 Apr 2017, 05:45 (Ref:3724915)   #45
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
It looks cold and wet there but no SC start, as the race hasn't been declared wet.
Old 9 Apr 2017, 06:06 (Ref:3724921)   #46
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
A very clean start but Vettee looked rather out of place on the grid.
Old 9 Apr 2017, 06:19 (Ref:3724924)   #47
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
Just after the VSC ended, because Stroll got punted off by Perez, Giovinazzi hits the pit wall, wrecking his car and bringing out the first FCY
Old 9 Apr 2017, 06:47 (Ref:3724929)   #48
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
A great move by Vettee, on Ricciardo.
Old 9 Apr 2017, 07:12 (Ref:3724938)   #49
Born Racer
Race Official
Veteran

Born Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Fantastic moves today, so many by Verstappen. Came from way back on Bottas just now. The Sainz and Alonso battle was good fun, as was Vettel on Ricciardo.
Old 9 Apr 2017, 07:41 (Ref:3724947)   #50
Mr Pink
Veteran

Sweden
Sweden
Man, Verstappen is not easy to like..