Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing

Old 28 Apr 2017, 21:05 (Ref:3729751)   #26
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
The worst thing about it being at COTA is the constant going on about how it shouldn't be at COTA.

More importantly it'll be fun to see these cars through those bends and another chance for them to stretch their legs.
Old 29 Apr 2017, 03:22 (Ref:3729826)   #27
jjvincent
Racer

jjvincent should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridjjvincent should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
There are good things about COTA.
1. Really close to the airport
2. 6th street in Austin
3. A bazillion places to eat and have a great meal.
4. Wild Bubbas Wild Game Grill (it's 2 minutes from the track and the Elk, Yak and Kangaroo burgers are excellent)
Old 29 Apr 2017, 12:47 (Ref:3729876)   #28
FLGTFAN
Racer

United States
Naples, Florida
FLGTFAN has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
The #1 good thing is that there aren't lines for anything.
Old 29 Apr 2017, 21:21 (Ref:3729954)   #29
DeezPutz
Racer

DeezPutz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridDeezPutz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by chernaudi View Post
Face it, fans don't like COTA, because of crappy management and scheduling, and road racing is a niche sport in the US. Unless one's a diehard sportscar fan, don't expect a lot of people to show up unless it's F1 or NASCAR. Which is the nature of motorsports in NA and most of the world, anyways outside of Le Mans for the road racing crowd.
I thought you weren't watching racing anymore.
Old 29 Apr 2017, 21:23 (Ref:3729955)   #30
DeezPutz
Racer

DeezPutz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridDeezPutz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by TF110 View Post
I'd like to see the wec run at Road America and Sebring, but it doesn't look like that's happening. I'm going to try to attend the COTA wec race this year because it could be the last in the U.S. Is there any other IMSA race worth attending in the summer months? I don't think COTA is the best track for these types of cars, but it's better than no race imo.
Road America is in business to make money not to lose it. WEC would draw less than the AMA weekend.
Old 1 May 2017, 00:05 (Ref:3730220)   #31
Rcz
Veteran

United States
Rcz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
As a track, is it bad? Probably not, it looks fun to drive to me with all of that elevation. It just has this stingma of being a F1 track.
Old 1 May 2017, 01:32 (Ref:3730228)   #32
joeb
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Baton Rouge, LA
joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rcz View Post
As a track, is it bad? Probably not, it looks fun to drive to me with all of that elevation. It just has this stingma of being a F1 track.
That is actually a very sensible question. I've never been myself, but I do enjoy the elevation changes too. It sounds like people who have been there aren't all that impressed, but maybe the drivers like it?
Old 1 May 2017, 02:17 (Ref:3730236)   #33
fieldodreams79
Veteran

United States
The Dirty South
fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
It has one profound elevation change followed by some decent high-speed esses, for high speed, high downforce cars. The rest is - blah. I'd think most drivers would prefer other tracks but I'm not a driver, unfortunately.

It was built for F1 so the stigma is warranted - everything else run there is an attempt to pay for F1. But that's not why I don't care for it.

I've approached the track with an open mind from it's opening, but I find very little appealing of the circuit, other than the aforementioned.

I'd like someone to post something positive about it other than it's in Texas and there will be race held there. Debbie Downer (me) is harping on a track I don't like in a race thread.

Bring on track time so I'll shut up.

Edit: I forgot the one positive mentioned already: short lines for the loo, expensive beverages and the autograph session.

Last edited by fieldodreams79; 1 May 2017 at 02:25.
Old 1 May 2017, 07:34 (Ref:3730275)   #34
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!
As a track, from the start line round to the hairpin is great. The 'stadium' sections just look like filler sections to pad out the lap length and have the circuit hook in on itself to get more stands around it.

The entire circuit suffers from the same issues as lot of modern circuits. No scenery and a car park with painted lines in it. It doesn't look or feel American (which is a plus point for every other American track - they all FEEL American, which is awesome). It feels generic and stamped out.

It isn't the worst track in the world, and it isn't even the worst track in America (viewing wise), but it's got a hard deal being compared to events like Sebring and Road Atlanta. I don't see why COTA is on the schedule when there's tracks like Mid Ohio that are more deserving.

Last edited by Akrapovic; 1 May 2017 at 07:41.
Old 1 May 2017, 11:59 (Ref:3730328)   #35
ATLFalconsFAN
Veteran

United States
Stockton, CA
ATLFalconsFAN is going for a new world record!ATLFalconsFAN is going for a new world record!ATLFalconsFAN is going for a new world record!ATLFalconsFAN is going for a new world record!ATLFalconsFAN is going for a new world record!ATLFalconsFAN is going for a new world record!ATLFalconsFAN is going for a new world record!
For the record, I have been a proponent for COTA and have sung its graces in previous threads. Now don't get me wrong, there are several tracks in the US that I would rather see WEC go to, Laguna, Road Atlanta, Sebring, Road America... But, the request seemed to be for someone to post some positive words about it.

Anyway, I've been every year for WEC. So I've gotten to know the place pretty well.

Just off the bat, here are a few things that COTA HAS that all of the previously mentioned tracks (again, preferred venues) do NOT have:

1. A very nice air conditioned area that is not limited to VIPs. Behind the main grandstand there is the Velocity Lounge which has rows and rows of televisions showing the race, a full bar, and a couple food options as well. Again, anyone with a ticket can get in out of the heat and enjoy that. And again, none of those other tracks have that.

2. Covered grandstands. The grandstands on the main straight are all covered. Again, none of the other tracks mentioned above can say that.

3. An airport (sorry, Sebring does not count as I don't think anyone of us has a private jet on standby) within a ten minute drive to the track. You can go to COTA and not even rent a car if you choose. It is very convenient.

4. Better food options that any of the other tracks mentioned. There is absolutely no arguing this point.

5. And duh, none of the other tracks has a freaking TOWER!!! And after you've gone up in that tower you'll wish that every track had one!

And it does have very interesting places to spectate from, the top of the hill at turn 1, under the bridge just before the esses.

And there you go, positive words.
Old 1 May 2017, 13:02 (Ref:3730343)   #36
fieldodreams79
Veteran

United States
The Dirty South
fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I'll admit the tower is pretty kickass. Other amenities of a brand new, modern circuit sound like they'd enhance the visit tremendously.

And I like good food.
Old 1 May 2017, 16:19 (Ref:3730390)   #37
Matt
Veteran

United States
Connecticut
Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akrapovic View Post
As a track, from the start line round to the hairpin is great. The 'stadium' sections just look like filler sections to pad out the lap length and have the circuit hook in on itself to get more stands around it.

The entire circuit suffers from the same issues as lot of modern circuits. No scenery and a car park with painted lines in it. It doesn't look or feel American (which is a plus point for every other American track - they all FEEL American, which is awesome). It feels generic and stamped out.

It isn't the worst track in the world, and it isn't even the worst track in America (viewing wise), but it's got a hard deal being compared to events like Sebring and Road Atlanta. I don't see why COTA is on the schedule when there's tracks like Mid Ohio that are more deserving.

Except I don't like Mid-Ohio.
Old 1 May 2017, 18:55 (Ref:3730417)   #38
TF110
Veteran

United States
TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!
I think there's too many unnecessary turns. They try to create overtaking points, but in the end they are just slowing down the cars.

Like Akrapovic said, the stadium section (turns 12-15) are not needed imo. Let the straight go to where turn 15 is and keep the grand plaza section. At least it's high speed. It looks like the stadium section is a smaller and slower version of the grand plaza. Just my opinion.
Old 1 May 2017, 19:28 (Ref:3730426)   #39
Coach Ep
Veteran

Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
I think there's too many unnecessary turns. They try to create overtaking points, but in the end they are just slowing down the cars.

Like Akrapovic said, the stadium section (turns 12-15) are not needed imo. Let the straight go to where turn 15 is and keep the grand plaza section. At least it's high speed. It looks like the stadium section is a smaller and slower version of the grand plaza. Just my opinion.
That would be a great (albeit costly) adjustment. But probably easier to realize than my wish to make T1 more high speed instead of the current tightening, slow and frankly rather crappy turn. Up the hill for a blind apex on a fast corner - does it get any better than that...?
Old 1 May 2017, 19:30 (Ref:3730427)   #40
Matt
Veteran

United States
Connecticut
Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coach Ep View Post
That would be a great (albeit costly) adjustment. But probably easier to realize than my wish to make T1 more high speed instead of the current tightening, slow and frankly rather crappy turn. Up the hill for a blind apex on a fast corner - does it get any better than that...?
Bank it.
Old 1 May 2017, 19:38 (Ref:3730428)   #41
Rcz
Veteran

United States
They could attach turn 12 to turn 19. Perhaps put a hight speed kink there
Old 1 May 2017, 19:39 (Ref:3730429)   #42
Matt
Veteran

United States
Connecticut
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rcz View Post
They could attach turn 12 to turn 19. Perhaps put a hight speed kink there
A well designed chicane complex(like Pukekohe's) would work too.
Old 1 May 2017, 23:26 (Ref:3730455)   #43
CyberMotor
Veteran

United States
CyberMotor has a real shot at the podium!CyberMotor has a real shot at the podium!CyberMotor has a real shot at the podium!CyberMotor has a real shot at the podium!
Driving up I-85 today from Destin to Atlanta and saw a Porsche team transporter headed west to COTA.
Old 2 May 2017, 01:40 (Ref:3730466)   #44
joeb
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Baton Rouge, LA
joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberMotor View Post
Driving up I-85 today from Destin to Atlanta and saw a Porsche team transporter headed west to COTA.
I always love seeing transporters in action!
Old 2 May 2017, 02:47 (Ref:3730472)   #45
TF110
Veteran

United States
TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coach Ep View Post
Here's a picture looking at the stadium section

The straight ends a little bit deeper than the edge of T15. But it looks like it could be connected with another tight turn like T1 that could meet the straight to T15 and it would be a really fast entry into that double apex.
Old 2 May 2017, 04:14 (Ref:3730474)   #46
andy_b
Veteran

Canada
Vancouver (I escaped from UK)
andy_b is going for a new world record!andy_b is going for a new world record!andy_b is going for a new world record!andy_b is going for a new world record!andy_b is going for a new world record!andy_b is going for a new world record!andy_b is going for a new world record!
Spotter Guide for WeatherTech, Continental and Porsche GT3 Cup Challenge USA up on www.spotterguides.com

The official guide for the Lamborghini Super Trofeo will be released later in the week.
Old 2 May 2017, 14:37 (Ref:3730571)   #47
Coach Ep
Veteran

Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
The straight ends a little bit deeper than the edge of T15. But it looks like it could be connected with another tight turn like T1 that could meet the straight to T15 and it would be a really fast entry into that double apex.
One tight turn is better than three but CotA already has too many of those anyway so I would put in a big balls fast sweeping one to create one hell of a corner to separate the boys from the men! Of course this would require creating sufficient runoff space including relocating all those grandstands which will drive up the price of the remodeling considerably.
Old 2 May 2017, 15:01 (Ref:3730576)   #48
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!
You know what would make COTA brilliant? Grass. Seriously, just stick a grass verge around the outside of the track. 10ft wide. Then make the run off area a proper tarmac stars and stripes design. That'd solve most of the complaints really. I still don't like the final stadium section, but it'd be better if there was grass there. Unlike every other track in America, it doesn't punish drivers mistakes or liberties. That'd solve it.
Old 2 May 2017, 15:15 (Ref:3730581)   #49
Rcz
Veteran

United States
Almost all of the tracks are getting rid of their grass where the fast turns are. Road American, Mosport, the Glen ect ect.

Except for VIR and Lime rock
Old 2 May 2017, 15:29 (Ref:3730584)   #50
fieldodreams79
Veteran

United States
The Dirty South
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akrapovic View Post
You know what would make COTA brilliant? Grass. Seriously, just stick a grass verge around the outside of the track. 10ft wide. Then make the run off area a proper tarmac stars and stripes design. That'd solve most of the complaints really. I still don't like the final stadium section, but it'd be better if there was grass there. Unlike every other track in America, it doesn't punish drivers mistakes or liberties. That'd solve it.
I guess that's really it with me; it's the kid that doesn't belong.

Grass and at least one tree would make it prettier, too. It's a modern, clean testament to how well man can build "things", something that most, if not all modern circuits seem to have. Many older circuits and Barber are incorporated into the surrounding landscape; this looks like was dropped out of the sky over top of the landscape.

Checking out the overhead views, I see an amphitheater, which I've not noticed before and is really cool, but doesn't help with anything on track.

Some rendering showing actual trees; guess they were axed during value engineering, not that they would help with anything on track.