Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 1 Mar 2018, 12:24 (Ref:3804891)   #26
Mike Harte
Veteran

United Kingdom
W. Yorkshire
Mike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by pole2pole View Post
That’s a lot of money. Does anybody know how many subscribers Sky F1 in the UK has?
I don't know if Sky publish the number of subscribers for their F1 platform, but their audience number peaked at the Mexican GP last year at 1.09 million. However, that audience was still only about a third of the total between Channel 4 and themselves.
Old 1 Mar 2018, 12:43 (Ref:3804897)   #27
pole2pole
Veteran

Northern Ireland
Belfast
pole2pole should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Harte View Post
I don't know if Sky publish the number of subscribers for their F1 platform, but their audience number peaked at the Mexican GP last year at 1.09 million. However, that audience was still only about a third of the total between Channel 4 and themselves.
Very interesting. I think that number would increase drastically if fans had access to a stand alone subscription service instead of having to sign a lengthy contract and buy a box with a list of channels that one has no interest in. I fear that sky has already got this signed up.
Old 1 Mar 2018, 12:58 (Ref:3804900)   #28
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!
not sure about anyone else but if it was available in the uk i'd be on it straight away, especially if it does indeed work out at the same price as a 7 day pass for nowtv. and i don't even watch f1 that much. i'd be happy to give my money straight to f1 but get very stroppy about giving it to sky purely on principle.
Old 1 Mar 2018, 13:32 (Ref:3804907)   #29
Moneyseeker
Veteran

Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Very interesting. I think that number would increase drastically if fans had access to a stand alone subscription service instead of having to sign a lengthy contract and buy a box with a list of channels that one has no interest in. I fear that sky has already got this signed up.
Yep, I think that if it comes to the UK it will be as an additional sub ontop of Sky TV coverage, as they paid for the exclusive live coverage rights.
Old 1 Mar 2018, 13:59 (Ref:3804913)   #30
Chaynes321
Veteran

England
London
Chaynes321 has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
His commentary on last years F2 races was absolutely brilliant. 👌👍
I hope your joking, he is the reason I don't watch it, headache inducing
Old 1 Mar 2018, 16:09 (Ref:3804939)   #31
pole2pole
Veteran

Northern Ireland
Belfast
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaynes321 View Post
I hope your joking, he is the reason I don't watch it, headache inducing
Really? I thought he was a laugh. Pity he wasn’t commentating on last seasons F1, it might of made it slightly more interesting. I reckon there is a fair chance DC and Brundle could be the com team in this new F1 channel.
Old 1 Mar 2018, 16:10 (Ref:3804940)   #32
ScotsBrutesFan
Race Official
Veteran

Scotland
West Lothian
ScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by bella View Post
i for one would campaign heavily for davide valsecchi in the english language markets.
He is very excitable even when nothing much is going on. Not sure whether that's because he's having to translate into what is pretty good English, in his head before he says it, or whether he is equally excitable when doing the F1 coverage for Sky Italia
Old 1 Mar 2018, 16:13 (Ref:3804942)   #33
ScotsBrutesFan
Race Official
Veteran

Scotland
West Lothian
ScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Really? I thought he was a laugh. Pity he wasn’t commentating on last seasons F1, it might of made it slightly more interesting. I reckon there is a fair chance DC and Brundle could be the com team in this new F1 channel.
Brundle had his shot at being the main commentator and back out to the second seat again. I believe that he's also in "golden handcuffs" with Sky. I could perhaps see DC join Sky once the Channel 4 contract expires, as one of their rotating group of former drivers and champions.
Old 1 Mar 2018, 16:19 (Ref:3804944)   #34
Moneyseeker
Veteran

Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!
You would imagine that over time it will impact on their TV rights revenues as no TV company is going to pay top dollar for F1 when they are showing it themselves. so I suppose it will end up with an equation, but of course Liberty will ultimately be able to cut TV companies out of the loop and then not be reliant on them deciding not to buy TV rights in the future.
Old 1 Mar 2018, 17:31 (Ref:3804962)   #35
pole2pole
Veteran

Northern Ireland
Belfast
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moneyseeker View Post
You would imagine that over time it will impact on their TV rights revenues as no TV company is going to pay top dollar for F1 when they are showing it themselves. so I suppose it will end up with an equation, but of course Liberty will ultimately be able to cut TV companies out of the loop and then not be reliant on them deciding not to buy TV rights in the future.
I wonder what Liberty Media’s long term plans are for their F1 channel. Could they throw other race series into the channel and make it the goto place for motor sport. As far as iam aware, Liberty Media own the television rights to Formula E. They could drop that into their channel package. Instead of the two series becoming rivals in the future, put them together in the same media package. As we all know, one of the main problems with motor sport is it’s used to sell contracts for networks. In an ideal world all motorsport should be available in one place.
Old 1 Mar 2018, 18:30 (Ref:3804981)   #36
Mike Harte
Veteran

United Kingdom
W. Yorkshire
Mike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
It is a conundrum for Liberty because Mr E sold the UK broadcasting rights to Sky before Liberty bought FOM, and on a contract that lasts through 2024. They are now in the position that their own cable company in the UK, Virgin Media, has to pay Sky for access to a product that their parent company actually owns, and, if things haven't changed in the last few years, they also produce at each circuit (the production facilities built into transportable containers were called Baker's Village, named after the guy who ran the production team on behalf of FOM).

And, after this year, Sky has the sole broadcasting right for live action over the weekends, apart from Silverstone which will have to be made available for a FTA broadcaster if one wants to pay for the concession.
Old 1 Mar 2018, 19:32 (Ref:3804997)   #37
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScotsBrutesFan View Post
He is very excitable even when nothing much is going on. Not sure whether that's because he's having to translate into what is pretty good English, in his head before he says it, or whether he is equally excitable when doing the F1 coverage for Sky Italia
i think it's just who he is. it's awesome, all these dry boring commentators who are too hellbent on seeing what we can see already. a good bit of excitement is exactly whats needed, and he knows his stuff too.
Old 1 Mar 2018, 20:01 (Ref:3805004)   #38
pole2pole
Veteran

Northern Ireland
Belfast
Quote:
i think it's just who he is. it's awesome, all these dry boring commentators who are too hellbent on seeing what we can see already. a good bit of excitement is exactly whats needed, and he knows his stuff too.
It’s the guys passion that is such a pleasure to listen to and at the same time can educate the viewer in an entertaining way. Another commentator that springs to mind is ex driver now nascar commentator Darrell Waltrip. Great informative commentator and comes off with some crackers. Last weekend he said when driving, there was weekends that he was on it from start to finish and other weekends he was so lost that google couldn’t find him!!! He also calls four new tyres as 4 Mr feelgoods.
Old 2 Mar 2018, 03:54 (Ref:3805100)   #39
E.B
Veteran

United Kingdom
About 7kms East of Albert Park Melbourne
E.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
It’s the guys passion that is such a pleasure to listen to and at the same time can educate the viewer in an entertaining way. Another commentator that springs to mind is ex driver now nascar commentator Darrell Waltrip. Great informative commentator and comes off with some crackers. Last weekend he said when driving, there was weekends that he was on it from start to finish and other weekends he was so lost that google couldn’t find him!!! He also calls four new tyres as 4 Mr feelgoods.
Agree re Waltrip. I dont watch NASCAR but I knew of Waltrip and found his angle on the Bathurst 1000 brilliant. Here is his in car commentary lap and post lap interview. Gold. Im sure it worked in the US where they may not have known the Bathurst race that well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kLkLtBkUVuo
Old 2 Mar 2018, 07:51 (Ref:3805133)   #40
pole2pole
Veteran

Northern Ireland
Belfast
Quote:
Originally Posted by E.B View Post
Agree re Waltrip. I dont watch NASCAR but I knew of Waltrip and found his angle on the Bathurst 1000 brilliant. Here is his in car commentary lap and post lap interview. Gold. Im sure it worked in the US where they may not have known the Bathurst race that well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kLkLtBkUVuo
A shining example of Darrell Waltrip at his best. That was absolutely brilliant to watch and listen. What an event, what a race and what a race series. Superb. 👌
Old 2 Mar 2018, 15:05 (Ref:3805254)   #41
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
according to this site, looks like SKY has responded to the F1 TV service with a price drop.

https://www.racefans.net/2018/03/02/...hannel-stream/

this site also has a list of the 40 countries where the new service will be available on launch.

https://www.racefans.net/2018/02/28/...ble-confirmed/

sadly Canada is not on the list.
Old 2 Mar 2018, 15:30 (Ref:3805261)   #42
Mike Harte
Veteran

United Kingdom
W. Yorkshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by chillibowl View Post
according to this site, looks like SKY has responded to the F1 TV service with a price drop.

https://www.racefans.net/2018/03/02/...hannel-stream/

The article is somewhat disingenuous in that it doesn't give the whole picture.

Sky actually dropped (considerably) the cost for purchasing the F1 Channel if you also had the basic TV package. It is £22.00 per month for the basic plus £18.00 for the F1, although that is for a minimum 12 month contract.

It's still a lot of money, but if you are a Sky subscriber (and there are a few million of them in the UK), then you don't need to purchase a Now TV gadget for however much.
Old 3 Mar 2018, 22:37 (Ref:3805545)   #43
F1Guy
Veteran

Antarctica
Driving dangerously
F1Guy User has been fined for unsportsmanlike behaviour!
A bit more info on this...

https://www.formula1.com/en/latest/h...n-service.html
Old 7 Mar 2018, 12:40 (Ref:3806594)   #44
pole2pole
Veteran

Northern Ireland
Belfast
I remember a lot of years ago a service provided by Sky called F1 Digital + It provided the various feeds including on track onboard (all cars) replay channel and time screen. What was brilliant about this was when I watched the replay of qualifying or race, I still had access to all the interactive feeds. I wonder will this new service provide the same because like many of you, dew to time zones or family or work commitments I rarely watch the F1 races live. That’s providing we get this new service in the UK.
Old 7 Mar 2018, 12:43 (Ref:3806599)   #45
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
And don’t forget the BBC had their own onboard channel too
Old 7 Mar 2018, 13:46 (Ref:3806615)   #46
pole2pole
Veteran

Northern Ireland
Belfast
Quote:
Originally Posted by S griffin View Post
And don’t forget the BBC had their own onboard channel too
Yes the good old red button. It made paying the tv licence not as painful!!
Old 20 Mar 2018, 11:52 (Ref:3809353)   #47
Mike Harte
Veteran

United Kingdom
W. Yorkshire
The way that Sky are advertising the F1 channel, certainly on commercial radio in the UK, I am guessing, even though they have separated the channel from the sports bundle, that the take up hasn't been that great.

At a price of £22.00 plus £18.00 per month for a minimum 18 month contract is not cheap. Especially as most of the programmes that form part of the £22.00 bit of the package is FTA, it's certainly not a bargain. And it's possibly too late to get the installation (there's a charge for that as well) to "enjoy" the Australian GP.
Old 20 Mar 2018, 12:31 (Ref:3809361)   #48
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
it looks like a huge dinosaur alongside the idea of a £10 a month streaming subscription a la netflix and amazon, doesn’t it?
Old 20 Mar 2018, 14:13 (Ref:3809377)   #49
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
One of the commentators is Will Buxton.
Old 20 Mar 2018, 15:38 (Ref:3809399)   #50
Mike Harte
Veteran

United Kingdom
W. Yorkshire
Quote:
it looks like a huge dinosaur alongside the idea of a £10 a month streaming subscription a la netflix and amazon, doesn’t it?
It certainly does, Bella.