Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 15 Nov 2004, 12:03 (Ref:1153880)   #1
Speedy norm
Racer

Speedy norm should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Aintree festival

The Aintree festival is upon us and despite doubts that it would take place I am pleased to say it is. All credit to those who have made it happen.
I will be there as I used to marshall there on the Tuesday evening sessions in the late seventies. Any one else going and want to meet up?
I will just be there for the Friday.
Old 17 Nov 2004, 10:21 (Ref:1155781)   #2
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Hope it goes well.
Old 17 Nov 2004, 11:19 (Ref:1155820)   #3
mcurtis26
Veteran

mcurtis26 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I was quite surprised by the ticket price, 23 pound seems quite excessive compared to entry fees for the Gold Cup.
Old 17 Nov 2004, 11:53 (Ref:1155849)   #4
Speedy norm
Racer

Yep you are not the only one. 23 Quid at first does seem dear as it wil only be demonstration laps but the entry is quite impressive with a huge array of cars of the period. Plus an F1 Tyrell - don't see the connection but I am not complaining.
Its an ambitious event and worthy of support - it may never grow to rival Goodwood but anything like this in the North of the country is worthy of attention
Old 18 Nov 2004, 08:00 (Ref:1156747)   #5
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!
I'm hoping it'll be a success, we're going, and taking the car, just treating it as a mini holiday really, one thing to remember is that the first Goodwood revival was a 'high speed demonstration' do you really think everyones going to tootle round at 30 mph ?
Old 18 Nov 2004, 10:31 (Ref:1156896)   #6
David McKinney
Veteran

David McKinney should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by zefarelly
one thing to remember is that the first Goodwood revival was a 'high speed demonstration'
Really?
Old 19 Nov 2004, 22:11 (Ref:1158731)   #7
Speedy norm
Racer

Just back from Aintree and as far as I am concerned a huge success. A poor turnout from the public however and I doubt if enough publicity was given. From my perspective the sight of cars running around the GP track was almost surreal. A lot of work to do to but something here to build on.
A big thank you to all concerned
Old 19 Nov 2004, 22:21 (Ref:1158741)   #8
jim69
Racer

jim69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I was there too. I was at the end of the railway straight. It was great to see such a cross section of cars, it appeared to me that everybody was having a lot of fun, the drivers were waving and smiling, even when we slowed them down.
I hope this bcomes an annual event.
Old 21 Nov 2004, 19:40 (Ref:1160145)   #9
carrera
Veteran

England
Gatwick
carrera should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
There was a little bit on the telly this afternoon.
Old 22 Nov 2004, 11:53 (Ref:1160721)   #10
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!
we had a good weekend, despite breaking a rocker on Friday ( we found some in a local repair garage and managed a temporary repair) and the cold wet weather

half the track is like rally cross, but it was fun, I doubt that it'll ever take off like Goodwood as the horses take priority, a fact that we where all made too well aware of at the brief on Friday morning. the two don't mix. If the track was resurfaced it would be fantastic to drive enthusiastically however.

It seemed to us that advertising was poor locally and the entrance fee was way too high, hence the poor turn out, we had a great night on Saturday however thanks to Top Hat and the main organisation
Old 23 Nov 2004, 19:05 (Ref:1161994)   #11
jim69
Racer

jim69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
If the circuit was reserfaced in the bad bits would more people come to the event?
What would attract more cars?
Old 23 Nov 2004, 19:50 (Ref:1162039)   #12
Speedy norm
Racer

I think the turnout among competiters was excelent given that the event was in doubt right up to he last minute. The entrance fee certainly requires review.
The Jockey club and the trustees of the circuit are only interested in one type of horsepower and it aint ours. Its been said that if a Lord March or Tom Wheatcroft came along it would be fine. I beg to differ the Jockey club is the main obstacle and I think what we saw on Friday may be a one off. I hope I am wrong
Old 24 Nov 2004, 09:19 (Ref:1162563)   #13
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
the hospitality for entrants was bloody appalling, its was freezing cold and when we went into the tent we where told we couldnt have a cup of coffee unless we had food, they had no food so they took the coffee away, as with most places if you go to the caravans you get charged rediculous amounts for warm dishwater, from what Ive subsequently heard the organisers where wearing blinkers and rose tinted glasses throughout. racing will never happen there IMHO, I'm glad there where so many freindly competitors there to help keep spitits high.
Old 7 Dec 2004, 15:22 (Ref:1173523)   #14
Steve Wilkinson
Veteran

United Kingdom
Southport
Steve Wilkinson is a back marker
Aintree Festival future?

As I understand the situation the organisers would like a July or August date in 2005. This would resolve the freezing temperatures - well possibly! The issue of 'racing round the full circuit' is another thing. From my knowledge of the venue the major costs will be:

a) the two Melling Road crossings
b) the safety aspects of the first corner
c) the speed down Railway Straight

On the other hand there is the club circuit which would be a far easier to get up to the required standards. The club circuit has been used for many years for sprinting and currently hosts three sprints and two track days.

2005 Date:
23 April The Spring Sprint
28 May Track Day
25 June Summer Sprint
03 September National Sprint (Rd British Sprint Championship)
01 October Track Day

As a member of Liverpool Motor Club who run these events I can heartily recommend them especially the September Sprint which attracts the cream of British Sprinters.

Last edited by Steve Wilkinson; 7 Dec 2004 at 15:22.
Old 8 Dec 2004, 07:29 (Ref:1174096)   #15
simon drabble
Veteran

simon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I think it is unlikely to succeed. There is little chance of racing and the idea of drivers paying for a display in an already crowded racing calender has limited appeal. Sorry to pour cold water on this but it seems an interesting one off!
Old 9 Dec 2004, 12:47 (Ref:1175232)   #16
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
the weather was largely irrelevant, the whole event was billed as a historic festival therefore the original circuit is the one that would attract the competitors, and the crowds possibly.

the safety issues could be easily addressed, we do race at our own risk afterall! however no one would race on such a shoddy surface, If I'd known in advance I'd have borrowed my neighbours rally car !

Unfortunately I think Simons dead right, which is a shame as the horse racing (only 2 or 3 times a year) has facilities which could easily cater for everyone and without interuptions given the place is unused 300 days a year!
Old 9 Dec 2004, 15:23 (Ref:1175362)   #17
Steve Wilkinson
Veteran

United Kingdom
Southport
Racing at Aintree?

I wasn't able to attend the Aintree Festival and couldn't comment about how well it was or wasn't run. However I must point out that ZEFARELLY possibly missed the 9 Hole Golf Course in the middle of the club circuit - eyeballs bouncing about due to the poor surface no doubt! The Glf Course and Driving Range are used most days with proceedings being halted for the six Liverpool Motor Club Sprints/Track Days and the Horse Racing.

On the question of safty he is quiet right on both counts.
1) The place can be made safe - but at what cost?
2) The drivers do compete at their own risk, however the MSA are unlikely to issue a race license without some money being spent on either removing safety hazzards our at least slowing the cars down.

I for one would welcome more racing at Aintree after all it is only 20 minutes drive away however my view is that at present it is highly unlikely on the Grand Prix circuit but achieveable on the Club circuit. Again I think ZEFARELLY is right when he says the drivers want to race round the Grand Prix track however if the Club circuit can be brought into use then that would be better than nothing.

Last edited by Steve Wilkinson; 9 Dec 2004 at 15:25.
Old 9 Dec 2004, 15:41 (Ref:1175369)   #18
Dave Brand
Veteran

England
Hadfield, Derbyshire (UK)
Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Wilkinson
The Glf Course and Driving Range are used most days with proceedings being halted for the six Liverpool Motor Club Sprints/Track Days and the Horse Racing.

..and the motorcycle racing!
Old 9 Dec 2004, 15:57 (Ref:1175381)   #19
Steve Wilkinson
Veteran

United Kingdom
Southport
Oops!

Sorry about missing out the motorcycle racing! However I can be forgiven as the best thing to do with a bike engine is rip it out the bike and put it in a racing car!
Old 10 Dec 2004, 10:02 (Ref:1175978)   #20
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
I'd heard about the golf course, didnt see it though, as you say, eyes where wobbly!

simple safety measure would be removing steel posts from the ground, and bits of Beechers Brook from the racing line !!!

I agree that from a locals point of view more should be made of the place, but nationally its the GP circuit thats needed to gain any momentum

one things for sure, Lord March can sleep easy !