Has a woman ever won a Formula 1 race.

This is to settle an argument
Old 26 Oct 2005, 21:44 (Ref:1444507)   #2
Dani Filth
Race Official
Veteran

Romania
Bucharest
Dani Filth should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDani Filth should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDani Filth should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
no

Ciao Marco
Old 26 Oct 2005, 21:46 (Ref:1444510)   #3
We Love Osella
Racer

Andorra
We Love Osella should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'm not just talking GP's here. any Formula one race
Old 26 Oct 2005, 21:52 (Ref:1444515)   #4
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
John Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I think a woman won a British Aurora F1 race. May have been Lella Lombardi.
Old 26 Oct 2005, 22:10 (Ref:1444534)   #5
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
John Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
No, I correct myself, it was Desire Wilson, at Brands Hatch in 1980; the first woman to win an F1 race, and I think, so far, the only one.

However, Lella Lombardi actually had 12 starts in GPs with one points finish, so you could argue that her achievement was the greater.
Old 26 Oct 2005, 22:17 (Ref:1444542)   #6
We Love Osella
Racer

Andorra
We Love Osella should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Well Done John go to the top of the class. I knew that already but some people will not believe a woman when it comes to sport
Old 26 Oct 2005, 23:56 (Ref:1444608)   #7
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Argument settled ?
Old 27 Oct 2005, 09:53 (Ref:1444890)   #8
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
The Aurora field was pretty feeble really, not even up to the standard of domestic F2 championship of the day. Desiré's CV is quite impressive, and with different circusmtances she could have been a respectable F1 regular, but you can't really list her results alongside those of Senna and Prost.
Old 27 Oct 2005, 11:25 (Ref:1444956)   #9
Rob29
Veteran

United Kingdom
Lincolnshire,UK
Rob29 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridRob29 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by BootsOntheSide
The Aurora field was pretty feeble really, not even up to the standard of domestic F2 championship of the day. Desiré's CV is quite impressive, and with different circusmtances she could have been a respectable F1 regular, but you can't really list her results alongside those of Senna and Prost.
What domestic F2? The only one I recall was a subclass to the Aurora F1 races. Desire`did do a real F1 race,the 1981 S.African GP,and qualified mid-field.An article in recent issue of' 'Motor Sport' magazine reveals how she was shafted thereafter.Apparently no one wanted to sponsor a South African in those days of the racist regime.
Old 27 Oct 2005, 12:38 (Ref:1445035)   #10
Stephen Green
Race Official
Veteran

England
Faversham, Kent
Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!
One of the grandstands at Brands Hatch is named after her to make her achiement.
Old 27 Oct 2005, 17:54 (Ref:1445332)   #11
Nintendo
Racer

Ireland
Dublin
Nintendo has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Desire Wilson in 1980 i believe
Old 27 Oct 2005, 18:11 (Ref:1445343)   #12
davyboy
Veteran

davyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by BootsOntheSide
There were some pretty good drivers in the Aurora championship from time to time. Do you remember the epic battle between David Kennedy and Rupert Keegan. I think the finale was on World of Sport or Grandstand at the time [possibly even live]. Some great racing. The F2 class at the time was a sub-class of the championship. You may be thinking of Formula Atlantic, which for a while had several championships running in the British Isles.