Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 27 Oct 2005, 09:05 (Ref:1444860)   #26
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
NASCAR is all about the championship - people think finishing 18th at a race is marvellous as long as it keeps them in the hunt.

F1's championship is important - but so is each Grand Prix.

We mustn't dilute the intrinsic "value" of each race by having too many
Old 27 Oct 2005, 09:21 (Ref:1444873)   #27
davyboy
Veteran

davyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kicking-back
We mustn't dilute the intrinsic "value" of each race by having too many
The intrinsic value of each race is important, I agree. That intrinsic value is assessed in many ways and its clear that an event like the Italian GP at Monza would have far greater intrinsic value than say the Hungarian GP at Budapest. Streamlining the series to only include events with premium intrinsic value would make for a better championship. However having 20-24 strong events in my my mind does not in any way affect the intrinsic value of a race.
Old 27 Oct 2005, 09:31 (Ref:1444882)   #28
Ingsy
Racer

Ingsy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Which kind of brings the discussion round to one of my points in the original post: Which races would you be happy to see go?

Personally Hungary and Hockenheim spring immediately to mind, with Bahrain not far behind.
Old 27 Oct 2005, 10:30 (Ref:1444911)   #29
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
I'd agree with that, mind you Hungary used to provide the only guarnateed decent race of the season in late 80's early 90's!

Hockenheim needs to stay because it's good for overtaking, maybe lengthen it a bit.

I'm basically all for any circuit that prmotes overtaking and is longet than 3 miles and get rid of anything that is too short, is boring and doesn't promote 'racing' so in that case bye bye to Magny Cours, replace it with Ricard, Monaco (yeah i know, i know it'll never happen!!) Imola (either that or revamp it again) replace it with Mugello?

replace Indy with The glen (with suitable upgrades!) or Road Atlanta, or even a Long Beach.

Stick Aussie GP on Bathurst or Phillip Island instead of Melbourne?

Add Dubai, Qatar circuits (both big and sweeping),

Estoril is decent track as well (not quite long enough but promotes close racing)

I'll go away anf think of some other classic tracks that could replace venues currently on the calendar...
Old 27 Oct 2005, 10:35 (Ref:1444912)   #30
davyboy
Veteran

davyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Hungary should definitely go and possibly some of the more sterile Tilke circuits [I know that'll never happen]. Removing the back part of Hochenheim was the worst thing they could have done to the circuit... so ya... bin that too.

The greatest circuit in the world is missing off the F1 calendar - Road America at Elkhart Lake. Ditch Indy, improve the facilities and spectating in Wisconsin [but don't touch the track configuration] and relocate the US GP there... can you imagine F1 cars at Elkhart Lake, can you just... that place almost makes Spa look ordinary.
Old 27 Oct 2005, 10:43 (Ref:1444925)   #31
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
Good one Davyboy- i hadn't thought of that place!

Only track in the world on Spa level in terms of majesty i think you'll agree?
Old 27 Oct 2005, 11:30 (Ref:1444961)   #32
davyboy
Veteran

I watched a champcar race there a few years back, Christian Fittipaldi won it if my memory serves me right, and all I kept thinking is F1 should be here. Its an awesome place. You know what, I think its probably better than Spa. Don't get me wrong, I'm not dissing Spa, I think its unbelievably good, but I actually think Elkhart Lake goes one better.
Old 27 Oct 2005, 11:38 (Ref:1444967)   #33
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

You're not wrong - it certainly is a top circuit for spectators and drivers!

As for Argentina venue, why won'y they go back to autodromo Reutemann at Buenos Aires - it was quite a good layout and just needed to be bit longer?
Old 27 Oct 2005, 11:39 (Ref:1444970)   #34
Raglanparade
Veteran

Australia
Raglanparade should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
They could use the 1980 circuit around the lake ??

That would be awesome !!
Old 27 Oct 2005, 11:40 (Ref:1444971)   #35
davyboy
Veteran

The circuit length was the thing about Argentina. Eddie Irvine said that it was really a jumped up kart track. Take Hochenheim's old forest straights and attach them on and it'll sort the problem out.
Old 27 Oct 2005, 12:10 (Ref:1445002)   #36
safc_fan89
Veteran

safc_fan89 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridsafc_fan89 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by chunterer
You're not wrong - it certainly is a top circuit for spectators and drivers!

As for Argentina venue, why won'y they go back to autodromo Reutemann at Buenos Aires - it was quite a good layout and just needed to be bit longer?
The changes made to the Buenos Aires track made it look very similar to Hungary in terms of slow corners and a boring layout. I wouldn't like F1 to go back there unless the whole track layout was changed.
Old 27 Oct 2005, 13:44 (Ref:1445092)   #37
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

Yeah, i agree that it would need/ought to have plenty of revisions before holding another race - and the original track was a belter! The back straight at Shanghai reminds me of the long back straight on the original circuit a little bit!
Old 27 Oct 2005, 14:13 (Ref:1445122)   #38
Rob29
Veteran

United Kingdom
Lincolnshire,UK
Rob29 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridRob29 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Buenos Aires Autodrome has or had a dozen or so variations.At one time they were using 'Circuit No.15' !
Old 27 Oct 2005, 14:20 (Ref:1445131)   #39
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

Blimey!

Would also have been good to see Hermanos Rodriguez circuit in Mexico back on, but it's been emsculated i think. What a track that was!