Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Tributes Forum

Old 13 Dec 2010, 19:04 (Ref:2803987)   #51
Alan Raine
Veteran

England
Hale, Cheshire
Alan Raine should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAlan Raine should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAlan Raine should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAlan Raine should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Sad news.

He could rub a few people up the wrong way on occasions but he also did a lot of good for motor racing, although I wonder if the Arrows failure took more out of him than just his money?

I was at Zolder in 1982. Tom was on pole in the XJS. For some reason the grid was slow to line up and I could he was getting a bit aggravated. Even with the engines revving you could see him gesticulating to the starter to "f'ing get on with it" - he went on to win.

I also happened to be at Mosport Park, in 1985 for the debut of the Jag sports cars. He made sure everything was prepared to the highest standards, but I don't know how he managed to get this parked at the back of the pits

And in the pits was this

Old 13 Dec 2010, 19:39 (Ref:2804003)   #52
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
RIP, a sad day for motorsport.
Old 14 Dec 2010, 01:00 (Ref:2804147)   #53
Mekola
Veteran

Kiribati
Atlantis
Mekola should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMekola should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMekola should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
He could be remembered for great things specially the TWR Jaguars at Le Mans, he did as good as he can at Arrows... Nothing more to say.

Last edited by Mekola; 14 Dec 2010 at 01:06.
Old 14 Dec 2010, 06:25 (Ref:2804200)   #54
Andy77
Veteran

Andy77 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by old man View Post
A real racer if ever there was one, a big man with big ideas and big achievements with big cars. He was a fierce competitor at all levels, did he not race a F5000 with the Cologne V6 as well as all his Rover and Jag exploits? Started out as a Ford development engineer or am I mistaken?

RIP
Not completely sure, but I think he was chief engineer at Benetton Ford around 1994 for Schumachers first wdc title and was dropped to Ligier afterward
Old 14 Dec 2010, 09:39 (Ref:2804261)   #55
promax
Veteran

New Zealand
New Zealand
promax has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
PM [Content edited as not now required.]
RIP Tom

Last edited by Peter Mallett; 14 Dec 2010 at 09:54.
Old 14 Dec 2010, 10:10 (Ref:2804279)   #56
davyboy
Veteran

davyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by old man View Post
A real racer if ever there was one, a big man with big ideas and big achievements with big cars. He was a fierce competitor at all levels, did he not race a F5000 with the Cologne V6 as well as all his Rover and Jag exploits? Started out as a Ford development engineer or am I mistaken?

RIP
He drove a Modus M3 in Formula Atlantic in the UK in 1974. The car was badly damaged in an accident and rebuilt into a Modus 'M5' Formula 5000 for the 1975 season. The car was fitted with a 3.4 litre Ford GA engine, the same type of motor that was used in the Cologne Capris. This was a fairly unusual choice for F5000, the only other person I believe ran one was David Purley in the Chevron. The Modus gave Tom a lot of problems that year and having it crashed again, switched to another M5 before finishing the season in a March 752 that he bought second hand. He used the GA motor throughout and I think he may have been given it by Ford. I'm not sure whether he was a development engineer there or not.
Old 14 Dec 2010, 12:03 (Ref:2804317)   #57
old man
Veteran

England
UK
old man should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridold man should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridold man should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Thanks for confirming a memory davyboy, has this type of racer disappeared these days?
Old 15 Dec 2010, 05:52 (Ref:2804613)   #58
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
That is sad news. I was lucky enought to meet Tom Walkinshaw at Le Mans in 1986. RIP.
Old 15 Dec 2010, 11:26 (Ref:2804685)   #59
PascaLM
Race Official
Veteran

France
Near Blois, France
PascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
A real shock for Endurance and Le Mans fans.
Reposez en paix Monsieur Walkinshaw.
Old 15 Dec 2010, 16:24 (Ref:2804800)   #60
Mr.Jingles
Racer

United Kingdom
Reading, Berkshire
Mr.Jingles should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
RIP
Old 15 Dec 2010, 19:42 (Ref:2804882)   #61
Juarez Jed
Veteran

Juarez Jed should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridJuarez Jed should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
There not Jags but.....

Tom's last creations :

http://www.elfin.com.au/elfin/2008/

http://www.walkinshawperformance.com.au/wp/au/

Thanks for the memories Tom
Old 18 Dec 2010, 01:05 (Ref:2805840)   #62
Paulaweybridge
Veteran

United Kingdom
Paulaweybridge should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridPaulaweybridge should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
This really is sad news.

I saw him and his Rover Vitesse, if I remember correctly, at the 1983 British Grand Prix.

A larger than life character.

R.I.P Tom
Old 19 Dec 2010, 03:18 (Ref:2806183)   #63
Vettel in a Williams
Rookie

Scotland
Dundee
Vettel in a Williams should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
RIP Tom. You will be sadly missed, but never forgotten.
Old 20 Dec 2010, 15:47 (Ref:2806559)   #64
neil_davidson2
TT Photo Of The Year Winner - 2009 & 2010
Veteran

England
Swindon, UK
neil_davidson2 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridneil_davidson2 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The passing of another character.

Rest Easy, Tom.
Old 20 Dec 2010, 16:31 (Ref:2806571)   #65
TWRv12
Veteran

TWRv12 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridTWRv12 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Loads of great rugby tributes here:
http://www.thisisgloucestershire.co....loucesterrugby
Old 23 Dec 2010, 22:22 (Ref:2807950)   #66
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
And the next generation looks ahead... Here
Old 24 Dec 2013, 02:05 (Ref:3347461)   #67
TWRv12
Veteran

TWRv12 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridTWRv12 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid