Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > My Track Designs

Old 7 Sep 2011, 21:58 (Ref:2952428)   #1
wolfhound
Veteran

Ireland
wolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
WH's Tracks

Here is my first offering of a track design.

The long circuit Black track is 4.7km
The blue circuit is 2.3km and the red circuit is 2.6km

There is an elevation change of 30m between highest and lowest points.

The corners are all named after rivers and the circuit is designed to fit in a valley with the paddock inthe lowest part with the prime spectator areas around the outside.

The paddock can be accesed without crossing the track and it serves both of the shorter layouts.
The shorter layouts can be used simultaneously.
Attached Thumbnails
track03 b1.png   track03 b2.png   track03 black.png  

track03 blue & red.png   track03 names.png  
Old 7 Sep 2011, 22:30 (Ref:2952437)   #2
ScotsBrutesFan
Race Official
Veteran

Scotland
West Lothian
ScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Welcome to the My Tracks section.

That is quite a entrance I have to say. Nice to see the elevation in there as well.

Did you use the measuring tool for the distances or is it approximations as each looks rather long for the distances given?
Old 7 Sep 2011, 22:39 (Ref:2952440)   #3
wolfhound
Veteran

Ireland
wolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
The distances are aproximate but should be within about 5%

The track is 12m wide all round. I didn't but in gravel traps barriers etc. as it was very time consuming with the elevation changes.
Old 7 Sep 2011, 22:56 (Ref:2952448)   #4
ScotsBrutesFan
Race Official
Veteran

Scotland
West Lothian
ScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
If you want to check, a good way of doing it is to highlight the track surface all the way around, then right click for options. Select Area and then selection.

You'll get an area in square metres, divide that by your track width and that's your track length in metres. KMs and Miles are easy from there.
Old 7 Sep 2011, 22:56 (Ref:2952449)   #5
ScotsBrutesFan
Race Official
Veteran

Scotland
West Lothian
If you want to check, a good way of doing it is to highlight the track surface all the way around, then right click for options. Select Area and then selection.

You'll get an area in square metres, divide that by your track width and that's your track length in metres. KMs and Miles are easy from there.
Old 7 Sep 2011, 23:57 (Ref:2952463)   #6
SpeedingTortoise
Racer

Scotland
Glasgow
SpeedingTortoise should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Welcome. Loving the layout and the elevation. Ive never done that many elevations in one track. I think i prefer the northern loop to the south due to ot having more fast corners. I'll definetly be looking forward to what you come up with in the future.
Old 8 Sep 2011, 11:56 (Ref:2952653)   #7
ptclaus98
Veteran

United States
ptclaus98 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScotsBrutesFan View Post

That would have been great to know a long time ago. Now If I could learn how to do elevation
Old 16 Sep 2011, 18:08 (Ref:2956514)   #8
Yannick
Veteran

Yannick should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hello wolfhound!

Thank you for joining this section of Ten-tenths and welcome!

The graphic presentation of your track is indeed impressive especially with the elevation changes showing so well. The blot shape of your track, is very nice as well, as is the concept for your circuit. It surely is a modern state-of-the-art Grand Prix facility.

However, I do find your circuit lacking in one particular department and is the corner shapes. There is nothing that sticks out in terms of enabling multiple racing lines and asymetry can only be found in two places, the Turn 1 & 2 combination and Turn 17. What I miss are corners that slowly open up or slowly decrease. Or stuff like the Craner Curves of Donington where the racing line moves from one side to the other of the racetrack in a fast part of the circuit and also offers multiple lines.

My guess is that your main focus was on the elevation changes instead. Your next design could be so much better if you take into consideration multiple lines and try to enable cars running 2-wide in places.

Another thing I have noticed is that your design shows a lot of the characteristics of a Hermann Tilke design: it's a modern GP facility with long straights ending in sharp corners, a multiple apex run similar to Istambul's Turn 8 (which is your Turns 4 to 8) and even the typical section of high-downforce sweepers are there (Turns 15-18).

It kind of makes me wonder if you're an employee or an apprentice of Bureau Tilke themselves ;-)

Unfortunately, it's those high-downforce sweepers which make the racing on Tilke's tracks so predictable and let the most aero-efficient cars win all the time, providing more boredom than action.

Hence, my 1st change to make the circuit better would be to cut out Turns 15 to 18 and replace them with something else. Also, I'd like to transform one of the sharp corners at the end of the straights (Turns 9, 12 and the final corner) into a 180 degree corner with different radii throughout which would not be that sharp a corner. I guess the best place for that change would be Turn 12, eating up the kink of Turn 13 to gain its full 180 degrees. But then again, 180 degree corners of that kind may just be my kind of style and not yours. Anyhow, I hope you like them. Feel free to integrate them into your circuit.
Attached Thumbnails
track03 black_by_wolfhound_myedit.PNG  
Old 17 Nov 2011, 14:02 (Ref:2987735)   #9
LuiggiSpeed
Veteran

United States
LuiggiSpeed should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Welcome to the board, like they all say, very impressive entrance, I love the horseshoe concept, that track looks a lot like one of my first tracks here, meaning great minds think alike I agree a little bit with Yannick, you might want to "meld down" a little bit the geometric perfection of some of your corners to make them more organic and open up possibilities, but the elevation changes looks really cool and you sure know your stuff. Awesome 1rst track if you ask me.
Old 28 Nov 2011, 23:08 (Ref:2992696)   #10
wolfhound
Veteran

Ireland
My next Track

Here is my next offering.
It is designed primarily as a club circuit the long version being 3.7km(Blue circuit)
There are 2 other road layouts and a short oval.
The Green track is 2.3km, Red one 1.6km and the oval is just over 0.9km.
There is also a rallycross track incorperated into the Green track.

There is a height variation of up to 30m built into this layout.

The paddock is quite large to allow for non track activities like skid pans autotesting etc.
Attached Thumbnails
Track02 A.png   AutoSave_track02blue.png   AutoSave_track02Green & Red.png  

Track02 B.png   Track02 C.png  
Old 29 Nov 2011, 16:51 (Ref:2993020)   #11
LuiggiSpeed
Veteran

United States
Sir we have very alike taste in track design!
Old 30 Nov 2011, 22:20 (Ref:2993697)   #12
wolfhound
Veteran

Ireland
I have always liked the idea of not needing a bridge to get into the paddock.

I have put the paddock at the lowest part of the circuit because nobody seems to spectate from there. I wanted to elevate the spectator areas to maximise their views.

I tried to incorporate the oval into the rest of the circuit using one of the other pit roads but could not workout a way to do it that would work safely.
Old 1 Dec 2011, 07:59 (Ref:2993825)   #13
werner
Veteran

Netherlands
Rotterdam, the Netherlands
werner should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridwerner should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
A great track! You must have put a lot of effort in this work I also like the fact that you have really thought through a philosophy.

You should really redesign the Berlin-corner. The drivers now drive straight into the wall of the oval-pitlane, without any runoff. Maybe a corner like the Audi-S at Zandvoort could be a solution.
Old 1 Dec 2011, 23:26 (Ref:2994176)   #14
wolfhound
Veteran

Ireland
I have carried out a slight revision, to ease speed at Berlin corner but I am not sure whether it works for the track.
Attached Thumbnails
AutoSave_track02blue2.png  
Old 2 Dec 2011, 14:24 (Ref:2994411)   #15
Tathrim
Veteran

United Kingdom
Lancaster/Wallingford
Tathrim should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
A simple change in direction or linking "Valencia" and "Budapest" would work better for flow.
Old 12 Dec 2011, 13:13 (Ref:2998782)   #16
ECW Dan Selby
Veteran

England
Essex, England
ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!
Awesome, awesome, awesome! Very unique, bit of everything. Love it. What can I say?

Selby
Old 19 Dec 2011, 22:42 (Ref:3002032)   #17
wolfhound
Veteran

Ireland
Track 04

I have just finished my latest design.
It incorperates a number of different layouts some of which can operate at the same time.
There is an international circuit (red) 7.47km, national circuit(blue) 3.38km, club (green) 4.39km, an oval 1.6km, a kart track 1.16km inside the oval and a Rallycross track 1.9km incorperated into the club track.
I would be interested in your views.
Attached Thumbnails
Track 04 A.png   Track 04 B.png   Track 04 green & Blue.png  

Track 04 international.png   Track 04 Bend names.png   Track 04 C.png  

Old 19 Dec 2011, 22:46 (Ref:3002035)   #18
wolfhound
Veteran

Ireland
Here are a few more views
Attached Thumbnails
Track 04 D.png   Track 04 F.png   Track 04 E.png  

Old 20 Dec 2011, 08:52 (Ref:3002141)   #19
werner
Veteran

Netherlands
Rotterdam, the Netherlands
werner should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridwerner should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
You like your tracks big, don't you. I can only think of two critisisms. It would be a very, very expensive track to built. But that is not really a problem in a fantasytrack. The other problem is a lack of fast corners. In such a long track you should be able to incorporate 1 or 2 of those.
Old 26 Dec 2014, 17:13 (Ref:3487979)   #20
wolfhound
Veteran

Ireland
Track 06

I have not produced a new track in 3 years so here is something. It lacks detail but it consists of a national graded circuit that incorperates two tracks that can operate independently. You will note there are no straights to be found in any variation.
The long track (red) is 3.42km blue version 1.95km and the green one is 1.7km.
Track width is about 10m.
Attached Thumbnails
track06 plan.png   track06 Red.png   track06 Blue & Green.png  

track06 A.png   track06 B.png   track06 C.png  

Last edited by wolfhound; 26 Dec 2014 at 17:28.
Old 26 Dec 2014, 17:23 (Ref:3487980)   #21
wolfhound
Veteran

Ireland
Another view.
Attached Thumbnails
track06 D.png  

Last edited by wolfhound; 26 Dec 2014 at 17:32.
Old 27 Dec 2014, 04:11 (Ref:3488040)   #22
LuiggiSpeed
Veteran

United States
I would say your last track is a deviation from your usual work, not because of the graphics but because the design itself.
Old 30 Jul 2015, 09:25 (Ref:3562407)   #23
wolfhound
Veteran

Ireland
I just spotted this track on Motorsport.com.

http://uk.motorsport.com/wec/photo/m...id=4531050&i=1

I think it would make a very interesting and challenging track.
Old 30 Jul 2015, 09:58 (Ref:3562418)   #24
ScotsBrutesFan
Race Official
Veteran

Scotland
West Lothian
It would certainly be challenging at I'd guess 8 or 9 kms, and if the elevation can be worked out, it would be endurance heaven.
Old 8 Aug 2015, 16:41 (Ref:3564602)   #25
Yannick
Veteran

Yannick should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Largely due to workload at the time, I missed your Track 04 and I'm really impressed. You have put a whole lot of detail into your design and you are very creative with corner shapes. The Southern circuit (blue) is especially interesting because of how you placed those two hairpins towards the south, in between two straights that then curve towards the hairpins. It would be very interesting to see touring cars fight the oversteer there.