Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > North American Racing

Closed Thread

Old 1 Sep 2012, 18:56 (Ref:3128359)   #1
hondafan37
Veteran

Argentina
Buenos Aires, Argentine
hondafan37 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridhondafan37 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
ALMS/Grand Am Fusion 2014

Ok this is the new thread all were asking.
http://auto-racing.speedtv.com/artic...alizing-merger
Old 1 Sep 2012, 18:58 (Ref:3128360)   #2
gucom
Racer

gucom should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
PLEASE let them have sensible rules for the prototypes, preferably with a strong link to the ACO rule cars...
Old 1 Sep 2012, 19:00 (Ref:3128362)   #3
rustyfan
Veteran

Sweden
rustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I think it'll be good, it'll bring the top teams from both sides together which in theory should make for a solid field.

I wonder what rules they'll use though. Surely the differences between the LMP and DP machinery are too great to allow for any sort of parity without restricting, I assume, the LMPs to death?
Old 1 Sep 2012, 19:00 (Ref:3128363)   #4
NightStalk3r
Veteran

United Kingdom
Wiltshire, England
NightStalk3r should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridNightStalk3r should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Grand-Am running the show? NO THANKS!
Old 1 Sep 2012, 19:03 (Ref:3128366)   #5
Jonerz
Veteran

United States
Youston
Jonerz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJonerz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by gucom View Post
PLEASE let them have sensible rules for the prototypes, preferably with a strong link to the ACO rule cars...
I am hoping so, as well. American control on the rules, but links to the 24 Hours of Le Mans. Make international racing STRONGER where the WEC has failed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NightStalk3r View Post
Grand-Am running the show? NO THANKS!
I too have my worries over GA, more so of NASCAR. Especially with the improvements Grand-Am has been making to their management of late.

Chris
Old 1 Sep 2012, 19:04 (Ref:3128367)   #6
DS"
Veteran

Germany
Germany
DS" should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I don't like the thought of NASCAR running sportscar racing and thus having a large stake in road racing. They'll probably go after IndyCar next, so any competition to their holy Sprint Cup can be eliminated. It's just like when WWE bought WCW. This was a day when pro wrestling died, and the day where a major part of sportscar racing dies will probably come. But hey, we've still got WEC, right?
Old 1 Sep 2012, 19:04 (Ref:3128368)   #7
MulsanneMike
Veteran

United States
MulsanneMike has a real shot at the podium!MulsanneMike has a real shot at the podium!MulsanneMike has a real shot at the podium!MulsanneMike has a real shot at the podium!
ALMS is dead. This allows Don to bow out and Grand-Am to take over. Grand-Am wins. Will be spun as some BS "merger", but the only ones who will believe that are the talking heads on the stage.
Old 1 Sep 2012, 19:04 (Ref:3128369)   #8
scottypinthemix
Racer

United States
atlanta
scottypinthemix should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
As everyone likely does, I have a lot of hopes for how this will turn out.
It could end up being quite a disaster though.
I really don't want to say too much until the details are released.
The one thing I will say though, is that I hope there is a decent TV package available.
:-)
Old 1 Sep 2012, 19:05 (Ref:3128373)   #9
Jonerz
Veteran

United States
Youston
Jonerz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJonerz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottypinthemix View Post
As everyone likely does, I have a lot of hopes for how this will turn out.
It could end up being quite a disaster though.
I really don't want to say too much until the details are released.
The one thing I will say though, is that I hope there is a decent TV package available.
:-)
Yeah, the fears over NASCAR are very real.

Chris
Old 1 Sep 2012, 19:06 (Ref:3128374)   #10
Articus
Veteran

Articus should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridArticus should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridArticus should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Wow....A man goes out for an hour shopping. Then the world decides to turn on its head. Never saw this coming thats for sure. Still speechless.
Old 1 Sep 2012, 19:09 (Ref:3128375)   #11
Matt
Veteran

United States
Connecticut
Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by rustyfan View Post
I think it'll be good, it'll bring the top teams from both sides together which in theory should make for a solid field.

I wonder what rules they'll use though. Surely the differences between the LMP and DP machinery are too great to allow for any sort of parity without restricting, I assume, the LMPs to death?
DP to be P2?

P1 cars are current P1's with large restrictor P2's?
Old 1 Sep 2012, 19:12 (Ref:3128379)   #12
The Badger
Veteran

The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by MulsanneMike View Post
ALMS is dead. This allows Don to bow out and Grand-Am to take over. Grand-Am wins. Will be spun as some BS "merger", but the only ones who will believe that are the talking heads on the stage.
Fair dues ..... dont know what to make of this at all ..... Im reeling !!!
Old 1 Sep 2012, 19:14 (Ref:3128381)   #13
Jonerz
Veteran

United States
Youston
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Badger View Post
Fair dues ..... dont know what to make of this at all ..... Im reeling !!!
Agreed, it could be the death of real PROTOTYPE racing in America, or it could be a much needed infusion of money and common sense...

Chris
Old 1 Sep 2012, 19:20 (Ref:3128382)   #14
MulsanneMike
Veteran

United States
MulsanneMike has a real shot at the podium!MulsanneMike has a real shot at the podium!MulsanneMike has a real shot at the podium!MulsanneMike has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonerz View Post
Agreed, it could be the death of real PROTOTYPE racing in America, or it could be a much needed infusion of money and common sense...

Chris
It won't be. Grand-Am's singular purpose was to muddy the racing market outside of NASCAR, to effectively build a monopoly. And they have done that by (effectively) killing the ALMS and all their machinations in the CART/IRL wars.
Old 1 Sep 2012, 19:23 (Ref:3128385)   #15
gucom
Racer

gucom should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Maybe not the ideal topic for this question, but it's very well possible that this'll also affect the new merger series...

the SPEED article says GA is going to introduce a GX class in 2013, with alternative means of propulsion. Googling for GX, I find the Lotus Evora GX, which is basically a modified GT4 car, but also Mazda is offering a sky-active diesel engine, without a chassis... how would that work?!? does GX accept both GT's and prototypes?

another question: how do current LMP2's compare to DP's, speed-wise?
Old 1 Sep 2012, 19:24 (Ref:3128387)   #16
Jonerz
Veteran

United States
Youston
Quote:
Originally Posted by MulsanneMike View Post
It won't be. Grand-Am's singular purpose was to muddy the racing market outside of NASCAR, to effectively build a monopoly. And they have done that by (effectively) killing the ALMS and all their machinations in the CART/IRL wars.
That is my fear. So that means 2014 won't be the big season, but surely in that case there are parties in the US that will want to revive sports car racing and bring back the Vipers, Corvettes and such. Maybe 2016 will just be a continuation of the war. Or maybe no one has the wherewithal and American racing just stays broken...

I'm crossing my fingers that this merger is positive...

Chris
Old 1 Sep 2012, 19:24 (Ref:3128388)   #17
Nick6
Racer

United States
Nick6 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Sounds more like a buy out to me.

The only part of ALMS that I see living on is GTE in restricted form.
Old 1 Sep 2012, 19:27 (Ref:3128391)   #18
Matt
Veteran

United States
Connecticut
Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by gucom View Post
Maybe not the ideal topic for this question, but it's very well possible that this'll also affect the new merger series...

the SPEED article says GA is going to introduce a GX class in 2013, with alternative means of propulsion. Googling for GX, I find the Lotus Evora GX, which is basically a modified GT4 car, but also Mazda is offering a sky-active diesel engine, without a chassis... how would that work?!? does GX accept both GT's and prototypes?

another question: how do current LMP2's compare to DP's, speed-wise?
Current DP's are slightly quicker than ALMS GT, iirc.

Now the time to give the DP's about 300 more horsepower and some more downforce. GTP 2.0
Old 1 Sep 2012, 19:27 (Ref:3128392)   #19
rustyfan
Veteran

Sweden
rustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I think it'll sort itself out somehow.

I mean, when Heath Ledger got the part as the Joker in the Dark Knight a lot of people ruled it out as a fiasco straight away, saying it wouldn't work and so forth and in the end it turned out to be bloody fantastic.

Point being: let's wait until we get some actual details on the 2014 plans before we decide to declare prototype racing in North America dead and buried.
Old 1 Sep 2012, 19:28 (Ref:3128393)   #20
Matt
Veteran

United States
Connecticut
Quote:
Originally Posted by rustyfan View Post
I think it'll sort itself out somehow.

I mean, when Heath Ledger got the part as the Joker in the Dark Knight a lot of people ruled it out as a fiasco straight away, saying it wouldn't work and so forth and in the end it turned out to be bloody fantastic.

Point being: let's wait until we get some actual details on the 2014 plans before we decide to declare prototype racing in North America dead and buried.
I agree with this by about four hundred million percent.
Old 1 Sep 2012, 19:29 (Ref:3128394)   #21
Jonerz
Veteran

United States
Youston
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick6 View Post
Sounds more like a buy out to me.

The only part of ALMS that I see living on is GTE in restricted form.
I hope GT isn't restricted. I hope whatever classes that might exist above ALMS GT in the new series are quicker than the current DP class and PC class, so the GT cars aren't nipping at their heels.

I would be a fan if ALMS GT was made the top class and DP was thrown out, but I think that isn't very likely. It would be a very reasonable thing to do.

Crazy couple of days with GT3/GT-Am being a big debate yesterday, and now the potential merger.

Oh, and thanks to Don Panoz for making the ALMS in the first place, it's been a great run.

Chris
Old 1 Sep 2012, 19:31 (Ref:3128398)   #22
CTD
Veteran

Denmark
Aarhus, Jylland, Denmark
CTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
The fact that it's 2014 would also stop any american team from spending their dollars on the new LMP cars, and instead buy GA's.
(Quoted myself of Facebook)
Old 1 Sep 2012, 19:32 (Ref:3128399)   #23
Matt
Veteran

United States
Connecticut
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTD View Post
The fact that it's 2014 would also stops any american team from spending their dollars on the new LMP cars, and instead buy GA's.
(Quoted myself of Facebook)
Unless GA fully intends to add those cars into the fold...
Old 1 Sep 2012, 19:34 (Ref:3128401)   #24
JHamilton
Veteran

United States
Atlanta, GA
JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Articus View Post
Never saw this coming thats for sure. Still speechless.
I tried dammit. No one listened

Here's how I see it moving forward:

1. A more open prototype class that would combine the current P1 & P2 classes but lean towards the P2 formula.

2. A spec prototype class. This would allow the new series to mix the DPs and LMPCs until they find a direction.

3. I think you leave GTE alone. I don't know if anyone could justify changing it.

4. GTC/GT3/GTwhatever - This seems like a natural progression to include the GA GT class.

This could be positive. However my opinion on the entire sale depends on what happens to Road Atlanta. I really don't care about the series or cars, that stuff comes and goes, but don't touch my track.
Old 1 Sep 2012, 19:39 (Ref:3128407)   #25
CTD
Veteran

Denmark
Aarhus, Jylland, Denmark
CTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt View Post
Unless GA fully intends to add those cars into the fold...
Hmm, i don't know much about the NASCAR family, but don't see that happening. That would be the death of manufacture involvement in their own Prototype class
Quote:
Originally Posted by JHamilton View Post
I tried dammit. No one listened

Here's how I see it moving forward:

1. A more open prototype class that would combine the current P1 & P2 classes but lean towards the P2 formula.

2. A spec prototype class. This would allow the new series to mix the DPs and LMPCs until they find a direction.

3. I think you leave GTE alone. I don't know if anyone could justify changing it.

4. GTC/GT3/GTwhatever - This seems like a natural progression to include the GA GT class.

This could be positive. However my opinion on the entire sale depends on what happens to Road Atlanta. I really don't care about the series or cars, that stuff comes and goes, but don't touch my track.
Current LMP's will be scrapped in 2014, so you can strike #1. And likely #2 also.