Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > My Track Designs

Old 10 Nov 2013, 01:13 (Ref:3329490)   #1
LuiggiSpeed
Veteran

United States
LuiggiSpeed should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hi all ...I'm alive!!!

Hey all!!

Been a little off for the last year or so, all the years of extreme sports and behavior are starting to take the toll on me, have had 4 surgeries in the last 18 months , knee repair, some kind of neck cancer, but here I am, still kicking and the prognosis is good

So I have a vision and like always, I ain't designing on thin air, we have a nice place and some people listening (at least listening) and before I go too crazy on sketchup or the current program of choice I wanted to test the water with this design, it will include a 1/4 mile drag strip (separated from the main course) and a 2 mile circuit. I try to make a fun and fast circuit using a variety of corner types. My goal as always is safe distances, not too many turns, not too few, a couple of high speed kinks (I love those) a multi apex, a double apex increasing radius, a couple of good hard stops, T1 not being one of them to avoid 1rst turn pile ups , a tricky last section for interesting race finishes and blah blah blah my usual stuff.

Course is 2.11 miles, runs CCW and has 13 turns observed by me, gimmie some feedback before I start to draw anything complicated. Thank you all and I'm looking foward to read your comments.
Attached Thumbnails
SanJuanRaceway_2.11_full_quarter_mile.jpg  
Old 10 Nov 2013, 03:12 (Ref:3329507)   #2
Beetle
Veteran

United States
Texas
Beetle is going for a new lap record!Beetle is going for a new lap record!Beetle is going for a new lap record!Beetle is going for a new lap record!Beetle is going for a new lap record!Beetle is going for a new lap record!
It looks superb, Luiggi! Glad to see you and the track design forum alive!

Shades of Catalunya and Portimao... two excellent, creative circuits. I like that it's CCW... really the only point you'd have to break really heavily is at turn 3. I'd personally make the track a bit longer as well as tightening up the final turn and the top turn also, but otherwise, very, very good job!
Old 10 Nov 2013, 03:58 (Ref:3329516)   #3
LuiggiSpeed
Veteran

United States
Thanks Bettle!

I'll take your advice in the next stage of the design, by shaping the corners, I think there's potential for overtaking at T3, T5 & T7 if I shape them properly. The last turn I wouldn't like to tighten up because I love Philip Island's grand finales where you want the maximun drive to the finish line, albeit in my track they will come from a weird multi apex triangle.The theory there is that the one who connects all the corners gets the best lap time and there are different lines you can take. I can't make it any longer because I was asked that it be 2 miles and I already went past by 1/10th lol.

There are some elevation changes in the terrain that should add flavor to those corners. I also measured all the possible trajectories and seems that I have more than enough run off space.

Thanks for posting in my thread, really appreciated!
Old 10 Nov 2013, 16:46 (Ref:3329662)   #4
ScotsBrutesFan
Race Official
Veteran

Scotland
West Lothian
ScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Good to hear from you after your absence. The last 12 months sound challenging to say the least, you say the prognosis is good, which is great to hear.

You make a return at a time where sadly the thread is at a low, with few posting designs and perhaps even fewer commenting. So any contributions you are able to make will be welcome.

Seeing your name on the thread might even encourage a few to return.

Good to have you back
Old 10 Nov 2013, 19:22 (Ref:3329701)   #5
SpeedingTortoise
Racer

Scotland
Glasgow
SpeedingTortoise should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Welcome back!! This is a nice track. It looks like the little brother of Circuit Ricardo Torno, as it has similar corners and uses the space very efficiently. Im not sure about T5 and 6. I think a single long curve might be better than the double 90 degree lefts you have at the moment. You could maybe have it tightening towards the end, so that riders have different lines and that could create passing down the straight afterwards.
Old 10 Nov 2013, 20:48 (Ref:3329724)   #6
ScotsBrutesFan
Race Official
Veteran

Scotland
West Lothian
ScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Talking about the circuit

The start of the lap very much shows you bike philosophy in that the open arcof T1 allows a big bunch (from the start of the race) to get through safely before the kink at T2 thins the pack down into no more that 2 or perhaps 3 wide before the first hard braking zone of T3, almost completely removing the likelihood of a "skittles" (or bowling ball) accident where one rider mid pack miss judges the corner doesn't take out half the field.

On subsequent laps the overtaking option is still there on a bike, as the corner offers a range of lines with differing apex points.

Not a bad thing, but it always makes me think Bike rather than car racing.
Old 10 Nov 2013, 23:30 (Ref:3329787)   #7
LuiggiSpeed
Veteran

United States
Thanks all!
Yes it's definitively one of my preferred designs and yes you got that right, that's the theory behind it.

As for the DA, I had to go with a decreasing rad to force a reduction of speed and to put some interesting situation in the mix. May not look beautiful from an aerial view but DAs are incredibly fun to race!

I feel it needs a little something at the end of the lap, that triangle doesn't have much soul , I was just aiming at a certain number of turns so that it doesn't become a karting track on steroids. I need to find a better section there before I start the actual draw.
Old 11 Nov 2013, 00:31 (Ref:3329799)   #8
LuiggiSpeed
Veteran

United States
Some edits I did thinking about cars, braking points etc.
I'm not really too fond on tight twisty sections but...
Attached Thumbnails
SanJuan2.2_quarter_mile.jpg   SanJuan2.0_twisty.jpg  
Old 11 Nov 2013, 14:20 (Ref:3329954)   #9
ScotsBrutesFan
Race Official
Veteran

Scotland
West Lothian
I think your on the right ideas, but a mixture of the two final sections. At work at moment so can't offer edits.
Old 11 Nov 2013, 19:27 (Ref:3330053)   #10
bio
Veteran

Hungary
Budapest, Hungary, Europe
bio should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I could still guess right away whose designs these are :

bio
Old 12 Nov 2013, 20:15 (Ref:3330559)   #11
SKG
Racer

Wales
Mid-Wales
SKG should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hey, glad to read that things are going well

I can see why you were concerned about the last section. I like the first of the two suggested fixes, the faster bends are definitely more interesting.
Old 16 Nov 2013, 15:27 (Ref:3332150)   #12
LuiggiSpeed
Veteran

United States
I'm throwing some other approaches, remeber a 1/8 mile dragstrip is required and a 2.0 mile circuit.

I try this one that doesn't require any kind of bridges or aditional costs and looks like easy access, pitlane paddock on the correct side and config and the little 1/8 dragstrip(200m) with 500 meters to stop and return lane.

The circuit itself is 12 turns CCW with the usual features I like, a variety of corner type, some tight some wide open, some chicane, back straight gets to 680M~, inner straight is 420M~, obviously the circuit is not designed to be looked at from the sky, but rather a functional, regional circuit for national racing and maybe some regional events, GT, Touring, bikes and smaller formula classes can have a go on my little circuit.All projected distances for run off look safe to me for the predicted/possible speeds.
Attached Thumbnails
SanJuan2.0_drag_one_eight.jpg  
Old 16 Nov 2013, 17:35 (Ref:3332184)   #13
LuiggiSpeed
Veteran

United States
Well, not 1 hour and I already did some fine tuning, I'm liking this idea mostly because logistics.
Attached Thumbnails
SanJuan2.0_drag_one_eight.jpg  
Old 20 Nov 2013, 02:28 (Ref:3334024)   #14
LuiggiSpeed
Veteran

United States

Finally had some time to throw something at you guys.

Here's my first attempt with Ketchup

Pics are self explanatory. I want a critique about the circuit, not the quality of my drawings. I'm not a graphic artist of any kind, not pretend to, love to know how does the track complex makes sense, if it does. I need another set of eyes or three to check for any mayor screwups!
Attached Thumbnails
SanJuan_Motor_Sports_Complex.jpg   SanJuan_Motor_Sports_Complex1.jpg   SanJuan_Motor_Sport_Complex2.jpg  

SanJuan_Motor_Sport_Complex_Road_Course.jpg   SanJuan_Motor_Sport_Complex_DragStrip.jpg   SanJuan_Motor_Sports_Complex4.jpg  

Old 20 Nov 2013, 04:07 (Ref:3334051)   #15
LuiggiSpeed
Veteran

United States
Upgraded road course
Attached Thumbnails
SanJuan_Road_Course.jpg  
Old 21 Nov 2013, 01:46 (Ref:3334586)   #16
ptclaus98
Veteran

United States
ptclaus98 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuiggiSpeed View Post
Hey all!!

Been a little off for the last year or so, all the years of extreme sports and behavior are starting to take the toll on me, have had 4 surgeries in the last 18 months , knee repair, some kind of neck cancer, but here I am, still kicking and the prognosis is good

So I have a vision and like always, I ain't designing on thin air, we have a nice place and some people listening (at least listening) and before I go too crazy on sketchup or the current program of choice I wanted to test the water with this design, it will include a 1/4 mile drag strip (separated from the main course) and a 2 mile circuit. I try to make a fun and fast circuit using a variety of corner types. My goal as always is safe distances, not too many turns, not too few, a couple of high speed kinks (I love those) a multi apex, a double apex increasing radius, a couple of good hard stops, T1 not being one of them to avoid 1rst turn pile ups , a tricky last section for interesting race finishes and blah blah blah my usual stuff.

Course is 2.11 miles, runs CCW and has 13 turns observed by me, gimmie some feedback before I start to draw anything complicated. Thank you all and I'm looking foward to read your comments.
Luigi, I love seeing your tracks as you seem to have a fantastic concept of the natural flow of a race course. The above track would be an honor to drive, IMO.
Old 21 Nov 2013, 13:50 (Ref:3334777)   #17
ScotsBrutesFan
Race Official
Veteran

Scotland
West Lothian
I know from experience that you'd be looking to run events on the drag strip and track simultaneously, but given the space restrictions whether the drag strip would operate easier from the circuit paddock, rather than a separate one which doesn't appear to have easy access
Old 21 Nov 2013, 14:43 (Ref:3334796)   #18
LuiggiSpeed
Veteran

United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScotsBrutesFan View Post
I know from experience that you'd be looking to run events on the drag strip and track simultaneously, but given the space restrictions whether the drag strip would operate easier from the circuit paddock, rather than a separate one which doesn't appear to have easy access
There shall be an entrance to the circuit and an entrance to the drag paddock and they divide right there behind the drag starting area, the public gets the parking to the left of the stands.

Still a WIP , have to work out most of the details.
Old 22 Nov 2013, 05:06 (Ref:3335058)   #19
LuiggiSpeed
Veteran

United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by ptclaus98 View Post
Luigi, I love seeing your tracks as you seem to have a fantastic concept of the natural flow of a race course. The above track would be an honor to drive, IMO.