Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 28 Mar 2005, 04:10 (Ref:1263305)   #1
thirty4
Rookie

Australia
Newcastle
thirty4 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Peter McKay

Can anyone explain to me what's Peter McKay's beef with the V8's? On the rare occasion V8's make it into the Sunday Herald, its in a negitave form. This week, "Ingall must race smarter" This maybe true, but its just another negative when there is so many positive things that could have been reported from Adelaide.
Old 28 Mar 2005, 05:04 (Ref:1263314)   #2
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I would argue it is hypocritical to enjoy the hospitality of V8Supercar at various launches, race meetings and other events and spend your deepest darkest hours slamming the living hell out of them. But thats just me.

Is it about time a Journo took a Supercar for a burn for a motoring magazing again? Say an on track test of Mr Ambrose's twice championship winner versus say Mr Skaife's latest Holden entry?
“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House
Old 28 Mar 2005, 07:45 (Ref:1263343)   #3
Sol
Racer

Sol should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Peter McKay never changes. He has been like it for years.

I feel like 'jobbing him' everytime I pass him in the paddock at a V8 race (not that I would or am advocating violence towards the esteemed media).

He is a great writer, I have enjoyed his writing over many years, but his negativity towards the V8s for so long rubs me the wrong way.
Old 28 Mar 2005, 07:52 (Ref:1263346)   #4
kramer
Racer

kramer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
He's negative to the Holden and Ford only formula - he'd like to see it opened up to other makes (Audi and M-Benz are both rumoured to have expressed interest, only to have the door slammed in their faces).

He also seems not to get along with TC, which is likely to be a big part of it.

And the hospitality is usually from the race organisers, not AVESCO.

Kramer
Old 28 Mar 2005, 08:45 (Ref:1263365)   #5
paydirt
Racer

paydirt should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
In Peter McKay's defence, maybe a few more manufacturers should be involved in one of the worlds major Touring Car championships-but Audi and M-Benz (and others) declined to get involved with PROCAR, so what makes him think that they'd get involved with AVESCO?
Old 28 Mar 2005, 08:53 (Ref:1263373)   #6
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
They arent volume brands here either... this would be a localised program running to rules that dont exist anywhere else in the world... not sure the seriousness of the intent there...

... Mr McKay seems a closet Toyota fan to me...
“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House
Old 28 Mar 2005, 09:52 (Ref:1263385)   #7
Mark Webber
Veteran

Australia
Australia
Mark Webber has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
I share his view on other makes . anything got to be better than it is now
Old 28 Mar 2005, 10:08 (Ref:1263388)   #8
pete55
Veteran

pete55 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Mr McKay has had a bit to do with Toyota in motorsport over the years.
Old 28 Mar 2005, 12:14 (Ref:1263463)   #9
D.R.T.
Veteran

D.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridD.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I always enjoy McKays articles. Considering the amount of people that kiss up to the V8's, I find it refreshing for a writer to express there beliefs.

That said, have there been articles where Mr McKay has been harshly negative towards V8's/Avesco ?
Old 28 Mar 2005, 22:47 (Ref:1263852)   #10
Wrighty05
Veteran

Australia
Wrighty05 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
He was a big fan of the 2 litres with the split in 1997/98.
"It was dry for the second go-around. Grice, nervous, worrying about his Bathurst jinx, ran 2:25.9. The amazing Brock, using every last centimetre of bitumen, yet keeping the car straight and balanced and at full noise, came back with a staggering 2:20.0 as if to say: "Match that". And people just shook their heads, bit their lips and wondered who would be second".

RIP Peter Brock. 1945-2006
Old 28 Mar 2005, 23:53 (Ref:1263866)   #11
djt46
Racer

Australia
Melbourne, Australia
djt46 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
AS another dreaded journalist and one who has known Peter for many years I think you have to accept that he is sufficiently old school to consider it his job to provide critical analysis not synchophantic babble on whatever subject he chooses to write on. BTW getting a media pass out of the race promoters is not 'enjoying their hsopitality'it's justa necessary tool that's needed to do a job! Suggesting that a driver needs to be a bit smarter is not some sort of underhand attempt to bring down AVESCO, unless the pack of cards is even more fragile than it appears to be!

Last edited by djt46; 28 Mar 2005 at 23:53.
Old 29 Mar 2005, 01:07 (Ref:1263897)   #12
racer69
Veteran

Australia
Sydney, Australia
racer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridracer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
He's just countering Ray Kerschler's 'AVESCO are God' write-ups over at the Telegraph.

When is Peter McKay going to be nominated for his media award at the AVESCO Awards night?
Old 29 Mar 2005, 01:23 (Ref:1263904)   #13
djt46
Racer

Australia
Melbourne, Australia
On the Tele:exactly!
AVESCO award: isn't there this thing about hell and snowballs!!!
Old 29 Mar 2005, 04:57 (Ref:1263948)   #14
cav
Racer

cav should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Gee whizz guys you are being pretty hard on Mckay. He has been around for longer than most and does know the industry pretty well and if he does bag someone it is generally pretty well founded. I didnt see what you are having a go at him about but I bet he was pretty right. If you want to have a go at someone what about that Kershler ****** who knows absolutely nothing and researches to the same level.
Old 29 Mar 2005, 05:13 (Ref:1263958)   #15
Seton Fanatic
Racer

Seton Fanatic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Ray Kershler's history before V8 Supercars consisted of Lawn Bowls, Fishing and Betting, which he covers quite well. What gives Mr Kershler V8 credibility (why am I saying this), was when he broke the story stating that Peter Brock was returning as a driver to Bathurst in 2002 under the Team Brock banner. Other than that, Kershler isn't god's gift to motorsport journalism. Give me McKay or Jennings any day over Kershler.
Old 29 Mar 2005, 07:52 (Ref:1264003)   #16
Sol
Racer

Sol should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think the point here is that many acknowledge McKay as a good motoring / motorsport writer. The thing here is he has been consistently negative towards V8s for a long long time. It would be hard to find anything positive he has had to say about V8 Supercar.

Sure, Ingall could have driven smarter, but what about the return of Lowndes to a fast car, or Ambrose's dominance, etc. There were far better angles than having a go at Russell.
Old 29 Mar 2005, 08:06 (Ref:1264017)   #17
stoned pony
Veteran

Vanuatu
Chained to my desk
stoned pony should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
So the idea here is that no journalist anywhere should say anything at all negative about our precious V8 Supercars even if they are, like Peter mcKay on the weekend, merely making an observation about a driver's stupidity?
Maybe McKay is a realist who, unlike some who follow the Taxis, does not have a pair of rose-colored spectacles.
Old 29 Mar 2005, 10:17 (Ref:1264123)   #18
mmciau
Veteran

Australia
South Australia
mmciau should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Ah yes Bob Jennings - originally from the Adelaide scene. I remember Bob from the mid 1960s and he was always a very objective journalist.

Mike
Old 29 Mar 2005, 12:34 (Ref:1264233)   #19
v8babe
Racer

Australia
QLD
v8babe should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Ask anyone in the media centre and a lot will tell you they're sick of writing about Ambrose's dominance blah blah blah. It's refreshing to read about something else for once! Pete's a great guy, great friend and respected fellow journo. You can't buy his experience and knowledge of the industry, no matter what angle you look at it from.
Old 29 Mar 2005, 13:52 (Ref:1264299)   #20
emjaya
Racer

Aland Islands
in a house
emjaya should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Peter Mckay would have to be better than Gordon Lomas and the other AVESCO parrot who write for the Courier Mail

I believe Mckay has raced at Bathurst and Macau,he may know what he's talking about.

Last edited by emjaya; 29 Mar 2005 at 14:01. Reason: sent before finishing comment.
Old 30 Mar 2005, 01:33 (Ref:1264841)   #21
TSR
Veteran

Australia
Sutherland Shire
TSR has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
And people please do not forget about the dribble that one Mr Fogarty from AF dribbles on with. (As well a self imposing his melon on every picture he can )
2015 V8Supercar Champion #5 PDA Mark Frosty Winterbottom
To Finish First, First you must Finish
Old 30 Mar 2005, 01:48 (Ref:1264849)   #22
D.R.T.
Veteran

D.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridD.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by emjaya
Peter Mckay would have to be better than Gordon Lomas and the other AVESCO parrot who write for the Courier Mail
Arh yes, Gordon Lomas, the mind shudders at some of the articles he attempts to write.

Back on point, just because Mr Mckay writes some not positive articles, it doesn't mean he is wrong. Read what he writes before shooting him down.
Old 30 Mar 2005, 02:02 (Ref:1264852)   #23
bazil
Veteran

bazil should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
McKay is a fossil who writes about Australias premier catergory like it is something to be ashamed of. I am sick of comments about the lack of multiple makes and longing for the old days because they were supposedly better than today. Just like elections Australians have voted with the feet and dollars, never has motorsport enjoyed the support and Tv coverage it now has and with Australians competing in just about every major racing catorgory around the world it is in a real purple patch. In the states they race Fords and Chevys in Japan its Nissans and Toyotas, in Germany its Mercedes and Porsches etc etc why is it so hard for him to understand Australians want to watch Holdens and Fords. Its time for him to deal with and embrace the success of Supercars or maybe move on to something more his speed like lawn bowls.
Old 30 Mar 2005, 02:13 (Ref:1264861)   #24
djt46
Racer

Australia
Melbourne, Australia
bazil: ah perhaps your other name is fawlty because that would certainly seem to be the state of your reasononing. Just because someone questions aspects of a certain activity, in this case the race craft of Ingall, does not mean that they are unable to appreciate the broader points of that activity. As to your comments on SuperCars and Australian motor sport, it's not hard to see that a devoted percentage of fans will follow this racing to the edge of hell and back, doesn't make it good motor sport, but it is a fact that Australian motor sport in general is in a pretty poor state.
Old 30 Mar 2005, 02:19 (Ref:1264863)   #25
Crash Test
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne, Australia
Crash Test should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridCrash Test should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Hey, does anyone have a link to the article or able of reporducing it here?