Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 13 Jun 2008, 04:46 (Ref:2227483)   #1
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Spa Summer Classic 14/15 June

Well seeing as some peeps are going and it looks like a good meeting, I thought we'd open up the discussion.

I guess most folks are already on their way so this'll no doubt be for reports. However suffice to say I'm not going due to work.
Old 13 Jun 2008, 07:07 (Ref:2227522)   #2
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
terence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridterence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Saddly that reason affects me too!!!!
Old 13 Jun 2008, 07:41 (Ref:2227532)   #3
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
Kent+Mojacar Spain, but not always ?
GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!
Believe it or not, but I am a guest at the opening of a new sports center near me today. Seb Coe is opening it this afternoon.
Fame at last (they must be stuck for a rent a crowd)
Balls of steel (knob of butter) They're Asking For Larkins. ( Proper beer) not you're Eurofizz crap. Hace más calor en España. Me han conocido a hablar un montón cojones! Send any cheques and cash to PO box 1 Lagos Nigeria Africa !
Old 13 Jun 2008, 16:52 (Ref:2227928)   #4
Eddy V
Veteran

Belgium
Belgium & UK
Eddy V should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridEddy V should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'll be there tomorrow and Sunday, will try to post something if needed.

Results: http://www.ris-timing.be/
Old 14 Jun 2008, 18:42 (Ref:2228780)   #5
Eddy V
Veteran

Belgium
Belgium & UK
Eddy V should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridEddy V should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
A bit of a low key day today, something is missing at Spa. The paddock seems to be a bit too empty to my liking, the races are not overly subscribed.
There was even one 61' race with only 19 starters.

The Top Hat race was one of the better races of the day, along with the first F2 race.

Lets hope for a better day tomorrow.
Old 14 Jun 2008, 20:04 (Ref:2228837)   #6
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
terence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridterence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
[quote=Eddy V]A bit of a low key day today, something is missing at Spa.

YEAH<US LOT!!!!!!
Old 15 Jun 2008, 06:40 (Ref:2229159)   #7
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
What's the weather like?
Old 15 Jun 2008, 18:34 (Ref:2229587)   #8
Eddy V
Veteran

Belgium
Belgium & UK
Believe it or not Terry, I honestly think that was the problem.

Weather wasn't too bad, dry yesterday and today, albeit very windy. Overall the same thing as yesterday, some of the races weren't too bad, but not enough cars.
Pre66 F1 were great, Juniors not too bad either, but more like: a car, 3 second gap, another car, 3 second gap...

The 100 mile race was marred after a few laps by a huge crash on the old start-finish; 2 German Porsche 911s tangled and caused a big mess. Oil, parts and debris everywhere, even one complete engine was found near the grandstand. Both drivers fortunately okay though, a bit shaken and stirred.

Another big one in the 4 hour on the Kemmel straight, again caused by two German drivers. Sounds a bit familiar, doesn't it?

Shaun Lynn (GT40) led from start to almost finish, crawled to a halt (empty tank ?) near Stavelot with a few hundred metres to go. From what we heard over the radio they still got the win (haven't checked RIS yet).
Great race as well by Hadfield and Delta (great to meet the man).

Overall not a bad weekend, but it seems it needs (more of) the 10-10ths gang.
Old 15 Jun 2008, 20:18 (Ref:2229655)   #9
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
Nice to know you missed us Eddy,Shame about the incidents though.Good to hear the Brits had some fun.Looks like there will be a huge welcome party when we all come over for the six hours.
Old 16 Jun 2008, 02:04 (Ref:2229800)   #10
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
Quote:
Originally Posted by terence bower
Nice to know you missed us Eddy,Shame about the incidents though.Good to hear the Brits had some fun.Looks like there will be a huge welcome party when we all come over for the six hours.

OOPS Sorry,An echo,o,o,o.
Old 16 Jun 2008, 12:02 (Ref:2230019)   #11
esper
Veteran

Netherlands
nl
esper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddy V
I'll be there tomorrow and Sunday, will try to post something if needed.

Results: http://www.ris-timing.be/
we are always joking you are lagging behind 1 year. but its real! if you follow the link.
Old 16 Jun 2008, 12:43 (Ref:2230044)   #12
Alan Morgan
Veteran

Alan Morgan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It was good to meet up with Eddy V (I was helping Delta). I'm glad to hear that the two Porsche drivers are ok. It was a surreal moment seeing one of them fly over the other and slam into the wall of the grandstand. He was very lucky to miss the steel steps. As Eddy said, there was wreckage everywhere, and it was quite alarming to see one of the drivers receiving what looked like emergency medical attention on the circuit. The cars ahead of the shunt were picked up by the safety car, which then had to lead them through the pitlane. It was a couple of laps before the cars behind the accident were able to join the train.

The marshals did a superb job in clearing up the debris in well under half an hour, and as Delta himself can confirm, the medical crews at Spa are excellent.
Old 16 Jun 2008, 16:12 (Ref:2230157)   #13
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
Alan,when you say "helping",was that explaining what Yellow flags mean?
Old 16 Jun 2008, 16:42 (Ref:2230187)   #14
Eddy V
Veteran

Belgium
Belgium & UK
No, no, Alan was really helping.
With the fridge and everything that was in there.

Good to meet you as well Alan, wanted to come back after the race, but a friend called me that there was a big traffic jam starting to build up on the motorway. So off I went.

Esper, I think RIS hasn't found a 2008 button yet.
Old 16 Jun 2008, 16:50 (Ref:2230197)   #15
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
Do they actualy know the date?
Old 16 Jun 2008, 18:55 (Ref:2230297)   #16
Alan Morgan
Veteran

Alan Morgan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
No, no, Alan was really helping.
With the fridge and everything that was in there.
It's a tough job, but....

Although I enjoy a beer as much as the next man, if the next man happens to be Iain's co-driver at Spa, then I am a mere amateur!
Old 16 Jun 2008, 19:50 (Ref:2230344)   #17
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!
I for one had a brilliant time and a great race with Mr Hadfields team mate. He choped me a few times and i had a chuckle when he finnally put the Elva in the gravel."Did you see me give you the thumbs up Eddy." The 4 hour race could of been Team Delta's finnest race but for the refueling .Once again we got stitched up as we were told we had to go to the fuel station to fill up.We lost 8 minuits as the pump kept on cutting out. What did finnish us off was the fact that the other Sports 2000 teams were then fueling the cars themselves.I had an apology from the the Marshall which i accecpt but our car ran like clockwork and we are convinced we would off been in the top 3 at the end. Hey Ho. It was great to meet Eddy "bit worried he does not drink "
Old 16 Jun 2008, 20:12 (Ref:2230365)   #18
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!
Bye the way Terrance i got quizzed on the black flag this time as i was day dreaming and thought the marshalls were going to wave at the old pit straight . Ooopps. "wake up Rowley " Kept looking thoughout the race and was very dissapointed my number never came up.
Old 16 Jun 2008, 20:30 (Ref:2230379)   #19
Eddy V
Veteran

Belgium
Belgium & UK
Sure I saw that Iain. I helped a bit with the blue flag to make overtaking easier for you. That I even remembered how to use a flag wonders me.
Was I mistaken or did the car start sounding rough (manifold?) near the end?

And I told you I'd take care of the Safety car for the 100 miles.
Old 16 Jun 2008, 20:50 (Ref:2230400)   #20
john ruston
The Scarlet Pimpernel
Veteran

john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!
Which race did Michael Strovaldo win?
Old 17 Jun 2008, 06:11 (Ref:2230565)   #21
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
Quote:
Originally Posted by delta
Bye the way Terrance i got quizzed on the black flag this time as i was day dreaming and thought the marshalls were going to wave at the old pit straight . Ooopps. "wake up Rowley " Kept looking thoughout the race and was very dissapointed my number never came up.

We had better not tell Johngee Iain.
Why dont they make them luminous?
Old 17 Jun 2008, 07:16 (Ref:2230582)   #22
Eddy V
Veteran

Belgium
Belgium & UK
Quote:
Originally Posted by john ruston
Which race did Michael Strovaldo win?
He won the second race (and came second in the first) of the HTGT, a German championship. Don't know the regs, but I guess they spanned several years in one go. It had from little noisy DKWs to Galaxies and Corvettes in it.
Old 17 Jun 2008, 07:32 (Ref:2230593)   #23
MAPearson
Rookie

England
MAPearson should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
We were over there with the TR4 and it was a lovely weekend. It was a shame that it wasn't better attended, but I think that it will get momentum over future years and, hopefully, become a sunnier pre-cursor and warm up for the 6-hour. Well worth the trip!

I saw the two big crashes mentioned earlier in this thread at first hand. Very pleased to hear that the Porsche driver is OK - it was a scary one.

We were very happy with our 11th place in the Top Hat race (which I held on the line by 0.09s from a Healey) but we blew a piston after only about half an hour of the 4 hour race. Not quite the practice we intended.

Put it in the calendar for next year and let's get more people over there for the next one.
Old 17 Jun 2008, 07:36 (Ref:2230594)   #24
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
Yes you are correct Eddy the manifold broke and thanks again for all thr blue flags.We got a big pot for winning the class in the 100 mile race, only problem it says " class winners Assen " ?????
Old 17 Jun 2008, 11:11 (Ref:2230718)   #25
Eddy V
Veteran

Belgium
Belgium & UK
Come on Iain, that is the walloon word for Francorchamps.