Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: trackrooms.co.uk Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Trackside

Old 18 Nov 2009, 15:34 (Ref:2584282)   #1
JimW
Veteran

United Kingdom
Worcestershire, UK
JimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Donington is Dead - Long live Donington [merged]

With DVLL's descent into administration today, it is time to think about Donington's future and to speculate shamelessly about who is going to leap at this prime opportunity.

All unfounded speculation and support welcomed!

In the meantime spare a thought for the workers who have lost their jobs and security just before Christmas.

Regards

Jim
Old 18 Nov 2009, 15:47 (Ref:2584295)   #2
josvandeperre
Veteran

England
Central London
josvandeperre should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It would be nice to think that Bernie, since according to today's Telegraph obit of Tom was such a good mate, might consider quietly using some of the non-refundable monies received from DVL to restore the track
Old 18 Nov 2009, 15:49 (Ref:2584297)   #3
ZombieSheep
Rookie

England
Pontefract
ZombieSheep should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'd like to extend my thoughts to those whose jobs are at risk with this news. At the same time, I can't help feeling positive about it, as far as the future of the circuit is concerned. The seemingly incompetent management are gone, so the future could get brighter.
Old 18 Nov 2009, 15:58 (Ref:2584304)   #4
Greem
Veteran

United Kingdom
Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Part of me wants to rejoice at the news, but then the sane part of me (it's only little) says "oh cack". There are a lot of lovely people up at Donington, and this will leave them in a bit of a stick. Lord knows what'll happen to the track now though.

I'm going to be up there for the BMMC Midlands AGM this evening. I'll see if I can get anything from the staff.
Old 18 Nov 2009, 16:29 (Ref:2584326)   #5
Tim the Grey
Veteran

Wales
Across the M40 from Gaydon...
Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!
Assuming they are there to open up for you...

I really hope Donington gets a makover, facelift, and re-emerges with pride. I just worry it won't...
Old 18 Nov 2009, 18:55 (Ref:2584400)   #6
ChrisA
Veteran

England
Sutton In Ashfield
ChrisA should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridChrisA should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I can see a fantastic business opportunity there. A rich banker/motorsport fan could turn Donny into one of the best club circuits in Europe. How much input from the Wheatcroft family is open to debate, but in Toms memory, it would be great to see it rebuilt to its former state, i.e. before DVLL.
Old 18 Nov 2009, 19:05 (Ref:2584413)   #7
Piglet
Veteran

Piglet should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridPiglet should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridPiglet should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I feel hugely sorry for those that have lost their jobs and have that awful uncertainty at any time of the year and even more so at Christmas...

As to the future, hmm that worries me. AFAIK it's blooming difficult to make money out of running a race circuit. I forget the figure that DVLL seemed to be paying to the freeholder in rent but IIRC it was a huge figure and that's before you spend a penny (pun intended!) on upgrading the frankly scabby facilities in the paddock and around the circuit.

There is a pit lane that was clearly designed for bikes, this makes it effectively impossible (IMV) to run international car racing that isn't touring cars.

I suppose with a long enough rent free period a new owner would be able to invest in putting the circuit back together and upgrading the facilities but I'm not sure what return on investment this would bring.

I really hope the place has a future but I don't think I'd take it on.
Old 18 Nov 2009, 21:37 (Ref:2584556)   #8
Alfaholic
Veteran

England
Felixstowe
Alfaholic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridAlfaholic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Administrator Nigel Price said he wanted a buyer "with vision" who could still bring Formula One to the venue
What about somebody with "Vision" in the name of their company such as MotorSportVision?

Alternatively, if they forget about bringing Formula 1 to Donington, what about one of the main clubs running the circuit. BARC already runs Thruxton & Mallory so what about the BRSCC or even a consortium of clubs stepping in? Would they have the experience or capability to run the circuit?
Old 18 Nov 2009, 21:50 (Ref:2584570)   #9
Piglet
Veteran

Piglet should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridPiglet should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridPiglet should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I don't see why MSV would want Donington. What does it add that they don't already have? Surely it would be another circuit to compete with those it already has? The only real advantage of Donington is the lack of problems relating to noise and the lack of a curfew.

The Snet redevelopment is still on hold and I'm not sure anyone has the sort of money that Donington needs spending on it burning a hole in their pocket.
Old 18 Nov 2009, 22:54 (Ref:2584615)   #10
R59
Veteran

Heard and McDonald Islands
Bedfordshire
R59 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridR59 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Cue: BRDC buys DVLL for £1.
Old 19 Nov 2009, 00:14 (Ref:2584676)   #11
Greem
Veteran

United Kingdom
Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greem View Post
I'm going to be up there for the BMMC Midlands AGM this evening. I'll see if I can get anything from the staff.
Well, in the Collection (the museum) everything seems fine, there's no wailing or gnashing of teeth. Others attending the same meeting seem to think that this is a very positive event, really, as it gets a clueless eejit out of the way and makes room for someone who really knows what they're doing to step up.

No news is good news, I guess. And there was actually no mention of anyone being made redundant either, which is interesting.
Old 19 Nov 2009, 13:37 (Ref:2585059)   #12
Ubique
Racer

Falkland Islands
Watching penguins in the South Atlantic
Ubique should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Piglet View Post
I don't see why MSV would want Donington. What does it add that they don't already have? Surely it would be another circuit to compete with those it already has? The only real advantage of Donington is the lack of problems relating to noise and the lack of a curfew.

The Snet redevelopment is still on hold and I'm not sure anyone has the sort of money that Donington needs spending on it burning a hole in their pocket.
I hope MSV or BARC do take Donington on!! As for the why MSV would want Donington, well for a start it would give them one of the best if not the best race circuits in the UK (yeah I know facillities need updating but I mean the track layout) which already has in place planning permission for upgrade if they so wish. Also it gives them a circuit which isn't either very awkward for most people to get to i.e. Snett or Cadwell or hampered with continued threats of restrictions on timings / amount or meetings they can hold (which may be happening at Brands). Donington would give MSV what they have always wanted, a top circuit that can really take on Silverstone.
Old 19 Nov 2009, 13:51 (Ref:2585081)   #13
ZombieSheep
Rookie

England
Pontefract
ZombieSheep should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ubique View Post
...one of the best if not the best race circuits in the UK...
Well said. I know that we're just working on rumour and conjecture, but I reckon if MSV or BARC took it on, we'd have some great racing on a fantastic track. You never know, they may even build some decent toilets on the outfield.
Old 19 Nov 2009, 14:29 (Ref:2585107)   #14
mickey29
Racer

England
Wellingborough
mickey29 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridmickey29 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZombieSheep View Post
You never know, they may even build some decent toilets on the outfield.
Don't be hasty, that would destroy the culture and history of Donington and make it a civilised place to be.

Perish the thought.
Old 19 Nov 2009, 15:11 (Ref:2585128)   #15
Happy Snapper
Veteran

Grenada
Uplyme, Lyme regis
Happy Snapper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ubique View Post
I hope MSV or BARC do take Donington on!! As for the why MSV would want Donington, well for a start it would give them one of the best if not the best race circuits in the UK (yeah I know facillities need updating but I mean the track layout) which already has in place planning permission for upgrade if they so wish. Also it gives them a circuit which isn't either very awkward for most people to get to i.e. Snett or Cadwell or hampered with continued threats of restrictions on timings / amount or meetings they can hold (which may be happening at Brands). Donington would give MSV what they have always wanted, a top circuit that can really take on Silverstone.

I agree with Piglet, JP (MSV) would not why would they want Donington. We already have strick curfews at Brands and only (I think) 16 Full circiut days a year,but adding Donington to the portfolia adds IMHO nothing except the vast expence of getting the track rebuilt, it's much cheaper to hire Silverstone for a few days.
Old 19 Nov 2009, 15:32 (Ref:2585141)   #16
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!
One correction, dont forget BARC already have Pembrey as well.
Old 19 Nov 2009, 16:15 (Ref:2585164)   #17
Steven Humphrey
Veteran

England
cambridgeshire
Steven Humphrey should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSteven Humphrey should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by R59 View Post
Cue: BRDC buys DVLL for £1.
I'd like to see them buy the circuit-just to see the look on BE's face!!!
Old 19 Nov 2009, 18:55 (Ref:2585261)   #18
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
terence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridterence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I still stand by what I said when all of this farce started,Bernie wants it for himself
Old 19 Nov 2009, 19:19 (Ref:2585276)   #19
Ubique
Racer

Falkland Islands
Watching penguins in the South Atlantic
Ubique should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy Snapper View Post
I agree with Piglet, JP (MSV) would not why would they want Donington. We already have strick curfews at Brands and only (I think) 16 Full circiut days a year,but adding Donington to the portfolia adds IMHO nothing except the vast expence of getting the track rebuilt, it's much cheaper to hire Silverstone for a few days.
So let me get this right, the fact that Donington does NOT have a curfew OR a maximum numbers of days they can hold meetings is a negative?

The cost of buying the Donington lease from the administrators will probably be a fraction of the cost of the proposed redevelopment of Snetterton and for that MSVR get a far better circuit. The cost of getting Donington up to a raceable standard would not be that much. After that initial outlay MSVR could setup a race school or trackday (driving experience) company at the circuit and start making a profit, the other redevelopment could then be done slow time as and when the budget allows.

The curfews etc are the reasons that Brands is not ever going to be the fanastic international circuit it once was. If MSVR want to take on the BRDC and have the best circuit in their own portfolio then buying Donington would be their best course of action.
Old 19 Nov 2009, 19:26 (Ref:2585283)   #20
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!
I agree and was going to make a similar post, at th end of the day JP is a business man and I think the fact he has other circuits in the portfolio is niether here nor there, I don't ever see Donington not selling their allocation of days do you despite MSV circuits operating so why should it be any different. Only thing I would worry about is monoplies.
Old 19 Nov 2009, 19:32 (Ref:2585286)   #21
Piglet
Veteran

It would be MSV not MSVR.

Donington (IMO) needs a vast amount of investment. Other than race control, the place is an absolute hole - have you been there recently?

I'm worried that I've imagined the figure but my recollection is that based on the arrears that were touted around for DVLL last year the rent seemed to calculate at around £30m a year - that's a lot of track days, especially when you are already running at 4 other circuits and at Bedford - is there enough business to go around to justify the investment?

It's not just buying the lease from the Administrators, it's paying the ongoing rental, it's potentially dealing with the existing debt (depending on the deal), it's reinstating the circuit and bringing the facilities up to standard.

I really hope someone takes it on, I'd be happy if it was MSV but I wonder why they would, other than the curfew point.

They already have WTCC, DTM, Superleague etc. at Brands - the only big car meetings that don't run at Brands are FIA GT's and LMS and you couldn't run either of those at Donington without rebuilding the pit lane.
Old 19 Nov 2009, 19:34 (Ref:2585287)   #22
gary396
Veteran

United Kingdom
Northallerton
gary396 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridgary396 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Al Weyman View Post
One correction, dont forget BARC already have Pembrey as well.
And they have Croft! Although they remain fairly positive on its outlook I'm not sure they would want to take another circuit on just yet (i.e. given Croft's noisey day restrictions).
Old 19 Nov 2009, 19:53 (Ref:2585298)   #23
Steven Humphrey
Veteran

England
cambridgeshire
Steven Humphrey should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSteven Humphrey should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
the only big car meetings that don't run at Brands are FIA GT's and LMS and you couldn't run either of those at Donington without rebuilding the pit lane.
LMS ran at Donny a few years ago & was a cracking race-but I do remember a lot of the teams complaining about the cramped pit lane. I noticed on another thread that the only round of the FIA GT4 championship in Britain is scheduled for Donny & that has a big grid-does someone know something we don't?
Old 19 Nov 2009, 20:35 (Ref:2585328)   #24
Piglet
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by arnage arnie View Post
LMS ran at Donny a few years ago & was a cracking race-but I do remember a lot of the teams complaining about the cramped pit lane. I noticed on another thread that the only round of the FIA GT4 championship in Britain is scheduled for Donny & that has a big grid-does someone know something we don't?
I'm told LMS won't go back, the steps between garages are too big for prototypes and low cars plus the fuel rigs can't be secured back to the walls. It just doesn't work.
Old 20 Nov 2009, 08:45 (Ref:2585602)   #25
Happy Snapper
Veteran

Grenada
Uplyme, Lyme regis
Happy Snapper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
I'm told LMS won't go back, the steps between garages are too big for prototypes and low cars plus the fuel rigs can't be secured back to the walls. It just doesn't work.
Yes that's my understanding to, and LMS cannot (will not) go to Brands Hatch because there is not enough pit lane garages