Home  
Site Partners: Veloce Books OldRacingCars.com  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > The Chassis History Archive

Old 13 May 2010, 20:39 (Ref:2689999)   #76
Alex E
Racer

Alex E should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Jan / Conrad
There are 3 master cylinders I think, just that there is an anodised `Linder` plate behind 2 of them by the looks. That is unusual, but don`t read too much into the parts on the car with Linder on them, diff bush, steering wheel hub, etc....as they made parts for other teams. The heater pipes are not unusual, althought it is usually not the original core that is fitted, but just an alloy loop pipe to provide some heat for the drivers side demist.
Strange that it has been retro painted in Linder colours, I at first thought the paint might be original ?
Any ideas on the first paintcolour?

Alex
Old 13 May 2010, 22:07 (Ref:2690042)   #77
jan bot
Rookie

jan bot should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Alex/Conrad,
We have learned a lot today. We have traced back the car until 1992. Purple is original, car was white. Tomorrow more.
Old 14 May 2010, 07:49 (Ref:2690187)   #78
jan bot
Rookie

Yesterday was a good day
We knew the car was in the hands of Richsport or Rich motorsport in 2001-2008 in hungary. The car was yellow at the time and the driver was Miklós Polyá. Before they sold the car they respraied it in the current BMW Motorsport colours. There is a photo dokumentation of the respray on their website which still works, allthough the team itself seems to have stopped.
http://www.richsport.hu/
Polyá competed in several hillclimbs and at least one race at the hongaring.
After some searching on the name Polyá and BMW we found this great site:
http://www.euromontagna.com/makes.ph...ke=BMW&type=M3
Here we found our chassis number with a picture of a car!
http://www.euromontagna.com/chassis....I-005-91&lng=1
So chassis FI-005-91 competed, in the hands of Andreas Kövesdan, at two hungaryan hillclimbs. Kövesdan was a hungaryan BMW dealer.
The car was white at that time.
Some more searching for Polyá also reveiled this site of fönix racing in hungary:
http://www.foenixmse.hu/hu/rolunk/fonix_motorsport/
If you scroll down to 1997 and 1998 you can see a picture of Miklos Polyá driving a white M3 with purple interior. There was allready some RS sponsoring on the car, which was on our car when it was yellow.

So.
We now know the following periods of this car:
1992: Andreas Kövesdan, 2 hillclimbs in Hungary. Car was white.
1997>1998: Miklós Polyá, also hillclimbs, Fönix racing. Car was white, beginning to turn yellow.
2001>2008: Miklós Polyá, hillclimbs, hungaring, car was yellow and resprayed before selling in BMW Motorsport colours.

There are some black spots in the history and a big question is if the car was on its first outing in 1992 or that it had a life before this.

We will try to contact mister Kövesdan and hear if he knows a bit more about the car.
Old 15 May 2010, 18:48 (Ref:2691049)   #79
ian beckett
Racer

ian beckett should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hello Jan,here is the info' I can add....The car was driven by Rainer Fink in '89 in the German hillclimb series where he was class champion.It was white with 'BMW' coloured stripes on the bonnet and sides and backing from Liqui Moly and Kiebler Design and was entered by RC Allgau Kempten.It ran in the same colours in '90 but in '91 the stripes were in different positions and I suspect this may have been a newer,different car,more likely to be the one you now have.It looked to have a purple interior and also had larger Ronal wheels and full Evo kit.The car was described in German magazines as being ex-Linder and was in fact prepared by them for Fink to drive in both the German and also some Euro rounds of the hillclimb championship.I presume Kovesdan then bought the car as it appears in the same colours ,even down to the Kiebler Design sponsorship as seen in the picture on the Euromontagna website you mentioned.I do not know what became of the car from '92 to when it next appeared as the Rich Motorsport car which as you say was driven by Miklos Polya as well as Adam Polya from '01 to '04.I did not know that Rich had the car before these years.The Rich Motorsport car had a single fuel filler in the same place as on the Fink car and as you say had a purple interior.There was also a second ex-Linder race car running in hillclimbs at this time driven by Wolfgang Bohme, also prepared by Linder for him.A lot of cars passed through Team Linders hands at this time and although I know of several places where some of their cars were sold to,this chassis has never appeared to me before.Is it possible we can come up with a definite chassis number Alex? I do have some results for Fink's time in the car if you are interested Jan.What are your plans for the cars future?In what country is the car now Jan? Ian.

Last edited by ian beckett; 15 May 2010 at 18:54.
Old 16 May 2010, 10:55 (Ref:2691401)   #80
Alex E
Racer

Hi Ian,
If you are correct (& you usually are...) that the car was originally built by Linder for hillclimbs then it makes much more sense that although built in `91 it appears as an earlier shell. I have seen another one built in `92 but exactly the same body spec as Jans car. I am sure this is because BMW would still offer Group A bodies to customers for specific purposes, I think hillclimb rules were still Group A, and so a normal late shell would not comply.
Rather than tell Matter to build a legalised DTM shell, it was probably easier just to have them build it completely to old pre`90 specs. (, air jack position, fromt wishbone location, etc..
Alex
Old 16 May 2010, 19:34 (Ref:2691897)   #81
jan bot
Rookie

Hello Ian/Alex,
Many thanks for providing the missing link and all the usefull information! We bought the car without engine and gearbox. We would like to compete in the Youngtimer Trophy, for this reason we will fit a 2.3l engine in it. Hopefully it will be ready for the race at Zolder on 16-18 July or 10-12 Sept. at the Oldtimer Festival on the Nurburgring. The car is in Holland. If you find more information or pictures, please let us know! Hereby a picture of the car in its present condition.
Best regards,
Jan
Attached Thumbnails
i07kDSC09855.jpg  
Old 16 May 2010, 22:01 (Ref:2692048)   #82
David Towe
Veteran

England
Glenmore Park NSW
David Towe should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Can I ask the experts on here what they know about the 2 M3 art cars painted by Aussies, Jagamara-Nelson and Ken Done? I'm interested in the date they were taken back from BMW Australia to BMW Germany and would love to see any detailed pics during their painting process if anyone has some. I now have the M3 that Richards/Longhurst drove to 4th outright at Bathurst 87 which is also the Brock/Richards car from Bathurst 88 and am interested in the details of these cars (out of the six cars Gardner built I have 2, one more is in Melbourne, one more in NZ and the 2 art cars being the cars I have no real info on).
Thanks
David
Old 19 May 2010, 19:07 (Ref:2694260)   #83
Alex E
Racer

Hi Jan,
Good to hear you are going to use the car. I have an old ex Cecotto Schnitzer M3 in Gp A spec & race it in German Youngtimers when I can. Hope to see you maybe next year.
Where in Holland are you ? I am driving to Hamburg in a week or two if you are close I might come & take a look at your car.
Regards Alex.
Old 15 Jul 2010, 22:12 (Ref:2727320)   #84
Francesc
Rookie

Francesc should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex E View Post
Hi Jan,
Good to hear you are going to use the car. I have an old ex Cecotto Schnitzer M3 in Gp A spec & race it in German Youngtimers when I can. Hope to see you maybe next year.
Where in Holland are you ? I am driving to Hamburg in a week or two if you are close I might come & take a look at your car.
Regards Alex.
Hello
I bought a M3 2.5 Sport Evo Gr.A Winner of the 91 European Hill Climb Championship and 4 times Spanish Hill climb Championship and myself run with it in 1996-97 in Touring Car Championship. (If you want to see the pictures please visit www.francescgutierrez.com in 1996-97 gallery section). Now is in the rebuilt process because there are several magazines in Spain that want to do a report for the 25th anniversary.
I have some questions. Do you know how many M3 E30 Motorsport cars were made in total? (2.3 and 2.3 Evolution Gr.A, 2.5 Sport Evolution Gr.A and 2.5 DTM)

Also where is possible to run with it. Do you know some races in Europe?
Many thanks.
Old 8 Sep 2010, 20:14 (Ref:2756376)   #85
CLRM3
Rookie

CLRM3 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hello,
my info is BMW build 305 M3 E30 Motorsport Chassis.
Best Regards
Christian Löhr
Old 15 Sep 2010, 14:14 (Ref:2759818)   #86
CSpeed
Rookie

CSpeed should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hi, I'm a new member of this community. I'm reading it for quite some time since I'm looking for an ex-DTM E30, nwo I'm getting closer to buying one...

I heard earlier 254 original Motorsport-chassis (kits) were made? Now I hear about 305?

I know about chassis M3 11320 : it's 'inactiv' since many years and without engine and gearbox, but in rather good condition. MAIN QUESTION : can anybody tell me anything about this chassis? Is this number original? What is the history? The Matter-plate at the drivers-door is mentioning 06.89.

Any help will be much appreciated!
Old 16 Oct 2010, 04:42 (Ref:2775641)   #87
vtgts300kw
Rookie

vtgts300kw should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hi Guys,

This is a cross post from the Group A thread.

I'm trying to find out the history on a E30M3 my father raced in the early 90's in New Zealand, whether it was a JPS car etc. His name is Brett Taylor.

He doesn't remember much other than he said it came from Australia originally and they bought it in either '92 or '93.

They raced the Nissan Mobil Series and won Group A in '93 at Wellington. Prior to that race, they put a fresh engine in it which they got through Bill Byce out of Germany. Seems to remember it been about 20k for a 0 mile.

David Towe has mentioned that Jon Sax owned 2 E30's, my father raced against them in the '93 500 which would rule out the car Sax raced that year.

He vaguely recalls they ended up selling it to an Electrician in Christchurch??

Interestingly, they were trying to buy Longhurst's B&H on the weekend he crashed in '91, but couldn't agree on price. They were racing the JPS 325 that season which I think is the car currently for sale.

If anyone has any snippet of knowledge of the era, i'd be hugely appreciative.

Cheers,

Kurt
Old 29 Nov 2010, 12:17 (Ref:2797135)   #88
Francesc
Rookie

M3 1-094

Hi

I bought the M3 1-094 and I know his history after 1990 (include). Do you have any photos, records, memories before? We know this car was from SDA.

Many thanks.
Old 2 Dec 2010, 19:03 (Ref:2798750)   #89
brown dog
Racer

brown dog should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridbrown dog should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hello Francesc,
all I have is that M3 1-094 is a 1988 car, sorry I can't tell you any more about it. I had a look at your website, and was interested to see that on the 1997 gallery your car had "Pilot" sponsorship on the side. A friend of mine owns this car which is now raced in NZ;it is an ex Spanish Supertourisme 2.7 car from 1991. Can you tell me what was the connection between this sponsor and BMW M3's? (Michel Ferte??)

best regards
Conrad

Last edited by brown dog; 2 Dec 2010 at 19:12.
Old 2 Dec 2010, 22:02 (Ref:2798838)   #90
zakspeed
Rookie

France
besancon,france
zakspeed should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
dijon 1988 michel ferte et dijon 1991 michel ferté
Attached Thumbnails
dijon 1991 ferte.jpg   dijon 910010.jpg   dijon 910011.jpg  

Old 4 Dec 2010, 00:48 (Ref:2799330)   #91
Francesc
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by brown dog View Post
Hello Francesc,
all I have is that M3 1-094 is a 1988 car, sorry I can't tell you any more about it. I had a look at your website, and was interested to see that on the 1997 gallery your car had "Pilot" sponsorship on the side. A friend of mine owns this car which is now raced in NZ;it is an ex Spanish Supertourisme 2.7 car from 1991. Can you tell me what was the connection between this sponsor and BMW M3's? (Michel Ferte??)

best regards
Conrad

Hi conrad
This car raced in the Supertouring Championship in France but never in Spain because the M3's of the Spanish Touring Car Championship was 2.3 mixed Gr.N-Gr.A.
There wasn't conexion betwen Pilot Spain-France because I offered to the Pilot Marketing Director in Spain in 97 do the Sponsor of the Spanish Championship with a 320I from Riera and me. We were ok of this programm but the Championship was reduced to 4 races and finnally disappear. I raced also in one meeting of the French Touring Car Championship in Ledenon.
Michel Ferté was in Spain in 93 with the M3 SDA-SantaLucia Team and changed for Iñaqui Goiburu and 1994 with the 318is.

Do you know another 2.7 French Supertouring more near than NZ?

Best regards
Francesc
Old 4 Dec 2010, 01:29 (Ref:2799340)   #92
brown dog
Racer

brown dog should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridbrown dog should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hello Francesc,
yes you are right, it was the French Super touring championship, not Spain! This is the only 2.7 French car I know of. Pipo Moteurs built the engine, and it has a lot of their special parts on it. BTW, it is a bloody fast car! Much quicker than my 2.5 M3!

best regards
Conrad Timms
Old 9 Dec 2010, 22:03 (Ref:2802192)   #93
Francesc
Rookie

What 2.5 you have Conrad, is a Gr.A or DTM?
Old 9 Dec 2010, 23:35 (Ref:2802232)   #94
brown dog
Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Francesc View Post
What 2.5 you have Conrad, is a Gr.A or DTM?
It is a DTM spec.

Conrad
Old 12 Dec 2010, 18:22 (Ref:2803371)   #95
Francesc
Rookie

Good. If you want I'm writing for a new Spanish journal and the next number will talk exclusively about the M3 E30. We tested 2 Rally cars, my 2,5 and 2.3 Gr.A circuit and in order to complete we need a report of a DTM. If you want we can do the report of your car. We only need to go with you, do the pictures and writing about the history of your car,

If it's interesting for you Conrad please let me know and I will send my information.

Many thanks.
Old 13 Dec 2010, 08:24 (Ref:2803660)   #96
brown dog
Racer

Hello Francesc,
that might be difficult as I am in New Zealand, about as far away from Spain as it is possible to be! The car I was referring to has been sold, and my new car (also a 2.5 DTM) is in a thousand pieces, waiting for me to put it back together!

regards
Conrad
Old 13 Dec 2010, 21:39 (Ref:2804059)   #97
Francesc
Rookie

Ok Conrad, I hope you can send me photos when will be finished.
Old 13 Dec 2010, 22:18 (Ref:2804072)   #98
brown dog
Racer

Hi Francesc,
here is a picture of my car in 1993, being driven by Winkelhock at Bathurst. I am restoring it to this condition.

regards
Conrad

Old 14 Dec 2010, 03:11 (Ref:2804172)   #99
brown dog
Racer

P.S. it is chassis M3 1214107, so chassis #214.
Old 20 Dec 2010, 19:44 (Ref:2806640)   #100
Francesc
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by brown dog View Post
Hi Francesc,
here is a picture of my car in 1993, being driven by Winkelhock at Bathurst. I am restoring it to this condition.

regards
Conrad

Very nice Conrad. If it's possible take pictures of the restoration process and we will show when will be finished.

Tags
group a