Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 25 May 2001, 18:01 (Ref:96564)   #1
Liz
Veteran

Liz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridLiz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
"Language Cops" of Quebec v. Jacques' New Restaurant?

The Language Police of the Province of Quebec are aux armes at Jacques Villeneuve for naming his new restaurant/disco "Newtown" (which is the English translation of "Villeneuve"). While they admit that since the name is a trademark, they have thus no jurisdiction to compel him to change it to a French name. Nevertheless, they are gravely disappointed at his choice, apparently, to ally himself with les maudit anglais and the trend toward "Globalization and International Brand Names" (whatever that may mean).

I wonder why he didn't name it "Son of Gilles Restauarant" as that is what everyone in Quebec calls him anyway.
Old 27 May 2001, 02:21 (Ref:97094)   #2
eatapc
Veteran

eatapc should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
How's the food?

I'm less concerned with the language police than with the chef. Is the food any good? What's your favorite restaurant in Montreal? I'll be in tow with a wife and two boys, 8 and 10, so candlelight and soft music isn't on the agenda -- but then neither is a disco. The boys are used to going out to fairly good restaurants, but I need places that will allow Gameboys at the table.
Old 27 May 2001, 04:02 (Ref:97101)   #3
Jay
Veteran

United Nations
Canada
Jay should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quebec's language laws are a joke. They have absolutely no problem with McDonalds and Burger King's English signs, yet if a company from Ontario tries to expand into Quebec (e.g. Eatons), they complain bloody murder (a part of their heritage that dates back to Quebec's conquest).

While I am sure that Jacques thought it was just an interesting alternative to calling it "Villeneuve" (a very common name in Quebec), many proud Quebecers (especially separatists) see this as a slap in the face to Quebec and its culture. It may seem hard to believe for outsiders, but in Quebec Separatist's eyes Jacques is forsaking his heritage. I am sure that Jacques, having lived in Monaco most of his life does not have a clue of the implications.
"I used to hate writing, but now I enjoy it. I realized that the purpose of writing is to inflate weak ideas, obscure poor reasoning, and inhibit clarity. With a little practice, writing can be an intimidating and impenetrable fog!" - Calvin and Hobbes
Old 28 May 2001, 02:05 (Ref:97584)   #4
Liz
Veteran

Liz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridLiz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Go to Trackside and inquire of djb as to a restaurant to take the kiddies to. Jacques' Place probably would not do.

He could have called it "Pollock's Place" I guess - but that is hard to say when you are drunk, without getting into trouble of another kind.