Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 20 Dec 2010, 05:40 (Ref:2806430)   #26
rik
Veteran

rik should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henry View Post
could it be that amongst the habitual vitriol PMcK sets aside especially for the V8SuperCircus, he might - just every now and again - have a point?
Totally agree. Most of McKay's stuff is rubbish. But Cochrane should not be allowed to claim the high moral ground over taxpayer funding given the many many millions that have been poured into street circuit events by state governments and local councils.

The problem is the rest of the motorsport press are too scared to give Cochrane a slap because they're worried about losing their credentials etc..
Old 22 Dec 2010, 20:35 (Ref:2807517)   #27
redesp
Racer

Australia
Melbourne Australia...
redesp should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
OR.... was the intent of the article to use "disingenuous" in a sentence..

Maybe PmcK is just working through his "word of the day" calendar.

Can't wait for him to use Pneumonoultramicroscopicsilicovolcanokoniosis or Antidisestablishmentarianism or even TWYNDYLLYNGS (longest word without vowels)

Only Milk and Juice should come in 2 litres... ;)
Old 22 Dec 2010, 21:00 (Ref:2807525)   #28
Driver TBA
Veteran

Driver TBA should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
And people call James Phelps biased! The tripe that McKay dishes out makes Phelps's stuff look like hard hitting journalism.
This blokes has had a bee in his bonnet over the catagory since 1992, it was ramped up when the 2 litres disappeared and the loud mouthed TC appeared. Your never going to get a well balanced article from McKay.

Whenever I read some of his pieces (anything non V8 is usally very good) I can't help picturing an angry little kid running home with the bat and ball after being bowled out.
Old 22 Dec 2010, 21:08 (Ref:2807530)   #29
Woolley
Race Official
Veteran

England
Wolverhampton, England
Woolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Looking in from the outside I tend to think they all deserve each other. Sure, there's some pretty harsh articles, but when you look at Tony's pronouncements it's difficult not to rip them to shreds sometimes.

It's a bit like here, really.
Old 22 Dec 2010, 22:21 (Ref:2807547)   #30
D.R.T.
Veteran

D.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridD.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Driver TBA View Post
And people call James Phelps biased! The tripe that McKay dishes out makes Phelps's stuff look like hard hitting journalism.
You are kidding aren't you?

Whether you agree with McKay or not (would be interested to know if you disagree with his latest article) at least he is writing his own articles rather than reprinting the V8SA press releases - not sure they qualify for 'hard hitting' journalism

Last edited by D.R.T.; 22 Dec 2010 at 22:27.
Old 23 Dec 2010, 02:47 (Ref:2807595)   #31
Driver TBA
Veteran

Driver TBA should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by D.R.T. View Post
You are kidding aren't you?

Whether you agree with McKay or not (would be interested to know if you disagree with his latest article) at least he is writing his own articles rather than reprinting the V8SA press releases - not sure they qualify for 'hard hitting' journalism

Sorry D.R.T. That was a bit harsh wasn't it, it was a sarcastic remark. The point I was trying to make is both are so biased either way, your never going to get a balanced article from them. Phelps will always write about the positives, McKay the negatives.
When I see an article written by either of these blokes, I stop at the authors name, or take them with a grain of salt.

Do I disagree with his article? Yes and no.

Tony has a history of making dumb comments and this is one of them. McKay must get a bit of blood in it everytime TC opens his mouth.

No money from the Federal Government? True, his comes from State Government.

World class export? Other countries pay for the V8's to visit, teams and VESA profit from going to these countries, so it meets the export critera I guess?
Is it 'world class'? Whats the old saying....'Beauty is in the eye of the beholder'

You do have to give points to McKay for making TC sound like a goose.
Old 23 Dec 2010, 03:57 (Ref:2807605)   #32
MarkInTheStands
Racer

Australia
Lalor Park
MarkInTheStands should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
You'd have to think that considering Mr. Cochrane's sport is only slightly behind league but has the Soccer "Sleeping Giant" behind and his comments are looking after V8Supercars interests.

I find it interesting people talking about cost to build stadia and that feeding back to grass roots.

I am a member at ANZ Stadium in Sydney. The only really "Big" Stadium in the state, There is no grass roots games taking place there, trust me. I am also a Ticketed member at Parramatta Stadium. Apart from the Eels 10 games a year, there was an International game, Sydney FC game and the MotorCross. In the past Parramatta stadium used to be used for the Grand Finals of the local soccer, but not for the last few years.

Having said that, I thought it was interesting how much people in the country got upset about the $46 million spent by the FFA to try and get the World Cup. How dare we spend that much, in reality, it was $2.09 per person. HOW DARE THEY!

Now I don't know what Sydney costs the tax payer, personally I don't care, because the state budget is in surplus at last report. That and apparently the state just made $5 Billion selling off its power assets. Seriously we have the money. I am sure that D.R.T and the rest of the boys at the ARDC are already trying to court Mr O’Farrell for when he is elected in March, to give them the $90 million they want for an upgrade.

I will say this though, I loved going to Eastern Creek to watch the races, I used to love the Triple Challenge, but Eastern Creek has been making it harder and harder to watch V8s there when they were on over the final 3 years. That coupled with the ****y public facilities the crap food made it less and less enjoyable.

I have been to the last 2 Sydney events. Now not only is there racing, in an event precinct, there is an Undercover Motor Show (2 or 3 actually) plus the pit pavilions, 2 concerts, and a open area for other codes (the Rabbitohs, the Warratahs and GWS Giants all had stands out), all with far superior public transport and publicity for the event. So as a fan of V8Supercars and a Tax payer of the State, I don’t have a problem.
Old 23 Dec 2010, 05:09 (Ref:2807618)   #33
racer69
Veteran

Australia
Sydney, Australia
racer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridracer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Driver TBA View Post
it was ramped up when the 2 litres disappeared and the loud mouthed TC appeared.
I don't think McKay had much bias towards the 2-litres, infact i recall his "Inside Line" column being quite critical of both the 1998 AMP Bathurst 1000 and the 1999 Bathurst 500.

Sure there is a general negative bias to alot of his V8 words, but then again there is always generally a point to his articles. Maybe, to quote a political line, he is just "keeping the *******s honest"?
Old 26 Dec 2010, 05:27 (Ref:2808497)   #34
Henry
Veteran

Australia
hero to zero in two seconds flat
Henry should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTRMagic View Post
Sure, but is the solution to this to have a smack at the series, at the promoters, to the public at every opportunity almost suggesting that anyone who goes is getting royally screwed on some level??
well, I'm probably not qualified to answer this one... ahving come to a similar conclusion a number of seasons ago....
Old 26 Dec 2010, 22:37 (Ref:2808659)   #35
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Obviously the present didnt arrive

Old 27 Dec 2010, 00:21 (Ref:2808683)   #36
Marcos WTF
Racer

Australia
On a former RAAF airfield
Marcos WTF is a back marker
Petty and less than objective of Mackay to use adjectives like 'clumsy' and the ''V8 Supercars brains trust - a term I apply very loosely" phrase.

Childish and spoils an otherwise good, informative article.
Old 27 Dec 2010, 00:37 (Ref:2808686)   #37
porsche91722
Veteran

Australia
S.E.Qld
porsche91722 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridporsche91722 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridporsche91722 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I don't know why anyone here is aggrieved at the way Phelps or McKay report their version of the facts. The print media and talk back radio go looking for the grumpy old man style of reporter and presenter.
Same old story - Don't let the facts get in the way, put your own spin on the article, and build and maintain your media profile. Keeps them in a job!
Old 27 Dec 2010, 07:21 (Ref:2808712)   #38
Amaroo Park
Veteran

Australia
New South Wales
Amaroo Park should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by eduardo1 View Post
Peter's been on an anti-V8 crusade for 15 years. He never really got over the Super Tourers losing the 'war'. His problem is that over the years the crusade has simply become more and more fanatical.

I like Peter, know him personally and agree with a lot of what he writes. But there's no mistaking that everything V8 is written with a negative slant. He's almost like a political opposition party - argue against everything..
Couldnt agree more. I have little time for Cochroach and his band of merry lemmings sitting up there in V8 HQ on the Gold Coast. BUt there is some good things about the sport and things that need fixing