Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > North American Racing

Old 27 Aug 2014, 01:29 (Ref:3447964)   #526
jasonjessica09
Veteran

jasonjessica09 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridjasonjessica09 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by HORNDAWG View Post
It is the first year! Anyone and everyone who has paid attention, has known since day 1 it would be a hodge podge until a clean sheet rules set was developed in 2017.

L.P.
Yeah but in year 2 IMSA can make adjustments to make the show better still. One that focuses on the primary draws such as GTLM and yes the Prototypes because look how much discussion the LMP2/DP battles get. But when the 2015 schedule came out I bet the LMPC teams who plan on being around in 2015 were quite pleased. Not a good thing in my mind.
Old 27 Aug 2014, 01:34 (Ref:3447966)   #527
HORNDAWG
Veteran

United States
Oregon
HORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Land View Post
No doubt there are plenty of great drivers, and the Junqueria-Hawksworth duel at Indy was as good as anything I have seen out of TUSC this year.

The question you have to ask yourself, as does IMSA, is... Is sports car racing about the cars, or about the drivers.

If it is about the drivers is it worth the sacrifice to have the Colin Brauns, Bruno Junquerias, and Alex Taglianis of the word racing equal cars, with the trade-off, that at the start of the race their inexperienced or undertallented co-drivers will be starting sandwiched in-between both pro classes?

Personally for me, the point of watching sports cars (in NASCAR speak, "the show") is the cars, not so much the guys who drive them. With grids this year of 40-50 cars, I fail to see the need for such a class.

PC had its place in the post-2009 ALMS because of the anemic P class and struggling economy. For IMSA to move in the right direction they have to phase out the PC cars, the same goes for the Daytona Protoypes.

Unfortunately it seems they are uninterested in moving in that direction, and are content staying in a holding pattern until 2017 at least, while the checks from PC bankrollers, Daytona faithful, and Continental Tire keep rolling in.
Well I guess I will repeat it and myself again "It is the first year! Anyone and everyone who has paid attention, has known since day 1 it would be a hodge podge until a clean sheet rules set was developed in 2017. ". The reality of the plan as laid out from the beginning of bringing the 2 series together.

L.P.
Old 27 Aug 2014, 01:40 (Ref:3447968)   #528
HORNDAWG
Veteran

United States
Oregon
HORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonjessica09 View Post
Yeah but in year 2 IMSA can make adjustments to make the show better still. One that focuses on the primary draws such as GTLM and yes the Prototypes because look how much discussion the LMP2/DP battles get. But when the 2015 schedule came out I bet the LMPC teams who plan on being around in 2015 were quite pleased. Not a good thing in my mind.
Yeah, but nothing! It is what they said it would be when they announced the merger. I suggest you get used to it, as MAJOR tweaks will be lacking until the new rules are imposed.

L.P.
Old 27 Aug 2014, 01:48 (Ref:3447970)   #529
David Land
Veteran

United States
Franklin, Indiana
David Land has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Well I guess I will repeat it and myself again "It is the first year! Anyone and everyone who has paid attention, has known since day 1 it would be a hodge podge until a clean sheet rules set was developed in 2017. ". The reality of the plan as laid out from the beginning of bringing the 2 series together.

Actually, 2013 was the first year, we just had two separate series.

Perhaps they should have kept it that way until they had their together in 2017 or beyond.
Old 27 Aug 2014, 02:27 (Ref:3447978)   #530
jasonjessica09
Veteran

jasonjessica09 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridjasonjessica09 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Yeah, but nothing! It is what they said it would be when they announced the merger. I suggest you get used to it, as MAJOR tweaks will be lacking until the new rules are imposed.

L.P.
GT3 coming in 2016 is a major and positive change. Also they can keep LMPC around, just dont schedule races so that they run interference with GTLM for most of the season. But not in 2015 I suppose.
Old 27 Aug 2014, 02:42 (Ref:3447979)   #531
Gulf
Racer

Gulf should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Purist View Post
At some point, the series MUST progress, and this process isn't going to be painless. If they won't give PC the message, the series can NEVER improve.

Why is this? It's because, with them, the grids at the endurance races are maxed out. The AMs, especially, make their seasons with those races. So, if there can't be any growth in the grids at those races, something HAS TO give. In order for there to be ANY more Prototypes, GTLMs, OR GTDs, EVER, it will REQUIRE a loss of PCs. There's just NO WAY around that fact.

Hey, I'm not the one who made this a limited good, by capping the grids where they have been. IMSA did that to themselves. I realize there certainly are practical limits to field sizes at the various tracks, but there NEEDS to be the possibility for forward movement. Without change, which will inevitably cost somebody, that movement CAN'T occur.

Nascar doesn't believe in progress. They stuck their head in the sand and kept DPs in Ga for 10 years while failing to attack fans and teams they didn't have to pay to race. I have no faith in 2017 (already pushed back a year) Daytona will run out the P2s and keep DPs. We will end up with 20 year old DPs running around, by then their "tech" will be 50 years old lmao.
Old 27 Aug 2014, 03:35 (Ref:3447986)   #532
Purist
Veteran

United States
Wichita, Kansas, USA
Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!
We've been in "transition years" since the end of 2008, Dawg! I don't need you repeating Scott Atherton's lines for him.

They can make noticeable, if somewhat incremental, improvements in the space of a year. Lord knows, they've been working on it for TWO!

And with NASCAR's resources, there is LESS excuse for a lack of results than ever! I believe there's a word for people who can't get results: incompetent.

Yes, I've read your comments. Um, wasn't this "clean sheet" supposed to come in 2016? What happened? (That was a rhetorical question, btw.)

Yes, Gulf, but I guess I was maybe hoping that their desire to actually make money off a commercially viable series would outweigh some other things. Who knew? I guess they DON'T mind flushing tens of millions of dollars. They've got more in common with a certain Indiana institution than I thought!
Old 27 Aug 2014, 04:04 (Ref:3447989)   #533
Gulf
Racer

Gulf should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Purist View Post
We've been in "transition years" since the end of 2008, Dawg! I don't need you repeating Scott Atherton's lines for him.

They can make noticeable, if somewhat incremental, improvements in the space of a year. Lord knows, they've been working on it for TWO!

And with NASCAR's resources, there is LESS excuse for a lack of results than ever! I believe there's a word for people who can't get results: incompetent.

Yes, I've read your comments. Um, wasn't this "clean sheet" supposed to come in 2016? What happened? (That was a rhetorical question, btw.)

Yes, Gulf, but I guess I was maybe hoping that their desire to actually make money off a commercially viable series would outweigh some other things. Who knew? I guess they DON'T mind flushing tens of millions of dollars. They've got more in common with a certain Indiana institution than I thought!
Their desire to play God and alway be right is greater than their desire to make money, They already have money.
Old 27 Aug 2014, 04:31 (Ref:3447992)   #534
Deleted
Veteran

Deleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame

NASCAR is the most powerful power the North American motorsports have ever seen, but you people wield it like a kid that found his dad’s gun. I’ll tell you the problem with the unpopular power that is being using here. It didn’t acquire any discipline to attain it. You didn't want to hear what public wanted and instead just retained the status quo with mismash of unpopular cars for X years. You didn’t earn the trust yourself so therefore you don’t take want to receive any constructive feedback of it. You paid as little attention to economics and realities of sportscar racing as possible to accomplish something as fast as you could and before you even knew it you had it. You patented it and packaged it and slapped it on a plastic lunch box, and now your selling it! You wanna sell it! Well, your marketing people were so preoccupied with whether or not they could they didn’t stop if they should. And no, this is not some category that had been dying out because of natural causes. Grand-Am styled sportscar racing had it's shot and fans selected it for extinction.
Old 27 Aug 2014, 07:30 (Ref:3448021)   #535
Speed-King
Veteran

Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chiana View Post

NASCAR is the most powerful power the North American motorsports have ever seen, but you people wield it like a kid that found his dad’s gun. I’ll tell you the problem with the unpopular power that is being using here. It didn’t acquire any discipline to attain it. You didn't want to hear what public wanted and instead just retained the status quo with mismash of unpopular cars for X years. You didn’t earn the trust yourself so therefore you don’t take want to receive any constructive feedback of it. You paid as little attention to economics and realities of sportscar racing as possible to accomplish something as fast as you could and before you even knew it you had it. You patented it and packaged it and slapped it on a plastic lunch box, and now your selling it! You wanna sell it! Well, your marketing people were so preoccupied with whether or not they could they didn’t stop if they should. And no, this is not some category that had been dying out because of natural causes. Grand-Am styled sportscar racing had it's shot and fans selected it for extinction.
LMAO!!

Even though I actually liked Grand Am for what it was...
Old 27 Aug 2014, 10:33 (Ref:3448072)   #536
Deleted
Veteran

Deleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
^ I did actually re-wrote the entire part of Malcolm's dialogue @ lunch room scene last winter but never published it. Here you go

ATHERTON
None of the details have been finished yet of course. The season will start with the Rolex 24 at Daytona, where the LMP2 and DP cars will duke it out together. Absolutely spectacular designs. Spared no expense.

BENNETT

And we can do whatever we want! Have more green white checkers, more free lap wave bys, and people will love it! And then there's the Balance of Performance which I personally I...

ATHERTON

Ed, this championship will not be built only for the Grand-Am people. People from both series have the right to enjoy this unification.

BENNETT

Sure they will, they will... let's pretend that as long as we can.

ATHERTON / BENNETT

*laughing*

SPORTSCAR RACING FAN
The total lack of respect that's been displayed here staggers me.

BENNETT

Thank you, mister whatever-you're-doing-in-our-board-meeting, but I think things are a little different than most of you maybe had thought.

SPORTSCAR RACING FAN

Yes, I know. They're a lot worse.

BENNETT

Now, wait a second, we haven't even seen the first race yet. Let's just hold out concerns until - -

ATHERTON

No no no, let him talk. I want to hear all viewpoints. I really do.

SPORTSCAR RACING FAN

Don't you see the danger, Scott and Ed and others, inherent in what you're doing here? NASCAR is the most powerful power the North American motorsports have ever seen, but you people wield it like a kid that found his dad’s gun.

BENNETT

It's hardly appropriate to start hurling...

SPORTSCAR RACING FAN
Excuse me, If I may... I’ll tell you the problem with the unpopular power that is being using here. It didn’t acquire any discipline to attain it. You didn't want to hear what public wanted and instead just retained the status quo with mismash of unpopular cars for X years. You didn’t earn the trust yourself so therefore you don’t take want to receive any constructive feedback of it. You paid as little attention to economics and realities of sportscar racing as possible to accomplish something as fast as you could and before you even knew it you had it. You patented it and packaged it and slapped it on a plastic lunch box, and now your selling it! You wanna sell it!

ATHERTON
You don't give us our due credit. We have done something no one thought could ever happen.

SPORTSCAR RACING FAN

Yeah, yeah but your marketing people were so preoccupied with whether or not they could they didn’t stop to think if they should!

ATHERTON

GT1s. GT1s have been extinct for some time now - - if we had resurrected a fleet of GT1s and raced them, you wouldn't have anything to say at all!

SPORTSCAR RACING FAN

No hold on - - this is not some category that had been dying out because of natural causes. Grand-Am styled sportscar racing had it's shot and fans selected it for extinction.

ATHERTON

I simply don't understand this attitude, especially from a racing fan. I mean how could we stand at the edge of having unified series and not act?

SPORTSCAR RACING FAN
What's so great about unification if the unification is handled this way? What you're presenting here is a violent, penetrative act that scars what it explores. What you call unification I call the downgrade of North American sportscar racing.

Last edited by Deleted; 27 Aug 2014 at 10:43.
Old 27 Aug 2014, 13:21 (Ref:3448144)   #537
HJJ
Veteran

United States
Hoschburg, just outside of Brasleburg.
HJJ should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHJJ should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHJJ should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
http://sportscar365.com/imsa/tusc/de...ctory-program/
Old 27 Aug 2014, 13:35 (Ref:3448149)   #538
Deleted
Veteran

Maybe it's just me but Paretta seemed to have more confidence in June
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JPomXFxw2cs
Old 27 Aug 2014, 13:49 (Ref:3448158)   #539
joeb
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Baton Rouge, LA
joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Sounds like they are seriously evaluating other options. Interesting that this piece comes out just when IMSA is evaluating the GT BOP for the last two races.... Coincidence?
Old 27 Aug 2014, 14:14 (Ref:3448168)   #540
seanyb505
Veteran

United States
Simpsonville, SC
seanyb505 is going for a new world record!seanyb505 is going for a new world record!seanyb505 is going for a new world record!seanyb505 is going for a new world record!seanyb505 is going for a new world record!seanyb505 is going for a new world record!seanyb505 is going for a new world record!
Yeah I think it's coincidence. Article says most corporate decisions are evaluated around Sept-Oct timeframe. I doubt TUSC needs a 365 piece to be informed of a manufacturer's intentions.

I wouldn't exactly be surprised to see the program shut down, or just go to WEC to reach that "global" customer base they are looking for. I'd say 40% they shut down, 31% WEC and 29% continue with TUSC. With their relative success in the category so far, you would expect the street sales to reflect that. Currently, 3 ticks behind Corvette in points isn't translating to sales. Probably time for a change, at least from a corporate perspective.
Old 27 Aug 2014, 14:19 (Ref:3448169)   #541
Deleted
Veteran

I'd say

79,99% USCC
00,01% WEC
20,00% bye bye

Kinda have to agree with joeb's point
Old 27 Aug 2014, 14:27 (Ref:3448173)   #542
Coach Ep
Veteran

Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!
I hope the Viper factory program continues, the cars are too cool to loose - especially in their current livery!

Any idea if we could see Aston Martin return to the series next year?

Also I hope Krohn to make an announcement about their expected P2 Ligier effort for next year (could be WEC as well of course).
Old 27 Aug 2014, 14:34 (Ref:3448175)   #543
Deleted
Veteran

AMR budgets are even lower than Viper's...

They only re-participate if they get ultra-favoring BoP for their poor grannymobile anyways, as proven by NA visits of recent years

Last edited by Deleted; 27 Aug 2014 at 14:47.
Old 27 Aug 2014, 15:02 (Ref:3448179)   #544
JLGarcia
Racer

JLGarcia should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridJLGarcia should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Must not be watching the same series. TUSC, PC, has lots of experienced shoes driving in it!
Many of whom have driven quite poorly. The online vilification of Gentlemen PC Drivers has been rather humorous.
Old 27 Aug 2014, 15:10 (Ref:3448184)   #545
HORNDAWG
Veteran

United States
Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by JLGarcia View Post
Many of whom have driven quite poorly. The online vilification of Gentlemen PC Drivers has been rather humorous.
Yes, and yes!

L.P.
Old 27 Aug 2014, 17:16 (Ref:3448233)   #546
David Land
Veteran

United States
Franklin, Indiana
David Land has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
30-60 days huh? Interesting... wonder if this has anything to do with it?

http://motorsportstalk.nbcsports.com...-know-shortly/
Old 27 Aug 2014, 20:01 (Ref:3448286)   #547
Lagunaseca_4life
Veteran

United States
Central Valley CA
Lagunaseca_4life should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridLagunaseca_4life should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chiana View Post
^ I did actually re-wrote the entire part of Malcolm's dialogue @ lunch room scene last winter but never published it. Here you go

ATHERTON
None of the details have been finished yet of course. The season will start with the Rolex 24 at Daytona, where the LMP2 and DP cars will duke it out together. Absolutely spectacular designs. Spared no expense.

BENNETT

And we can do whatever we want! Have more green white checkers, more free lap wave bys, and people will love it! And then there's the Balance of Performance which I personally I...

ATHERTON

Ed, this championship will not be built only for the Grand-Am people. People from both series have the right to enjoy this unification.

BENNETT

Sure they will, they will... let's pretend that as long as we can.

ATHERTON / BENNETT

*laughing*

SPORTSCAR RACING FAN
The total lack of respect that's been displayed here staggers me.

BENNETT

Thank you, mister whatever-you're-doing-in-our-board-meeting, but I think things are a little different than most of you maybe had thought.

SPORTSCAR RACING FAN

Yes, I know. They're a lot worse.

BENNETT

Now, wait a second, we haven't even seen the first race yet. Let's just hold out concerns until - -

ATHERTON

No no no, let him talk. I want to hear all viewpoints. I really do.

SPORTSCAR RACING FAN

Don't you see the danger, Scott and Ed and others, inherent in what you're doing here? NASCAR is the most powerful power the North American motorsports have ever seen, but you people wield it like a kid that found his dad’s gun.

BENNETT

It's hardly appropriate to start hurling...

SPORTSCAR RACING FAN
Excuse me, If I may... I’ll tell you the problem with the unpopular power that is being using here. It didn’t acquire any discipline to attain it. You didn't want to hear what public wanted and instead just retained the status quo with mismash of unpopular cars for X years. You didn’t earn the trust yourself so therefore you don’t take want to receive any constructive feedback of it. You paid as little attention to economics and realities of sportscar racing as possible to accomplish something as fast as you could and before you even knew it you had it. You patented it and packaged it and slapped it on a plastic lunch box, and now your selling it! You wanna sell it!

ATHERTON
You don't give us our due credit. We have done something no one thought could ever happen.

SPORTSCAR RACING FAN

Yeah, yeah but your marketing people were so preoccupied with whether or not they could they didn’t stop to think if they should!

ATHERTON

GT1s. GT1s have been extinct for some time now - - if we had resurrected a fleet of GT1s and raced them, you wouldn't have anything to say at all!

SPORTSCAR RACING FAN

No hold on - - this is not some category that had been dying out because of natural causes. Grand-Am styled sportscar racing had it's shot and fans selected it for extinction.

ATHERTON

I simply don't understand this attitude, especially from a racing fan. I mean how could we stand at the edge of having unified series and not act?

SPORTSCAR RACING FAN
What's so great about unification if the unification is handled this way? What you're presenting here is a violent, penetrative act that scars what it explores. What you call unification I call the downgrade of North American sportscar racing.
AWESOME!!

What a great way to reincarnate my favorite child hood movie.love it!

Old 27 Aug 2014, 20:16 (Ref:3448288)   #548
Deleted
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lagunaseca_4life View Post
What a great way to reincarnate my favorite child hood movie.love it!
Still my second favourite film of all time

Btw I know this is very off but since we've mentioned JP and I haven't done this anywhere else on Web, I just wanna say RIP 'Dickie' Attenborough.
Old 28 Aug 2014, 03:57 (Ref:3448379)   #549
Breitling24
Veteran

Breitling24 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridBreitling24 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Land View Post
30-60 days huh? Interesting... wonder if this has anything to do with it?

http://motorsportstalk.nbcsports.com...-know-shortly/
What's probably more behind it, is what was discussed somewhere here months ago... an extreme lack of street car sales. If they withdraw, it won't be a surprise. Sad, but not a surprise.

"Travel makes a wise man better, and a fool worse." Thomas Fuller
Old 28 Aug 2014, 06:31 (Ref:3448404)   #550
TF110
Veteran

United States
TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!
Dodge/ SRT evaluates their programs the same time every year. Theres no reason to think the GTE is in trouble especially when earlier they were speaking of expanding to the wec with a customer car. Not only that, but this evaluation is for all racing programs. Theyre 3 points out the lead for drivers titles, I think theyre making a good case for staying. Plus theres rumors of a more potent Viper to elevate it above the new 'hellcat' line in terms of power.