Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > North American Racing

Old 1 Oct 2014, 23:44 (Ref:3459335)   #801
joeb
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Baton Rouge, LA
joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I think Mike gets a lot of grief he doesn't deserve on these boards. Yes he looks out for his interests, but don't we all? As a team owner that is actually his job. How many other DP team owners are even regularly quoted in news stories? Not many, that is why Mike stands out.
Old 2 Oct 2014, 00:23 (Ref:3459344)   #802
Maelochs
Veteran

Maelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Having lurked on a lot of forums, I can say as a self-proclaimed expert that no forum poster anywhere ever has said anything like "I just want these people to speak their minds, uncensored, instead of serving up corporate swill and PR puffery," and then condemned the speaker for not saying exactly what the poster wanted to here.

Just never happens, never has, never will.

I'd say more P2s in TUSC in 2015 is like ESM in P2 in 2014--it helped push the line back so DPs, and in this case real p2s, have a better chance of existing in the future.

I don't see Starworks and Shank buying P2 cars for just two seasons--they must expect either to be grandfathered or actually admitted in 2017 at least.

Still the series could go with genericars for 2017 and just grandfather current P2s ... but I don't want to be negative now, I have a long drive ahead of me.

Bravo, Mike Shank if you choose to join the P2 brigades. And don't worry, you can always sell that DP ... I am sure the demand is high all over.
Old 2 Oct 2014, 02:38 (Ref:3459367)   #803
jasonjessica09
Veteran

jasonjessica09 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridjasonjessica09 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maelochs View Post
Having lurked on a lot of forums, I can say as a self-proclaimed expert that no forum poster anywhere ever has said anything like "I just want these people to speak their minds, uncensored, instead of serving up corporate swill and PR puffery," and then condemned the speaker for not saying exactly what the poster wanted to here.

Just never happens, never has, never will.

I'd say more P2s in TUSC in 2015 is like ESM in P2 in 2014--it helped push the line back so DPs, and in this case real p2s, have a better chance of existing in the future.

I don't see Starworks and Shank buying P2 cars for just two seasons--they must expect either to be grandfathered or actually admitted in 2017 at least.

Still the series could go with genericars for 2017 and just grandfather current P2s ... but I don't want to be negative now, I have a long drive ahead of me.

Bravo, Mike Shank if you choose to join the P2 brigades. And don't worry, you can always sell that DP ... I am sure the demand is high all over.
I just don't buy the idea of Shank going to a LMP2 car whatsoever. I see him running the same car as now at Daytona. The Starworks-HPD link I think is a bit more credible albiet maybe just for 1 car not 2. That has a shot of happening I am guessing. Same for the idea of an 8Star-Oak alliance.
Old 2 Oct 2014, 05:16 (Ref:3459385)   #804
Maelochs
Veteran

Maelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Dude, I am trying as hard as I can to be hopeful. No reality just now, please ....
Old 2 Oct 2014, 07:12 (Ref:3459413)   #805
Maelochs
Veteran

DTM/Super GT Class One—P2’s Future?
http://www.racer.com/latest-stories/...urbos-for-2017

Here’s an interesting story: DTM and Japan’s Super GT series, which already share a common chassis and aero specs, will move to a 600 bhp turbo four-cylinder for 2017—possibly presaging where TUSC plans or hopes to go with its P2 regs.

The article explicitly states these regs “will also be used by IMSA in the U.S. “

According to Werner Aufrecht, (some head of something) "The agreement between the leading car manufacturers in Germany and Japan is an important milestone on the way to a set of joint, globally implemented Class One regulations. It's up to the manufacturers to decide if they want to let their Class One vehicle race at Suzuka today, at the Nurburgring next week and at Daytona in a fortnight. (Emphasis added.)

I know NASCAR/IMSA wanted to create an American “DTM” series (seeing as DTM is basically Germany’s NASCAR, with spec chassis and 4-liter V8s) and those always-important (to manufacturers) “styling cues.”

This could be how they plan to get it all to work out—turn P2 into a front-engined spec-chassis coupe class with grille and headlight decals imitating road cars, to hopefully pull in more teams with the lure of potential international competition.

With German and Japanese manufacturers already on board with the new spec for 2017, this might be an easy sell—and if TUSC can’t sell it maybe they will drop P2 altogether and just run the “Class One” cars as the top class.

I can’t see a separate American Touring Masters series working, if TUSC isn’t working, but NASCAR could be planning to go that route, I don’t know.
Old 2 Oct 2014, 07:58 (Ref:3459419)   #806
BullMan
Veteran

BullMan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:

Here’s an interesting story: DTM and Japan’s Super GT series, which already share a common chassis and aero specs, will move to a 600 bhp turbo four-cylinder for 2017—possibly presaging where TUSC plans or hopes to go with its P2 regs.

The article explicitly states these regs “will also be used by IMSA in the U.S. “

According to Werner Aufrecht, (some head of something) "The agreement between the leading car manufacturers in Germany and Japan is an important milestone on the way to a set of joint, globally implemented Class One regulations. It's up to the manufacturers to decide if they want to let their Class One vehicle race at Suzuka today, at the Nurburgring next week and at Daytona in a fortnight. (Emphasis added.)

I know NASCAR/IMSA wanted to create an American “DTM” series (seeing as DTM is basically Germany’s NASCAR, with spec chassis and 4-liter V8s) and those always-important (to manufacturers) “styling cues.”

This could be how they plan to get it all to work out—turn P2 into a front-engined spec-chassis coupe class with grille and headlight decals imitating road cars, to hopefully pull in more teams with the lure of potential international competition.

With German and Japanese manufacturers already on board with the new spec for 2017, this might be an easy sell—and if TUSC can’t sell it maybe they will drop P2 altogether and just run the “Class One” cars as the top class.

I can’t see a separate American Touring Masters series working, if TUSC isn’t working, but NASCAR could be planning to go that route, I don’t know.
Shank will be in a P2 before we ever see this series materialize in any form.
Old 2 Oct 2014, 08:55 (Ref:3459438)   #807
MagVanisher
Veteran

MagVanisher should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridMagVanisher should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by C6R Racing Fan View Post
Radio LeMans back for 2015 in TUSC/Tudor/IMSA.

http://sportscar365.com/imsa/tusc/im...indhaugh-shaw/
Thank goodness, that was the best news I've ever heard! No more MRN commentators spewing how great NASCAR is at a TUSC race!

Meanwhile, I hope Ford can fit the bill on both MSR and CGR when it comes to bringing their Ecoboost V6 to P2. Question is, will it be Ligier, Zytek (Gibson), or Dome?
Old 2 Oct 2014, 11:11 (Ref:3459480)   #808
Pontlieue
Racer

Pontlieue should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridPontlieue should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by MagVanisher View Post
Thank goodness, that was the best news I've ever heard! No more MRN commentators spewing how great NASCAR is at a TUSC race!

Meanwhile, I hope Ford can fit the bill on both MSR and CGR when it comes to bringing their Ecoboost V6 to P2. Question is, will it be Ligier, Zytek (Gibson), or Dome?
I think Ligier would be the preferred option. Of the P2 coupes it is the only one that has raced so far (not counting the Lotus LMP2). Dome had lots of issues this season, The Oreca 05 won't be ready in time for Daytona, the Gibson won't be available before 2016 or late 2015, and I don't think you can put a Ford engine into the new HPD.
Old 2 Oct 2014, 14:38 (Ref:3459545)   #809
Coach Ep
Veteran

Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!
How about Riley? Developed in 2015, officially introduced at Cota towards the end of the year, race debut at Petit and ready to win at Daytona 2016. All with a bit of Ford money of course.
Old 3 Oct 2014, 01:11 (Ref:3459689)   #810
DistortedSmile
Racer

Spain
DistortedSmile should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDistortedSmile should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDistortedSmile should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:

I see a lot of people only focusing on DTM and assuming that's why it would be crap whenever this gets brought up, I was also very skeptical when SuperGT announced they would use the same regs but the series is still awesome and has great racing, GT500 also allows more freedom than DTM and they're much faster (faster than last year's Rebellion actually).
Naturally I would prefer LMP1 as the top class, but I'd take GT500 style cars over cost capped P2s and DPs any day.

Quote:
...into a front-engined...
They can be mid engined too:
Old 3 Oct 2014, 02:19 (Ref:3459698)   #811
MagVanisher
Veteran

MagVanisher should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridMagVanisher should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I agree, DistortedSmile. Even though Super GT got DTM's rules, they got better racing than those from Germany. The only I don't like is not opening the engine regulations a bit as it needs more variety.
Old 3 Oct 2014, 04:55 (Ref:3459717)   #812
TF110
Veteran

United States
TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!
They have had the same engine type for nearly a decade in gt500. The thing about that class is the cars are recognizeably different from eachother. DTM has differences, but nowhere as noticeable as the RC F, GTR and NSX. If they opened up aero development and ran those Fuji spec wings, itd go a long way imo.
Old 3 Oct 2014, 09:55 (Ref:3459773)   #813
Fogelhund
Veteran

Canada
Binbrook, ON Canada
Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!
More Silhouette Car BS.
Old 3 Oct 2014, 12:33 (Ref:3459801)   #814
MagVanisher
Veteran

You know, it would be better if the series have both ACO-style prototypes with DTM/Super GT silhouette cars. Oh yeah, and add the Deltawing.

General Motors can go with the latter, while Ford and the rest would go on the former. Also, if the GTA convinced ACO to add their Super GT cars to Le Mans, silhouette cars can race there.
Old 3 Oct 2014, 14:52 (Ref:3459838)   #815
Coach Ep
Veteran

Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!
More fuel to the fire:

Quote:
There appears to be a very serious wave of discontent in the GTD class. On track, it looks OK, depending on who you speak with, but off track – don’t ask. It is very caustic right now. There is a significant list of teams that may not return next season, for various reasons. For some, it is the BOP, but for others race officiating is a big deal.
Plus the rest of the story - from GB Autosport's perspective:

http://www.dailysportscar.com/2014/1...ice-notes.html
Old 3 Oct 2014, 15:10 (Ref:3459844)   #816
Speed-King
Veteran

Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!
Not saying he's wong, but Gary Horrocks seems awfully focused on the negatives - according to Hindy on this week's MWM the mood in the paddock at COTA was much improved vs earlier races this season ....
Old 3 Oct 2014, 15:21 (Ref:3459847)   #817
Coach Ep
Veteran

MWM was referring to Laguna vs. CotA, it's also overall vs. GTD.

Meanwhile it seems IMSA is trying to 'fix' their FCY issues:

http://sportscar365.com/imsa/ctscc/b...ge-everything/

On the other hand: clearly they haven't fixed their officiating issues as CotA saw 'the return of Daytona & Sebring ghosts' when it came to addressing contact incidents so that continues to be one of the major headaches for this series. It certainly doesn't help convincing teams to stay in the series as they're trying to figure out next year's program...
Old 3 Oct 2014, 16:21 (Ref:3459862)   #818
Fogelhund
Veteran

Canada
Binbrook, ON Canada
Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!
Keep in mind Horrocks is independent, and Hindy is now an employee.
Old 3 Oct 2014, 16:29 (Ref:3459863)   #819
FstrthnU
Veteran

United States
FstrthnU should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridFstrthnU should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridFstrthnU should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
http://sportscar365.com/imsa/tusc/te...urns-for-2015/
Team Seattle-AJR returns for 2015 in GTD, I think it's safe to say that the main AJR is also returning.
Old 3 Oct 2014, 18:58 (Ref:3459910)   #820
Deleted
Veteran

Deleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by TF110 View Post
The thing about that class is the cars are recognizeably different from eachother. DTM has differences, but nowhere as noticeable as the RC F, GTR and NSX.
TBH I can instantly recognize the Honda, but Nissan and Lexus look kinda too bland to separate in a heartbeat. But anyway they do have more brand identity than the boring German cousins
Old 3 Oct 2014, 19:31 (Ref:3459916)   #821
TF110
Veteran

United States
TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!
The cars are easily distinguishable imo. You cant miss the big "L" in the middle!

I dont think they should replace lmp2 or DP, but be a model of what could be done with 'brand identity'.
Old 3 Oct 2014, 19:35 (Ref:3459918)   #822
Simmi
Veteran

United Kingdom
Simmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
It's not too bad but they have moved closer to each other visually this year.

But with the combination of development, a tyre war, endurance and multi-class racing it utterly destroys DTM in terms of entertainment.
Old 3 Oct 2014, 20:13 (Ref:3459940)   #823
Purist
Veteran

United States
Wichita, Kansas, USA
Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!
I don't know, TF110. After the first few laps, I just about have to pause the video to double-check to be certain which is which. They all have that large, black region, front and center. If you don't have direct sunlight hitting the details on the front, it's tough for me to tell them apart. And no, I need a still shot, and/or my magnifying glass, to be sure I'm reading an "L" on the front of the Lexus.

On the back of the Nissans, the rear bodywork on either side of the venturis doesn't wrap around like on the Lexus or Acura, so that helps a little.
Old 3 Oct 2014, 20:18 (Ref:3459942)   #824
tjh8402
Rookie

United States
Orlando, Fl
tjh8402 has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:

Thanks. this would be the one thing that actually makes me want to keep the DPs...
Old 3 Oct 2014, 20:21 (Ref:3459943)   #825
Deleted
Veteran

Deleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I've been watching Super GT in 720p and I hadn't even noticed the L in Lexus until now

They all look utter crap in comparison to last years GT500, now you have glorified taxi cabs instead of mean looking GT1 esques. (Real) GT300s look fabulous in comparison. But anyway as I said elsewhere they're perfectly fine for me otherwise, they still race great and have fabulous performance helped by the hybrids and non-spec tires