Old 5 Nov 2002, 14:05 (Ref:422172)   #1
Gonfra
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Racer

United Nations
International Man of Mystery
Gonfra should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Got your copy yet??

Latest issue of "The Marshal incorporating Rescue and Resuscitaion published for medical personnel,rescue crews and marshals involved in motorsport" has arrived....The following came to my attention....
Page 2 Museum Pieces
Aqua Book and Space Pen - that's a good idea
Travel Kettle ??? Mr Brand eat your heart out!!!

Page 3 How To Do First Aid

Mmmmm some interesting points here - comments please

Page 6 The Danger of Wearing an Anorak

Observers and Flags please take note of the final paragraph "discussion" Quote: The loss of visual fields caused by anorak-wearing in this study will be even more pronounced in real life when individuals walk in the rain with their heads ducked down..unquote....errrr really

Page 11

Likes and Dislikes
As the sample for this survey was mainly from our rally colleagues, how do the results compare with what has already been discussed on these pages?

Page 15
Top Left column,2nd half of the "vehicle Recovery" article

quote:...generally speaking when pulling a car out of an arrestor bed ......???? since when have we called a gravel trap an arrestor bed???

All Comments most welcome and open for general discussion
Old 5 Nov 2002, 14:13 (Ref:422177)   #2
Stephen Green
Race Official
Veteran

England
Faversham, Kent
Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!
I got the same publication through the post last night, gave it a cursory glance, wondered what the hell it was supposed to achieve and binned it!
Old 5 Nov 2002, 14:20 (Ref:422181)   #3
Teletubby
Veteran

England
Hampshire
Teletubby should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridTeletubby should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
It used to be 'Rescue and Resuscitation' but has widened it's audience to all Marshals. I think in some ways it has been an improvement but in others it's diluted the content and I suspect that quite a few people will have similar feelings. Me? Well i'm sad enough to have read it and thought that most of it was quite interesting.
Old 5 Nov 2002, 14:35 (Ref:422189)   #4
TwoSheds
Veteran

England
Farnborough, UK
TwoSheds should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridTwoSheds should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Got my copy yesterday.

This is the second issue I've received. With the first one I got a covering letter explaining the aims of the publication and the idea behind sending it to marshals as well as medical and rescue personnel.
Old 5 Nov 2002, 15:05 (Ref:422199)   #5
EvilPumpkin
CCNA
Royalridge Computing
A LARGE Teapot
Veteran

Ireland
EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!
Where does one get a copy of such a document?
Old 5 Nov 2002, 15:37 (Ref:422213)   #6
Gonfra
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Racer

United Nations
International Man of Mystery
Gonfra should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
EP This is sent out to Marshals and crew by the Motorsport Safety Fund
Po Box 239
West Malling
Kent
ME19 4BL
www.ukmotorsport.com/msf
Old 5 Nov 2002, 16:00 (Ref:422225)   #7
paul.hickman
Racer

United States
uk, mallorca & florida...
paul.hickman should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Stephen - strange - I did exactly the same thing.....!
Old 5 Nov 2002, 16:56 (Ref:422271)   #8
EvilPumpkin
CCNA
Royalridge Computing
A LARGE Teapot
Veteran

Ireland
EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!
ooh the motorsport safety fund - must get in their mailing list actually - particularly as the ubiquitous MagnetON is going to be starring in their next training vid!
Old 5 Nov 2002, 17:06 (Ref:422280)   #9
Stoowert
Veteran

Zimbabwe
Caterham, Surrey
Stoowert should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

Got it, Read it! Laughed! Binned it!
I think we ought to press for annoraks to be outlawed. Thereby, forcing the circuits to construct proper marshal's huts that actually DO something!
I thought an arrestor bed was a copper's put-you-up!
Old 5 Nov 2002, 18:25 (Ref:422346)   #10
pinki
Racer

United Kingdom
Kent, England
pinki should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I read through it and thought ..... mmmm, why don't they actually put something in there worth reading and then filed it with my GP application
Old 5 Nov 2002, 18:51 (Ref:422377)   #11
QuickBrownFox
Racer

United Kingdom
Hailsham, East Sussex
QuickBrownFox should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Re: Got your copy yet??

Quote:
Originally posted by Gonfra
Page 6 The Danger of Wearing an Anorak

Observers and Flags please take note of the final paragraph "discussion" Quote: The loss of visual fields caused by anorak-wearing in this study will be even more pronounced in real life when individuals walk in the rain with their heads ducked down..unquote....errrr really
I got this far, read the article out to my wife, and then gave as I was p***ing myself.
However, there is a bit of a more serious side to it, and whilst I(we) may mock this article, it's nice to have a little insight into the medical side of marshalling.

And it did contain details of the BMMC 2003 training dates.
Old 5 Nov 2002, 19:08 (Ref:422397)   #12
Richard Sneader
Veteran

Scotland
Grays, Essex
Richard Sneader should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I recieved my copy as well. I do have an interest in the medical side but alot of it was!. I did notice on the training day list there was no IO training for 2003 anywere.
Rich S.
Old 6 Nov 2002, 00:08 (Ref:422639)   #13
Woolley
Race Official
Veteran

England
Wolverhampton, England
Woolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Let's not be too harsh - at least someone's remembered we're there and got in touch. Some of it was fun - the first aid bit was a good laugh - and most of it seems to be rally orientated, but at least it's some communication. If you don't like the content or have some suggestions, give them some feedback, and who knows, it might just turn into what we do need?
Old 6 Nov 2002, 01:43 (Ref:422671)   #14
ss_collins
Veteran

Nigeria
Mooresville, NC
ss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
As a fairly frequent rally marshal - I'm wondering how many of the other regular yellow tabard wearers in my club have got a copy? Cos I havn't and I'm on the club comittee.
Old 6 Nov 2002, 08:05 (Ref:422759)   #15
Stephen Green
Race Official
Veteran

England
Faversham, Kent
Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!
I noticed that one of the editors was Dr Andy Mallins. Is that 'the' Andy Mallins of Brands and Post 3 fame?

Wooley that's a good idea, if we don't give feed back then the organisers of the publication can't change it to suit the majority. Shame I binned mine now *frowns*
Old 6 Nov 2002, 08:43 (Ref:422773)   #16
EvilPumpkin
CCNA
Royalridge Computing
A LARGE Teapot
Veteran

Ireland
Well Teletubby is sending me a copy - and I'll pass it round the rest of the Oirish reprobates!

Thanks TT
Old 6 Nov 2002, 09:44 (Ref:422805)   #17
Teletubby
Veteran

England
Hampshire
Teletubby should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridTeletubby should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
No charge, it went in the post last night!
Old 6 Nov 2002, 17:37 (Ref:423099)   #18
Stoowert
Veteran

Zimbabwe
Caterham, Surrey
Stoowert should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It can't be THE Andy Mallins, he would have told me about it's publication about 20 times beforehand. Besides, he's not a doctor, he's a Professor in Annorakology at the Univercity of Broadmoor.
Old 6 Nov 2002, 19:15 (Ref:423168)   #19
Dave Brand
Veteran

England
Hadfield, Derbyshire (UK)
Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!
Re: Got your copy yet??

Quote:
Originally posted by Gonfra

Travel Kettle ??? Mr Brand eat your heart out!!!
OI, that should be MRS Brand!

Last edited by Dave Brand; 6 Nov 2002 at 19:16.
Old 6 Nov 2002, 20:52 (Ref:423241)   #20
Ian Smith
Racer

England
Tamworth Staff's
Ian Smith should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Did anyone notice the application for Tickets to the MSF Watkins Lecture at the bottom of Page 11.
This should be worth a visit for anyone who can make it.
Old 6 Nov 2002, 21:42 (Ref:423300)   #21
DarrellB
Racer

United Kingdom
Wiltshire
DarrellB should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think most of this will be of relevance to rescue crew and doctors for which it was initially intended and the idea of sending it to all MSA licenced marshals was to get everyone more involved. This is only the second edition meant for all and still seems to be more suited to rescue.

like Teletubby I must be quite sad because I too have read it.....But obviously not in so much detail as Gonfra
Old 8 Nov 2002, 17:01 (Ref:424707)   #22
EvilPumpkin
CCNA
Royalridge Computing
A LARGE Teapot
Veteran

Ireland
Got it Thanks Teletubby
Old 8 Nov 2002, 20:10 (Ref:424804)   #23
rick vaux
Racer

rick vaux should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Why don`t they save the money from this publication, send it only to the relevent people, with money saved, use it to constuct masive bonfire, so relevent people can bring it along to field with said bonfire, and burn their copy on it......
Makes about as much sense as publication.....

Were they taking the mick, regarding anoraks, or have i missed the plot here ?
Old 9 Nov 2002, 12:22 (Ref:425080)   #24
Dave Brand
Veteran

England
Hadfield, Derbyshire (UK)
Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!
I'm puzzled by some of the comments in this thread. Here we have an organisation dedicated to safety in motor sport, which produces some excellent material,such as the 'Pocket Guide to Marshalling', videos, etc., & which has decided to widen the scope of its magazine to include all marshals, not just rescue units, paramedics & the like, only to be met with apathy &, worse, ridicule.

Read it, folks, you may learn something which will help you perform your duties more effectively; even if you don't, it's cost you nothing but a few minutes of your time.
Old 9 Nov 2002, 18:58 (Ref:425225)   #25
Brushpusher
Racer

Brushpusher should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I would do Dave but haven't received a copy yet.