Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 19 Dec 2007, 07:14 (Ref:2091754)   #1751
racer69
Veteran

Australia
Sydney, Australia
racer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridracer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It was still racing in 1984, caused an interesting extra corner for the last few laps of the ATCC round at Sandown that year when it went off the road at turn 1.
Old 19 Dec 2007, 08:40 (Ref:2091795)   #1752
jd yort
Veteran

Australia
On An Island
jd yort should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by adz_34
Heres a curly one. I was looking at the James Hardie 1000 book from 1981 and saw a little Mitsibishi Colt that raced in the 4 cylinder class that year. I dont know what history the car has prior or after that year.

Any ideas? Where is this car today?
I seem to remember that the Colt was actually a 2 door while aren't all other Colts of that shape 4dr??? What about the Fiat Uno that raced at Bathurst in the 80's, wonder if anyone has that in a shed.
Old 19 Dec 2007, 08:46 (Ref:2091800)   #1753
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
The Fiat has appeared a couple of times since hasnt it.. in the Wanneroo 300.... there were actually two of them, one was ratted for spares...
“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House, House
“Trust But Verify” - Commissioner Frank Reagan, Blue Bloods
Old 19 Dec 2007, 11:57 (Ref:2091890)   #1754
ART Racing
Rookie

Australia
Toowoomba, QLD
ART Racing should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Fiat

Quote:
Originally Posted by jd yort
I seem to remember that the Colt was actually a 2 door while aren't all other Colts of that shape 4dr??? What about the Fiat Uno that raced at Bathurst in the 80's, wonder if anyone has that in a shed.
I believe that the original owners in WA still have the Fiat and are still racing it, or an identical twin.
Old 19 Dec 2007, 16:08 (Ref:2092003)   #1755
racer69
Veteran

Australia
Sydney, Australia
racer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridracer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Ray Bell did an "Odd Jobs" feature on the Fiat in MRA a few years back, i have it somewhere.
Old 19 Dec 2007, 21:41 (Ref:2092273)   #1756
cavvy
Veteran

cavvy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Cecchele Motors

Quote:
Originally Posted by ART Racing
I believe that the original owners in WA still have the Fiat and are still racing it, or an identical twin.
Was owned by Frank Cecchele originally, but I think he sold most of his cars, the Alfa ex Foley, not sure about the Fiat 131 Abarth that Gordon Mitchell drove in street car events (a good history that car, valuable).
Old 19 Dec 2007, 22:13 (Ref:2092299)   #1757
Nivola
Racer

Nivola should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hmmmm this little box you all talk of.

It is still around. was still leaking oil every touque trophy weekend and also still pushing its way through traffic.

Not a car with a good feeling about it in WA streetcar racing anymore.
Old 20 Dec 2007, 05:58 (Ref:2092452)   #1758
Suttory
Racer

Australia
Too far away from a racetrack !
Suttory should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I had no idea a Colt raced at Bathurst or the ATCC. Does anyone have a photo I could see of it ? As for the Uno, I'm sure MRA did a feature on it a couple of years ago. From what I can remember it should still exist.

"You could call it Falcon Unbelievable!"
Old 20 Dec 2007, 06:53 (Ref:2092462)   #1759
Forda
Veteran

Forda should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
As far as I can see, a Colt appeared in the 1981 race only.
It was an American 1.6 litre, two door version.

The drivers were lan Burrell & Rob Shute - it lasted 83 Laps.

I recall from somewhere the sponsorship on the back of the Colt was 'Cheeky Colt'.
Old 20 Dec 2007, 12:41 (Ref:2092645)   #1760
racer69
Veteran

Australia
Sydney, Australia
Burrell was still racing the car in Group C in 1984.

Here it is at the opening round of the 1984 ATCC at Sandown:

By f1_racing

By f1_racing
Old 21 Dec 2007, 08:08 (Ref:2093195)   #1761
Chatters
Veteran

Australia
Radelaide, South Australia
Chatters should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridChatters should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
That's a bit scary seeing the frame around the drivers door so bent!!
"A lot of people go through life doing things badly. Racing’s important to men who do it well. When you’re racing, it... it’s life. Anything that happens before or after... is just waiting." - Steve McQueen
Old 21 Dec 2007, 08:48 (Ref:2093207)   #1762
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
The Optima car is back.. Here

Wasnt it advertised around this time last year, promising a reshell in early 07?
Old 21 Dec 2007, 10:38 (Ref:2093249)   #1763
Suttory
Racer

Australia
Too far away from a racetrack !
Suttory should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Thanks

Thanks for those pics. Not one of the best looking, or as Chatters pointed out, one of the safest race cars ever built but still history. One question about the Optima car, I always thought that the ex Ellery Bathurst crash car was being scrapped and an all new car was to be built from scratch, but i'm looking at the ad and it shows the original car. Please explain ???

"You could call it Falcon Unbelievable!"
Old 21 Dec 2007, 11:14 (Ref:2093269)   #1764
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
The new shell is yet to be finished, so no point taking pics of a pile of bits in the corner...
Old 22 Dec 2007, 00:17 (Ref:2093604)   #1765
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
Want to buy a shiny truck... Party Central Here
Old 22 Dec 2007, 10:03 (Ref:2093697)   #1766
chavez
Veteran

Australia
The Basin, Victoria
chavez should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchavez should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchavez should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Back in the middle to late eighties there was a Colt parked outside on JC Automotive, on Canterbury Road, Vermont in Melbourne's east.

It has flared guards, a full roll cage and slick tyres. From memory it was painted in grey primer.

Could this have been the Colt in question or even a sports sedan?
Old 25 Dec 2007, 19:56 (Ref:2094787)   #1767
Camaroz
Veteran

Camaroz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
As posted in the "Historic Racing Today" - Where are Brock's racecars thread...

The Historic Touring Car Eligibility Committee (HTCEC) has deliberated on my CoD Application for my car as the 1980 Bathurst winning VC Commodore and, based strongly on the advice of one of its members, has decided that it is the Benson-Brown car (as of Friday 21 December). So there you go! I no longer lay claim to having the 1980 Bathurst Winner. It was the same member of the HTCEC that advised me that he had been contacted by the owner of the mystery NT car who told him he had an ex-Keogh car in its original (1984) condition but he didn't get a name or contact number, hence my ads in the NT Times, my ad on the North Australian Motor Sports Club (www.namsc.org.au) and countless phone calls to lots of racers in the NT looking for this car this enquiry then led to the article by the NT Times on December 13. Almost by a miracle, a poster on the brockcommodores forums (who has very close tie's with a very wealthy Queensland collector) tells us all that he believes the car that is (was) in the NT has been found! This car could be the missing Keogh car that means that it could be the 1980 Bathurst Winner (that I and past owners and crew thought I had) and is now with a very "private person" who doesn't want to be inundated with questions!!!!! In time, no doubt, it will end up in Queensland, I look forward to reading all about it in Australian Muscle Car magazine and the CAMS HTCEC verifying this most significant car. All in all - it is a miracle! Don't you agree?
Old 25 Dec 2007, 21:46 (Ref:2094812)   #1768
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
Is that like the "he said-she said" thing with the #05 and #25 Marlboro VK's?
Old 26 Dec 2007, 06:37 (Ref:2094906)   #1769
Henry
Veteran

Australia
hero to zero in two seconds flat
Henry should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camaroz
As posted in the "Historic Racing Today" - Where are Brock's racecars thread...

The Historic Touring Car Eligibility Committee (HTCEC) has deliberated on my CoD Application for my car as the 1980 Bathurst winning VC Commodore and, based strongly on the advice of one of its members, has decided that it is the Benson-Brown car (as of Friday 21 December). So there you go! I no longer lay claim to having the 1980 Bathurst Winner. It was the same member of the HTCEC that advised me that he had been contacted by the owner of the mystery NT car who told him he had an ex-Keogh car in its original (1984) condition but he didn't get a name or contact number, hence my ads in the NT Times, my ad on the North Australian Motor Sports Club (www.namsc.org.au) and countless phone calls to lots of racers in the NT looking for this car this enquiry then led to the article by the NT Times on December 13. Almost by a miracle, a poster on the brockcommodores forums (who has very close tie's with a very wealthy Queensland collector) tells us all that he believes the car that is (was) in the NT has been found! This car could be the missing Keogh car that means that it could be the 1980 Bathurst Winner (that I and past owners and crew thought I had) and is now with a very "private person" who doesn't want to be inundated with questions!!!!! In time, no doubt, it will end up in Queensland, I look forward to reading all about it in Australian Muscle Car magazine and the CAMS HTCEC verifying this most significant car. All in all - it is a miracle! Don't you agree?
No, as I had heard disrepancies in the respective stories... but what I don't understand is, which CBB car is it? The original car, which Garry Rogers remembers as ex-HDT and a very good vehicle was surely completely totalled in the McPhillamy Park carambolage in 1981... wasn't it?

What was the story behind CBB's 1982-1983 car?
Old 26 Dec 2007, 07:21 (Ref:2094910)   #1770
Camaroz
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henry
No, as I had heard disrepancies in the respective stories... but what I don't understand is, which CBB car is it? The original car, which Garry Rogers remembers as ex-HDT and a very good vehicle was surely completely totalled in the McPhillamy Park carambolage in 1981... wasn't it?

What was the story behind CBB's 1982-1983 car?
The original CB-B car (MHDT #1) was rebuilt with a new shell after Bathurst 1981 (even used all the doors and roll cage!) The 82/83/84 car is the same one.
Old 26 Dec 2007, 12:43 (Ref:2094970)   #1771
Henry
Veteran

Australia
Quote:
The original CB-B car (MHDT #1) was rebuilt with a new shell after Bathurst 1981 (even used all the doors and roll cage!) The 82/83/84 car is the same one.
Thanks for that, Camaroz, a day without something learnt is a wasted one in my books...
Old 26 Dec 2007, 22:13 (Ref:2095101)   #1772
cavvy
Veteran

cavvy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
how does this work?

Quote:
Seasons greetings Camaroz.

Question from the unitiated - how does the id thing work? Is the car recognised as MHDT #1 ?
Old 26 Dec 2007, 22:31 (Ref:2095110)   #1773
Camaroz
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by cavvy
Seasons greetings Camaroz.

Question from the unitiated - how does the id thing work? Is the car recognised as MHDT #1 ?
Cavvy - ditto greetings!

The car's DNA is #1. It was rebuilt/repaired with a new shell (GMH Part No.) from car #1 after the Bathurst crash!!!!

However, despite the CAMS HTCEC having recognised other cars in similiar situations, (some have even been reshelled out of the period) the CAMS HTCEC have strongly stressed to me that at this stage, as far as they are concerned with my car, for a CoD it can only be the Soundwaves 1983, NT 1984, or 1985 - 87 Keogh - Ellis Group A car. No reference to its 1982 configuration where all I would have to do is change the paint!

The rules are changing all the time! What was once general policy for an "Historic Racing Car" CoD is not always for Group C.
Old 28 Dec 2007, 02:28 (Ref:2095592)   #1774
Henry
Veteran

Australia
Quote:
The car's DNA is #1. It was rebuilt/repaired with a new shell (GMH Part No.) from car #1 after the Bathurst crash!!!!

However, despite the CAMS HTCEC having recognised other cars in similiar situations, (some have even been reshelled out of the period) the CAMS HTCEC have strongly stressed to me that at this stage, as far as they are concerned with my car, for a CoD it can only be the Soundwaves 1983, NT 1984, or 1985 - 87 Keogh - Ellis Group A car. No reference to its 1982 configuration where all I would have to do is change the paint!
Sounds like they've overlooked 1982... interesting dilemma all round by the sounds...

The only two other Group C cars of a similar vintage that I can recall off the top, as having been re-shelled, but continuing on their original logbook, would be DJR's XD & XE... and given that John Donnelly's XD was built from the original Tru-Blu shell, what did CAMS think of issuing a second logbook concurrently for the same shell?
Old 29 Dec 2007, 00:34 (Ref:2096013)   #1775
MPA
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne
MPA should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'd like to know how the whole thing works. What was HTCEC reasoning? I'd say if the car has a new shell I'd consider it a new car too. Doors, guards, engines, suspension etc are consumables. The big bit that makes the car "The Car" would be the body.

You did say the shell used was the MHDT #1. So I'm thinking you'd have every right to call it MHDT#1.

Last edited by MPA; 29 Dec 2007 at 00:37.