Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 9 Jul 2005, 20:38 (Ref:1351303)   #1
bosch!
Veteran

New Zealand-Maori
GodZone
bosch! should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
"Jenson Button Will Replace Rubens At Ferrari"

This rumour doent seem to be going away as the boy wont publicly deny it. I think that the agreed Ten-tenths possition ont the Williams contract (That as far as I know none of us have seen) Is that:

He is able to leave BAR if he does not achieve 75% of the WDC leaders point by the Turkish GP, ie the end of July, this clearly is going to be the case

Williams have first refusal on his services at this time BUT if he recieves a higher priced contract offer Williams have to match it in order to secure him in a seat.

Now what with the Macca seats filled and JB having fallen out with Flav the paycheck clause must have looked like a formality unless the big Red monster takes an interest..........

FW doesnt like overpaying his driving staff and the Ruebens rumour refuses to die, so do we have a chance of a surprise here?

Button keeps Formula One rumour-mill turning
Old 9 Jul 2005, 20:43 (Ref:1351305)   #2
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I don't believe that is the position in terms of Williams, bosch!.

As I understand it - if Jenson is not on 75% of the championship leader's points by the Turkish Grand Prix - he is automatically contracted to Williams for 2006, unless they don't want him.

It doesn't matter what other offers are made - if Williams choose to exercise their option, that's it.
Old 9 Jul 2005, 20:45 (Ref:1351306)   #3
Dutch chap
Veteran

European Union
Holland
Dutch chap should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
So how many contracts did he sign? Just these 3 or are there even more?
Old 9 Jul 2005, 20:53 (Ref:1351310)   #4
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
It's a minefield right now. It's believed that the Williams deal is dependent on them having works engines, and that currently looks unlikely, but everything else is a web of confusion. Hopefully time will clear it up, but with points at Magny-Cours, a front row at his home race and a possible plum Ferrari drive, maybe things are looking up for Jenson, big time.
Old 9 Jul 2005, 20:58 (Ref:1351314)   #5
Don K
Veteran

Don K has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch chap
So how many contracts did he sign? Just these 3 or are there even more?
As far as I know, he signed the Williams contract as soon as he was told that BAR had failed to force him into another contract.

After that, a commision ruled that BAR still had the right to force him into a new contract for one more year (plus an option). So the Williams contract was canceled. (Bringing the total number of signed contracts back to zero -- apart from the contract with BAR he signed in 2002.

After that, Button seems to have signed some contract with Williams for 2006, which would only be valid if BAR would not be able to use their option for 2006.

---------

So as far as I can see, Button signed:
- a contract with BAR (in 2002) for the 2003 and 2004 seasons
- a (canceled) contract with Williams for the 2005 season
- some provisional contract with Williams for the 2006 season

And BAR refused to let Button go for the 2004 season (still under contract), and they refused to let him go for the 2005 season (option under 2002 contract), and they might refuse to let him go for the 2006 season (other option under 2002 contract).
Old 9 Jul 2005, 21:35 (Ref:1351334)   #6
bosch!
Veteran

New Zealand-Maori
GodZone
bosch! should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kicking-back

As I understand it - if Jenson is not on 75% of the championship leader's points by the Turkish Grand Prix - he is automatically contracted to Williams for 2006, unless they don't want him.

It doesn't matter what other offers are made - if Williams choose to exercise their option, that's it.
I'm sure that other clause and conditions emerged through the various threads, problem is that I would have to search through 500 odd posts to find them!

I'd be amazed if a works contract wasnt one of the stipulations as thats what he used to try and break the BAR Honda contract.
Old 9 Jul 2005, 22:43 (Ref:1351386)   #7
Rich R
Veteran

United Kingdom
dudley uk
Rich R should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
leaving aside the contract situation i'd love to see move happen, it's always nice to have a british driver at the scuderia. schumacher seems to get on well with button, and button and raikkonen would make a damn good team for 07 (dream ends).
Old 9 Jul 2005, 23:02 (Ref:1351398)   #8
Logrence
Veteran

Wales
Logrence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I can't see it happening at the moment. Naughty comment from Bernie, methinks.
Old 9 Jul 2005, 23:17 (Ref:1351410)   #9
richard_sykes
Racer

Wales
Wales, Uk
richard_sykes should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
No! I dont think Ferrari would.
They need to keep the experienced drivers as the championship stands.
Old 9 Jul 2005, 23:55 (Ref:1351426)   #10
superfox2000
Racer

Gibraltar
Cheltenham
superfox2000 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
This is complete rubbish! Jensen will not be going to Ferrari!
Old 10 Jul 2005, 00:24 (Ref:1351435)   #11
JeremySmith
Veteran

United Kingdom
Austin Texas
JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!
Bernie E is turning into a spin master....
Old 10 Jul 2005, 09:40 (Ref:1351527)   #12
courageous
Veteran

United Kingdom
Chatham, Kent
courageous should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridcourageous should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
This all came from something Bernie said to a tabloid reporter (not the brightest of people). My guess would be Mr.E said something along the lines of "We will have a british driver with a Ferrari engine behind them next year".
Answer is of course Coulthard, but a gutter press non-football sports reporter can't be expected to know that.
Old 10 Jul 2005, 10:55 (Ref:1351557)   #13
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I don't think there's any value in Ferrari keeping Rubens for enxt year if Michael is leaving. that partnership has gone as far as it will go, and they need to start planning for the future (which could be without several of the other current top people in the team). Rubens will never be #1 at Ferrari, and with Alonso unavailable for now and Kimiincreasingly likely to stay at McLaren, Jenson could be the best prospect going - at the worst case he'd be a good #2 to either of those.
Old 10 Jul 2005, 10:57 (Ref:1351561)   #14
poleaxe
Rookie

poleaxe should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Haven't Ross & Jean waxed lyrical about Jenson in the past? I remember reading some of their comments several years ago, maybe they're going to bite the bullet and sign him up?
Old 10 Jul 2005, 15:24 (Ref:1351836)   #15
Logrence
Veteran

Wales
Logrence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Ross and Jean are after Kimi Raikkonen, not Button.
Old 10 Jul 2005, 15:27 (Ref:1351841)   #16
Inigo Montoya
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Canada
Toronto, Canada
Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!
I think Raikkonen is untouchable. Maybe they'll be able to convince Flavio to let Alonso join them, though...
Old 10 Jul 2005, 23:09 (Ref:1352129)   #17
Born Racer
Race Official
Veteran

Born Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
How long's Flav planning to stick around at the helm of Renault for then? Originally he was due to leave around now wasn't he? If he leaves and Ferrari seems a better proposition for his golden boy then he could conceivably end up at Ferrari I suppose.

How long does Raikkonen's contract with Mclaren last incidentally?
Old 11 Jul 2005, 05:44 (Ref:1352243)   #18
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Raikkonen is likely to be on a multi-year option with McLaren.
Old 11 Jul 2005, 09:08 (Ref:1352344)   #19
Mr V
Veteran

England
The city of bridges (one day!)
Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:

I think thats the case providing Williams have manufacturers backing - which, at the moment, they don't seem to have for 2006.
Old 11 Jul 2005, 14:54 (Ref:1352689)   #20
LampCord
Racer

LampCord should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by bosch!
This rumour doent seem to be going away as the boy wont publicly deny it. I think that the agreed Ten-tenths possition ont the Williams contract (That as far as I know none of us have seen) Is that:

He is able to leave BAR if he does not achieve 75% of the WDC leaders point by the Turkish GP, ie the end of July, this clearly is going to be the case

Williams have first refusal on his services at this time BUT if he recieves a higher priced contract offer Williams have to match it in order to secure him in a seat.

Now what with the Macca seats filled and JB having fallen out with Flav the paycheck clause must have looked like a formality unless the big Red monster takes an interest..........

FW doesnt like overpaying his driving staff and the Ruebens rumour refuses to die, so do we have a chance of a surprise here?

Button keeps Formula One rumour-mill turning

I predicted a Button / Barri swap about a week ago. Maybe I was half right?
Old 11 Jul 2005, 15:04 (Ref:1352704)   #21
Rennen
Veteran

United Kingdom
Hertfordshire
Rennen should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRennen should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRennen should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRennen should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:

I would have thought Sir Frank would want him...but JB must command a high salary now (not too sure why tho really)

JBs physiced by M$ I.M.H.O. how odd to be team mate to him allbeit his No.2.
Old 11 Jul 2005, 15:08 (Ref:1352711)   #22
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Why break one contract when you can break two

This rumour has moved a gear up at Silverstone. Why is that? Is it because Button has just put in soem great drives? Or is it because there has been an increase in British interest over the last week?
Old 11 Jul 2005, 16:21 (Ref:1352765)   #23
Menelaos
Veteran

Greece
Athens, Greece
Menelaos should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inigo Montoya
I think Raikkonen is untouchable. Maybe they'll be able to convince Flavio to let Alonso join them, though...
I don't think Raikkonen would leave McLaren now, they have the best car. Why would he leave them to go to a collapsing Ferrari? Of course, if he loses another couple of engines in the remaining races, maybe he'll start thinking about it again...

And, of course, no good driver would ever settle for a spot as a helping hand to MS.
Old 11 Jul 2005, 17:51 (Ref:1352840)   #24
hobophobic
Rookie

hobophobic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
ah there you said it tho good driver, he is alright but he aint nothing special.I think because the majority of this forums users seem to be English that they let their patriotism cloud thier judgement, I think he would make a good number 2 to MS,KR or FA.
Old 11 Jul 2005, 18:03 (Ref:1352843)   #25
superfox2000
Racer

Gibraltar
Cheltenham
superfox2000 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Why would Ferrari want Button? They would be better off signing Danica Patrick!

Lots of publicity! Faith in the American market after Indy! And best of all no chance of beating or out qualifying Schumacher!