Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 13 Jul 2005, 10:56 (Ref:1354469)   #1
BSchneiderFan
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!
"Ricardo Zonta. Discuss."

What the hell happened to him? He was a very fast F3000 champion in 1997 (beating one J.P. Montoya - whatever became of him..?), and, after he found his feet and, especially, was given qualifying duties, was super-quick in the AMG sportscar squad; my handle aside, you don't get the better of Bernd Schneider at AMG without being pretty special. I confidently expected him to make a serious impression on F1 when he arrived in 1999. Then...

Was it those wretched years at BAR? Did Villeneuve's mind-games and the woefulness of BAR break his spirit? He's proved solidly average on his brief reappearances with Jordan and Toyota, and it's obvious that the Toyota management didn't think he was good enough to promote to a full-time race seat when they changed the drivers for 2005.

So, what gives?
Old 13 Jul 2005, 11:35 (Ref:1354509)   #2
Redlake27
Racer

Redlake27 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
He always confused me. As you say, stunning in F3000, and actually very impressive at BAR. Several times he outqualified Villeneuve, but then since those days the jury has been out on JV's speed too.....

He was messy in his stand-in Jordan drives and invisible at Toyota. I think he is a driver who would have benefited from a couple of years in a less pressured environment than BAR, maybe Sauber or Arrows. However, the only real route forward for him now is champcar
Old 13 Jul 2005, 11:46 (Ref:1354526)   #3
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I think Ricardo is a mystery in F1 terms. He seemed to be psychologically destroyed at BAR (Team JV), although we mustn't forget he had some pretty nasty accidents during his time there, which doesn't help.

He was woeful in his second race for Jordan at Hockenheim after a respectable effort at Canada. At Toyota last year he did OK I thought, if pretty unspectacular. I seem to remember him looking good at Hungary, only to ruin his race at the first corner.

This year, he seems more himself. Speedy, quite impressive, a vital part of the Toyota team. It'd be nice to see him get a race seat chance with a really quick car.
Old 13 Jul 2005, 12:11 (Ref:1354562)   #4
Silk Cut Jaguar
Veteran

United Kingdom
Bath, UK
Silk Cut Jaguar should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridSilk Cut Jaguar should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Seems to be pretty quick to me, it does look like he's settled into a Luca Badoer type role at Toyota though.
Old 13 Jul 2005, 12:18 (Ref:1354567)   #5
x_acto
Rookie

Portugal
Portugal
x_acto should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Maybe he could be a good replacement driver for Ralf...
Old 13 Jul 2005, 12:19 (Ref:1354570)   #6
BSchneiderFan
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!
That would be a real shame. He was impressive too when he went back to the Dallara Nissan World Series. I do wonder if he deserves a last chance at Toyota, especially as Ralf is hardly excelling himself.
Old 13 Jul 2005, 12:21 (Ref:1354572)   #7
luke
Veteran

England
West Sussex, England
luke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridluke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Was going to make his one race return subing for Ralf. I always liked him. On his day he was quick particualy Monza 2000 in the BAR. Remember Spa last year in the slow Toyota would have finished 4th.
There's rumors he could race in a possible 3rd Newman / Haas car in Champ Car anyway...
Old 13 Jul 2005, 12:39 (Ref:1354592)   #8
ASCII Man
Veteran

ASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
He drove an excellent race at Spa last year, surely finishing fourth if it wasn't for that damn blown engine late in the race...
I think he would do better than Ralf, which isn't too hard to do IMO, if he replaced him now anyways...
Old 13 Jul 2005, 12:53 (Ref:1354612)   #9
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
He had a huge setback from Jacques' mental bullying, but he was decent in his Toyota drives last season and could do a solid job now.
Old 13 Jul 2005, 12:58 (Ref:1354617)   #10
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Average.

Well, that wraps another thread up then.
Old 13 Jul 2005, 13:02 (Ref:1354621)   #11
BSchneiderFan
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
Average in F3000? Average in Dallara Nissan? Average in GTs?

I trust your tongue is in your cheek, Peter...
Old 13 Jul 2005, 14:43 (Ref:1354689)   #12
Xpunk75
Racer

United States
Detroit
Xpunk75 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Zonta

Maybe he is like Zindardi who was fast in everything else except F1. I think sometimes some good drivers just have a hard time with F1 cars cause of the complicated steering wheel and the crazy amount of hp and breaking abilities of the car. Maybe that doesn't have anything to do with it but maybe if he wants to pursue a career in open wheel racing where he is actually a top driver he should Consider Champ Car like Justin Wilson and Sabastien Bourdias. Seems for the most part all F1 drivers who come over to Champ Car do really well except for the really really bad F1 drivers like Tarso Marques, and a few other guys who never did well in F1 and did just as bad over here in north america.
Old 13 Jul 2005, 15:04 (Ref:1354700)   #13
ralf fan
Forum Host
Veteran

United Nations
Apartment No.203
ralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
This guy was stunningly quick at times.... even in f1 he did show flashes of brilliance... like his race at SPA last year etc.

He went to BAR at a time when JV was still quick and BAR were 100% behind him.... and i think he probably never recovered from this...

Last year apart from SPA he was average IMO.... nothing to suggest that he deserved a seat for this year...
this year it'd have been nice to see him at Indy... he has done a good job in Friday testing...some very fast times... but unfortunately i cant see him getting any drives next year...
Old 13 Jul 2005, 15:57 (Ref:1354744)   #14
StickShift
Veteran

StickShift should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
If you look at Ricardo Zonta's career before F1, he has one of the best junior CV's I've ever seen.

Regardless, he's had more than his fair share of oppurtunities to show that he deserves to be in F1, and he clearly hasn't capitalised on him. I think he's missed any oppurtunity of having a full time ride.

Champ Car's overall competitiveness has clearly detoriated since the 90's. The lack of elite drivers means that the series doesn't have the same potential to kickstart a drivers career into F1. Sebastien Bourdais had one of the most dominant seasons ever in Champ Car, and yet he was quickly dismissed by Frank Williams despite his accomplishments.

Zonta might go to Champ Car because he hasn't found a seat in F1, but he certainly won't go there to get a seat in F1.
Old 13 Jul 2005, 15:58 (Ref:1354745)   #15
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Zonta will be earning more in his role at Toyota than he could ever hope to in modern-day ChampCar.
Old 13 Jul 2005, 16:06 (Ref:1354756)   #16
luke
Veteran

England
West Sussex, England
luke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridluke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by StickShift
Champ Car's overall competitiveness has clearly detoriated since the 90's. The lack of elite drivers means that the series doesn't have the same potential to kickstart a drivers career into F1. Sebastien Bourdais had one of the most dominant seasons ever in Champ Car, and yet he was quickly dismissed by Frank Williams despite his accomplishments.
What do you mean Champ Car's overall competitiveness has gone down? There has only been 5 winners in 6 races do far.
And why Bourdais didn't get a test with Williams is just wrong, yet Scott Dixon did and at the time the IRL only raced on ovals not as big challege as Champ Car. But I expect that was down to his Ganassi connections.
Old 13 Jul 2005, 16:08 (Ref:1354760)   #17
Kicking-back
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by luke
What do you mean Champ Car's overall competitiveness has gone down? There has only been 5 winners in 6 races do far.

That could illustrate that there are no stand-out drivers, of course...
Old 13 Jul 2005, 16:11 (Ref:1354766)   #18
StickShift
Veteran

StickShift should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Please don't tell me that you think this season is just as competitive and skilled as any season in the mid 90.
Old 13 Jul 2005, 16:29 (Ref:1354779)   #19
luke
Veteran

England
West Sussex, England
This is irelevant to Ricardo Zonta and his F1 career.
Old 13 Jul 2005, 17:00 (Ref:1354799)   #20
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
OT: For a real competitive season of Champcar, please see 1997-2000. Still, Champcar is back on the up!
Old 13 Jul 2005, 17:04 (Ref:1354802)   #21
cybersdorf
Veteran

Austria
Vienna, Austria
cybersdorf should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridcybersdorf should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Same as with Jan Magnussen: good results leading up to F1, and then...
Old 13 Jul 2005, 17:11 (Ref:1354805)   #22
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Jan suffered from total lack of commitment though. Can you say that about Zonta?
Old 13 Jul 2005, 18:14 (Ref:1354852)   #23
Xpunk75
Racer

United States
Detroit
Xpunk75 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
What I Ment

Quote:
If you look at Ricardo Zonta's career before F1, he has one of the best junior CV's I've ever seen.

Regardless, he's had more than his fair share of oppurtunities to show that he deserves to be in F1, and he clearly hasn't capitalised on him. I think he's missed any oppurtunity of having a full time ride.

Zonta might go to Champ Car because he hasn't found a seat in F1, but he certainly won't go there to get a seat in F1.

What I ment is, His Time to be a top driver in F1 is over because he never capatilized on his chances to WOW the top teams. So what I thought would be best for him since he no longer has a shot at a race seat in F1, was for him to go to Champ Car and maybe become a Star there and make some money winning races as a driver and catch some fame and fans here in America if he still wanted to drive open wheel race cars. I never ment for him to go to Champ Car to prove himself in order to get a top drive or a drive at all in F1. He has had the chance. I ment I thought it was time for him to move on! Move ON to a diffrent series weather it be a Open Wheel racing one or not. I just thought Justin Wilsons, Sebastien Bourdias, and other F1 drivers like Alex Zinardi who didn't make in F1 have found a home with lots of fans here in North America who love thier open wheel racing and these great drivers who couldn't show off their great skills in a terribly underveloped car in a mid to low grade team in Formula 1. Thats all i ment didnt want people to get into it over Champ Car. Champ Car is on the up and up and I believe is gaining some of the respect it lost during the split.
Old 13 Jul 2005, 19:04 (Ref:1354889)   #24
luke
Veteran

England
West Sussex, England
World Touring cars on DTM is always a possible situation if he decides to move on.....
Old 13 Jul 2005, 19:18 (Ref:1354895)   #25
Snrub
Veteran

Canada
London, Ontario, Canada
Snrub should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSnrub should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by StickShift
Most would argue that this year's CC field is the strongest in a long time, but I understand the point you're getting at. A while back there were rumours of Zonta going to CC...

I don't know what to make of Zonta. Everyone made much of "JV's mind games," but did that really happen? Recall that HHF came out in JV's defense when the "JV mind games" hysteria was in full swing.