Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing

Old 20 Aug 2009, 14:48 (Ref:2525067)   #26
knighty
Veteran

England
Essex
knighty should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridknighty should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
hmmmm......the whole green aspect of this project does seem somewhat tounge-in-cheek........I am currently working at the forefront of hybrid powertrain design and development in the road car industry, and I see no green opportunities with a dirty great 5.5 litre V10 engine........it will be interesting to learn more about their green credentials.
Old 20 Aug 2009, 15:30 (Ref:2525079)   #27
Mal
Veteran

England
London
Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by knighty View Post
hmmmm......the whole green aspect of this project does seem somewhat tounge-in-cheek........I am currently working at the forefront of hybrid powertrain design and development in the road car industry, and I see no green opportunities with a dirty great 5.5 litre V10 engine........it will be interesting to learn more about their green credentials.
Yes you would have thought if they were fully committed to the green philosophy then the zytek hybrid engine would have been a more credible route to go.

Stil no complaints from me about another P1 or a judd motor
Old 20 Aug 2009, 15:39 (Ref:2525085)   #28
TWK
Veteran

TWK should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridTWK should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mal View Post
Yes you would have thought if they were fully committed to the green philosophy then the zytek hybrid engine would have been a more credible route to go.

Stil no complaints from me about another P1 or a judd motor
Perhaps the Lord is smart enough to look/wait for a hybrid engine that actually works?
Old 20 Aug 2009, 15:51 (Ref:2525090)   #29
joeb
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Baton Rouge, LA
joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by TWK View Post
Perhaps the Lord is smart enough to look/wait for a hybrid engine that actually works?
True. I think he intends to become acquainted with the driving character of a LMP first and then move the project forward on the green scale in the coming years.
Old 20 Aug 2009, 16:13 (Ref:2525106)   #30
dj choc ice
Veteran

United Kingdom
Liverpool
dj choc ice should be qualifying in the top 10 on the griddj choc ice should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim the Grey View Post
I note they confirm the GT2 entry for Silverstone!

"Drayson Racing will continue to run the No. 87 Aston Martin Vantage GT2 in the two remaining European Le Mans Series events (23 August at Nürburgring and 13 September at Silverstone). The 1000km of Silverstone will bring to conclusion two years developing the Vantage for GT2 competition. To-date, the team enjoys a career-best finish of seventh accomplished at the 1000km of Spa (Belgium) earlier this season."

I shall miss that car.

I guess the GT2 just never quite worked, despite all the breaks from ACO.
This is good news as i am rather looking forward to seeing the V8 Vantage again, great looking and sounding car, hopefully Hexis will take up the mantle full time in Europe with the Vantage, they did well at Oschersleben with fast fred and Mucke.
Old 20 Aug 2009, 16:59 (Ref:2525129)   #31
Dead-Eye
Veteran

Estonia
Dead-Eye should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDead-Eye should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeb View Post
True. I think he intends to become acquainted with the driving character of a LMP first and then move the project forward on the green scale in the coming years.
He said on MWM that they wanted to get a proven package first and then work on incorporating green technology (no idea what though)
Old 20 Aug 2009, 17:08 (Ref:2525131)   #32
Satorian
Veteran

European Union
Satorian has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim the Grey View Post
I guess the GT2 just never quite worked, despite all the breaks from ACO.
Which is a pity, despite my low expectations for it. While I though it looked like a low-priority/low-budget effort right from the start and foresaw it never being truly competitive, it's does look and sound very nice. With GT2 developing nicely it'd be much appreciated if AM could get back to a GT2 effort, and a real one this time at that.
Old 20 Aug 2009, 18:28 (Ref:2525159)   #33
AndrewF31
Veteran

Canada
Spain
AndrewF31 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridAndrewF31 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Listening to Midweek Motorsport now and first time I hear Paul and this guy loves doing this. Can only bold well for the future of the team.
The only picture of the car available so far is the one on the website? Looks really good.
Old 20 Aug 2009, 19:07 (Ref:2525174)   #34
pederb
Veteran

European Union
Berlin
pederb has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
There is no AM factory effort in GT2, right?

Cheers
Old 20 Aug 2009, 19:27 (Ref:2525182)   #35
Purist
Veteran

United States
Wichita, Kansas, USA
Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!
Correct, the present works effort is concentrated on the LMP1 coupes.
Old 21 Aug 2009, 13:15 (Ref:2525546)   #36
KA
Veteran

KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by pederb View Post
There is no AM factory effort in GT2, right?

Cheers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Purist View Post
Correct, the present works effort is concentrated on the LMP1 coupes.
a factory development car appeared a couple of times late-season in FIA GT as an AMR entry, but that's about it- as Purist says, the LMP1 project is the priority.
Old 21 Aug 2009, 14:19 (Ref:2525571)   #37
Sinnercitizen
Rookie

Portugal
Setúbal
Sinnercitizen should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
it is truly a pity that the Vantage was such a ill prepared car, maybe in the hands of Prodrive/AMR, it could really be a contender in the GT2 field. But i wish Lord Drayson and is team the best of luck in the coming races, because they will need it! I was at the Algarve race, and really, the walls rumbled every time that sucker passed by... really, it was great to see it(altough i love the Gulf colours, in my eyes, it's a mortal sin, not to have those babies in P1, painted in British Racing Green...) and mostly, hear it. To bad it went belly up, so soon. I wished him, Lord Drayson, in the paddock area before the race start, the best of luck, but to no avail... I just wish to see that car, the Vantage, race next year, be it in Drayson's hands or someone else's...
Old 21 Aug 2009, 14:42 (Ref:2525586)   #38
The Badger
Veteran

The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!
I dont expect any miracles from this entry ..... we already have one (Racing Box) and that one of those RB entries hs an all singing and dancing squad in one car .

The Drayson car looks great though .
Old 21 Aug 2009, 15:17 (Ref:2525594)   #39
JHamilton
Veteran

United States
Atlanta, GA
JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sinnercitizen View Post
it is truly a pity that the Vantage was such a ill prepared car, maybe in the hands of Prodrive/AMR, it could really be a contender in the GT2 field.
I don't think I would call that effort "ill prepared". Dale White has had quite a bit of success in motorsport. I'd point the finger squarely at AMR. The engine package provided by them was a total disaster. While this team was not going to win championships, they could have performed better or a least finished a few races.
Old 21 Aug 2009, 15:42 (Ref:2525612)   #40
HORNDAWG
Veteran

United States
Oregon
HORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I would agree 100%! Drayson Racing is not 2nd rate, nor ill prepared when it comes to the team members, from Dale White on down.

L.P.
Old 21 Aug 2009, 16:40 (Ref:2525638)   #41
Sinnercitizen
Rookie

Portugal
Setúbal
Sinnercitizen should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
[QUOTE=HORNDAWG;2525612]I would agree 100%! Drayson Racing is not 2nd rate, nor ill prepared when it comes to the team members, from Dale White on down.

I wasn't implying that the team was unprofessional or 2nd rate. The fact of the matter was, that they had very few races in the Vantage and already they are dumping the project? C'mon, its just not right. Sure, Drayson has a lot of money, and i'm betting Dale White has is share of the proffits, come the end of the month and a podium finish. The Vantage is, imo, an even better race car than a DB9. The core fundamentals of racing are all there. It's lighter, more compact and can fit a v12 in the engine bay, if they want! Does AMR have a share of the blame, for the lack of success? Probably, i don't know. The fact is, and i can only speak of what i saw, the Vantage in the Algarve race was doing fine up until the third hour and then it's gone. While they were running, yes, they were putting on quite a show, going as far as third in class. My problem is not the team or its members, as i came to meet quite a few and i'm sure they are as professional as they come. My problem is the "lack" of faith in the car and an eagerness to run for success in P1, success that might not come at all. Racing history is made of guys like Drayson and i'm all for it. But to dump, one of the few made, race ready Vantage's after such a few number of races, is just not right...
Old 21 Aug 2009, 16:59 (Ref:2525648)   #42
HORNDAWG
Veteran

United States
Oregon
HORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
[QUOTE=Sinnercitizen;2525638]
Quote:
Originally Posted by HORNDAWG View Post
I would agree 100%! Drayson Racing is not 2nd rate, nor ill prepared when it comes to the team members, from Dale White on down.

I wasn't implying that the team was unprofessional or 2nd rate. The fact of the matter was, that they had very few races in the Vantage and already they are dumping the project? C'mon, its just not right. Sure, Drayson has a lot of money, and i'm betting Dale White has is share of the proffits, come the end of the month and a podium finish. The Vantage is, imo, an even better race car than a DB9. The core fundamentals of racing are all there. It's lighter, more compact and can fit a v12 in the engine bay, if they want! Does AMR have a share of the blame, for the lack of success? Probably, i don't know. The fact is, and i can only speak of what i saw, the Vantage in the Algarve race was doing fine up until the third hour and then it's gone. While they were running, yes, they were putting on quite a show, going as far as third in class. My problem is not the team or its members, as i came to meet quite a few and i'm sure they are as professional as they come. My problem is the "lack" of faith in the car and an eagerness to run for success in P1, success that might not come at all. Racing history is made of guys like Drayson and i'm all for it. But to dump, one of the few made, race ready Vantage's after such a few number of races, is just not right...
Well, first off, they ran a complete season last year with the car in the ALMS. Secondly, most of the problems have been engine! This is the defacto 'Works' GT-2 car, as Drayson is a partner to AMR in this project. AMR builds the engines. Drayson did 13 engine (failure) changes last season. The problems still exist, and are squarely at the feet of the AMR engine product! There is a lack of faith in the car because it has earned that dubious distinction by its performance.

L.P.
Old 21 Aug 2009, 17:02 (Ref:2525649)   #43
Gingers4Justice
Veteran

United Kingdom
Highbury, London
Gingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Badger View Post
I dont expect any miracles from this entry ..... we already have one (Racing Box) and that one of those RB entries hs an all singing and dancing squad in one car .

The Drayson car looks great though .
Why? The new Lola coupe is very fast, and if a full ALMS programme is on next year, we're talking regular podiums and perhaps even some giant killing on some circuits next year. It probably won't be up to much in the LMS, but if there are no Acuras next year you're looking at a ALMS title contender, IMO.
Old 21 Aug 2009, 17:07 (Ref:2525652)   #44
isynge
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!
Isn't the Racing Box an LMP2?

And a class race winner?

I'm not expecting the Drayson LMP1 to be bang on the pace of, for example, the works Lola-Astons or the Pescarolo but there's absolutely no reason why it can't be a good midfield performer. The most interesting benchmark for me will be with the Speedy Sebah Lola-Aston. It'll also be encouraging to have multiple Lola LMP1s in terms of factory based development. Speedy have been very much on their own this year as far new bits etc have been concerned and this effectively doubles the amount of interest the Lola factory have in LMP1.

I'd agree with Gingers re the ALMS potential too, although with the single prototype class there's the very real threat posed by Dyson and Cytosport.
Old 21 Aug 2009, 17:13 (Ref:2525655)   #45
Gingers4Justice
Veteran

United Kingdom
Highbury, London
Gingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by isynge View Post
Isn't the Racing Box an LMP2?
Yes it is, but I think Badger was referring to the Lola-Judd package not being the most reliable out there. But that's a guess!

Quote:
I'd agree with Gingers re the ALMS potential too, although with the single prototype class there's the very real threat posed by Dyson and Cytosport.
Indeed, there is a real threat, but with LMP1 and LMP2 cars being equalised, they'll be faster at different circuits, particularly ones where they can stretch their legs, such as Road America, but not at St Pete.

Much of this will depend on reliablitlity, and if a lot of money is invested in green technologies, it won't neccesarily end up being spent on developing the outwright performance of the car.

But hey, if at the end of the day they make it efficient and keep it out of the pits, it should be very competitive at Le Mans and Sebring.
Old 21 Aug 2009, 17:22 (Ref:2525661)   #46
HORNDAWG
Veteran

United States
Oregon
Quote:
Isn't the Racing Box an LMP2? Yes.

And a class race winner? Yes.

I'm not expecting the Drayson LMP1 to be bang on the pace of, for example, the works Lola-Astons or the Pescarolo but there's absolutely no reason why it can't be a good midfield performer. The most interesting benchmark for me will be with the Speedy Sebah Lola-Aston. It'll also be encouraging to have multiple Lola LMP1s in terms of factory based development. Speedy have been very much on their own this year as far new bits etc have been concerned and this effectively doubles the amount of interest the Lola factory have in LMP1.

But the ACO have just released the 2010 rules and we will see bigger restrictors for the Petrol and GT-1 engined cars to the diesels, so depending on how it is equalized in the ALMS the P-1 petrols (privateers) could get moved closer to the front also!

L.P.
Old 21 Aug 2009, 17:26 (Ref:2525664)   #47
HORNDAWG
Veteran

United States
Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gingers4Justice View Post
Yes it is, but I think Badger was referring to the Lola-Judd package not being the most reliable out there. But that's a guess!

Indeed, there is a real threat, but with LMP1 and LMP2 cars being equalised, they'll be faster at different circuits, particularly ones where they can stretch their legs, such as Road America, but not at St Pete.

Much of this will depend on reliablitlity, and if a lot of money is invested in green technologies, it won't neccesarily end up being spent on developing the outwright performance of the car.

But hey, if at the end of the day they make it efficient and keep it out of the pits, it should be very competitive at Le Mans and Sebring.
That is an apples and oranges comparrison! The P-2 DB Judd is a new engine, while the GV5 S2 (now at 5.5L) has many years of development behind it and is quite reliable.

L.P.
Old 21 Aug 2009, 17:28 (Ref:2525667)   #48
Gingers4Justice
Veteran

United Kingdom
Highbury, London
Quote:
That is an apples and oranges comparrison! The P-2 DB Judd is a new engine, while the GV S2 (now at 5.5L) has many years of development behind it and is quite reliable.

L.P.
Don't ask me, ask Badger, thats just my guess as to why he made that link .
Old 21 Aug 2009, 17:37 (Ref:2525672)   #49
HORNDAWG
Veteran

United States
Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gingers4Justice View Post
Don't ask me, ask Badger, thats just my guess as to why he made that link .
You said it, not the Badger!

L.P.
Old 21 Aug 2009, 17:44 (Ref:2525676)   #50
Gingers4Justice
Veteran

United Kingdom
Highbury, London
Quote:
You said it, not the Badger!

L.P.
Yes, but ask I'm saying Badger what he meant was the link, I was just guessing at what connection he was making between Racing Box and Drayson.