Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing

Old 29 Sep 2009, 12:35 (Ref:2550478)   #1
mz2k
Racer

United States
mz2k has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
LMP Challenge cars unveiled

Fourteen drivers tested the FLM09 cars. Hopefully, most of them can get the funding for full time drives next year.

http://www.americanlemans.com/index_news.php?n=13905
Old 29 Sep 2009, 15:16 (Ref:2550585)   #2
Fogelhund
Veteran

Canada
Binbrook, ON Canada
Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!
The ALMS publicly states that they hope for four cars. Frankly, I think they'll be a bit higher than that, and if we can get 6-8 it will be a VERY successful start, on a number of levels.
Old 29 Sep 2009, 15:18 (Ref:2550586)   #3
mz2k
Racer

United States
Of the fourteen who tested, I wonder how many came from IMSA Lites?
Old 29 Sep 2009, 15:19 (Ref:2550589)   #4
Fogelhund
Veteran

Canada
Binbrook, ON Canada
Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by mz2k View Post
Of the fourteen who tested, I wonder how many came from IMSA Lites?
More significantly, how many were representing owners of DP's?
Old 29 Sep 2009, 15:31 (Ref:2550597)   #5
DanShenise
Racer

United States
Atlanta, via St. Pete Beach
DanShenise should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The best part is that they do look like real race cars and not some weird pudgy turtle. Hopefully they'll get 6-8 of them running next year. That combined with 6-8 fulltime real LMP cars and you'll have some decent fields.
Old 29 Sep 2009, 15:41 (Ref:2550608)   #6
mz2k
Racer

United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fogelhund View Post
More significantly, how many were representing owners of DP's?
Maybe we'll get a hint from the Bear...
Old 30 Sep 2009, 22:31 (Ref:2551564)   #7
HORNDAWG
Veteran

United States
Oregon
HORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Pretty good piece at DSC on the demo/test at R/A on Sunday.

L.P.
Old 30 Sep 2009, 23:56 (Ref:2551589)   #8
MJ_N_09
Veteran

United States
MJ_N_09 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think Primetime will be one of the teams moving to this new class next year.
Old 1 Oct 2009, 00:16 (Ref:2551600)   #9
DanShenise
Racer

United States
Atlanta, via St. Pete Beach
DanShenise should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The Bear has his hint out now. I guess the powers on International Speedway Blvd don't wield the power they think they do.
Old 1 Oct 2009, 01:10 (Ref:2551609)   #10
Canada ALMS fan
Veteran

Canada
Calgary, Canada
Canada ALMS fan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridCanada ALMS fan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridCanada ALMS fan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ_N_09 View Post
I think Primetime will be one of the teams moving to this new class next year.
I had the chance to speak to Joel during the rain delay. He would like to run one plus another 1 or 2 if there are any customers (not holding my breath), just like he does with the IMSA lights.
Old 1 Oct 2009, 01:36 (Ref:2551616)   #11
broadrun96
Veteran

United States
broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Think he might have the best chance of pulling that off, has a good track record of good cars in IMSA lights, he did win the series crown right? But will he pull the Viper that he's worked pretty hard at moving up to GT2 spec?
Old 1 Oct 2009, 02:14 (Ref:2551626)   #12
bjwedgemtu
Rookie

bjwedgemtu should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
i like the new class structure that the ALMS has. I think the LMP challenge class we bring a lot of good talent into the series along with boosting car counts. It should make for some good racing though.
Old 1 Oct 2009, 03:18 (Ref:2551643)   #13
The359
Veteran

United States
Pennsylvania, USA
The359 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by broadrun96 View Post
Think he might have the best chance of pulling that off, has a good track record of good cars in IMSA lights, he did win the series crown right? But will he pull the Viper that he's worked pretty hard at moving up to GT2 spec?
Considering the Viper is not on the Laguna Seca entry list, I'd say yes.

Although it may still be too damaged from it's crash at Petit.
Old 1 Oct 2009, 11:44 (Ref:2551826)   #14
johntt
Veteran

England
England
johntt should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Slightly OT but on Midweek Motorsport last night Hindy said something about Audi anticipating sales of the R8 LMS in America come 2011, looks like we could see the GT Challenge class go to full GT3 sooner than expected...
"On a given day, a given circumstance, you think you have a limit. And you then go for this limit and you touch this limit, and you think, 'Okay, this is the limit.' And so you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further. With your mind power, your determination, your instinct, and the experience as well, you can fly very high." -Ayrton Senna
Old 1 Oct 2009, 12:25 (Ref:2551862)   #15
Steven Humphrey
Veteran

England
cambridgeshire
Steven Humphrey should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSteven Humphrey should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Think they are the same spec as the Formula Le Mans cars that run as a support to the Le Mans Series. They ran as a seperate race with 11 cars, which made for 2 dull races at Silverstone. Running them with the main series,as a seperate class (as seems to be happening in the US) would make far more sense. Noisy buggers though!
Old 1 Oct 2009, 12:29 (Ref:2551869)   #16
zac510
Veteran

zac510 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I imagine they would lap quite a bit quicker than a DP? Is DP their main competition as a category/series?
Old 1 Oct 2009, 12:38 (Ref:2551880)   #17
fieldodreams79
Veteran

United States
The Dirty South
fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
they would absolutely SMOKE DPs, no question.

i must say, after seeing the cars and seeing the initial lap times at RoadATL, i am excited about the possiblilities of these cars having good scraps among a number of worthy, competitive teams.
Old 1 Oct 2009, 12:50 (Ref:2551894)   #18
Subaru_WRX_STi
Veteran

Tunisia
Ariana, Tunisia
Subaru_WRX_STi has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
the GM engine, is from Pratt&Miller ?
Old 1 Oct 2009, 12:56 (Ref:2551904)   #19
johntt
Veteran

England
England
johntt should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Its a 6.2l Chevy LS3 engine
"On a given day, a given circumstance, you think you have a limit. And you then go for this limit and you touch this limit, and you think, 'Okay, this is the limit.' And so you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further. With your mind power, your determination, your instinct, and the experience as well, you can fly very high." -Ayrton Senna
Old 1 Oct 2009, 13:22 (Ref:2551929)   #20
trahsub
Racer

United States
Long Island, NY
trahsub should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by johntt View Post
Slightly OT but on Midweek Motorsport last night Hindy said something about Audi anticipating sales of the R8 LMS in America come 2011, looks like we could see the GT Challenge class go to full GT3 sooner than expected...
I love me some full race grids, but is there any concern that with a proliferation of the GT3 class with different makes, would it be difficult for a factory team to decide between GT2 and GT3?

In other words, could GT3 cannibalize GT2 entrys?
Old 1 Oct 2009, 17:07 (Ref:2552072)   #21
MJ_N_09
Veteran

United States
Not likely, as I haven't heard of a factory Ferrari or Porsche program in GT3.
Old 1 Oct 2009, 17:16 (Ref:2552084)   #22
Fogelhund
Veteran

Canada
Binbrook, ON Canada
I doubt this car would "smoke" a DP. Marginally quicker, depending on tires, setup and driver, but probably not "smoke". The test times at Road Atlanta were 1:17 range. Compare that to GT2.

Now compare GT2 times to DP times at Laguna Seca.

They are however much cheaper than a DP.

The European cars are indeed GM engines. I still expect the ALMS versions to have Ford based powerplants.
Old 1 Oct 2009, 17:19 (Ref:2552087)   #23
MJ_N_09
Veteran

United States
Who knows, maybe the FLM cars will be allowed too?
Old 1 Oct 2009, 17:59 (Ref:2552112)   #24
HORNDAWG
Veteran

United States
Oregon
HORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
I doubt this car would "smoke" a DP. Marginally quicker, depending on tires, setup and driver, but probably not "smoke". The test times at Road Atlanta were 1:17 range. Compare that to GT2.

The European cars are indeed GM engines. I still expect the ALMS versions to have Ford based powerplants.

The '1:17' at RA is not what the car could run if it were to have a set-up for the track and be run in anger vs a demo ride. A better comparison is how the FLM09's compared to the fields in the LMS where they consistently where on a pace that put them in the bask 1/3 of the P-2 class and through the GT-1 class and ahead of GT-2.

But I agree with Fogelhund, that it would not 'smoke' the DP.

I on the other hand have seen nothing to indicate they will run anything other than what is in the FLM09 in the LMPC-10.

If they do run a different power plant that could hamper thoughts of any of the FLM's coming over as they will not be at the same spec.

L.P.
Old 1 Oct 2009, 18:08 (Ref:2552124)   #25
JHamilton
Veteran

United States
Atlanta, GA
JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:

I just did that and I think it depends on you definition of smoke. Figure 2 seconds a lap between a DP and an undeveloped test car during a demo. There's got to be at least a second in left in it.