Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 15 Sep 2003, 00:35 (Ref:718982)   #1
Gudgeon
Rookie

Gudgeon should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Is Ingall the weakest Link at SBR

At the Wednesday pre race press conference Paul Morris said that in his opinion Russell Ingall was the weakest link in the SBR 4 car and if that was the case it was a strong team
Russell arced up and took it personally blasting Morris at the Fri post Practice Press conference On Sunday after Russell put it in the sand and John Faulkners rather ordinary performance in the 29 car It seems that the Dude is a better Judge of SBR's capability than he is in choosing Co drivers
Old 15 Sep 2003, 00:40 (Ref:718987)   #2
Dazz
Veteran

Dazz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Russel was unlucky, but im my opinion, went a long way to making up for it with a gritty drive in very tough conditions.

It would be easy to bag Ingall out for what he did, but I'm sure nobody will be harder on him than himself.

Except maybe Ross and Jimmy ......... Marcos ........ Campbell Little ......
Old 15 Sep 2003, 02:25 (Ref:719039)   #3
RaceTime
Veteran

RaceTime should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It has to be asked - how many times has Ingall lost a race because of his driving ability (or any perceived lack of)?

I will admit to not being an Ingall fan, but one thing I did notice yesterday that I give him a hell of a lot of credit for - there was no tantrum, no banging of steering wheel, no dummy spit. His eyes and face said it all 'I've stuffed up - now how do I redeem myself?'
Old 15 Sep 2003, 03:06 (Ref:719063)   #4
TMS
Racer

Australia
Brisbane, Australia
TMS should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
he did make a mistake, and it was a very costly one. However it was a good drive to still earn pos #5. Imagine how Jason Richards feels in comparison?
Old 15 Sep 2003, 03:45 (Ref:719087)   #5
Average Punter
Veteran

Australia
a drug store in Wagga
Average Punter should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridAverage Punter should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridAverage Punter should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
That wouldn't be the same Russell that threw a wobbly when Larry stuck the Castrol Common-dore in the bank at Bathurst in 2001 would it???

I thought Marcos was the one who took it on the chin best. He went up another ten notches in my book with his "I did send him out in tough conditions" call.

To be fair, Rusty stayed in the car and drove the wheels off it for 5th. Probably safer than facing a crankypants Campbell Little before he had the chance to cool down...
Punters Beer Fest. Indy 02, Clipsal 03, Winton 04, Paperclip 05, Darwin 06, Oran Park 07, Phillip Island 08, Sandown 09, Townsville 10, Symmons 11, Eastern Creek 12, Winton 13. Townsville 14. Paperclip 15, Sandown 16, Symmons 17, PI 18, The Bend 19
Old 15 Sep 2003, 03:54 (Ref:719090)   #6
Conrod Kieron
Veteran

Conrod Kieron should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Average Punter
That wouldn't be the same Russell that threw a wobbly when Larry stuck the Castrol Common-dore in the bank at Bathurst in 2001 would it???

Ingall seems to be a changed man at SBR, remember back to the beginning of the year when he punted Spud?
Old 15 Sep 2003, 04:52 (Ref:719114)   #7
kiwi_flier
Rookie

kiwi_flier should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
hes a racing car driver and racing car drivers make mistakes, dont just bag him coz of this 1 mistake.

Sure he lost them a probable 1st placing but hey thats racing, ingalls a very talented driver and its been shown this year by his results and where hes sitting on championship ladder.

Im sure if he bounces back and wins bathurst with ambrose for sbr he would have redeemed himself to the team ?????? as sandowns a good race to win for bragging rights and points but lets face it bathurst is the one race every driver wants to win of the year.

Old 15 Sep 2003, 05:03 (Ref:719116)   #8
Deano
Rookie

Deano should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The worst part about Russell spinning was that now, on the next 10 episodes of V8 Superstars, we'll hear MS say at least 5 times per episode "Pump that brake, Rusty..." or something along those lines.
Old 15 Sep 2003, 05:20 (Ref:719120)   #9
Mattracer
Veteran

Mattracer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I was speechless when it happened and as an Ingall-ite thru and thru, I couldn't believe what I was seeing.

I'm with RT on this, there was no dummy-spit but a determined comeback drive saving face for himself and getting points for Marcos. Well done, Russell!

True champions know how to take the knocks and set-backs and make something out of a bad situation. Go get 'em Russell!

Permanent circuits- the life blood of motorsport
Old 15 Sep 2003, 06:36 (Ref:719163)   #10
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Rusty and Marcos had the first of what will undoubtedly be many discussions on the subject of the crash while the SBR boys were packing away the gear last night. From the body language of the 2 participants, there will no daggars at dawn, it all seems to be sweet.

Rusty messed up, admitted it, and worked his tail off to ressurect what could have finished their race early. Marcos is still leading the championship outright so it cant be too bad huh

I somehow think Marcos was more upset at being caught eating an icecream on national television (the personal trainer will punish him!) than bearing a permanent grudge with Rusty.

In terms of Paul Morris' choice of codriver, JF did a good job in practice, being as quick as Paul in the sessions without loads of laps.

The unfortunate loss of an engine in the warmup meant that the tweaks implemented overnight never got a great run, and the car in the end was worse because of them.

A shame, because this team also works very hard, and to date hasnt enjoyed the best of luck. Perhaps a shift to 2 cars in 2004 will help the development path along
“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House, House
“Trust But Verify” - Commissioner Frank Reagan, Blue Bloods
Old 15 Sep 2003, 08:21 (Ref:719237)   #11
jetsetter
Veteran

Australia
Ipswich Qld Australia
jetsetter should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think Marcos Ambrose handled the situation brilliantly, i don't think i would've been that friendly to Ingall after he threw the lead away. On Morris's comments while i believe that Ambrose is the better of the two drivers i wouldn't call Ingall a weak link.
Old 15 Sep 2003, 08:25 (Ref:719244)   #12
Onlooker
Veteran

Onlooker should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Correct me if I am wrong but is this the second time in a row that a SBR car has crashed at the first time it applied the brakes after a pad change?Seems it is infact a procedure problem at the team!!!

"Montoya made some last minute changes to his suspension but it seemed to effect it's handling"-Classic
Old 15 Sep 2003, 08:30 (Ref:719251)   #13
MHDT
Racer

MHDT should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Even the best make mistakes, take Senna for instance.

Having said that, I would think Bathurst will be a make or break race for Rusty in this tight-knit team.
Old 15 Sep 2003, 08:44 (Ref:719264)   #14
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Different problem Onlooker, Rusty didnt pump the pedal after the pad change. Rusty wasnt the only one to have not checked the brakes before arriving at the first corner it seems, but had the most public of results.

Anyone who says Rusty is under pressure is succumbing to the Holden PR machine
Old 15 Sep 2003, 09:41 (Ref:719318)   #15
Alan Jones
Veteran

Alan Jones should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
You gotta feel a lil sorry for Russell, the pressure is on and the poor bugger was too busy tightening his belt to remember to pump the pedal. Do you guys think Marcus should also share a lil of the blame as he didn't ensure russell's belts were tight ?
Just a thought, not an accusation.
Marcus was once again outstanding when interviewed and although I was not suprised, I bet Russell was.That was the longest wait to get pulled out of the gravel Russell has ever endured and one hopes his mistakes for this year are a thing of the past.
Old 15 Sep 2003, 10:26 (Ref:719355)   #16
Quested
Rookie

Quested should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I don't think you can blame any individual for this event... the driver change is something that ought to have been practiced again and again and again so that it became second nature... if Russell had to think about belts and brakes and... anything... maybe they didn't practice enough? It ought to be 2nd nature.

Practicing those things is not the responsibility of any one individual - it is the responsibility of the team.
Old 15 Sep 2003, 10:31 (Ref:719357)   #17
A9X05
Racer

A9X05 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
About Ingall going off, it just proves to me the bloke is HUMAN like the rest of us, and makes mistakes like us too! I too noticed he didnt do the bug dummy spit, like some others have done in the past, , and just got back on track, and made the best of a bad situation!
Also about the same time do I recall, some other cars spearing off at the same corner?? was there some oil down around that time?
Another point mentioned before, was how well MARCOS handled the situation and he also just copped it on the chin, and at the end of the day, it was a fairly good result, without too much agro for the cameras!
To all the FORD/SBR supporters out there, There is still hope as there are not that many teams that go on and take the big ENDURO DOUBLE it could just be a reversal of last years results SBR -HRT 2002 HRT- SBR 2003?
Old 15 Sep 2003, 10:41 (Ref:719366)   #18
Sol
Racer

Sol should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Everyone makes mistakes and Ingall did a super job after he got out of the sand to recover a solid result from a bad situation.

Russell has been on the receiving end of similar mistakes from his co-drivers before - Larry hit the pit entrance at Bathurst 2 years ago throwing away a likely win.
Old 15 Sep 2003, 12:48 (Ref:719508)   #19
Archer
Veteran

Archer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
RUSSELL IS NOT A WEAK LINK!

He has got a new lease on life on his team/manufactuer switch to SBR.

His results speak for themselves. I'll say that again, HIS RESULTS SPEAK FOR THEMSELVES!

Sandown was a bummer, but how well Marcos, Russell and the whole team handled it was credit to the proffesionalism of the outfit. Everone buggers up, but ending up 5th after that has gotta be something for the team to cheer about, an amazing performance!
I support (V8): Holden, Holden Racing Team, Perkins Motorsport, #888, #2, #22, #11, #7, #3, #34, #51, #55, #33, #88, #18, #4, #5 & #1. I support (F1): Williams Toyota, Red Bull Renault, #15, #16, #23, #9 & #10.

RIP Peter Brock and Mark Porter
Old 15 Sep 2003, 13:57 (Ref:719556)   #20
woodbine
Veteran

Australia
Peterborough
woodbine should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Is it me or was Paul Morris just paying SBR a huge compliment. After all if Ingall is the weakest link in the team how much stronger is it than a team like Morris's where Ingall would be the strongest link?
Old 15 Sep 2003, 14:37 (Ref:719586)   #21
dsg
Veteran

Thailand
Chonburi
dsg should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddsg should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddsg should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddsg should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Most team managers go through the check list of things to do as the cars is trundling down the pit lane on the way in and out. Did anyone hear any radio chatter from Ross or Jimmy to reset the bars or pump the brakes etc.
Old 15 Sep 2003, 22:18 (Ref:720107)   #22
xrystl
Racer

Pitcairn Islands
gold coast
xrystl should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
If nothing else , the incident and the drive to fifth place shows the strength of the SBR # 4 vehicle - had the incident not occured and with the problems the other front runners had , a win for the # 4 car would have been certain. I think the team should be happy with their result and the performance of the car . I don't think Ingall's ability behind the wheel should be questioned .
Old 15 Sep 2003, 22:33 (Ref:720115)   #23
Gudgeon
Rookie

Gudgeon should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Woodbine you have caught on to what I thought Paul Morris was saying when he said that Russell was the Weakest Link in the SBR team in fact he was paying them a compliment but they did not choose to take it that way Interestingly Morris's car was the car ahead of Ingall when Russell speared off could it have been that Ingall was going to pass him as soon as possible and was playing the man and not the race.I bet Morris would have Russell as a co driver any day I don't know about the reverse
Old 15 Sep 2003, 22:39 (Ref:720120)   #24
Acj 428
Rookie

Acj 428 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I too think that this incident has just shown everyone including SBR, how strong and professional the whole SBR team are. They could have all spat the dummy and let it get too them, but no they put it behind them and are looking forward to a WIN at bathurst...: )
Old 15 Sep 2003, 23:10 (Ref:720148)   #25
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
Here's hoping Paul Morris finally gets some luck himself and translates some of that awesome car speed into a strong race result. Even with the less powerful spare engine aboard, there were glimmers of speed, despit ethe car not being set up to the drivers' liking in the changing conditions