Old 4 May 2001, 14:59 (Ref:88882)   #1
Neil C
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

United Nations
People's Republic of Ann Arbor, Michigan
Neil C should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
car abuse

Marcus' wonderful pix in the "your first car" post reminded me of some of the silly things done to cars when young and foolish, including:
-A friend had removed the body off an old Fiat sedan and discovered he could reattach it backwards. He did so only so he could take it out on the freeway to watch the expression of people as he passed them "in reverse". Cops put an end to that.
-Another friend took a pick-axe to a wreck of a '57 Ford. You should have heard that car whistle like a banshee as it rolled down the road.
-We tried to blow up the slant 6 engine of a mid '60 Plymouth Valiant. Top rev's for what seemed like hours before that little sucker gave it up.

Have you ever taken liberties with our two or four wheeled friends?
Old 4 May 2001, 15:10 (Ref:88885)   #2
Ray Bell
Veteran

Ray Bell should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Which reminds me of a stupid competition that was once held regularly in Queensland.

The VW Club there had this event called the Engine Blow, something you really wouldn't expect of intelligent people. The idea was to prepare a standard VW1200 engine and set it up on a stand, then to fire it up and see how long it would run at full throttle before blowing up.

Well, let's face it, there's not much to lose but a few VW engines...

Anyway, one competitor had been using a new oil on the market, which, via the vagaries of small business these days, is now the product sold by Cadillac Oils. He'd been convinced that he should try it in his drag car with supercharged VW power, and then he'd started running it in his delivery Kombi...

So he set up his engine, and at twenty minutes, when all the other engines had long since expired, it ran out of fuel. Refuelled, it ran another twenty minutes before it set fire to the grass beneath it...

The event was never held again...
Old 5 May 2001, 07:55 (Ref:89221)   #3
djb
Veteran

djb should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddjb should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddjb should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddjb should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Neil, an old friend's parents had an early 70's Dadge Dart, same as the Valient, with the slant 6. That engine had been around for ages, and a real workhorse. Didn't surprise me that it lasted quite awhile, they were tough old simple things weren't they?

Being mechanically sympathetic to motors in general, I have never on purpose done nasties to an engine, but when I had motorcycles, I was always amazed how when missing a shift at top revs, how my bike motors didn't make funny noises after wanging the rev needle off the end peg with a false neutral.
Old 6 May 2001, 01:37 (Ref:89527)   #4
Wolf
Rookie

Wolf should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Nope, never abused a car.. Not even other peoples cars. As a matter of fact, in all the years of driving I've only put one dent in the mudguard.
Old 13 May 2001, 01:14 (Ref:91661)   #5
smiffy43
Rookie

smiffy43 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

car abuse!!!

hows this for car abuse i got a 2000cc dohc ford sierra saloon and a 9 inch angle grinder and chopped the back off .

it is now a ford sierra pick up,and a smart one at that.
another thing i did was shifted from 3 rd to 2nd and popped a 1.1 fiesta,and it wasnt even mine it was my bosses car. Big trouble!!!!!!!
Old 13 May 2001, 19:23 (Ref:91979)   #6
Gerard
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Gerard should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Although many people are not aware of it, they commit car abuse almost every day.

Consider the morning start. The car has been parked up all night, maybe in a garage, maybe not. Perhaps it has been a cold, clear winters night, perhaps a hot, summer one. Either way the driver expects the car to start straight away. He just gets in, pulls the choke if fitted, turns the key and the engine starts.

The engine, transmission, and differential are all cold, the oil is cold, the grease in the various joints and bearings a little bit stiff, the tyres cold and unresponsiveness.
But what do many drivers do?

Having started the car they shift into first gear, floor the pedal, slip their foot off the clutch and roar away.
Racing the engine in the gears to the first junction. Slam on the brakes, and, as soon as a gap appears accelerate hard into the traffic flow. Meanwhile the cold oil is trying to do its job of lubrication and protection of moving parts. Despite all the genius of modern chemists, the oil still needs to warm up to do its job most effectively.

Consider the driver who has spent the night at one of the motorway motels. In the morning he starts the engine, drives out of the parking and blasts the car onto the motorway at 120 kph or more.
With a cold engine!
With oil that isn’t hot enough to perform to its best!

Just consider the mechanical wear that’s taking place. It’s no wonder why some people have unreliable cars, even modern ones.

Perhaps car abuse should be illegal.
How about forming the National Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Cars.
Old 14 May 2001, 00:29 (Ref:92101)   #7
Ray Bell
Veteran

It's all too true, Gerard, many don't know what they are doing when the engine is cold.

I try to be gentle with mine for the first kilometre or so, and I wince at my stepson giving his V8 HQ a good rev when it starts!

I recall many years ago there were people who left their cars idling for a while before driving, but they didn't warm the gears or diff doing that...
Old 14 May 2001, 01:36 (Ref:92108)   #8
djb
Veteran

djb should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddjb should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddjb should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddjb should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Ray and Gerard, for years I've been explaining this in any and all possible ways to no avail to the fellow that I work with. It'll be -20, he'll jump into his Golf, start it and instantly be spinning the tires like mad to get out of his parking spot, and off down the street he'll race, and the whole while I'm thinking of those poor rings and valves and everybody else screaming, "Oi, give us some warm 5w30 pleeeease!!"

You can lead to horse to water.....
Old 14 May 2001, 06:26 (Ref:92171)   #9
Ray Bell
Veteran

It's all too true... some people never listen, or just don't care, or they think you're a ratbag because you like cars!

Likely he thinks that driving to speed limits will prevent deaths, too?
Old 28 May 2001, 03:55 (Ref:97601)   #10
Langers
Veteran

Langers should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Gerard
Although many people are not aware of it, they commit car abuse almost every day.

Consider the morning start. The car has been parked up all night, maybe in a garage, maybe not. Perhaps it has been a cold, clear winters night, perhaps a hot, summer one. Either way the driver expects the car to start straight away. He just gets in, pulls the choke if fitted, turns the key and the engine starts.

The engine, transmission, and differential are all cold, the oil is cold, the grease in the various joints and bearings a little bit stiff, the tyres cold and unresponsiveness.
But what do many drivers do?

Having started the car they shift into first gear, floor the pedal, slip their foot off the clutch and roar away.
Racing the engine in the gears to the first junction. Slam on the brakes, and, as soon as a gap appears accelerate hard into the traffic flow. Meanwhile the cold oil is trying to do its job of lubrication and protection of moving parts. Despite all the genius of modern chemists, the oil still needs to warm up to do its job most effectively.

Consider the driver who has spent the night at one of the motorway motels. In the morning he starts the engine, drives out of the parking and blasts the car onto the motorway at 120 kph or more.
With a cold engine!
With oil that isn’t hot enough to perform to its best!

Just consider the mechanical wear that’s taking place. It’s no wonder why some people have unreliable cars, even modern ones.

Perhaps car abuse should be illegal.
How about forming the National Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Cars.
Not if you use Castrol GTX Magnetec (only Aussies will get this one)
Old 28 May 2001, 20:59 (Ref:98012)   #11
Bluebottle
Veteran

United Kingdom
High Wycombe
Bluebottle should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridBluebottle should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Isn't that the oil with magnetic properties, designed so that it sticks to the metal bits where it's needed?......

.....How do you drain it?

Have I missed the point?
Old 3 Jun 2001, 21:09 (Ref:100720)   #12
smiffy43
Rookie

smiffy43 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
GTX magnatex is a rip off way to get you t buy expensive oil it doesnt actually do anything that other oils dont,

you drain it the same as any other oil,same old sump plug.

if u want to use good oil use duckhams 20w50
Old 4 Jun 2001, 02:09 (Ref:100846)   #13
Ray Bell
Veteran

If it's blatant plug time, I can recommend Cadillac Oils from Regency Downs in Qld... excellent stuff, fantastic heat dispersal properties and I've seen great fuel consumpstion gains changing nothing but the oil.

Still no excuse for mistreating the car, however...
Old 4 Jun 2001, 15:36 (Ref:101046)   #14
marcus
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Australia
marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!
I own a Ford..it deserves to be mistreated

my mother used to let me take her car out once a month and give it a bit of a hoon..and she swore that after that the car ran a little better for a week or two until the cobwebs grew back in.