Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > ACO Regulated Series

Old 18 Jun 2017, 20:54 (Ref:3744976)   #176
Scorchess
Racer

Scorchess has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
It's a double edged sword. If everything is close then a few tenths here and there start to matter. The Aston was the fastest car over a stint but only by a few tenths. That just makes it worse for the guys in the cars that are a few tenths down. Because it's so close, nobody can make the difference, the only way to win is if you are flawless and the faster guy makes a mistake. I heard from the Porsche GT drivers that they could stay with the Aston in the draft but couldn't do anything else anywhere.

In a sense we're 'lucky' Stanaway decided to bin the 95 otherwise that car would have won quite easily.

So the question is now, how did the Aston become the fastest car on Saturday? Pure luck? Playing the BoP game well by being slow but not too slow? The one thing we can know for certain is that it's not because they built the fastest car. And that sucks, in my opinion.
Old 18 Jun 2017, 20:58 (Ref:3744977)   #177
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Half second a stint over a full race is only 10-15 seconds over a race distance. You'll lose more than that stopping poorly in the pits, or being blocked by the pit stall in front, or stalling the car. Every pit stop, every strategy call, every slow zone and every backmarker pass. You'll gain more than that just from a good slipstream down Mulsanne. If that's how close the BoP, I'm more than satisfied, and I don't even like Aston!
Old 18 Jun 2017, 21:11 (Ref:3744979)   #178
Bcarr6
Veteran

Bcarr6 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridBcarr6 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Honestly think the BoP was flawless this weekend and It made for great racing. I personally don't need to read any more into it than that
Old 18 Jun 2017, 21:19 (Ref:3744981)   #179
Scorchess
Racer

Scorchess has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
My point is not so much that the BoP was not well done, but that in my opinion there is no way to make up for the inherent flaws of a BoP system, especially in a factory-only class.
Old 18 Jun 2017, 22:06 (Ref:3744998)   #180
TF110
Veteran

United States
TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!
There's another bop no one has mentioned here. The tires. Dunlop were credited for having the superior hot weather tire and that definitely seemed to be the case.
Old 19 Jun 2017, 01:16 (Ref:3745040)   #181
tigas
Racer

Portugal
Lisbon, Portugal
tigas should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
But two Dunlop tires exploded. Swings and roundabouts.
Old 20 Jun 2017, 16:18 (Ref:3745535)   #182
TRuss
Veteran

TRuss should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridTRuss should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'm not too bothered by the fastest car not winning. If the fastest car is supposed to win then why should the competitors show up? Why bother with the race at all? I think anyone would agree that BoP kind of sucks, but I'm not sure what the answer is in this class. Would we prefer spec displacement, cylinder count, aspiration, layout, weight, etc? I don't know if there is an in between; I don't think there is and we all know run what ya brung isn't realistic. The BoP was massively better compared to last year and I'll take it. Hopefully it will continue to improve because I think it's probably the best way to go about it. I'm not looking for an argument, just throwing my thoughts out there. Hope you guys have a good day and don't get to caught up in race car rules.
Old 20 Jun 2017, 17:23 (Ref:3745555)   #183
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!
The rumours on MWM were that Porsche will certainly be selling this as a customer car, and Ford is a possibility. We could see these cars in the Am class.
Old 20 Jun 2017, 18:50 (Ref:3745569)   #184
broadrun96
Veteran

United States
broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akrapovic View Post
The rumours on MWM were that Porsche will certainly be selling this as a customer car, and Ford is a possibility. We could see these cars in the Am class.
I thought Porsche had all but confirmed the 'mid-engined' car would be available for '18? Sounded to me like they are just scouting how many to build on S365 back in April
Old 20 Jun 2017, 19:47 (Ref:3745579)   #185
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
Yeah Porsche will be, but Ford might be too. But I think that's a big might.
Old 20 Jun 2017, 20:36 (Ref:3745596)   #186
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Ford should, it might make people like them a bit. A bit of goodwill into the sport.
Old 21 Jun 2017, 02:21 (Ref:3745650)   #187
Articus
Veteran

Articus should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridArticus should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridArticus should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
The way that this years GTE race panned out, I wonder if the factory teams would benefit from a third or 4th car like Ford.

Porsche lost the 92 due to driver error.
Corvette lost the 64 due to loose wheel
Aston lost the 95 due to driver error
Ferrari lost the 82 and the 71 (or the 51) due to driver error.

Seems Porsche, Aston, Vette would benefit from a third car. When you enter the biggest race of the year, where the expressed goal is to win, doesn't it seem sensible to enter a 3rd car just for this race? To enter just two cars seems like you treat it like it's a regular season race, and have done nothing to increase your odds of winning the preferred race of the year.

Last edited by Articus; 21 Jun 2017 at 02:47.
Old 21 Jun 2017, 03:47 (Ref:3745660)   #188
Salamus
Veteran

Canada
Ontario
Salamus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSalamus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSalamus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSalamus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Articus View Post
The way that this years GTE race panned out, I wonder if the factory teams would benefit from a third or 4th car like Ford.

Porsche lost the 92 due to driver error.
Corvette lost the 64 due to loose wheel
Aston lost the 95 due to driver error
Ferrari lost the 82 and the 71 (or the 51) due to driver error.

Seems Porsche, Aston, Vette would benefit from a third car. When you enter the biggest race of the year, where the expressed goal is to win, doesn't it seem sensible to enter a 3rd car just for this race? To enter just two cars seems like you treat it like it's a regular season race, and have done nothing to increase your odds of winning the preferred race of the year.
It makes sense. The more cars you bring, the less the impact of each failure.

However, I think the two major barriers are budget and BoP. BoP is hit and miss. Doesn't matter how many cars you bring, if you're on the wrong side of BoP, you're not going to have a chance to win. And these GT teams most likely get smaller budgets. Fielding a third car involves having a spare race-ready chassis, extra parts for repairs, as well as three professionals drivers, and professional personnel. The logical thing to do is what Ferrari does in having two/three teams field their own cars.

Not to mention that GT cars are relatively durable. Did any GT cars retire due to mechanical failure? I don't remember any. Maybe the 64 but I don't remember the cause of how they lost the wheel.
Old 22 Jun 2017, 13:05 (Ref:3746039)   #189
Mitchi_S
Racer

Germany
LG
Mitchi_S should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Will the GTE cars still get more power in 2018? I just with they had like 100 hp more; looking at the fast cornering speeds, a little bit more grunt on the straights wouldn't hurt.
Old 22 Jun 2017, 14:38 (Ref:3746063)   #190
deggis
Veteran

Finland
deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!
"Domenicali: “No Rush” for Lamborghini to Step Up to GTE"

http://sportscar365.com/lemans/wec/d...tep-up-to-gte/
Old 22 Jun 2017, 17:21 (Ref:3746107)   #191
TF110
Veteran

United States
TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitchi_S View Post
Will the GTE cars still get more power in 2018? I just with they had like 100 hp more; looking at the fast cornering speeds, a little bit more grunt on the straights wouldn't hurt.
I think they need to be lighter so their cornering speeds are higher. That was a big complaint from prototype drivers. They sit in the corners and go so much slower it's like a moving chicane. If they had better cornering speeds it wouldn't slow the prototypes so much when they reach them there. And with the same power they have now, they won't be hard to pass on the straights.
Old 22 Jun 2017, 17:33 (Ref:3746111)   #192
MaskedRacer
Veteran

MaskedRacer User has been fined for unsportsmanlike behaviour!
Quote:
Originally Posted by TF110 View Post
I think they need to be lighter so their cornering speeds are higher. That was a big complaint from prototype drivers. They sit in the corners and go so much slower it's like a moving chicane. If they had better cornering speeds it wouldn't slow the prototypes so much when they reach them there. And with the same power they have now, they won't be hard to pass on the straights.
I thought GTE cars did have good cornering speed. At Daytona, just like Le Mans, the prototypes use low downforce aero kit. But at Daytona in the infield section the GTLM cars were able to stay with the DPI's pretty darn good even in the dry. It was only on the banking when the DPI/LMP2 cars pulled away.
Old 22 Jun 2017, 17:41 (Ref:3746112)   #193
TF110
Veteran

United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaskedRacer View Post
I thought GTE cars did have good cornering speed. At Daytona, just like Le Mans, the prototypes use low downforce aero kit. But at Daytona in the infield section the GTLM cars were able to stay with the DPI's pretty darn good even in the dry. It was only on the banking when the DPI/LMP2 cars pulled away.
Could be the tires on the prototypes in that series contributing to it as well
Old 22 Jun 2017, 22:40 (Ref:3746160)   #194
chernaudi
Veteran

United States
Mansfield, Ohio
chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!
The reason why the LMP2s were sped up was to give them more top speed to pass GT cars down the straights. Aside from two high profile driver errors when overtaking GT cars, there were far less incidents/accidents and close calls this year.

I don't exactly agree with giving the LMP2s enough engine power to rival LMP1s in terms of top speeds, but it was a change for the better.

As Audi showed against LMP2 cars in the ALMS and Peugeot showed against Audi, it's easier to overtake and defend down a straightaway than in a corner or in braking.
Old 23 Jun 2017, 08:22 (Ref:3746207)   #195
carbsmith
Veteran

carbsmith is going for a new lap record!carbsmith is going for a new lap record!carbsmith is going for a new lap record!carbsmith is going for a new lap record!carbsmith is going for a new lap record!carbsmith is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaskedRacer View Post
GT cars have good cornering speed in low speed corners. Everything in the infield at Daytona is a low speed corner, given the kink is flat for anything but a GTD. (maybe) Prototypes are massively quicker through the bus stop though.

LM kits didn't even exist at the time of Daytona and it's questionable whether the teams would even want to use them. Deal with the FIA probably means they can't.
Old 23 Jun 2017, 22:07 (Ref:3746324)   #196
hondafan37
Veteran

Argentina
Buenos Aires, Argentine
hondafan37 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridhondafan37 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
BLANCPAIN ULTRACAR GT1 SPORTS CLUB IN PAUL RICARD THIS WEEKEND
Porsche 911 GT1, Maserati MC12 GT1, Lamborghini Murciélago GT1, Ferrari 550 GT1, Corvette C6 GT1, Aston MartÃ*n DB9 GT1

http://ultracar-gt1.com/2017/06/23/b...t-paul-ricard/
Old 23 Jun 2017, 23:27 (Ref:3746330)   #197
Articus
Veteran

Articus should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridArticus should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridArticus should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
If the Lamborghini Urus does for Lamborghini, what the Cayenne did for Porsche....
Old 24 Jun 2017, 07:10 (Ref:3746374)   #198
rich07
Veteran

Australia
Victoria
rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by hondafan37 View Post
BLANCPAIN ULTRACAR GT1 SPORTS CLUB IN PAUL RICARD THIS WEEKEND

Porsche 911 GT1, Maserati MC12 GT1, Lamborghini Murciélago GT1, Ferrari 550 GT1, Corvette C6 GT1, Aston MartÃ*n DB9 GT1

http://ultracar-gt1.com/2017/06/23/b...t-paul-ricard/

Fantastic!!

And the sessions are streamed in YouTube too. I usually don't watch this series but certainly this weekend with that lineup
Old 24 Jun 2017, 10:21 (Ref:3746395)   #199
PascaLM
Race Official
Veteran

France
Near Blois, France
PascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Ultracar Paul Ricard Saturday 24 June :
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LMOzJO6TapA
Old 13 Jul 2017, 05:32 (Ref:3750852)   #200
hondafan37
Veteran

Argentina
Buenos Aires, Argentine
hondafan37 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridhondafan37 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It is a really pity to have not a GT1 or GTP category today.
The last images of the Aston Martin Valkyrie, show an impressive car and today has no place to compete.
its aerodynamic tunnels are grandiose and the V12 Cosworth derivative of Formula 1 engine it should sound awesome.
I would like too see this car in Le Mans fighting for overall victory.

http://www.roadandtrack.com/new-cars...-badge-photos/