2 1 1.27%
1 0 0%
Voters: 79. You may not vote on this poll

Old 15 May 2012, 17:12 (Ref:3074899)   #51
Hubble
Veteran

England
Bishops Stortford, Herts
Hubble should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridHubble should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesH View Post
I'll add to my comment above. In a series without aero (my experience, Locost and 2CVs!) you often see places being traded down the straights as the car behind has the advantage of the slipstream, uses it to overtake, then gets overtaken back on the next straight (or on the same one if long enough!). If the car is much faster, it whizzes off in to the distance, if the cars are similar speeds, the trading continues. This is no different to a race with aero and DRS.
Not true, as the DRS is only available at a single place in the lap (generally). So if the car that has just used DRS to overtake manages to make a break of more than 1 second before they come back round to the DRS activation line, the car behind cannot use it in return.....they could be running at similar speeds, but the car behind may not always be able to close up for the activation zone....
Old 15 May 2012, 22:59 (Ref:3075067)   #52
Paradise City
Veteran

Bhutan
Dublin
Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!
DRS is there for Penelope Pitstop excitement. I'd actually be more reconciled to it if it wasn't for "DRS Activation" zones and such external interventions. It makes the sport seem more like Mario Kart.
Old 19 May 2012, 08:18 (Ref:3076315)   #53
JamesH
Veteran

United Kingdom
Christchurch, Cambs, UK
JamesH has a real shot at the championship!JamesH has a real shot at the championship!JamesH has a real shot at the championship!JamesH has a real shot at the championship!JamesH has a real shot at the championship!JamesH has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hubble View Post
Not true, as the DRS is only available at a single place in the lap (generally). So if the car that has just used DRS to overtake manages to make a break of more than 1 second before they come back round to the DRS activation line, the car behind cannot use it in return.....they could be running at similar speeds, but the car behind may not always be able to close up for the activation zone....
If the car that got past under DRS is over a second ahead by the next DRS detection, then I would say DRS is working perfectly.
Locost #54 Boldly Leaping where no car has gone before. And then being T-boned. Damn.
Survivor of the 2008 2CV 24h!! 2 engines, one accident, 76mph and rain.
Old 19 May 2012, 08:22 (Ref:3076317)   #54
JamesH
Veteran

United Kingdom
Christchurch, Cambs, UK
JamesH has a real shot at the championship!JamesH has a real shot at the championship!JamesH has a real shot at the championship!JamesH has a real shot at the championship!JamesH has a real shot at the championship!JamesH has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dead-Eye View Post
Aero is not an artificial advantage, it's simply the implication of trying to make the car go faster. And you're not considering the fact that the car in front wasn't beamed there by accident, it's there because it was fast enough to get there. DRS punishes them for that.
Not true. There were many situations where a fast car was behind a slow car and simply could not get past (slow pitstop, drive through penalty etc). It arguable that the aero does give more than simply a downforce advantage to the car in front - the wake makes it almost impossible to overtake even if your car is much faster. Since this wasn't intended/envisioned when aero first started to appear, that makes it an artificial advantage to the car in front.
Locost #54 Boldly Leaping where no car has gone before. And then being T-boned. Damn.
Survivor of the 2008 2CV 24h!! 2 engines, one accident, 76mph and rain.
Old 19 May 2012, 09:21 (Ref:3076335)   #55
Dead-Eye
Veteran

Estonia
Dead-Eye should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDead-Eye should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Not true. There were many situations where a fast car was behind a slow car and simply could not get past (slow pitstop, drive through penalty etc).
That's exactly my point. In this case, the car in front did a better job (by not having a drive through or doing good pit stops) and is getting punished for it.
Old 19 May 2012, 09:24 (Ref:3076337)   #56
Hubble
Veteran

England
Bishops Stortford, Herts
Hubble should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridHubble should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
If the car that got past under DRS is over a second ahead by the next DRS detection, then I would say DRS is working perfectly.
But not if it's only ahead because the car behind made a small error on the lap, and was just unable to close back up to within 1 second by the activation line...
Old 21 May 2012, 19:03 (Ref:3077406)   #57
GT6
Veteran

England
MAIDSTONE, KENT, ENGLAND
GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!
only saw the highlights but gave it a 5