Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 31 Jul 2011, 08:02 (Ref:2933755)   #1
Frosty11
Rookie

Frosty11 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
F1 drivers in 2013,2014 onwards

I've watched many of the junior formulae and there are many young drivers that I believe can get into F1. Who do you think will get into F1 in over the next 5-6 years.
Old 31 Jul 2011, 08:53 (Ref:2933790)   #2
Mr V
Veteran

England
The city of bridges (one day!)
Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!
6 years time? Well, Michael will still be there for sure!
Old 31 Jul 2011, 10:14 (Ref:2933828)   #3
Born Racer
Race Official
Veteran

Born Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I hope so. Imagine if he raced into his 50s.
Old 31 Jul 2011, 13:08 (Ref:2933899)   #4
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
JV !
Old 31 Jul 2011, 18:32 (Ref:2934126)   #5
stripedcat
Veteran

stripedcat should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridstripedcat should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Don't be silly everyone. We all know, that in those years, the number of drivers and teams will be vastly reduced. Mainly because they will be going : "What's a TV viewer?"
Old 31 Jul 2011, 19:18 (Ref:2934149)   #6
JamesRamone
Veteran

England
Just outside Leeds, West Yorkshire
JamesRamone should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Grosjean, and Vergne are two who probably will.

Down F0rce: "More than a few, but the strangest one was when Jos Verstappen and Enrique Bernoldi scored a one-two for Arrows and were apparantly so impressed by each other's driving, they sang "Wind Beneath My Wings" to each other in the press conference."

Brilliant
Old 1 Aug 2011, 03:24 (Ref:2934280)   #7
Razzzor
Veteran

New Zealand
New Zealand
Razzzor should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRazzzor should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRazzzor should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Mitch Evans and Richie Stanaway!
Yes, I'm a New Zealand.
Old 1 Aug 2011, 10:57 (Ref:2934415)   #8
jondownunder
Veteran

United Kingdom
England
jondownunder should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridjondownunder should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Kevin Korjus - potentially very special indeed, a strong 3rd overall in his first season of F.Renault 3.5, and managed by Gravity Sport Management.

I too think Vergne definitely has the talent to make it into F1 with Toro Rosso/Red Bull. He and Ricciardo have been far more convincing than Buemi and Alguersuari ever were in the junior formulae.

From the same series Alex Rossi seems inherently talented, but what are the chances of someone from the USA being given a chance in F1?

Romain Grosjean deserves another chance, and looks like he'll get it. He's clearly the stand-out in GP2, as was the case when he was disastrously drafted into Renault before. Plenty of other competent guys in GP2, but I really don't think anyone else in GP2 at present has that special something.

Mitch Evans has shown raw talent in everything he does, could potentially be F1 material in a few years time. With the links he has to Red Bull via Arden and Webber, I'm surprised he's not already been picked up as one of their junior drivers. Unfortunately by not being the right nationality, or not having a Red Bull, Telmex or a PDVSA behind them, a lot of talented drivers will probably never make it into F1 on talent alone.
Old 1 Aug 2011, 13:09 (Ref:2934499)   #9
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!
i only really know a lot about the fr3.5 and fr2.0 eurocup series, so you can have my opinion on those

kevin korjus and jean eric vergne are both total no brainers. if gravity can nurture korjus' talent and not push him through to f1 too quickly he's honestly world champion material. he just climbs in something and is quick - witness his wins this year in fr3.5 in his debut season. i'm a massive jev fangirl, but i do think he's better than ricciardo. he's a very articulate guy when he's talking about things he can talk about rather than red bull decided things, and his english is superb. he's also ridiculously quick (duh) and has been the only driver to win both races in a weekend so far this season.

i agree with mitch evans, he seems to be promising and he's got the best mentor possible in mark webber.

robert wickens is quick, but he hasn't been as consistent as vergne in the same team. he's also lost quite a few points due to errors which you'd hope his experience would have dealt with by now. if he's fr3.5 champion by the end of the year i'm willing to eat my hat though!

alexander rossi i think needs a good consistent season. he's had a couple of big mistakes this year (monaco, and he got involved in some mid-field shenanigans in both races at the nurburgring), but when he's on it he's really good. he's also very articulate and would be a great ambassador for the usa in formula one.

looking a bit further down (so maybe 2015-16 in f1, if it still exists) there's carlos sainz junior in the formula renault eurocup with red bull. both him and daniil kvyat have been pretty good this year in a HUGE field with some seriously competitive opposition. they're very young though, which gives red bull about 3-4 years between jev and them. away from red bull in the same series there's robin frijns who's leading the series at the moment and third in the nec series too. gravity have a young spanish lad called javier tarancon who seems a bit inconsistent so far but on his day is really quick. there's 3 or 4 formul'academy/f4 eurocup graduates from last year being pretty competitive - paul loup chatin, mathieu jaminet and norman nato are french and stoffel vandoorne who's belgian. they're all in their second year of car racing and they're all right up there. all 3 have had a podium this year and chatin is in with a chance of winning the fr2.0 alps title if he plays his cards right.

in terms of up-and-coming british drivers i'm not really sure who to suggest. alexander sims has always been hyped up and marked for success but as yet he hasn't been picked up by a f1 team? lewis williamson did an excellent job in fr3.5 at motorland when he stepped in for ricciardo and he's doing well in gp3. there's a british-singapore kid called melville mckee in the eurocup and the alps series who seems to be producing some pretty awesome pace too, i think it's his first season of cars. he's actually 4th in the alps series which is seriously good.
Old 1 Aug 2011, 22:53 (Ref:2934757)   #10
strider
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Middle Earth
strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!
If you want a couple of likely lads from British F3, I'd choose Felipe Nasr, who won Formula BMW Europe in its last year and is virtually champion elect in BF3 this year, plus Kevin Magnussen, who is probably just as fast but has no good luck at all.

Nasr is managed by the Robertsons, who previous charges have been Jenson in his early days and Kimi, whilst Magnussen (son of Jan, but much more polished) is part of the McLaren Young Driver Programme, so they won't want for support..
Old 1 Aug 2011, 23:12 (Ref:2934763)   #11
Razzzor
Veteran

New Zealand
New Zealand
Razzzor should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRazzzor should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRazzzor should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
What they need to be careful of with these young drivers is they don't get thrown into F1 too early. It worked out for Vettel, but he had the ability to be fast straight away, just like Hamilton did.

Some other drivers take a bit longer to get up to pace (Mansell) and putting them in too early could ruin their career. Mitch Evans needs another year of Gp3 and a good couple years of Gp2 before attempting F1.

Grosjean, on the other hand, needs to make the leap now - he's ready.
Old 2 Aug 2011, 09:35 (Ref:2934894)   #12
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
I also suspect Esteban Gutierrez will be there by then, joining his compatriot (or replacing) Perez. He's gettting quicker and quicker in GP2, comes with experience I suppose. My money would be on him taking the title in 2012.

I don't really see anyone consistently stellar in GP2 right now though other than Grosjean, as jon dow nunder says. Sam Bird is quick, Ericsson ditto and he seems to be maturing nicely, Bianchi, can't seem to keep his head straight but is bloody quick and Charles Pic, who is nearkly there but a bit hot and cold.

There are better bets for the next 2-3 seasons in FR3.5 as Bella rightly points out. JEV, Rossi, Wickens, Korjus to name but 4.

There's a small selection of drivers who now and again come onto the radar (ok my radar!) with a good drive, people like Panciatici in 3.5, Vietoris in GP2, looks to me like if they could hone their skills a little more and calm down a bit they could be seriously good in future?
Old 2 Aug 2011, 09:51 (Ref:2934899)   #13
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Razzzor View Post
What they need to be careful of with these young drivers is they don't get thrown into F1 too early. It worked out for Vettel, but he had the ability to be fast straight away, just like Hamilton did.
this is less likely to happen now - red bull are so on top of their drivers abilities and mental state that they know exactly when to bring them into f1. gravity so far seem to be managing it right as well, and they're trying a very diverse set of series too. the non-f1 managed drivers who won't be able to adapt to f1 seem to trip up in gp2 now, the amount of tracktime, though not that far off f1 is really harming the first year drivers, especially those on a budget. those who can handle it are doing well anyway. the guys who didn't get the combination right in gp2 are young enough to take a step back, gain more experience and support and have a second try at it if they can get the backing or try other ways into f1 or into a career in motorsport driving or managing.

for a while ending up in f1 too soon was a real risk after raikkonen ended up there with very little experience especially because f1 seats at the time were scarce for new drivers. but now there's more opportunities for rookies (hate that word) it seems to have gone back to common sense a bit more.
Old 3 Aug 2011, 07:02 (Ref:2935261)   #14
deeks6
Veteran

deeks6 User has been fined for unsportsmanlike behaviour!
Apparently JPM is sick of NASCAR (and being a world famous author of colouring books) ...
Old 3 Aug 2011, 07:06 (Ref:2935263)   #15
deeks6
Veteran

deeks6 User has been fined for unsportsmanlike behaviour!
Quote:
Originally Posted by strider View Post
If you want a couple of likely lads from British F3, I'd choose Felipe Nasr, who won Formula BMW Europe in its last year and is virtually champion elect in BF3 this year, plus Kevin Magnussen, who is probably just as fast but has no good luck at all.

Nasr is managed by the Robertsons, who previous charges have been Jenson in his early days and Kimi, whilst Magnussen (son of Jan, but much more polished) is part of the McLaren Young Driver Programme, so they won't want for support..
Yep, theres two for sure
Old 3 Aug 2011, 20:11 (Ref:2935530)   #16
Mekola
Veteran

Kiribati
Atlantis
Mekola should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMekola should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMekola should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I expect Nelson Piquet has not given up with his drivers into a future F1 gamble. First, he has Luiz Felipe Nasr, who is battling now for the British F3 title. An also has another son, Pedro, now a teenager, on Brazilian karts. Time will say if Nelsao can put another of his promoted drivers into F1, when the shadow of Singapur-gate will be dissolved.
Old 3 Aug 2011, 20:16 (Ref:2935539)   #17
Mekola
Veteran

Kiribati
Atlantis
Mekola should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMekola should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMekola should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
BTW, wonder if Italy can put another to his drivers into F1. Luca Filippi comes to mind as a possiblity, but I have more faith in Davide Rigon. Should Minardi stay in F1, no doubt his team would have given Rigon a titular ride in one of their F1 cars.
Old 3 Aug 2011, 20:27 (Ref:2935544)   #18
rocketcar
Rookie

United Kingdom
Colchester
rocketcar should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Jolyon Palmer. extremly good in f2 last year. and his dad has the money to pay for it.
Old 3 Aug 2011, 22:06 (Ref:2935586)   #19
jondownunder
Veteran

United Kingdom
England
jondownunder should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridjondownunder should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mekola View Post
BTW, wonder if Italy can put another to his drivers into F1. Luca Filippi comes to mind as a possiblity, but I have more faith in Davide Rigon. Should Minardi stay in F1, no doubt his team would have given Rigon a titular ride in one of their F1 cars.
Yeah, I think Rigon would be deserving of a shot for what he did in Superleague and Euroseries 3000. Such a shame his GP2 season was ruined by injury. I too rate him higher than Filippi, who's solid but should have done far more in his time in GP2. He knows F1 isn't his future and is looking towards IndyCar.
Old 4 Aug 2011, 14:36 (Ref:2935827)   #20
Rf1 Fan
Veteran

Rf1 Fan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
i hope charles pic can get a chance.
Old 4 Aug 2011, 20:02 (Ref:2935938)   #21
Jacques Rabbit
Veteran

Slovakia
Jacques Rabbit should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJacques Rabbit should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJacques Rabbit should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I'm not sure if Robert Wickens is good enough, but it would certainly make me happy to see someone I've followed from the start make it to the top. Never happened before, since there haven't many North Americans fit for F1 recently (I didn't see Pérez when he raced in the U.S., though from what I gather anyone who did is shocked he turned out to be as good as he is). Wickens may be too good of a bloke for this F1 stuff, though.

I've only heard positive things about Mitch Evans, and the little I've seen gives that some validation. I like Kevin Magnussen, but it's hard to say how far he'll go. I kind of thought Rio Haryanto had a bit of potential, honestly, but I'm thinking I thought wrong.

And then there's Alexander Rossi, another of the guys I've followed from about the start. Will he sneak his way into F1 on nationality when there seems to be a big push to make F1 work in the U.S., and there having always been so many American brands in the sport? Perhaps, but no disrespect to him, he doesn't deserve it. He's in that category where he's above IndyCar and below F1. Really fast but you only go so far when all you can do is win a race at the very start after impressive testing and then be **** the rest of the season, which is essentially what he's done in GP3 and WSR now.

I will admit there is a bit of bias against him on my end, though.
Old 18 May 2012, 10:47 (Ref:3076040)   #22
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
So... what chance is there, that a Red Bull supported multiple World Champion in his chosen discipline, who has today announced his retirement from that discipline, may be parachuted by his common sponsor into either RBR or STR for at the very least a test, at the most a season of competition next year?

And could Mr Stoner do the job?
“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House
Old 18 May 2012, 17:00 (Ref:3076183)   #23
Ultimo
Veteran

Ultimo should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridUltimo should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by bella View Post
robert wickens is quick, but he hasn't been as consistent as vergne in the same team. he's also lost quite a few points due to errors which you'd hope his experience would have dealt with by now. if he's fr3.5 champion by the end of the year i'm willing to eat my hat though!
Just saw this; eat your hat while listening to O, Canada!
Old 18 May 2012, 21:29 (Ref:3076249)   #24
Richard B
Racer

United Kingdom
Oxford
Richard B should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by strider View Post

I'd include James Colado and Oliver Turvey and maybe Max Chilton (who's got the funding to "buy" a drive)
Old 18 May 2012, 21:36 (Ref:3076250)   #25
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultimo View Post
Just saw this; eat your hat while listening to O, Canada!
hat already eaten my only comment is look who's in f1 now... mind you if schumacher keeps driving like a tuesday there's a spare seat for a mercedes young'in going next year...